shape
carat
color
clarity

What are the words your children mispronounce?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always thought it was so cute when DD would pronounce words incorrectly. Sometimes she would totally butcher words. What are some of things that your children mispronounce?

I’ll start:

Honeysnuggle = Honeysuckle
Bishwashra = Dishwasher
Gift sir-tick-a-fit = Gift certificate
Lie Berry = Library

Now that she's almost 16 - she's pretty much got the whole pronunciation thing down but it was cute while it lasted! I’m sure I’ll think of lots more as soon as I hit submit so I’ll be back.

PS - this isn't limited to children I guess. My mother says Geggabite for Gigabyte and my friends' MIL says High-Dep instead of High-Def. :lol:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have kids but a friend's daughter used to call me Snephanie instead of Stephanie. And then one day I came over and she could say it correctly, and she told me "I used to call you something else, when I was little." It made me laugh so much.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I have 4 nephews and would babysit 2 of them often so this is what I remember.

Stephanie = Tefanie or Teffi
Yellow = Lello
Lions = Yions
Mora = Morria

those are all I can remember right now.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
stephb0lt|1295902099|2831689 said:
I don't have kids but a friend's daughter used to call me Snephanie instead of Stephanie. And then one day I came over and she could say it correctly, and she told me "I used to call you something else, when I was little." It made me laugh so much.

Oh that's so cute!

Micah pretty much says everything wrong right now (he's still a baby lol), but I used to say some really silly stuff when I was little. The biggest one was that I would call tires, tigers. I was way into Reba Macintyre (did I spell that right?) as a kid and I called her Rega Macintiger. So that translated to tires, are tigers.

It was funny until my kindergarten teacher called my mom all concerned that I was dyslexic. LOL.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
My 2 year old says "eff-a-lent" instead of elephant. It's too cute.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
My daughter is 13 months so only has a handful of words - the ones she mispronounces are:

Dog = 'Dawg' :razz:
Teacher = 'Tee-ta'
Thanks = 'Danks'
Ball = 'Baa''

She says 'No' perfectly, as well as 'Daddy' and 'Mummy' - the few times she does say my name - as well as 'Baby' and 'Ba-bye'.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
DD is 2.5, so she says a lot of things that only I understand.

nana = banana (she would not say the "ba")
jum juice = Jamba Juice
choc-let = chocolate
stra-bre = strawberry
stachio = pistachio
Is-a-botha = Isabella (her friend from daycare)

That's all I can think of right now.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
My friends 18 month old says, "tuh-dow" which translates to touchdown. Im from a very football obsessed place ;-)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
When London was in pull ups, the girls kind are princess ones. I called them princess pants. London called them "Suss-ess peeps". The toilet was the Lily, and toilet paper was Lily-popper. Trapper used to call my brother's fiance Jennifer, Jefah. London called JD, Dally, for Daddy. Trapper said "nuggle" for snuggle.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Kyle will be 2 in a few weeks, so just about everything is funny sounding coming out of his mouth at this point. The one that makes me giggle but really shouldn't is "apple". Umm, it sounds not so nice but just makes me think of the baby on "Meet the Fockers" :tongue:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What words DOESN'T she mispronounce? Haha. She actually speaks pretty clear lately but I love when she substitutes words completely.

Gemblemen = Gentlemen (when she plays she does this whole ladies and gentlemen bit).

Giggly = tangled/messy/in the way (substitute word but cute)

Tough = Tired

Dunk = Duck

She also completely butchers our last name but at least she knows it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1295912715|2831939 said:
What words DOESN'T she mispronounce? Haha. She actually speaks pretty clear lately but I love when she substitutes words completely.

Gemblemen = Gentlemen (when she plays she does this whole ladies and gentlemen bit).

Giggly = tangled/messy/in the way (substitute word but cute)

Tough = Tired

Dunk = Duck

She also completely butchers our last name but at least she knows it.

Gemblemen -- too cute! :bigsmile:

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Sientate (sit down) = tatetete

Itsy bitsy spider = bita bita per (took me a lonnnng time to figure that out)

Help me = ah me

When she wants you to do something she says "dee-tu" I still don't know what that is.

Sophie = Sotie, Sophia = Sssssssaaaaaaa

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol, I remember my oldest use to call green beans, gen gens, to this day we still call the that :lol: (he is 25)

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
My son did this all the time!

yegular = regular
nemolaide = lemonaide
bignoculars = binoculars
mammy wooleth = wooly mammoth
chalk egzorbers = shock absorbers
What are you going to be when you grow up? - "A meteorologist like Daddy" He's a urologist
Who is on the five dollar bill? Georgeham Lincoln!

There are tons more. I'll keep thinking

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hunter is 2, and the funniest ones are:

Agillator = Alligator
Goggie = Doggie
Rocky = Broccoli

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm noticing a lot of kids just scramble up some of the syllables. I just love little kid language.

Mustang, my mommy brain isn't functioning so I can't figure out how Kyle pronounces apple! :lol:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Daisy has lots of mispronunciations at 20 months, but usually susses it out pretty quick. Ones that are standing the test of time are:

elent - elephant
nake - snake
lello - yellow
dot dot - chocolate
Pad-in-pan - Paddington Bear
terkell - turtle
Tinkle, Tinkle, Itta Ar - Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
Duck-us - Douglas (her cousin)
sod-ige - sausage
ug - hug (she's a minx and uses this whenever she wants something I have said no to, especially if by hugging me she can reach the banned object. Also used as a bed-time delaying tactic!)

(I also said nakes, elents, lello and also po-lea bears (polar bears) and still do most of the time, but I've been careful to say the correct words to her.)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is really cute Zoe.

She scrambles up sentence structure all the time. Today she asked "Did school be good day?" She meant "Did you have a good day at school?"

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are some of the things my 4.5 yr old used to mispronounce when he was 2.5...

snowblowing the driveway= snow bowling the dry lite
chicken with ketchup= tidden with tuppup
Hannah (our bunny)= Nannah
Stream= Feam

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite was from my dad's childhood. My grandmother always has to retell the story when I see her.

Refrigerator = sh*terator

My name was also way too long for a little boy that I used to babysit. I told him to call me Kim but he'd always here my mother call me my full name, so he would try too. I was "Kimbleeeeee" :cheeky:

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
JT is almost 5 and still mispronounces a lot of words. We were hoping he would catch up but he hasn't yet.

psgetti-spagetti
pospital-popsicle (I think this came about because when he was young he always had tonsillitis and he associated them with the hospital)
nakes-thanks
lelly-Lily
baw-ball
montey-monkey
bud-bug
dut-duck

He's got lots more. It was really cute for a long time, but now I'm getting worried. We'll soon be seeing if he'll be in a speech class. The funny thing is, he has a HUGE vocabulary but not many can understand everything he says.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
puppmom|1295917008|2832038 said:
I'm noticing a lot of kids just scramble up some of the syllables. I just love little kid language.

Mustang, my mommy brain isn't functioning so I can't figure out how Kyle pronounces apple! :lol:

The totally not appropriate to be coming out of my 2 year old, a$$hole :cheeky:. But my snickering when he says it probably isn't helping!

Last night Kyle tried out his trampoline for the first time, and long strings of "dup dup dup dup" was coming out of the play room. He was saying Jump every time he jumped on it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
MustangGal|1295970776|2832606 said:
puppmom|1295917008|2832038 said:

The totally not appropriate to be coming out of my 2 year old, a$$hole :cheeky:. But my snickering when he says it probably isn't helping!

Last night Kyle tried out his trampoline for the first time, and long strings of "dup dup dup dup" was coming out of the play room. He was saying Jump every time he jumped on it.

Superb! Have you seen the 'Say Frog' video on You-tube?

Daisy cracks me up at the moment - I keep catching her saying 'Oh Daisy' in this really tired and exasperated voice. :bigsmile: She also calls pyjamas 'dums' for some reason.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Grandpa = Damnpa. Makes me chuckle every time I hear it.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
chicken = kitchen -- I keep correcting her but it's still "chicken"

Pathifier - pacifier
budderfly - butterfly
STRAWbarrrry - strawberry -- this one she just enunciates funny...it's very cute

lili

Ideal_Rock
LOL....at this age, what words don't they mutilate?
DD still have problem enunciating the "L"....it either sounds like a Y or D.
alone -- ayone
yellow -- yedow
lost -- yost
you get the picture

One recent one that got me laughing was when she asked for her "footbar" when we were driving home.
I had thought she wanted a football and told her that it is at home.
She told me...no, not daddy's footbar. my footbar (fruit bar strip from TJ) that is sticky.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1295917097|2832040 said:
Daisy has lots of mispronunciations at 20 months, but usually susses it out pretty quick. Ones that are standing the test of time are:

ug - hug (she's a minx and uses this whenever she wants something I have said no to, especially if by hugging me she can reach the banned object. Also used as a bed-time delaying tactic!)

LOL, isn't it funny how the hugs sometimes coincide with being lifted closer to the object of desire. :devil: When we tell A it is time for bed, she starts saying "snuggle, snuggle." It is hard to resist, which the little minx knows.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results