carat
color
clarity

What was your favorite wedding gift?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
So, I''m coming upon 5 years of marriage and feeling quite nostalgic
5.gif
DH and I eloped with a tiny group of people and then went to dinner. We received few gifts compared to a wedding, which was okay by me. I remember the day that DH''s aunt and uncle dropped off their gift to us. I was so excited. What could be in this HUGE box?! A step stool
33.gif
At the time I was quite dissapointed - a step stool, really? Guess what? Now that stepstool has this very odd special place in my heart. That step stool has saved me when the smoke alarm went on the fritz, or I needed to hang my favorite curains, or rescue the cat from the plant shelf becuase she figured out how to get up but not down
3.gif
That step stool was the most thoughtful and useful gift (aside from my pink tool set for Christmas
9.gif
). So, now when I go to a wedding my gift is ..... a step stool!

What was your favorite gift?

Step_Ladderlaierheaihr.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's funny, SB. I love that the step stool has a special place in your heart!

I think my favorite wedding gift is the porcelain serving platter that my grandmother's oldest friend bought for us while in Berlin right before the wedding. My family is from Berlin, and the fact that my grandmother and her friend met while they were young girls in Berlin makes me think of the both of them every time I see it.

Also, my mom's closest friends threw us a "holiday shower" and everyone brought gifts associated with a particular holiday to the shower. I love all of those gifts, too, because they each remind me of that wonderful time in our lives and of all of the wonderful women in my life. Every holiday I take out something that sends me right back to that shower and how loved I felt during our entire engagement. I hope they throw a similar shower for my sister, it was such a wonderful idea.

Gosh, am I sentimental or what?

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Practically I LOVE our Dyson Animal-I didn''t think anyone would get it for us and my Grandmother did-we have 2 cats and a dog and I freaking love how much hair it gets up!

Sentimentally I love our china-there are many pieces and many different people who gave them to us, knowing that I will be looking at them and using them many years down the road and remembering those people makes me feel all warm and fuzzy
9.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
We love the pots and pans (calphalon tri ply stainless) that we bought with the Macys gift cards we got!

SB-I love the step stool story:)

and Haven-oh a holiday shower is a great idea!!!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde, i was given a step ladder like yours for my 30th this year by my MIL and i love it because i can''t reach any of the cupboards in my kitchen without it!

Our favourite sentimental wedding gift came from one of DH''s mates. It was his own design and he had a friend who is a glass blower make it in Margaret River (famous wine region in the south west of Western Australia). It came with a story attached about 2 waves coming together to form one. DH is a surfer and the waves represent us coming together for form one unit as a family.

Our favourite practical present is our nesspresso coffee machine. I didn''t even drink coffee before we got it and now i have at least 4 a week. It''s so easy to use, it''s clean, theres no mess from it and the best bit is theres so many different flavours and strengths of coffee to choose from!

nespresso.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I love all of our gifts, so it''s hard to choose. I think one of my absolute favorite things is a set of mixing bowls from C&B. They''re so colorful and they make me happy when I use them. I''m easy to please, apparently!

Oh, and one of my favorite artists is a woman in my hometown. She does wonderful prints of different historical structures in town, and I love them. A family friend gave us a framed print of one of her pictures, and I adore it.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I think our favorite so far has been airline miles that were a gift from his dad. We''ve traveled a little this year and now that I am not working, I can travel to meet up with my husband for a long weekend and we are taking a trip to visit friends in India at the end of summer...it is both very sentimental AND practical!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I have that step stool! It wasn''t a wedding present, but it is a staple in our household--at least for this shorty.

My favorite gift was and is our invitations and beer labels (we gave homebrew as a favor). A family friend of DH''s designed them for us. She made us an album-size print of our invite. It is hanging in our living room and every time I see it, I just get so incredibly overwhelmed with happiness.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mr. Kama''s cousin gave us a pinic bag complete with stainless steel cutlery, mini plastic wine glasses, melamine plates and cloth napkins. Inside, they also packed a bottle of ice wine, some godiva chocolates, shortbread cookies from Scotland, a few other munchies and a favourite boardgame they taught Mr. Kama to play as a child (Balderdash). Best. Gift. Ever.

Can''t tell you how much fun we''ve had with each component of the gift.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 5:35:16 PM
Author: Zoe
Hmmm, I love all of our gifts, so it's hard to choose. I think one of my absolute favorite things is a set of mixing bowls from C&B. They're so colorful and they make me happy when I use them. I'm easy to please, apparently!

Oh, and one of my favorite artists is a woman in my hometown. She does wonderful prints of different historical structures in town, and I love them. A family friend gave us a framed print of one of her pictures, and I adore it.
oo we got those as well! we normally do buffet style at home for dinner, so it nice to put my big bowls of pasta or salad in them in well.

i think for us, would be a toss up between our braville espresso maker,OR , our bar from C&B. It is just so rad. But i think what I appreciate the most is getting our casual"fine" china set and silverware set in complete. having a full set just makes it feel like a real house.

ParkerSpiritsCabinet3QF9.jpg

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
My all clad set, hands down. My wealthy cousins bought us a whole set and they are amazing. We bought the cheapest of the cheap from target and had one good wok before. There is nothing like going from pulling chipping paint from the unevenly cooked mealy to perfectly browned everything. I can''t remember what kind, I know they weren''t the copper, but they were the highest rated by consumer reports. We are both good cooks, but there is a limit to what you can do when your supplies stink. We use them every day since we cook all the time and I just love them.

My other favorite was purchased with returns. DH''s parants thought we were being snobby by registering at bed bath and beyond, even though the vast majority of our registry was under $100, so they told everyone in the family to get us household stuff from walmart. Obviously, when you have all clad and Henckels knives, generic walmart versions just aren''t something you keep. One of the things we bought with the store credit was a toaster that also steams an egg so you could make your own breakfast sanwich. It cost about $30 and is the greatest kitchen gadget. Every morning while I am making breakfast, I put in a wheat bagel and a large egg. When they are done, I add a slice of cheese and some mushrooms and I have an easy, tasty, healthy lunch for about 35 cents a day.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Oooohhh, a toaster that steams an egg too? I must find one of these! DH likes to tease me because I have the attention span of a five year old - and that includes fixing breakfast
3.gif
I can finally move beyond a cup of rice pudding
5.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
My uncle got us an all expenses paid trip to NY, including our flights, hotel and all spending money. It was fabulous.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My aunt crocheted an afghan for us as her wedding gift to us. It looks PERFECT in our guest bedroom, and I love that she put so much time and effort into it. That''s probably my favorite wedding gift.
1.gif

And I love the stepstool! I soooo wish someone had given us a stepstool! I''m vertically challenged and I could REALLY use one sometimes! It''s so humiliating to ask DH to reach something for me. It just gives him a chance to gloat over his tallness and my shortness!
20.gif

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We got beautiful pieces made of crystal and silver, like glasses, vases, ice bowls, etc and photo frames. I love them all and they gave a very refined look to our new home. We also got a beautiful piece of art, a painting, from my publisher, which i found extremely polite and generous. But i have to admit that my most favourite gift was the diamond necklace and bracelet that my parents in law gave me...I recently posted more pictures of them on SMTB. It was an unexpected and unforgettable gift...

Pure diam 333.jpg

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
we got a set of silver tea spoons that were given to DH's grandparents when they got married in 1936. his oldest auntie gave it to us, and I am surprised she didn't give it to her own son when he got married. I will also pass them on in the future when one of the next generation kids gets married.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Naty - I didn''t see your beautiful set in your wedding photos. Did I just miss something?

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2010 9:15:56 PM
Author: Sparkly Blonde
Naty - I didn''t see your beautiful set in your wedding photos. Did I just miss something?
No, you didn''t miss anything. If you read my thread on SMTB you will see that my parents in law gave me the box with the diamond set at an unexpected moment during the wedding reception because they wanted it to be a big surprise in front of all our guests. Most of the pictures that i posted on BWW were taken on the day of our ceremony (26th of May), when i didn''t have the set yet and the rest were taken during the beginning of the reception (on the 28th of May), when they hadn''t given me the gift yet. I have a few pics which were taken by friends after i received my gift and i''ve worn it but they are of the worst quality and i also thought that it wasn''t a good idea to post them, since there were other people in them who wouldn''t be very happy having their picture posted on PS without their permission. But i finally decided to crop them, magnify them and post them here, because what you said made me feel that you were somehow doubting me and the things that i said. So here are the bad quality pictures and Naty H&A wearing her set...

small photos 028.JPG

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one...I hope that everybody is convinced and satisfied now
21.gif

small photos 025.JPG

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2010 10:00:38 AM
Author: Naty H&A
21.gif
Um, what? I''m sorry, who said they didn''t believe you?
33.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2010 3:06:43 PM
Author: sunnyd

21.gif
33.gif
Yeah - I definitely read the PP''s comment as "Wow, those are beautiful, I can''t believe I missed them!" not "I didn''t see them in your pictures so you must be lying."

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

21.gif
33.gif
Sunnyd, suppose that you say that you received a specific gift for your wedding and then somebody comes back and tells you that they don''t see you wearing it at your wedding pictures, which you have posted on a totally different thread and at the end they ask: "Did i miss something?" How do you understand those comments? Please enlighten me, because i might be getting this the wrong way. Personally, i understand that the person who makes the specific comment and in that specific way is doubting you and what you say... Maybe it is the lawyer in me talking here, but i didn''t like the way that comment sounded. And my last phrase was general as if i was addressing everybody on the thread, coz i didn''t want to point it directly to the specific person. Last but not least, i''ve been around here for a long time now and everybody who''s reading my posts knows for a fact that i''m not the kind of person who attacks and misunderstands other people or has a bad attitude towards anybody. This is the one and only time that i got upset about something that somebody said and in my opinion for good reason. I hope i have answered your question about who said they didn''t believe me...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2010 3:28:15 PM

21.gif

33.gif

Sunnyd, suppose that you say that you received a specific gift for your wedding and then somebody comes back and tells you that they don''t see you wearing it at your wedding pictures, which you have posted on a totally different thread and at the end they ask: ''Did i miss something?'' How do you understand those comments? Please enlighten me, because i might be getting this the wrong way. Personally, i understand that the person who makes the specific comment and in that specific way is doubting you and what you say... Maybe it is the lawyer in me talking here, but i didn''t like the way that comment sounded. And my last phrase was general as if i was addressing everybody on the thread, coz i didn''t want to point it directly to the specific person. Last but not least, i''ve been around here for a long time now and everybody who''s reading my posts knows for a fact that i''m not the kind of person who attacks and misunderstands other people or has a bad attitude towards anybody. This is the one and only time that i got upset about something that somebody said and in my opinion for good reason. I hope i have answered your question about who said they didn''t believe me...

I''m with Princess - the comment sounded totally innocent. PP was just wondering where the pictures of your set were, since she hadn''t noticed it before and wanted to see more of it. She wondered if they were in your wedding pictures but she overlooked it. No where in there did anybody imply you were lying about anything. I think you''re taking her comment way out of context.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock

21.gif
33.gif
Sunnyd, suppose that you say that you received a specific gift for your wedding and then somebody comes back and tells you that they don''t see you wearing it at your wedding pictures, which you have posted on a totally different thread and at the end they ask: ''Did i miss something?'' How do you understand those comments? Please enlighten me, because i might be getting this the wrong way. Personally, i understand that the person who makes the specific comment and in that specific way is doubting you and what you say... Maybe it is the lawyer in me talking here, but i didn''t like the way that comment sounded. And my last phrase was general as if i was addressing everybody on the thread, coz i didn''t want to point it directly to the specific person. Last but not least, i''ve been around here for a long time now and everybody who''s reading my posts knows for a fact that i''m not the kind of person who attacks and misunderstands other people or has a bad attitude towards anybody. This is the one and only time that i got upset about something that somebody said and in my opinion for good reason. I hope i have answered your question about who said they didn''t believe me...
I think you''re being very touchy here, Naty. I saw it as a genuine question. Maybe she wanted to see a couple of pics since that is a very nice and generous gift from your ILs. Jeez.
40.gif

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright sunny...I'll take your advice and give the benefit of the doubt here
2.gif

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2010 4:09:35 PM
Author: elrohwen

21.gif

33.gif

I''m with Princess - the comment sounded totally innocent. PP was just wondering where the pictures of your set were, since she hadn''t noticed it before and wanted to see more of it. She wondered if they were in your wedding pictures but she overlooked it. No where in there did anybody imply you were lying about anything. I think you''re taking her comment way out of context.

Elrohwen, thank you for your thoughts... PP couldn''t be wondering where are the pictures of my set, coz i had specifically mentioned in my initial post that i had very recently posted the pics on a separate thread on Show Me The Bling.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2010 4:19:00 PM

Date: 6/7/2010 4:09:35 PM
Author: elrohwen

21.gif

33.gif

Elrohwen, thank you for your thoughts... PP couldn''t be wondering where are the pictures of my set, coz i had specifically mentioned in my initial post that i had very recently posted the pics on a separate thread on Show Me The Bling.
Yeah you''re right, Sparkly Blonde totally called you a liar because she didn''t go look at your SMTB thread for proof of the jewelry''s existance. I get it now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results