shape
carat
color
clarity

Are/Were you a ''Princess''?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
I think I've outgrown many of the tendencies but this book still kills me...

_The BAP Handbook_ at Amazon

(not the Halle B. film) but Black American Princesses, the book..

now I need a BJAP(JewishBAP) book
5.gif

Qs:

Are you(or were you) a Princess(yes, i'm asking this here at PS.lol.)?
Self-proclaimed or dubbed/accused?

Why do you think you've been pegged as one?
What are the (dis)advantages of wearing the invisible tiara?
For non-princesses: do you have one in your life? Please tell us about her.

What does it take to evolve from Princess to Queen? Is it absolutely necessary to change?

it's late & i hope this makes sense. lol.
37.gif

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
I know I am a bit of a princess. Spoiled only child here. My name actually means princess (and I wear a keychain that proclaims it so
3.gif
) and fiance is taken to calling me that when I am being lazy and asking him to get this or that for me.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know that Id say that, snob definitely, but by my own doing ;-)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i personally think all girls should be princesses, at least to themselves. i firmly believe in spoiling ones self and doing what makes you happy.

life is too short to want and not have IMO...esp if you can afford it, and if it's about 'things' that will make you happy, and not just material things but rather traveling or pampering or furthering a hobby or whatever...do what makes you feel good.

so i think this kind of mentality could make others view me as a princess or spoiled...but then again all my friends are the same way so we don't tend to notice it about each other at all. the only reason i sometimes feel that others are not ALL like this is because greg is from the east coast and he was not raised the way i or any of my friends were, he comes from a more restrained family and household...and he is much more about lots of productivity giving small rewards and that type of thing, whereas my whole being is centered around being happy so if i want it i do it. so if i ever hear about being spoiled or high-maintenance or princessy from anyone, it's from him...aka he calls my world the 'happy california bubble'.
2.gif
but he has changed alot since coming to california as well and has learned how to spoil hismelf just a little so i think it's a good combo. he keeps me from going entirely overboard and i have helped him to learn to live a little and that it's not wrong to be spoiled sometimes!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d wear a tiara every day if I didn''t know everyone else would turn around and start wearing one too.
emwink.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Just take a look at my screenname!

Seriously, I was the only daughter in my family and have one brother and I''m the youngest so when I was younger, my family nicknamed me Princess V. I''d like to think that I never acted like a spoilt brat but was very spoiled in general.
9.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
It would depend on what one''s definition of "princess" is. But, yes, I suppose I am to a degree. And, yes, I have been called a princess more than once -- in a lighthearted way of course. I don''t find it to be insulting or anything.

Years ago, I worked at a law firm where all the lawyers were Jewish. They told me I''d "fit right in as a JAP (Jewish-Americna Princess)." I think when I was hired, they thought I was Jewish because my maiden name is also a Jewish name -- although my family is Catholic.

My SIL (brother''s wife) is Jewish, and I''m definitely more of a princess than she is.

I like to think of the term "princess" like being told I''m a "girly-girl," which I most definitely am.
9.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Like Princess V, im the only daughter and the youngest. According to my brothers, i have and always will be the little princess. Ive always taken as a joke and never really considered myself one, though i probably have tendancies.

My SIL... whoa... now she IS a princess. Our wedding was a HUGE inconvience for her since every little thing didnt revolve around her and she wasnt the center of attention. Another of my favorites is when she and DH were growing up, if she didnt want to eat what was for dinner, FIL would go out and get whatever she wanted. I would have gotten laughed at and told, i guess your not eating tonight then! Also, when she and DH get in an arguement/disagree, she calls their parents to get them to make DH agree... WE ARE ADULTS PEOPLE, FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN!

I almost wish if/when she gets married im 9 mos pregnant and go into labor in the middle
11.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I grew up as a princess, but since being married and having kids, I’ve been de-throned, and have become the humble servant to a new generation of prince and princess babies. My kids are the most spoiled kids I know. I’m their short-order cook, and I make them anything they want. I’m always fetching stuff form them, and cleaning up after them…

I had everything as a child since I was the only daughter, I never had to share anything. Since I had my own room as a toddler, I slept queen-size beds decked out like a princess, and I’ve never shared a bathroom with anyone. Even when I went off to college, the though of dorms frightened me…it meant sharing! So I always rented studio apartments. I’m also ashamed to admit that when I clean the house or do dishes, my hands break out in hives because they are sensitive to detergents and cleaning chemicals, and even rubber gloves!

My husband also grew up the prince of his family because he was the only boy in a family of 4 kids. He always got everything he wanted, his own room, any toy he desired (despite being quite poor growing up) and he ate steak while his sisters grew up on kimchi (pickled cabbage) and rice. His youngest sister is still bitter about it, and mentions it often.

Somehow, being spoiled as kids didn’t affect either my husband and I very much. We both grew-up to be level-headed adults that are self-sufficient, work hard at our jobs, and we don’t depend on others to take care of us (except our cleaning ladies I guess).

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I was never a princess growing up. I am one of three daughters and the middle child, but I wasn''t a black sheep either. My little (not so little since she is only one and a half year younger) sister was the one who got spoiled by eveyone even me and my older sister.

I have to say though that I got spoiled by all my exes and my DH especially. Maybe I am trying to make up for my younger years.
31.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
yes, my sons are definitely the princes now too...

i never thought of myself as a princess until i went to college and got the "One of Us..One of Us" or accusations/jokes from others. Even so, i was never a full-fledged weekly-manicure 'Clueless'(well, i'm often clueless but i was referring to the film) type of princess.

I preferred dogs(try to strip an airedale with a polished manicure..ha!) & gardening, painting, reading etc. My hands and feet are usually a wreck(hence all of the paw hand shots). Still I'm not a fan of most housework. Thank G-d dh does a lot of it or will hire a service(but only once a week). :<

OTOH, I love caring for my sons and have no poop or spit up issues. It's one of the few parts of life that I don't consider delegating to professionals. Sometimes i'm tired & miss the time I had to myself before but I'm sure I'll be old in a blink and looking back on these days wistfully.

I do like trying some projects like refinishing, changing hardware, handles//pulls. I like to bake cakes and cookies and a few special dishes, but I'm not a kitchen witch. I have my chanel no. 19 and Vent Vert in the fridge next to the kim chee(jaysonsm..my dad hooked me on it when I was a kid). :razz:

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock

some semi-random notes/memories(& html practice):
9.gif

)))))))
I''ve been called a princess in both the complimentary/endearment and pejorative sense.
))))

* from childhood, my terrible allergies made for a lot of eggshell-walking and special treatment
*canopy bed (whether that was princess-y or cheesy, i''m not sure...lol)
*a few designer items in high school
*cutting class to go shopping in HS. with my mom.
*a large dose of Francophilia(mom was a french teacher)

*food snob tendencies(but i think that''s fairly common in the SF Bay Area.. part of The ''happy California bubble'', Mara? lol.)
*tendency to get dramatic over small things
*perfume obsessive(i love it more than jewelry)
*i like cats but can only keep a Devon Rex without awful alrg. reaction.

not my cat, but a ''reasonable facsimile''(he was a marmalade Devon too)...
personality-645x634.jpg

(((((((((((((((((((((

For balance:

* my parents emphasized spirituality, volunteering/charity, basic kindness and manners.

*I like to think that going to some Dead shows and Burning Man(early nineties version) absolves me a bit too.LOL!

*I dated guys from different socio-ec levels and found that the rich men were no more appealing than the normal ones.

*my high school car of choice was a restored ''68 Mustang convertible. My mom did want me to get a new car but i was set on this one.

The very first car was a surprise from my dad..a Fiat spider convertible but I had the worst time learning to drive it and gave up.:
*in addition to diamonds, i''ve always loved beach glass, driftwood and random rocks. I remember my mom getting after me for always gathering too many ''souvenirs'' on trips.
3.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 1:06:51 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Nah, I never was a Princess.. but my daughter sure is! ROFL. Oh that girl, I swear.. hehe.

But.. I am the Queen in my house.

Its good to be Queen.
2.gif

lol...i aspire to Queendom, SDL. Any advice?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think I am one but my coworkers do because of my jewelry. They tell me the only thing I don''t have yet is a tiara. Now my daughter (7yrs) is definitely, she is my only child and so therefore she is spoiled.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
OMG did anyone just see that crazy blingy microphone sleeve-thingy that mariah c.(grammy show) had? princessa suprema!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results