shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby gift?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When it comes to some very basic aspects of normal life, I am a complete neophyte: I''ve never attended a wedding (except for my own, and that was a beachy elopement), and I''ve never really had any contact with babies. Like, at all: I''m the only child of only children, and my friends have yet to spawn. Except for one ....

A couple of my husband''s friends have just had a baby (yay!), and I''d like to get them something nice, but I have NO idea what''s appropriate. Newborn clothes? Stuffed animals? Diaper Genies? HELP! Any and all suggestions welcome, though I think we''d like to stay below the $100 buck mark.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would a gift card feel too impersonal for you? If yes, maybe you can do a GC plus something else. Like a gift card for $75 to Babies R Us and a little toy or something (to stay under $100) I just love gift cards...lets them get whatever they need.

Red Envelope sometimes has really unique baby gifts...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
A gift card would be fabulous, otherwise check Babies R Us and any big baby stores in the area (often even target) for a registry. The LAST thing a new mom usually needs is newborn clothes, so keep that in mind. Most people buy newborn clothes, so she'll have a ton and they will grow out of it before they can wear them often!

But I know that as a soon to be new mom I would totally appreciate a gift card.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Another soon-to-be-new-mom here. I would appreciate a gift card. It would come in very handy when we need to get stuff we need.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t had a chance to do the new baby gift thing, but my mom always split it: 1 pretty thing, and then something practical (like a gift card). Basically it was something to coo over and something to help.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
this is a bit out of the ordinary, but the last shower i went to someone gave the mom to be a certificate for a session with a local photographer so that the mom could get pics of her newborn baby. everyone went nuts over the gift.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Heheheh :)

If you can get a designer baby bag for under $100... something like Timi & Leslie (who do some awesome ones)... it''s always lovely to have an alternative & stylish bag, especially if they''re a ''yummy mummy''.

Gift cards are great - if you can find a gift card for a place that takes impressions of the baby''s hands & feet, that can be a really special gift.

I had impressions of my son''s hands & feet done in clay when he was 5 weeks old. They fire & glaze them & then frame them... and I treasure those so much now... such tiny little hand & footprints. :)

I would tend to steer clear of soft toys - babies always have millions.

If you want to buy clothes buy the next size, or two sizes up. Most people are likely to get ''Newborn'' size, so something in 0-3 or 3-6 months will be great.

Alternatively, something for the mother, like a gift voucher for a massage, is aways nice!

x x x

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These are all terrific - thank you, guys!

Me, I love gift cards, but my husband has some kind of a strange aversion to them (thinks they''re impersonal): in this case, I think I''m going to overrule him. Cleo, she''s *definitely* in the "yummy mummy" category (think a shorter Claudia Schiffer), but I''m not sure I know her taste well enough to buy her a bag ... but the clay impression or the photographs (awesome idea, JCrow!) are definite maybes! Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
if you go to babiesrus you could see if they have registered... i always get a cheap laundry basket and fill it with newborn baby clothes and undershirts and cloth diapers... just a thought

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am SURE she registered somewhere (probably BRU) Please, please, please RESIST the clothes. I KNOW they are adorable but if you saw how many unworn things I just boxed up it would make you cringe. I do a special box that I just explained in the mommy thread. Or I love the idea of some classic board books, something big (like exersaucer or swing), or a theme (her bathtub filled with baby soap, towels, etc...what ever you decide include the gift receipt.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
I love giving classic books like Goodnight Moon, The Runaway Bunny, Where the Wild Things Are, Peter Rabbit, Dr.Seuss classics etc.
My parents read to me from the time I was a teensy baby and I loved it. They would also read stuff to me like "Ode to a Grecian Urn"too.
Um yeah as a wee one I ended up with a crazy vocabulary that cracked adults up much to my dismay.

I think books are great and usually it won''t be a gift they have a million of if you are at a shower. You can also give a book and a theme item that goes well with the book. Like Bunny book/bunny themed clothing item, soft sock set etc. Books are easy to pick up in the regular course of errands or online-Costco or Amazon and easy to send in the mail.

Even though it is a much less useful gift compared to something to stick stinky diapers in, I have given a few Reed & Barton music boxes to people whose style it really matched. They really dug them.

I have also heard of the campy gift of a diaper full of cash a "loaded" diaper har har har.
1.gif

All depends on their taste.

Mrs.2Artists

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
I always like the classic Baby Blanket. You know it'll fit, they can use them for a long time (where as clothes they grow out of in 2 seconds) and sometimes they even become a keepsake.

Also you can monogram if you want to make it fancier.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I agree she''s probably registered somewhere, so look into that first to see what she has already received. I agree with others that baby board books are fantastic gifts, and they usually don''t get many of these at a shower, if any. I''ve been giving those lately to the showers I''ve been invited to (going to one Sunday in fact.)

Blankets are nice, and there are so many super soft ones (so soft I want one in fact!), but people do tend to overdo on those as well since they are such a great gift. My friend received way too many blankets at her shower last November - more than she could ever use. Same for baby clothes - they are so cute, and of course we are all drawn to them in the store "awwww, look how cute this outfit is?" How many times have I said that? But the new mom does end up with way too many. In fact, the shower I''m going to on Sunday, the mom to be hardly registered for any clothes which is smart because she''ll probably get a bunch anyway. When I do give clothes, I always buy the 3-6 months or even the 6-9 mos. size because I know she won''t get any of those probably and they are useful later. Especially onesies.

Let us know what you decide! I love buying baby stuff.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Circe,
Here are my fave gifts that I received and have given to other new parents:

Baby Bjorn baby carrier - I used mine non-stop the first year!

Non-toxic, beautiful, handpainted Holztiger wooden animal toys from Germany - we received some at my baby shower and added to them over the years and my 6 year old STILL plays with them (as do I). They are a joy to look at and to hold. Ostheimer also makes this type of wooden toy and they last forever.

Folkmanis puppets are incredibly soft and realistic and will be favorites of both parents and children, alike.

Also love the classic books idea because those last forever and are special. Goodnight Moon, Little Donkey Close Your Eyes, Guess How Much I Love You and the others that 2Artists Listed are all wonderful books for kids and adults to enjoy for years to come.

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh this is a good gift too
http://www.bumboseat.com/

My friend had a baby last year and she specifically asked for this so I got it for her. aparently it''s very helpful in letting the baby sit up, making feeding easier etc.... she loved it.
oh and if you Youtube Babybumbo there are some HILARIOUS videos.

NuiX

Rough_Rock
I share your husband''s aversion to gift cards. When I give them I feel lazy and don''t feel like I''ve put any real effort into finding a unique gift. People who know me know I don''t care what you give me as long as you thought about me and my needs/wants when you got it. I''d rather have a $5 necklace you made at home to match an outfit I love than a $100 gift card to a restaurant or store.

As for baby gifts, depending on the mom, I''ve given anything from Tiffany rattles and savings banks to hiring a maid service to clean their house the first week home to making home cooked meals I deliver to their house every night for the first week (I''ve had that done by a catering service too when my friend from Hawai''i delivered). I think it''s best to examine their needs and their personalities and go from there.

NuiX

Rough_Rock
If all else fails, think "what would Brie Van de Kamp give?" I guarantee that finding a classy, thoughtful gift, will be remembered and treasured far more than baby clothes or the diaper pail they buy with your gift card. And if it''s treasured and loved, then you didn''t waste your money.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah that is a nice idea to give clothes for a bit older to do something a bit different. My wise, lovely and very practical Aunt even gives people toddler sized clothes.

A nice soft robe is a lovely gift also. There are many cute ones some even have little animal ears etc. on them. If you needed to add to the gift other bath accessories could be included like the ones suggested above.

I have also given Reed & Barton birthday candle holders. I have seen a number of different types and they are a good gift to give for anyone on a tight budget. They are very elegant looking but affordable also and off the beaten path. There are also little baby tooth boxes etc. for those on a budget.

Again not the most practical compared to many other gifts but still classy and affordable and not one a ton of people at a shower will be giving.
1.gif

Mrs.2Artists

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot these, I ordered some for myself (yes, from the USA!) when my son was a baby.

They''re very inexpensive but just sooo usefu,l, convenient & stylish. Way more chic than just carrying a nappy & wipes to the changing area when you''re in a restaurant or something...

http://www.diapeesandwipees.com/index.html

Just thought I''d post it for anyone that hadn''t found them yet. :)

x x x

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
No robes! What baby do you know "lounges" around in a bathrobe. I got three of them (not one has been used). Also I seriously got 20+ blankets.

ETA: Cleo I have that and really like it. My SIL also got me the "diaper clutch" that is super cute and has a space for travel wipes.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
I know of no babies that kick it Hugh Hefner style in a robe all day (maybe with a nice cigar LOL)but I think that the robes that are a hooded towel no arms to mess with just a regular old towel with a hood are fab and yes make cute photos.
9.gif

Mrs.2Artists

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
hooded towels are KEY! Very nice to have. Poor robes I guess will go to charity and well as the baby slippers someone bought us. Yes...slippers...

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I also have the "baby clutch" for travel wipes....super cute! I also LOVED these leg warmers. I used them all the time when my daughter was a couple months old. She would be dressed in onsies most of the time, but when it got a little chilly, I'd just put these on and they'd keep her warm. They were also helpful when she started crawling. AND...I wore them as a little girl in the 80's so I think they're sooooo Flashdance
9.gif

http://www.babylegs.net/newWeb/home.php?main=home&sub=home

I believe they've started selling these at Target.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Something I could not live without that I ended up buying for myself because no one gifted it to me was my HOTSLING.

Both of my boys LOVED being in it, and it''s the most versatile sling out there... 3 positions with no buckles or clips or anything!

Comes in all sorts of colors and even one for poolside! You will have to know the moms dress and bra size to get the fit... www.hotslings.com

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 8:33:57 PM
Author: Cleo
Heheheh :)

If you can get a designer baby bag for under $100... something like Timi & Leslie (who do some awesome ones)... it''s always lovely to have an alternative & stylish bag, especially if they''re a ''yummy mummy''.

Gift cards are great - if you can find a gift card for a place that takes impressions of the baby''s hands & feet, that can be a really special gift.

I had impressions of my son''s hands & feet done in clay when he was 5 weeks old. They fire & glaze them & then frame them... and I treasure those so much now... such tiny little hand & footprints. :)

I would tend to steer clear of soft toys - babies always have millions.

If you want to buy clothes buy the next size, or two sizes up. Most people are likely to get ''Newborn'' size, so something in 0-3 or 3-6 months will be great.

Alternatively, something for the mother, like a gift voucher for a massage, is aways nice!

x x x
I second that suggestion!

I have the Timi & Leslie Large diaper bag in Dotty - like this one... http://www.taketwomaternity.com/tileedlabedi.html
and I LOVE it! It has tons of room for TWO babies in diapers, yet still fits into one of the small baskets on my side by side double stroller. It is fabric with clear plastic over it, so it''s super easy to clean.
Comes in a variety of colors and styles. They make some great bags!

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 11:36:24 PM
Author: luvmyhalo
Ooooh, good idea LuckyTexan! I had a hotsling also and it was great! A few of my friends had Babyhawk''s and they looked SUPER comfy!

http://www.babyhawk.com/

This might be too personal if you don''t know her well, but this was also useful..

http://shop.bebeaulait.com/shop/hhnc
I actually MADE myself a ''boobie bib'' and neither of my boys would ever tolerate me using it!!! They wanted to see the world around them!

I saw a tee on a pro boobie fed baby site once that said "if this offends you put a blanket over YOUR head" and it always makes me laugh when I think of it because my boys would never let me cover them up!!! Little stinkers.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slightly OT: reading this thread, i decided to check BRU for two different couples, and VIOLA, they are registered. yay!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ladies, you are the best - this is a trove of info. for future baby gifts.

A little bit of background: she and I aren''t especially tight (more circumstantial than anything else, as this has been a hella busy year for the both of us, her with pregnancy and work, me with relocation and work), but I''m very fond of her, and my husband and her husband are tight: I''d really like to get her something useful and lovely. They''re a grad. couple who''re going to be here for another year or so on fellowship, so I''m thinking large practical items will be handier than small delightful things. Right now, I''m leaning towards a little peridot ring (the baby''s birthstone) and a gift certificate. Like my husband, they''re Swedish, so I don''t believe they''ve registered anywhere(if he''s to be believed, registering and gift cards are both kinda not on in Swedish culture), so I''m flying blind on this one, and just hoping that these gifts will fit the bill ....

P.S. - If y''all say otherwise, I''ll definitely amend the gift: the ring will stay, as I just spent three hours on it, but if you think a more baby-oriented little-gift *and then* something else are better, please say the word.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I think the peridot ring is a wonderful idea.

Can you get the inside engraved with the baby's name and date of birth?

When I had my son I had such an urge to have a piece of personalised jewellery with his name on - and adding her bby's name and DOB would make your already special & thoughtful gift even more so. :)

I think she will absolutely love the ring, and gift cards - what a lovely friend you are. :)

x x x

*ETA* I was thinking of the engraving on the inside of the ring, just to clarify. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results