shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice: Having Trouble Completing My Collection

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
So, for those who are on PS a lot in SMTB, you might be aware that I've been trying to complete my lifetime jewellery-buying, as I don't want to pay the prices of the future. I decided to get everything I wanted and then I'll need no jewellery for the next 50-odd years. It's a better deal that way, considering the way prices have shot up in the last ten years.

As some PSers might know, I've got some great bargains and have just about completed my jewellery collection. However, I'm having trouble getting the last few bits. That's why I keep posting polls.

The things I don't have:

A gold statement necklace
Gold drop earrings
Diamond drop earrings, nice enough for "wow" evening wear.

Re. gold statement necklaces, I found some 30-inch statement pendants I loved but they were so expensive, like 2k (Roberto Coin) or 2.5k (Tiffany). I think I'll probably settle for this one in the link below, and will wait for a Christmas sale. It's 14k not 18k, but I don't really want to spend over 2k on a gold statement necklace, I've decided. Even $1450 or $1350 is a lot for two small Cartier plain metal necklaces. Tiffany had some for $750 - $950 but when I saw those, they were so light and flimsy that I couldn't bring myself to buy one. I think this one below looks sophisticated and is obviously a lot less money than the others. Any thoughts? Do you like it?

http://www.bluenile.com/brushed-dangle-pendant-14k-yellow-gold_41807

Gold drop earrings - can't find any I like anywhere. I've got a small face so they really need to be not much longer than 1.25 inches, and any kind of hoop doesn't suit me - and also, I don't really like hoops. The only ones I really like are these Tiffany ones, and again I think 1k is really too much, for me personally, when it's just plain metal: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=27910777&mcat=&cid=&search_params=s+1-p+1-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+Luce+earrings&search=1

Diamond drop earrings - I saw some amazing flower diamond drops when I was at home in the UK at Christmas, for $2.5k equivalent. They were very dressy. I think they were a good price - they had the same kind of look as the flower diamond earrings in this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-jewels.73838/page-341..']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-jewels.73838/page-341....[/URL]. They were 1 carat I think, G, VVS2.

However, being honest, where would I wear them? I used to have a career with lots of events and evening functions (PR) but I've long since left that behind that am now a be-jeaned, be-spectacled work-at-home person.

So, I'm thinking of getting two or three pairs of less obvious diamond drops that I can get more daily use out of, over the rest of my lifetime. I also find it hard to spend 2.5k-ish on a jewellery piece, when I can get more bang for my buck.

So, what do you think of getting these instead of the Tiffany Luce gold drop earrings?

http://www.bluenile.com/bezel-diamond-earrings-white-gold_4888

I think I might have to forget about the gold drops for now as the only pair I like places me in the 1k-for-plain-metal scenario. At the end of the year in the BN Christmas sale I've got my eyes one of these:

http://www.bluenile.com/marquise-diamond-drop-earrings-14k-white-gold_39964

http://www.bluenile.com/deco-drop-diamond-earrings-14k-white-gold_43048

The tax-free weekend is coming up in MA and I had my eyes on a number of things at Tiffany, but when I saw the items at the store recently, I didn't like any of them. Saves me money. I loved the Luce earrings - the gold swirls. The back of the swirls is diamond-cut so the light kind of shines through the earrings like a lamp. They were exquisite.

Would you get the diamond drop earrings from BN, or the plain gold Tiffany earrings? Both are 1k.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
They look very nice indeed! Unfortunately the seller says no returns, and what you can't really see in photos is the amount of sparkle. Thanks very much for posting them, though!

The only reason I shop so much at BN is that they seem to be the online jeweller who offers the widest range of pre-set jewellery, from the more inexpensive diamond pieces to really nice high-colour, high-clarity pieces. I've tried Ross Simons and I don't like them, and I've looked at WF and BGD's ranges but they don't really have what I want, and their range isn't as wide as BN's. I know you can go custom with them, but it's more expensive, more difficult to return, etc etc - and I do have eight pieces from them already. With BN you get your things immediately and can return easily. So what it boils down to is that, if I don't want to spend Tiffany/Cartier money, BN becomes my go-to.

Just wanted to explain why I'm always buying stuff there!

SB: I posted a pic of my diamond leaf earrings from BN which came today, in the Poll thread! Remember the debate about the I I1 clarity?? Well, take a look! I think they were a good deal.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a fan of any of the earrings, especially at that price. They don't say "collection" to me. The BN ones look like everyday earrings and I've seen them on ebay for half the price. The Tiffany pair's style looks... cheap. I've seen fake ones at JCPennys that look very similar! Have you looked into other designers?

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you "complete" your collection, will you actually be able to resist? Your idea to buy now rather than later at higher prices is interesting (I love getting a great bargain and planning for the future while prices are low!) but I am just wondering if it will work out as you anticipate. Where will you be working in 10 years? Fancy events or casual bbq work events? Moved to smaller town or big flashy city? Kids and/or grandkids who may affect what you are comfortable wearing?

You also seem to have a great eye for bargains and beautiful unique pieces. (Love your pictures :love: )
Will you really be able to travel and not come home with the latest bargain? What do you do if you get something that you like right now but find a different one in a year or two that you just love?

Anyway....
I'm enjoying watching you build your collection and will quite happily keep taking polls! Just thought I'd toss out some questions for you to think about.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are stunners.....at JbEG and on sale! :Up_to_something:

_8391.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting idea about completing your collection. It's a great idea, but do you think it'll work in reality? I have no clue where I'll be in another 20 years and buying the wardrobe for it now is way more than even my over-planning self can handle.

I like the BN necklace, but it doesn't say statement to me. I think it'd be a good everyday pendant. It seems like one of those pieces that you notice if a friend wears every time because it's a part of them, but as a single piece, switched out with others, I'm not sure I'd notice it really. Or perhaps I'm taking the statement wording in a different way than you me?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for all the great advice. I so appreciate it. Will write back individually.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Rhea, Fortekitty and Yssie: In terms of size, my starting point is DBTY. Large jewellery doesn't suit me, I can't carry it off, so I usually wear very small pieces. Therefore, the BN gold pendant that I linked is my idea of a statement piece on me. It looks very large, considering the size of most of my jewellery!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1375208121|3493175 said:
I'm not a fan of any of the earrings, especially at that price. They don't say "collection" to me. The BN ones look like everyday earrings and I've seen them on ebay for half the price. The Tiffany pair's style looks... cheap. I've seen fake ones at JCPennys that look very similar! Have you looked into other designers?

Ha ha, I'm trying to get "collection" pieces at non-collection prices! The BN earrings are everyday, I agree - I have a lot of DBTY so they'd probably go quite well and I'd get more wear out of them than the very dressy ones I saw in my hometown for $2.5k equivalent. When you say you've seen them on ebay for half the price, do you mean the exact BN ones that I linked? I like them because they're 18k, H color and BN diamonds in pre-set jewellery usually sparkle very well. I haven't looked into other designers because I don't know any. I'm assuming BN doesn't count as a designer! :lol:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Rhea|1375208959|3493189 said:
Interesting idea about completing your collection. It's a great idea, but do you think it'll work in reality? I have no clue where I'll be in another 20 years and buying the wardrobe for it now is way more than even my over-planning self can handle.

I like the BN necklace, but it doesn't say statement to me. I think it'd be a good everyday pendant. It seems like one of those pieces that you notice if a friend wears every time because it's a part of them, but as a single piece, switched out with others, I'm not sure I'd notice it really. Or perhaps I'm taking the statement wording in a different way than you me?

Thanks, Rhea. It seems big to me because I'm used to wearing small jewellery. Yes, I can be an over-planner. But the prices of metals and gems now compared to 10 years ago is just frightening. I'm almost 39 so I don't envisage any really huge life or personal style changes, you know? I'm just afraid that if jewellery continues to rise at such a clip, I'll be priced out! I've almost completed what I want, anyway, in the past two years. Just those three items to go.

That doesn't mean I'll never buy any jewellery again, ever, but that I'll have got everything on my "definitely want" list. Any extras would be if I see something that makes my heart sing and is an amazing deal and I can afford it, which wouldn't happen very often because I won't be actively looking.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1375208878|3493187 said:
These are stunners.....at JbEG and on sale! :Up_to_something:

Thanks very much for posting those, Mayk. They're beautiful. As I've got a narrow face, though, I think they'd look too big on me. They are nice, though!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
athenaworth|1375208370|3493182 said:
You should try Overstock.com. http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Diamond/(150,,,,),Dangling,/price,style,/14495/subcat.html?sort=Top+Sellers

ETA They also have a pair that are similar to the Tiffany's ones you posted

Wow, that's a helluva link! I'm going to have earrings dancing in front of my eyes when I go to sleep tonight. Thanks! Do you have any idea what the quality of the diamonds will be like, or does it vary since they're from different suppliers? Not sure how Overstock works.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1375208215|3493178 said:
When you "complete" your collection, will you actually be able to resist? Your idea to buy now rather than later at higher prices is interesting (I love getting a great bargain and planning for the future while prices are low!) but I am just wondering if it will work out as you anticipate. Where will you be working in 10 years? Fancy events or casual bbq work events? Moved to smaller town or big flashy city? Kids and/or grandkids who may affect what you are comfortable wearing?

You also seem to have a great eye for bargains and beautiful unique pieces. (Love your pictures :love: )
Will you really be able to travel and not come home with the latest bargain? What do you do if you get something that you like right now but find a different one in a year or two that you just love?

Anyway....
I'm enjoying watching you build your collection and will quite happily keep taking polls! Just thought I'd toss out some questions for you to think about.

All excellent questions, TooPatient! I'm going to have an existential crisis in a minute! :lol: Will I be able to resist, you say? Well, that's the big question, isn't it! I don't know, I've resisted a fair few things because the price isn't right....but I do like a deal :Up_to_something:

Thanks for the kind remarks about my jewellery.

Actually, although I love to admire all jewellery, my taste in what I wear is fairly limited, really. I like simple pieces, which is probably why the DBTY sings to me. Did you see that Art Deco-style aquamarine and diamond-fan drop pendant I got for a total steal in my hometown's jewellery quarter back in May? I adore it, but I haven't worn it as it's perhaps a little too decorative for my taste. I'm 39 so I don't think my tastes will change so much, really, unless I have a midlife funny patch and go Gothic or something! :lol:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1375224311|3493311 said:
TooPatient|1375208215|3493178 said:

Anyway....

All excellent questions, TooPatient! I'm going to have an existential crisis in a minute! :lol: Will I be able to resist, you say? Well, that's the big question, isn't it! I don't know, I've resisted a fair few things because the price isn't right....but I do like a deal :Up_to_something:

Thanks for the kind remarks about my jewellery.

Actually, although I love to admire all jewellery, my taste in what I wear is fairly limited, really. I like simple pieces, which is probably why the DBTY sings to me. Did you see that Art Deco-style aquamarine and diamond-fan drop pendant I got for a total steal in my hometown's jewellery quarter back in May? I adore it, but I haven't worn it as it's perhaps a little too decorative for my taste. I'm 39 so I don't think my tastes will change so much, really, unless I have a midlife funny patch and go Gothic or something! :lol:

Yes :love: :love: :love:

It was one of the pieces I was thinking about when I mentioned your beautiful unique pieces!

Reading your responses to others, I follow your logic better! Getting your basic MUST have list now means you won't have to deal with whatever may come in gold & diamond prices over the next years. BUT leaving open the idea that you will fill in with other fun pieces as you find stuff you like at good prices.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
This is a picture of a pair of diamond leaf drop earrings that I've just bought from BN, which just arrived today. Th backs are a bit loose, unfortunately, so they have to be exchanged. They are .80 total carat weight, 14k white gold, and the diamonds are I colour, I1. I know, I can't believe I bought them either. But I loved the design and they were only $684 in the sale, so I decided to take a chance.

I'm posting a pic because I have found that the diamonds BN uses for pre-set jewellery are really sparkly, so I'm wary of buying from somewhere I don't know in case the melee isn't as nice. The colour and clarity is low - I, Si2 in a lot of their things - but the cut must be decent because their pieces are really sparkly. Someone said that they didn't like the look of the BN earrings, but on the website it's hard to show how much they sparkle in real life.

I also think that the BN website is so clean and user-friendly that it's very comfortable to use, so you don't want to step outside that comfort zone! Their summer sale is on till Friday, by the way..... :Up_to_something:

Here are the sparkly I, I1 earrings:

_8394.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
We were posting at the same time, TooPatient! I've spent quite a lot on collecting jewellery so I'm going to TRY not to buy very much over the next few decades, only if it's bargain of the century, you know? Since prices will probably continue to rise, I won't be as tempted, anyway. I find overpriced items a little depressing in that I consider them a waste of money.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1375223002|3493296 said:

Ha ha, I'm trying to get "collection" pieces at non-collection prices! The BN earrings are everyday, I agree - I have a lot of DBTY so they'd probably go quite well and I'd get more wear out of them than the very dressy ones I saw in my hometown for $2.5k equivalent. When you say you've seen them on ebay for half the price, do you mean the exact BN ones that I linked? I like them because they're 18k, H color and BN diamonds in pre-set jewellery usually sparkle very well. I haven't looked into other designers because I don't know any. I'm assuming BN doesn't count as a designer! :lol:

Yep, I've seen those exact earring on ebay before and they sold for roughly half price, but I thought they were still overpriced for what you get. I have several BN pieces, but all were purchased at about half price or less.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over the past few years I've developed a personal shopping philosophy ( :wink2: ) of buying things only at the right time - I don't buy things because I will need them "when" xyz happens, I don't buy them just because the price is right, and I don't buy them in anticipation of needing them at some future time. In other words, it's not the right thing or the right price unless it's also the right time for me to buy it. This simple change in perspective has saved me a lot of buyer's remorse. (Of course I haven't implemented it perfectly so it hasn't spared me totally! :lol: )

I admire your looking ahead and you're probably right about prices going up... I have some wonderful 14k pieces (mostly earrings) that I bought off of late-night television for a lot less than it would cost me to replace them now. However I also have quite a few gold pieces, again bought at wonderful prices, that would have been a terrific deal except for the fact that I have never, ever worn them... or I wore them a few times but I have since "outgrown" them. In some cases outgrowing does involve size, but in most cases it involves taste and sensibilities. I can also afford more substantial jewelry now than I could when I was younger, and I can afford it more easily, so both my perspective about what is affordable and my taste have changed.

I guess what I'm saying is simply, don't stress over this. My suggestion would be to keep your eyes open for bargains and keep saving between "finds," knowing that over time, you will add the right pieces to your collection.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1375226917|3493345 said:
Smith1942|1375225248|3493325 said:
Here are the sparkly I, I1 earrings:

Ooooooh those look SUPER sparkly!!

They are! The cut of BN's melee seems pretty nice, judging by the sparkle.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1375238439|3493429 said:
Smith1942|1375223002|3493296 said:

Yep, I've seen those exact earring on ebay before and they sold for roughly half price, but I thought they were still overpriced for what you get. I have several BN pieces, but all were purchased at about half price or less.

I've searched for jewellery a lot in the past couple of years, and based on prices in general, I'd consider an eyeclean jewellery piece of 14k with half a carat of near-colourless diamonds and really decent cut (judging by the sparkle) to be a fair price - that's in the context of all the browsing I've done. I don't know what others think, but that's the conclusion I came to after a lot of searching. And the same specs under 1k, like $600-$700 etc. I'd consider really good. So you got some great bargains!

I like the BN earrings as they're 18k H, with bezels which take some work, as we know on PS, and half a carat. I think about 1k is a fair price for those? When I bought my WF 0.30 baby bezels about 15 months ago, they were about $900 for 0.30, and my BGD 0.50 DBTY was $1450. Sig and ACA melee, of course, but still, the other diamonds in my non-PS-vendor pieces are also very sparkly, like my diamond cross and half eternity from E.B. Horn.

I'm a little wary of spending large amounts on ebay, because how do you know that you'll receive the item pictured? I know many people shop successfully on the site, though.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1375241006|3493440 said:
Over the past few years I've developed a personal shopping philosophy ( :wink2: ) of buying things only at the right time - I don't buy things because I will need them "when" xyz happens, I don't buy them just because the price is right, and I don't buy them in anticipation of needing them at some future time. In other words, it's not the right thing or the right price unless it's also the right time for me to buy it. This simple change in perspective has saved me a lot of buyer's remorse. (Of course I haven't implemented it perfectly so it hasn't spared me totally! :lol: )

I admire your looking ahead and you're probably right about prices going up... I have some wonderful 14k pieces (mostly earrings) that I bought off of late-night television for a lot less than it would cost me to replace them now. However I also have quite a few gold pieces, again bought at wonderful prices, that would have been a terrific deal except for the fact that I have never, ever worn them... or I wore them a few times but I have since "outgrown" them. In some cases outgrowing does involve size, but in most cases it involves taste and sensibilities. I can also afford more substantial jewelry now than I could when I was younger, and I can afford it more easily, so both my perspective about what is affordable and my taste have changed.

I guess what I'm saying is simply, don't stress over this. My suggestion would be to keep your eyes open for bargains and keep saving between "finds," knowing that over time, you will add the right pieces to your collection.

That's good advice, VR Beauty. I'm not going to stress about the gold earrings - I'll just have to wait for those since there's nothing I like. However, I'm thinking about the other items as the MA tax-free weekend is coming up, and by next year prices will have gone up...again... :roll:

But, I'm liking the idea of those BN double drops that are on sale because I've got so much DBTY. They'd be more interesting than wearing my baby bezels with my DBTY all the time.

I'd like to thank everyone who replied for the input. I really appreciate it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, Smith, I get it...but I wouldn't have any idea what to tell you about your dilemma of completing your collection. I skimmed through the responses but am not sure I have a good idea of WHAT EXACTLY you want.

I have a ton of gold jewelry left over from a buying spree back in the late 1990's and early 2000's. It's all put away in several different places now for safekeeping. A few people told me I should sell it when gold hit higher numbers in recent years. I also have some pieces from relatives. Some could be considered styles like you described, like "statement" necklaces.

I kind of feel like statement necklaces are going to go right out of vogue in the next couple years. Are you sure you want a piece that will inevitably date itself? Like, I have this very thick, solid herringbone 24" chain from the 80's...it's 18k yg but it's SOOOO out of style! I feel like any sort of statement necklace is really not worth buying especially now because hello, trends.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you couldn't care less about my opinion. That's totally fine...

It's just that poor statement necklace is going to be worn about 12 times and then sit in your jewelry box until you sell it for its weight...

I'm a terrible PSer. Feel free to string me up right now. :blackeye:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the reply, Monarch. I don't have gold drop earrings, or a gold necklace (that's larger than DBTY) or dressy diamond drops, and would like those items. As I'm always browsing, I'm aware of all the price rises and would like to get the loot sooner rather than later, basically.

However, I'm going to forget about the gold drops for now as there are none that I like except the Tiffany Luce ones that I linked, and I just think that 1k is too expensive.

Also, I think I'm going to forget about dressy diamond drops as the ones I like are more than I'm comfortable spending on a single item, for a piece that I'd hardly wear, I think. I'm leaning toward a couple of pairs of smaller, everyday drops instead.

That just leaves the gold necklace. I hadn't really thought about the trends issue - thanks for bringing that to my attention! In fact, the gold necklaces that I like, from Cartier and Roberto Coin, are more than I want to pay for plain gold (2.5k!!) but they are more classic than the BN necklace that I linked. That is definitely a specific style. I don't think its re-sale value would be very high as it's 14k and is BN, so not a desirable brand name.

I'm going to wait for the Christmas sale, anyway, and see what I think about it.

Everyone's views about how to proceed - or how not to proceed - are very thought-provoking.

What about everyone else? What's on the wishlist and do you also think about getting things sooner rather than later if funds allow, due to the inevitable price rises?

ETA: You said you feel that statement necklaces are going to go out of vogue...I have no fashion radar whatsoever, zero, zilch, nothing. The airwaves are silent. So, do you have any idea what will replace the statement necklaces? Will it swing back to teeny-tiny delicate pieces like DBTY?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you said you don't like hoops on you but I went with these. I found the shape and with the twist was actually flattering whereas round hoops were not.

roberto_coin_hoops_8.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results