shape
carat
color
clarity

2 job offers. Kay Jewelers or The Jewelry Exchange?

missladuree

Rough_Rock
I don't know if I can post things like this here but I'm in a dilemma. I've always wanted to work in the Jewelry industry and sell diamonds.

Pros for Kay: BIG national company! Can be a Certified Diamontologist.

Cons for Kay: Commute is near but not as convenient. Very Low hourly! Mall hours extending beyond 10pm on weekends.

Pros for Jewelry Exchange: Big company as well but not as reputable as Kay. Higher hourly pay. Hours are office hours with the latest at 6:30pm. Not bad hours for Retail. Short commute from my place. Can be promoted as Diamond Consultant.

Cons for Jewelry Exchange: The location isn't the safest location as it's located in a not so nice neighborhood. Company reputation isn't as good as Kay's.

I compared the commission structure for both companies:
Kay: Commission is divided among the team members when you reach the sales goals. It's like TIPS.
Jewelry Exchange: No commission but they offer bonuses when company reach sales goals.

Basically, it's like the same structure when you think about it. Don't you feel the same way?

Both companies offer paid leaves, medical, room for advancement, etc. Kay is more on selling their brands like Le Vian, Open Hearts, etc. Jewelry Exchange is more on selling loose diamonds and their own jewelry.

Anyone who worked at these companies, your help is much appreciated! Which company would you choose and why? What's your initial thought for these companies?

If the hours at Kay isn't so terrible, I would've picked them in a heart beat. Take note, I have a daughter in Kindergarten.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
JE

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It is a well known company, even I have heard of them, and they are growing while Kay always has to fight for its market position. also the pay is better, the hours are better, who needs a fancy sounding ologist title and the trump card, daughter in kindergarden.

missladuree

Rough_Rock
ive been thinking the same thing. thank you for the feedback.

i couldnt imagine having to leave work at 10:30pm and see my daughter sleeping already. ill only get to see her before she goes to school and while shes in bed.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Also the better neighborhood might not be that much better at 10:30 on the weekend than the other is at 6 pm. Quality time with your kid at a special age is what it is all about, I think.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better money and better hours I agree go for JE.

missladuree

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1415601992|3780458 said:

what do you think though of jewelry exchange as a company? do you feel as thoug they are inferior to kay?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missladuree|1415605105|3780467 said:

what do you think though of jewelry exchange as a company? do you feel as thoug they are inferior to kay?

Both companies suck as jewelers. But you're asking about a job. Just take the job if you want/need a job.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1415635152|3780644 said:

Both companies suck as jewelers. But you're asking about a job. Just take the job if you want/need a job.

agreed. however, both offer you the opportunity to learn "the business"....and find out just how much re color stones these stores DO NOT KNOW.

missladuree

Rough_Rock
movie zombie|1415635473|3780651 said:

agreed. however, both offer you the opportunity to learn "the business"....and find out just how much re color stones these stores DO NOT KNOW.

which would you go with though?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Better hours, better pay. Seems like a no brainer. How exciting! And you are right, it is a start. ;))

missladuree

Rough_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1415638674|3780682 said:
Better hours, better pay. Seems like a no brainer. How exciting! And you are right, it is a start. ;))

Thank you. The responses here are pretty clear. It really helps!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You will learn as much helpful stuff at JE as you would anywhere -- working for Tiffany I learned quite a bit but most of it just what any jewelry store job would teach. The important thing is to get experience in the industry, see if you like retail, & have it on your resume. It's a step in the direction you want to go.

Retail hours are really hard, I thought -- weekends & holidays working, and late hours, where I was. You will be horribly stressed if you take a job that keeps you till 10:30 -- once you put away the jewels & drive home, 11:30 probably -- you'll feel SO guilty & deprived at not seeing your daughter enough. No job is worth that. I say JE with everyone else! And happy thoughts for your future!

missladuree

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1415646588|3780754 said:
You will learn as much helpful stuff at JE as you would anywhere -- working for Tiffany I learned quite a bit but most of it just what any jewelry store job would teach. The important thing is to get experience in the industry, see if you like retail, & have it on your resume. It's a step in the direction you want to go.

Retail hours are really hard, I thought -- weekends & holidays working, and late hours, where I was. You will be horribly stressed if you take a job that keeps you till 10:30 -- once you put away the jewels & drive home, 11:30 probably -- you'll feel SO guilty & deprived at not seeing your daughter enough. No job is worth that. I say JE with everyone else! And happy thoughts for your future!

The plus with JE is though they are retail, their hours are office hours. As you all said, time is important. Thank you very much!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
missladuree|1415582023|3780346 said:
I don't know if I can post things like this here but I'm in a dilemma. I've always wanted to work in the Jewelry industry and sell diamonds.

Cons for Kay: Commute is near but not as convenient. Very Low hourly! Mall hours extending beyond 10pm on weekends.

Pros for Jewelry Exchange: Big company as well but not as reputable as Kay. Higher hourly pay. Hours are office hours with the latest at 6:30pm. Not bad hours for Retail. Short commute from my place. Can be promoted as Diamond Consultant.

Cons for Jewelry Exchange: The location isn't the safest location as it's located in a not so nice neighborhood. Company reputation isn't as good as Kay's.

Kay: Commission is divided among the team members when you reach the sales goals. It's like TIPS.
Jewelry Exchange: No commission but they offer bonuses when company reach sales goals.

Basically, it's like the same structure when you think about it. Don't you feel the same way?

Both companies offer paid leaves, medical, room for advancement, etc. Kay is more on selling their brands like Le Vian, Open Hearts, etc. Jewelry Exchange is more on selling loose diamonds and their own jewelry.

Anyone who worked at these companies, your help is much appreciated! Which company would you choose and why? What's your initial thought for these companies?

If the hours at Kay isn't so terrible, I would've picked them in a heart beat. Take note, I have a daughter in Kindergarten.

for some reason my post was duplicated

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

duplicate

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

duplicate

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

I'm a mom of 4 with kids ranging from 5th grade to Sr. in High school. I say JE without a doubt. Kindergarden is such a special age. Elementary school kids NEED their moms. Actually all ages need their moms. My 2 kids in high school still need me more than ever. Different ages, different stage but kids need their parents. Mall hours are awful and you would miss out on so much with your daughter. I would put her first and it sounds like with JE you would get similar pay but with better hours and shorter commute. I agree that a mall at 10:30pm is VERY different than day hours. Years ago I worked at a mall when I was in college and when you are leaving after shutting down a store, it can be a pretty sketchy place.

Don't forget you will be gaining experience and after putting in some time you could always look at other stores if you aren't happy at JE.

Congrats on having 2 job offers to choose from. Nice delimma to have!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
missladuree|1415635672|3780655 said:

better hours & better pay gives you time with your child at home as well.
any new job is exhausting and you're going to need some time for yourself.
working until 1030p?! no way!

missladuree

Rough_Rock
asscherisme|1415679719|3781050 said:

I'm a mom of 4 with kids ranging from 5th grade to Sr. in High school. I say JE without a doubt. Kindergarden is such a special age. Elementary school kids NEED their moms. Actually all ages need their moms. My 2 kids in high school still need me more than ever. Different ages, different stage but kids need their parents. Mall hours are awful and you would miss out on so much with your daughter. I would put her first and it sounds like with JE you would get similar pay but with better hours and shorter commute. I agree that a mall at 10:30pm is VERY different than day hours. Years ago I worked at a mall when I was in college and when you are leaving after shutting down a store, it can be a pretty sketchy place.

Don't forget you will be gaining experience and after putting in some time you could always look at other stores if you aren't happy at JE.

Congrats on having 2 job offers to choose from. Nice delimma to have!

I guess at the end of the day, time is the deciding factor. I already made a decision and chose JE. Thank you for enlightening me!

missladuree

Rough_Rock
movie zombie|1415681141|3781062 said:
missladuree|1415635672|3780655 said:

better hours & better pay gives you time with your child at home as well.
any new job is exhausting and you're going to need some time for yourself.
working until 1030p?! no way!

I know right. Count the commute too. I'll probably get home by 11pm. I've already made a decision and chose JE. Thank you for your useful comments!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good move. Let us know how you like it once you get settled in, ok?

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results