shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else appalled that the Eagles signed Vick?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a HUGE Eagles fan and have watched every game since I was a child. Our family life revolves around the football season. Last night, we were so excited to watch the first pre-season game. Then we got the worst team news I could imagine...they signed Michael Vick. I am appalled. The season has been ruined for me.

I believe in second chances but I do think that fighting and killing dogs says something (or everything) about who you are and that''s just not someone I want to support in any way.

Any average joe would find it difficult (if not impossible) to find a job with a felony conviction let alone one that pays millions.

Ugh! I''m so angry! Am I overreacting? I''m just so disappointed.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2009 6:57:10 AM
Author:puppmom
I am a HUGE Eagles fan and have watched every game since I was a child. Our family life revolves around the football season. Last night, we were so excited to watch the first pre-season game. Then we got the worst team news I could imagine...they signed Michael Vick. I am appalled. The season has been ruined for me.

I believe in second chances but I do think that fighting and killing dogs says something (or everything) about who you are and that''s just not someone I want to support in any way.

Any average joe would find it difficult (if not impossible) to find a job with a felony conviction let alone one that pays millions.

Ugh! I''m so angry! Am I overreacting? I''m just so disappointed.
I think he served his time. He is no longer a threat to dogs and animals, so let him play football.

I can, however, understand how upsetting it could be if I was a Eagles fan and felt strongly about it.

And I really wish that felons had an easier time getting jobs... it would decrease recidivism!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As if the air in Philadelphia wasn''t polluted enough already.....now it will get more polluted by that piece of guano.

I don''t think child abusers or animal abusers are ever cured.

Lock up your pets, everybody.

I hope that team never wins another game and has to go out of business.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I can''t stand the thought of watching dogs kill each other for money. One of the problems in his career is that they know full and well they can be role models. Whether they want to be or not, they KNOW going into it that with that kind of fame comes responsibility. I think it''s a shame that those who do drugs (Darryl Strawberry), or beat their wife (Warren Moon) or don''t file their taxes (Pete Rose) don''t get the same kind of scrutinization, but they are famous and they will be judged.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I am appaled. Maybe we should have put him in an arena with 200 hungry dogs and see how it feels. How can someone do something like this, then be welcomed with arms wide open and make millions again like nothing happened? It just repulses me. He''s a bad apple and probably always will be!

Lekde

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/14/2009 9:29:13 AM
Author: Amethyste
I am appaled. Maybe we should have put him in an arena with 200 hungry dogs and see how it feels. How can someone do something like this, then be welcomed with arms wide open and make millions again like nothing happened? It just repulses me. He''s a bad apple and probably always will be!
Yes!! Make him the "bait" dog!

I will say, however, every time I see a special on the dogs that came out of Vick''s camp, I tear up in happiness that people embraced them and rehabilitated them instead of just euthanizing their poor tortured souls.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't the details, but my husband is a Jets fan we were were both just appalled when we heard they might be considering him, so I can imagine how you feel.

When I heard they were letting him have in I hoped there would a requirement in his contract to donate a % of his salary to the SPCA or Humane Society, not to mention some of his time. If the NFL had required that I think a lot of people would be less incensed by this. Of course, I haven't been following this closely so maybe the Eagles or the NFL did require something.

I don't care if he plays and makes money... if it means that millions get donated to help other animals. But if it's all "forgotten' and life goes on as if the past hasn't happened. Nope, don't care that he did his time. I didn't think his time fit the crime. Considering how much Pro Quarterbacks make... I think he should still be paying.

Of course, if his PR people have ANY brains they'll have him do the donations himself"of his own free will' so that his image gets slightly more redeemed. Slightly.

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2009 4:00:27 PM
Author: Gypsy
I don''t the details, but my husband is a Jets fan we were were both just appalled when we heard they might be considering him, so I can imagine how you feel.

When I heard they were letting him have in I hoped there would a requirement in his contract to donate a % of his salary to the SPCA or Humane Society, not to mention some of his time. If the NFL had required that I think a lot of people would be less incensed by this. Of course, I haven''t been following this closely so maybe the Eagles or the NFL did require something.

I don''t care if he plays and makes money... if it means that millions get donated to help other animals. But if it''s all ''forgotten'' and life goes on as if the past hasn''t happened. Nope, don''t care that he did his time. I didn''t think his time fit the crime. Considering how much Pro Quarterbacks make... I think he should still be paying.

Of course, if his PR people have ANY brains they''ll have him do the donations himself''of his own free will'' so that his image gets slightly more redeemed. Slightly.
Gypsy - Michael Vick did say that part of his probabtion is working with the humane society to enlighten people about the horror of dog fighting.
Maybe something positive will come out of this a save some Dogs lives, or change people''s attitude against this horrible activity. People should wait and see how this all plays out.
I don''t believe in torturing humans either, but some what that for his punishment. Some people care more about animals than humans... I am not defending what he did .BUT I hope he uses his future to help animals and save them.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Why waste any of your day being appalled at any celebrity, athlete, or wannabe? If you have even a smidgen of morals and scruples, there are a whole lot of famous and infamous folk out there that must be worrying the heck out of you.

I''m horrified by, but refuse to waste a moment on:

Larry Flynt
Madonna
Paris
Britney
Lindsay
Amy Winehouse
Courtney Love
Eminem
Kanye West
Rihanna''s ex
Rihanna herself
Pamela, Tommy, Kid Rock et al
Larry King
Rosie O''Donnell
Michael Savage
Don Imus
Howard Stern
Tom Cruise
Brangelina
Candy Spelling
The whole Jackson clan
Most of the Kennedy males
A great many members of Congress
Pretty much everyone in the West Wing
Just about all of Hollywood

Aside from the assine politicians, whose folly we see daily, I don''t usually give these other twits a thought.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crystal, I do know your post was well intentioned but I do need to say that saying that 'people care more about animals than humans' in the US ruffles my feathers. If Vick and used humans they way he did dogs, he would still be in prison. If he had tortured ONE human and been convicted of it only they wouldn't let him back in to the NFL. So I'm sorry but "people" don't care about animals more than humans. Some people just think that the gap between people and animals is closer than others. Animals get euthanized by the millions in this country? Do unwanted orphans or homeless or elderly people? NO.

But I think that 2 years is an insult for what he did. Cause if he had done a fraction of that to ONE human, two years and an NFL career would not have been the result. But 2 years and the NFL is the result of the torture and agony of MANY animals. And that is ridulous to me.

_---------------------------------------------------------------------- Is the pedestal human life is placed on. By Law and Society. Top of the trees

_______________________________________________________ All I am saying is that Animal Life can be HERE.

________________________________________________ Instead of here. In the basement.

I think the disparity is appalling. So ... what I was saying was not that everyone one should value animals the same as humans. Just that they should value animal life MORE than they do. And if they DID, then we wouldn't be back in the NFL... Or his readmittance would have had some very stiff penalties in it.

And yes there maybe some people who value animal life OVER human life but then There are people who place no value at all on life, be it human or animal. Then there are some who value human life, but animal life non at all. There are all kinds in this world. If you are going to look for the black and the white, you'll find it.

But I believe that the gray is in most cases the most practical and balanced place to be. So I don't place animal life above human life... but for me personally I place it only slightly below (and that doesn't include my personal animals, whose life I place above my own).

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, that''s not entirely true....the NFL has let players back after being involved in murders. They are a business and the bottom line is their only concern. They don''t care about role models, they only care if the people they hire will draw a crowd. It is really sick. I lived in Atlanta and used to love the way Vick drew in the crowds and got everybody pumped up in the city. I was so disappointed by what he did. I truly hope the time he spent in prison changed his attitude and changed him as a person, but I guess only time will tell.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 8:33:15 AM
Author: steph72276
Gypsy, that''s not entirely true....the NFL has let players back after being involved in murders. They are a business and the bottom line is their only concern. They don''t care about role models, they only care if the people they hire will draw a crowd. It is really sick. I lived in Atlanta and used to love the way Vick drew in the crowds and got everybody pumped up in the city. I was so disappointed by what he did. I truly hope the time he spent in prison changed his attitude and changed him as a person, but I guess only time will tell.
Indeed.

And I agree, time will tell. I say give him another chance, everyone deserves one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you both for correcting me. That was so sad to read. Yes the NFL is a business, and yes people deserve a second chance-- doesn''t mean that there can''t be restrictions on that chance.I think it should have come with a lot of stiff rules and donation of salary requirements. Not because he hurt animals... I think that manslaughter jerk should have been required to go to AA meetings and submit to breathalizers, and pay a portion of his salary to MAD or some other charity helping to raise awareness of drunk driving. So, what I am saying is I am dissappointed that the NFL when it takes back any convicted criminal does not put restrictions on their second chance.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Michael Vick is bankrupt and him playing in the NFL is the only chance he has to repay some of his debts. Most of the money he makes will go to his creditors.

Since they've let people back in after they've been involved with murders (Ray Lewis was superbowl MVP after being in legal trouble) and accidents (Dante Stallworth) that have taken lives, I don't see why they would not let Vick back in. I am disgusted by his actions, but I also find it sad that it took Michael Vick being involved for people to realize there is a huge dog fighting problem in this country. I worked in an animal shelter 10 years ago and we'd get the cast offs of the dog fighting system. So sad. Including a dog who had his ears ripped off and scars all over his body because they kept putting him in the ring and he kept refusing to fight. I digress. Also, we are having a huge animal abandonment problem where I live due to foreclosures right now. Are these people some of the same people who are offended by Vick and don't want him in the NFL? Perhaps. I think abandoning your dog in a high kill shelter or leaving them in a locked house waiting for the bank to repossess is only slightly better than what Vick did.

Perhaps my thoughts don't make sense. It is a complicated situation. I understand your sadness that he is playing for your team, its disappointing when an organization you are a fan of lowers their standards. Perhaps you will find a way to still enjoy the season even though Vick is playing.

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
33.gif

Date: 8/15/2009 3:10:12 AM
Author: Gypsy
Crystal, I do know your post was well intentioned but I do need to say that saying that ''people care more about animals than humans'' in the US ruffles my feathers. If Vick and used humans they way he did dogs, he would still be in prison. If he had tortured ONE human and been convicted of it only they wouldn''t let him back in to the NFL. So I''m sorry but ''people'' don''t care about animals more than humans. Some people just think that the gap between people and animals is closer than others. Animals get euthanized by the millions in this country? Do unwanted orphans or homeless or elderly people? NO.

But I think that 2 years is an insult for what he did. Cause if he had done a fraction of that to ONE human, two years and an NFL career would not have been the result. But 2 years and the NFL is the result of the torture and agony of MANY animals. And that is ridulous to me.

_---------------------------------------------------------------------- Is the pedestal human life is placed on. By Law and Society. Top of the trees

_______________________________________________________ All I am saying is that Animal Life can be HERE.

________________________________________________ Instead of here. In the basement.

I think the disparity is appalling. So ... what I was saying was not that everyone one should value animals the same as humans. Just that they should value animal life MORE than they do. And if they DID, then we wouldn''t be back in the NFL... Or his readmittance would have had some very stiff penalties in it.

And yes there maybe some people who value animal life OVER human life but then There are people who place no value at all on life, be it human or animal. Then there are some who value human life, but animal life non at all. There are all kinds in this world. If you are going to look for the black and the white, you''ll find it.

But I believe that the gray is in most cases the most practical and balanced place to be. So I don''t place animal life above human life... but for me personally I place it only slightly below (and that doesn''t include my personal animals, whose life I place above my own).
Gypsy... I just want to clarify something about what I said. I do respect you , as your posts are always very right on . I find you intelligent, articulate and very level headed...I do not want to offend you or anyone else. What I was trying to point out is that Some people ( not all) seem to value animal''s lives and not care the same for humans. How can they reason that it is not right to torture innocent animals- which is HORRIFIC... but in the same breath say that people should be tortured for their crimes .
I just hope that some education to inter city youths that Vick will be doing will have some positive impact
It is not legal to take a human life, but ( not saying it is right ) animals can be euthinized by vets and animal shelters. That is why his punishment was not as long as it should of been.
I hope he will make something out of his second chance. It is about MONEY for the NFL
College athletes that do wrong get their SCHOLORSHIP money taken away. Even for something minor at times, it it is against school policy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're good crystal, no worries.
9.gif
My 'irk' wasn't really aimed at you... it's something I've heard on here a few times and I guess it just came to a head at one time for me.

I don't generally endorse the torture of anything. I have a few exceptions... mostly for people in third world countries allow monsters to abuse children in unspeakable ways and even endorse it with thier rulings and laws (judges, lawmakers, etc.) but that's because I hold lawmakers and judges to a pretty high standard when it comes to some very basic human rights and many in officials in third world countries... well, let's just say I'm of the opinion that "an eye for an eye" is the best method of teaching them the lessons they need to learn.

Anyway, there is a heirarchy of crimes ... against children being the worst for me. And I think for SOME animals are more like children than adults. Similar fiduciary responsibility toward them, and innocence, complicated by the fact that with domesticated animals we've bred them for reliance on us. That might explain the disparity that troubles you. Or not. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong. Because it's NOT MY PLACE TO JUDGE ANOTHER'S HIERARCHY OF HORRORS.

I have no quarrel with you, just with the fact that it seems like the minute someone sticks up for animal rights.. .someone comes along and says that either that person is putting animals above humans or that humans come first and look at all the human rights issues first.

I just don't think that they are mutually exclusive. I am a big believer in animal rights, AND in human rights. They are different issues for me. And to weigh whether one is more important to me is silly. They are both important, period. If the topic is one related to animal rights, then I'm not going to go off on human rights. And if the topic is human rights, I'm not going to go off on animal rights. But it does seem that occassionally when someone is horrified about an animal rights issue... they are put on the defensive to explain why they feel the way they do and to exclaim that OF COURSE I value human rights too... when I just don't think that they should be made to feel that way.

It happens a lot when anything is raised here recently. Someone is horrified that one child was murdered... and all of the sudden someone links to a story about the mass slaughter of children. As if you have to chose which one to be horrified by. You don't. You can be horrified by it all, and I think you are a better person for it. And I think it actually is disrespectful to whatever the original tragedy is... to "one up" it. It's all bad.

I'm rambling. Anyway... the original point still stands. No worries Crystal.... It had just been building in me.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that I was upset to hear that the Eagles signed Vick also. My hub is a loyal Eagles fan so every football season I watch too (by default)
41.gif
. I am such a die-hard animal lover so it is really hard for me to wrap my head around it. I know the Eagles have a very large fan base, so if they lose a few fans over this it won''t really matter, but STILL!

My hub tried to explain that there are NFL football players who have been convicted of murder and rape, but they don''t play on the Eagles! He also asked me last night if I wasn''t going to watch this season. I guess I will just play it by ear. I''m still disappointed!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I like animals better than people. That said, I still think the guy should get another chance. Love begets love and forgiveness begets forgiveness.

However, if I ever heard that he hurt or even failed to protect an animal in the future, I''d come after him myself.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I was not happy to hear that he was signed. He sounds like such a nasty person, I''d prefer to not have to ever hear anything else about him.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results