shape
carat
color
clarity

2 days in Charleston, SC

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For anyone who is familiar with this city, what would you do if you had 2 days there (this coming weekend). The wrinkle, is that I'm going with my 80 year plus father (but he is active for his age) and 2 kids 10 and under.
The things we are thinking about now, is simply walking in the historic district, maybe taking a water taxi, maybe going to Middleton Place. I'm going to see if I can convince my group for a side trip to the huge Live Oak in St. John's island.

any restaurants in particular that anyone could recommend that are kid friendly but still relaxing, good food?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is plenty to see in the historic district. I love walking around and going in shops, but it might be harder with kids! The Charleston Museum has interesting historical things, there are tours of Ft. Sumter, plantations, etc. You probably can fill 2 days just walking downtown, though! We've always just stopped to eat wherever we are at the time, so I really can't name a specific restaurant. I'd choose a local one and not a chain, though!

Good suggestions on this site:

http://www.charlestonfamilyfun.com/tripplanner/attractions~197/museums~205/

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Diamond seeker for the link! I do like the idea and just wandering around and eating whereever we end up, just hope it isn't so busy that we can't someone to eat at last minute.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weekends may be busy, so plan to eat before 12 or after 1:30 or so. You are right that the prime lunch time may be busy as well as dinner on the weekends. You can always try to make dinner reservations once you walk around and see what appeals to you!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Zoe! I guess other than asking my Dad if we wanted a reservation for a particular place, we will keep our plans loose, just enjoy walking around, etc.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The aquarium is nice, definitely all ages friendly. The giant oak tree takes forever to get to and is ... just a tree.
The downtown farmer's market is enclosed (Marion Square), and fun to meander through.
Go over to Folly Beach for breakfast/brunch at Lost Dog Cafe. You will thank me later.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to give you an update, the weekend that we went, aside from Friday evening and early Saturday morning, it rained (downpour) to the point we couldn't do anything and downtown Charleston was flooded on Sunday!

We parked near rainbow row and walked up the Hyman's (seafood). Very friendly, but we were killed by the amount of food! I had a coupon for a free appetizer, we got that and then they gave us another free appetizer, the dishes were huge (both my husband and father got the flounder which literally hung over the plate) and the kids got coupons for free ice cream after dinner.
Saturday we walked around. The idea was to walk up and get on the boat to go to the Fort, but it was raining so hard we just walked around. We ate at Barbara Jeans simply because it was a place that had hamburgers and it was close by. But they were also really nice. The mixed berry dessert (cobbler?) was as my daughter said "OMG this is SO good!"

Then we escaped back to our hotel room, where we just hung out at hotel, swam and then ordered pizza for dinner.
The following day they were not letting people in downtown because it was flooded, and as there was lightning needless to say we didn't drive out to the Angel Oak.

Even though the weather was awful, I was seriously impressed how gracious and friendly the locals were. Both places we ate would be considered "low country" cuisine. I'm glad I tried it but realize it is not my thing, a little too heavy.

So sometime I hope to go again when the weather cooperates!
Though I am glad I stayed out of downtown/historic district this trip because of the flooding, if I were to plan another trip, I would seriously consider booking downtown due to the convenience factor.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Oh, total bummer it rained most of your time there ;(

I only now saw this post; I wish I'd seen it before. My parents live in Charleston and I have two kids 5 and 3, so next time I can try to give some suggestions.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can't go wrong with any of the restaurants there, there are so many non-chain restaurants.
I think it was fun just walking around, so I hope I get to go again and do a plantation tour and a house or historical tour.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my daughter and I went there was a downpour, like clockwork, every evening...but not during the day every day. It was simply hot during the day, although it was not yet summer. I would always recommend the carriage tours. For people who cannot walk a lot-or people who can-they are really informative and a great deal of fun. I believe that we went on them twice. We did stay in the historic district downtown and never took out our car while we were there. We treated Charleston the way we would have treated New York City, like a pedestrian city. Taxis and chairs drawn by bicycles are available to people who need rides, however.

After having enjoyed Charleston, we made a trip to Savannah, Georgia the next year. Everyone had told us to compare the two cities.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results