shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 18th Feb till 24th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all!

My new weights routine is going well, but the temperature has plummeted here, so going into our little gym isn''t an appealing prospect at the moment - but I have forced myself! So I have got some workouts in recently, but a couple of times in the week, I was noticing something interesting....I have been doing more weights recently and less cardio, but the middle of the week, I was noticing I had all this nervous energy and I was craving a fast trot on my treddy! So I went and did a good 50 mins and felt so much better afterwards. I was fine for a couple of days and really felt I needed another session, which I did and thoroughly enjoyed! I think it just goes to show that now cardio is a very healthy outlet for me, and that my body now has begun to crave exercise. Who knew? Three years ago I would have poured scorn on such a ridiculous notion that I would ever find exercise enjoyable or appealing!

So it just goes to show how exercise can have a beneficial effect in many areas of your life. I like the fact that if I am stressed or irritable, I can hop onto the treddy or elliptical and pound away and do myself some good at the same time. The human body was designed to move and be active, which can often be difficult with today''s lifestyles. That is why it is so important to try to fit in some cardio where possible, also so you can reap the benefits that can''t be seen as I like to say, such as lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and to give the heart a solid workout. Also I find now cardio has helped to make my metabolism much more efficient, after I had almost destroyed it from years of fad and very low calorie diets. I can also use it as a tool to help me maintain, if I overdo it with the eating, I can always work a little harder or do cardio for a bit longer, and that really seems to help me stay on an even keel.

My treadmill has now become an essential for me, and I will never be without one now. This is my favourite method of cardio exercise, but it is important to use the one you find most enjoyable, such as the elliptical, pounding sidewalks, hiking, jogging, so that you will actually get out there and do it! It can change your life, as I have found!

Have a great week
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy New Week fellow WWT''rs.

Lorelei, I''ve really noticed that myself. Once you find something you really enjoy doing whether it be weights, the TM or just going for a walk outside you''ll continue to seek it out and do it as often as you can. And that''s a good thing. I am really looking foward to getting over our pants weather so I can go walk around the park again.

Have a great day.
Marcy

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning all! I hope everyone had a good weekend. My weekend was pretty good, low key and relaxing. It''s just a shame that today isn''t a holiday for some of us (me included), so no three day weekend for me
7.gif
. BF is still recovering from the flu, so we decided to do my birthday dinner this coming Friday, so should be nice. I hit the stairmaster on Saturday and had a nice long walk yesterday, with both feeling pretty good. Looking forward to more elliptical fun tonight
9.gif

Lorelei - great topic! I agree with you on exercise being a good outlet. After many a bad day at work, I''ve found exercise to be very therapeutic and I''ve looked forward to it. It does become a part of you when you "get in the groove".

marcyc - Howdy!
35.gif
Hope you had a great weekend!

And howdy
35.gif
to the rest of the WWTers! Hope you have a great week!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Lorelei, I hope I get to where you are soon! I have less than an hour before my induction at the gym and I am dreading it. I am sure I will be glad I went.

RoseRed

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone... I''m new to PS and one of the reasons I came out of lurking is this weekly thread and I''m wondering if I might join in? (The other reason is the diamonds, oh, the diamonds!
2.gif
) I have some health issues and have recently set some serious goals hoping to really, and finally, make a change. All of the posters here are so inspiring and upbeat (especially Lorelei and Marcyc--wow!You ladies rock) that I would love to take part.
emembarrassed.gif
(it''s funny but I feel kinda embarrassed & nervous...like a job interview!)
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome RoseRed!! I am new to this part of the forum too but the people are lovely and they will help you loads!
1.gif

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
hey wwt! hope everyone had a great weekend. i made it to the gym both days and also cooked up a big pan of veggie lasagna last night. i made my own tomato sauce and i seriously think this was my best lasagna ever. so yummy and perfect comfort food for the cold dreary weather we''ve been having. i am also still loving my decision to ditch sweets for a while, it''s really toned down my cravings.

today i''ve got a pumpkin bran muffin for breakfast , a slice of lasagna for lunch, and a big juicy navel orange for a snack. i''ve got family in town this afternoon so we are going out for an early dinner. i checked out the menu and will have cedar-planked fresh fish. i''ll have to skip my zumba class cause of dinner, but i am planning to bike at home instead.

maisie, good luck with your induction, i''m sure it won''t be as painful as you''re expecting!

rose, welcome to the wwt.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Happy new week! Whew, 1 more week and the movers will be here to pack everything up for us! I can''t wait to get to our new house and get back into a normal routine. I did manage to have a good 3 mile run this weekend. Yesterday was spent at the beach...Adam''s company set up a catered event for all his manager''s families to come out and say their goodbyes to him. It was really nice, but not really the most healthy foods. Anyway, I am doing well foodwise today...oatmeal for breakfast, turkey sandwhich w/baked lays for lunch and dinner will be a rotisserie chicken with rice. Hope everyone has a great day!

Lorelei, you are so right...cardio helps releive my stress so much

Hi, Marcy, PW, Maisie, Shortblonde, and welcome RoseRed
35.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock

All right ladies (and Rod!)... I''ve said I was going to post before, but unfortunately life (school!) always seems to get in the way. But now that my "4th year vacation" portion of my last year of med school has arrived, there are no more excuses! So I am going to start posting more to keep myself a little more honest :) Plus, I really want to be in great shape / state of mind heading into my hectic intern year which I will start in July, so I can mostly then put the eating and exercise on cruise control and stay on track through the crazy stress.

We celebrated my hubby''s birthday over the weekend, with a super indulgent (but so good!) brunch at our fave Philadelphia restaurant. Seriously tasty and worth it! Of course, then we ate some cheesecake later in the day too so it ended up being the heavy sort of day that I rarely have anymore. Then on Sunday, S went off to Houston for some work training deal until late Thursday night. So I''m looking at it as serious me time, strict diet after a crazy weekend, and lots of exercise. Already did my elliptical this AM before class, and now I am going to skip class this afternoon (um... he said we could haha) and take my dog for a long walk.

Lorelei- I really have to agree w/ you that finding some form of exercise that you LOVE is so important. I''m an elliptical girl at the moment for cardio, which I like but never crave. What I do crave, I can''t do often and it''s so frustrating. I was a figure skater for many years and I still looove it and THAT is what I crave. Unfortunately living in the city makes it very difficult to skate often. If I could skate whenever I wanted, cardio would never be an issue! I also enjoy rollerblading, but again the city issue. S loves to go blading with me as well, which makes it even better! But it takes a good 30-40 min each way to drive somewhere that we could blade and that really defeats the purpose. In the future, I think we will have to make access to ice rink / blading site a priority.

Mara- I just saw your pancakes on last week''s thread as I was trying to catch up. I think they sound fantastic! I am always trying to get S to eat better with me as well. And you can tell Greg that even though he seems to be in perfect health now, eating less junky food is STILL good for him in the long run. All that white stuff has no fiber, little nutritional value. Vitamins and fiber are both huge in preventing cancers and other down the line sequelae. I always tell S he has to eat better because he is not allowed to leave me!

I’m off to take the dog out; it’s so warm today! 65?! Sure is windy though. Good luck to all the people who are job hunting these days! I’ll try to check in again later
1.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Good morning, everyone!

I had a really fun weekend--one of my best friends from college came into town yesterday with her bf and we took them wine tasting. Yum! It was so fun seeing her.

Unfortunately, out of town guests mean that we didn''t eat quite as healthily as normal. Oh well.

Today is a holiday for us, but we have filled it up with chores to get done, so I don''t have time to write much. Sounds like everyone is doing great, though--I hope everyone who has the day off today enjoys it!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Hope everyone is starting off to a good week. The husband and I are going to be doing sort of a "detox" thing this week -- tons of fruits and veggies, whole grains, and maybe a bit of fish. But no other meat, dairy, etc. I have felt sort of "blah" lately and have been craving lots of fruits & veggies so I think my body needs this. This morning had a big bowl of steel cut oats that filled me up. I am usually lazy about making breakfast, but I am really interested in trying this recipe from Dr. Oz on Oprah:

Dr. Oz''s Green Drink

* 2 cups spinach
* 2 cups cucumber
* 1 head of celery
* 1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root
* 1 bunch parsley
* 2 apples
* Juice of 1 lime
* Juice of 1/2 lemon

After everything is combined in a blender, this recipe makes 28 to 30 ounces—about three to four servings. Oprah takes a sip and is pleasantly surprised. "It''s a glass of fresh," she says.

I think we''ll probably have that before work, and then steel cut oats mid-morning. I''m thinking a bowl of cooked veggies for lunch, with fresh fruit and nuts as a snack. Dinner will probably be a bit of brown rice and more cooked vegetables, with more fresh fruit for dessert. If I''m still hungry, more green drink! The toughest part of the week will be taking myself off of diet soda. I know that they''re not great for me, and I definitely have a caffeine addiction. Hopefully this week won''t be too rough.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, so the gym didn't kill me, but by eck it was hard!

The trainer is a young bloke who is very vigorous! He is very motivating
32.gif

He has made me a program to follow and he only wants me to go three times a week. I like that!

It turns out that my thigh muscles need strengthening so that my knees will stop hurting.

I came home feeling very good about myself - well done me!!!
9.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I went to my TBT class today, and it was tough, but I felt good about it and I think my one PT session last week really helped my endurance today. Also I bought some new workout clothes over the weekend, got some of those special sweat wicking shirts, and one pair of shorts (that look like normal shorts, but have built in hotpants!). I wore one of the new shirts today and really liked it, I also think part of why I liked it, was because it was more fitted so it wasnt "in the way" like a regular t-shirt. Oh and I was looking at myself in the mirror during the class and noticed my arms and quads are looking cut, I was like "wow, when did that happen?", so I''m glad my efforts have been paying off. I''ll have to get back on the bodyfat scale one day this week and see how much I have improved since 1/22.

Welcome RoseRed! We are glad to have you!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Making a giant lasagna to take to my brother and his family. I''m a bit disappointed that I can''t have a big old piece, but now that I''m seeing a bit of a change in my body from working out, I have a bit more will power when it comes to food. Finally bought a mattress. It should be here in about a week. While I was at it, I also got new bedding (sheets for $45, and comforter for $99!) and now I''m looking for side tables.

Lorelei I''ve begun feeling the same way about my yoga. I wasn''t able to do it for the last couple of days because of mattress shopping. So, today, I was actually excited that I got to workout. (I can''t believe I just said that...)

RoseRed I know what you mean about feeling nervous with your first post here. I just started posting on this thread a few weeks ago and I felt the same way. WELCOME! I know you''ll find a lot of inspiration here!

Shortblonde Your own tomato sauce?? How did you do that??

Steph Great run!

LP Glad you enjoyed time with friends!

Lindsey Good luck with detox. It would be very hard for me to come off the Diet soda, too.

Maise GREAT workout!!

Hi, Marcy, PW, icekid, Rod, and everyone else!

Well, I gotta get going to see my nephew some more. He''s so squishy!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
morning all!

well something funny happened to me last nite. well it's funny now but last nite it wasn't!! during our zumba class sometimes we use these little 3 lb weights in our hands to do some of the arm moves and the dancing...to add more level of challenge to the class. typically not a problem. however, since i was basically crippled most of last week, i think my body rebelled against having to do something so exertion related...because last nite i started getting SO SORE on my elbows, wrists, hands, fingers. like i could barely move my hands, couldn't grip anything with my fingers. my knees hurt, my neck. all my joints!! i think that it was a result of the zumba class...which at the time was freaky but this morning since i feel so much better, i think is kind of funny (in a sad way!). greg was nice enough to point out that i'm 33 now, so that i don't 'bounce back' as quickly as i used to...but i found it interesting that my joints were more affected than my muscles. in any case, i feel much better today but last nite was a study in 'how still can i sleep' so that i wouldn't aggravate my hands, neck, knees, etc. at least i slept a good 9.5 hours! hahaha. sleep is def healing and i'm taking advil for inflammation. but WOW. so i guess no run for me today...i am just glad i can move around without looking like a 75year old lady. i have never had anything like that happen to me before, so random.

so anyhow, i was planning on doing a bunch of gardening today but not sure how possible that is...phbbt. i might just settle for visiting the nursery and buying stuff to plant this week. we'll see. hope everyone else is enjoying their day off if they have one. poor greg isn't off today, so it's just me and portia today....she's probably like 'WHEN is this infernal woman going back to work??? i am so tired of hanging out with her!!' hehe.

eating yesterday was pretty good for a wkd actually. for 'lunch' i ate my leftover seabass and rice from friday night's dinner. string cheese and a cracker for snack. 3 cuties. then dinner was our fave new fish taco truck dinner, i had a scallop and a snapper taco and 1/2 a small prawn quesadilla. too many chips and salsa (not a chip and salsa fan but LOVE theirs...probably because they taste like FAT!)...and i was actually craving chocolate last nite for the first time in a week! but i had mixed frozen TJ berries with fage and some jam and it was quite tasty. our 2nd strawberry is still in the fridge and we have a handful of dark chocolate marshmallow hearts around but so far i am sticking with it.

breakfast this morning was egg, 1/2 english muffin, 1 piece center cut bacon. just had a snack of a mini wheat toasted TJ's bagel with light butter. not sure what lunch will be, maybe just soup. tonite i am making us homemade mac and cheese with three cheeses: emmenthaler, gruyere and sharp cheddar...a martha recipe i have perfected over the years. if i make it more healthy i use less cheese, and wheat/flax macaroni, we'll see how i feel...but i almost feel like now that i don't have 'desserts'...i can be a bit more decadent on the meal itself. which is kind of fun. we had mac and cheese this wkd at the diner and it reminded me that while i love mac and cheese that it bugs me how 'bland' it can be when places don't add spices like cayenne and cumin in...also this time i am going to add more white truffle oil than last time and see if i can get more flavor going on. we'll have it with a romaine, fuji apple and bleu cheese salad.

welcome rosered!
good luck with detox lindsey...monnie and i did that a year or two ago and it was really not quite fun after a few days, it's like okay how many veggies and fruits can i eat continuously? hehee. i didn't feel any diff either but it was kind of fun to try.
maisie, good for you on getting into a gym and going through the introduction to start.
apple, yay for your class!
somethingshiny, i usually make most of my own sauce too when i do lasagna, i love it....but i actually cheat a bit and supplement with a canned sauce that adds a bit more 'spice' to it. i'm such a flavor whore that it would take way too long for me to get a sauce to be the way i want it from scratch...i'd be forever modifying it.
icekid, yeah i do tell greg that but he just smirks haha.

anyhow, happy day all, hope everyone still down with the flu feels better....!!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei, I know what you''re talking about regarding the "craving" for excercise. Unfortunately I''m still trying to get to that point! A few years ago, I was working out regularly and definitely felt the cravings. I think I just haven''t found a routine yet that works with my schedule (i.e. working late, need to study, cooking, etc.) Ideally I would wake up early each morning for a workout, go to work, come home to study, then catch up with friends at night. But that whole waking up early in the morning part is just impossible!

Mara, I hope your joints feel better. BTW, your pancakes from last week looked delicious. I have to admit they sounded pretty nasty from your description, but after you posted the picture, I was thinking, "ok, I would give them a try." :)

I had a very lazy weekend. I have the day off today, so I guess I''m still lazy. I''m taking another new medication and one of the side effects is tiredness. UGH...as if I didn''t have a TON of things to do. I hope that after a few days this sluggishness will go away. Anyway, I didn''t have any energy to work out over the weekend. Out of frustration at being so tired, I also didn''t care to watch what I ate. Pizza for dinner last night. And it wasn''t even tasty.
7.gif

Enough of my moaning...looking forward to my weight training class tonight at the gym. I hope everyone had a good weekend!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol CJ yeah Greg''s description made them sound unappealing for sure!! But I loved them...and I ate the one he didn''t. Diff strokes I guess. And YES they are good looking aren''t they? hahaa.

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
shiny, tomato sauce is so easy - seriously! i sauteed about 1/2 a chopped onion and a couple cloves of garlic in a little olive oil, then added a glug of red wine and a bunch of spices (dried oregano, dried basil, red pepper flakes, ground black pepper and a bay leaf) and sauteed for another minute. then add a big can of crushed san marzano tomatoes (28oz, i think) and simmer for 20-30 minutes. this made the perfect amount of sauce for one recipe of lasagna.

and definitely check out the lasagna recipe in the healthy recipe thread so that you can eat lasagna too! the veggie one i make is similar, but with lots of veggies instead of the turkey. my recipe makes 8 big servings of ~350 cals each.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evening Everyone!

I had an OK day. Today was our condo''s annual meeting at 9 AM. Yikes, I haven''t had to be showered and dressed by 9 for a few weeks, so it was kind of odd. We''re the youngest in our condo building and no offense to older people, but OMG, do they ever whine and moan about nothing. They got all caught up in how much it costs to water and fertilize the plants. They want this, they want that. Finally, after 3 hours of piddly things I decided I''d had enough fun and made an excuse to leave and I went and met Charlie for lunch. Then I came home and found out I''m scheduled for a phone interview tomorrow for a really great job. It would be absolutely ideal for my skills. The money''s not as great I would have hoped, but the opportunity is certainly great. And the location from our house couldn''t be better. It''s literraly 3 miles away and it''s the company''s corporate headquarters. So please send more PS Fairdust for your pal Rod. Tonight, we had our usual Sushi, Fro Yo and coffee evening. I''m afraid Charlie''s coming down with another cold. It''s the stress of losing Koh and us both being unemployed that is likely causing him to get sick again. I just got back from the drug store and bought him all sorts of cold stuff. He''s coughing like crazy and I''m praying I don''t catch this one too. Assuming I don''t, I will certainly go to the gym tomorrow afternoon for sure.

Lorelei, I know what you mean about craving cardio and having a preference for something that get''s your heart rate and breathing up. You know for me, it''s the elliptical, but for many like yourself, it''s the treadmill. As long as it''s something, its a good thing indeed. Thanks as alwasy for a most motivating weekly opener!

Sorry for the pants weather Marcy. I hope conditions improve so you can go walk around the park!! I hope your knees and feet are feeling better.

Howdy PW!! Enjoy the elliptical tonigth!

Maise, I''m so glad you enjoyed your workout at the gym and you found the trainer inspiring and are pleased with the program he put together for you. I think you''ll find that once you really get into it, you''ll really get into it!! Way to go!!

Welcome RoseRed! I''m sure you''ll find that all the ladies and me (the lone guy at the moment) will offer as much support and encouragement as possible. Don''t ever feel nervous around us. We''re all dedicated to living healthier lives!

Way to go hitting the gym both days SB!! I''ll bet the veggie lasagna was wonderful!!

I''m glad you got in a 3 mile run Steph and yay for just one more week till the move. I''m sure you will be so happy to have your life in a normal routine again.

Hey icedkid! Good to see you and please do stick around and let us know how you''re doing!!

LP, I''m sure the wine tasting with your college friends was fun!

Good luck with the detox thing Lindsey. Mara and a few others here have done detoxes in the past.

I''m glad you liked the wick free shirt Apple. I have about a dozen of them know. I workout so hard that I really do work up a lot of sweat, so they are the only kind of shirts I can wear at the gym. Still, my wick free shirt is completely wet after I get off the elliptical. I can only imagine what I would be like without one
32.gif

somethingshiny, I''m not sure I could make a big ''ol lasagna and not have any?? I do know what you mean about having more willpower now that you''ve seen progress and congratulate you!!

I hope your muscles are feeling better Mara. It could have (likely was) been because you had the flu which does a number on your muscles. I''m sure you''ll gain strength quickly now that you''re feeling better and stronger.

Sorry you''re still on medicine CJ. I hope you enjoyed your weigt training class tonight!

That''s about it for me. Again, please send some Fairdust my way for tomorrow''s interview. Oh and I heard that the company I phone screend with last week is interested in me too. Plus there''s another company I will have a second interview with soon. So, at least there''s some real activity going on the job hunt front.

I''ll see you all tomorrow. Sleep well!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK.....This is kind of long, but I thought the article was really good and worth copying here. I took this from Yahoo tonight.......I hope it helps.

Common Reasons Your Workouts Don''t Work
All Quantity, No Quality

Take a look around the gym (if you haven''t quit going yet) and see how many people are really getting a quality workout. I''m always amazed by how many people are wandering aimlessly, walking leisurely on a treadmill while reading a book, lifting weights so light that not one hair moves out of place, or simply look bored. A lot of exercisers head to the gym out of habit, and as if on automatic pilot, put in some time and head back to work or home. If you are one of these people, ask yourself, "What do I want to get out of this?" If you want serious results, you need to do serious exercise. That doesn''t mean you can''t enjoy it and have fun. But it does means you need to focus on what you are doing and increase the quality of every movement. Once you start exercising with a real purpose and pushing both your aerobic capacity and your strength you will find your workouts take half the time and give better results.

Overestimating Your Exercise

Most exercisers are far too generous with estimates of exercise intensity and time, weight lifted and the frequency of their workouts. To avoid overestimating it''s helpful to keep an exercise log and track these items. Additionally, many people mistakingly believe that if they exercise at a moderate pace for 30 minutes they have burned lots and lots of calories and fat. Unfortunately, it''s not that simple. While exercise does burn calories over time and consistent exercise is one of the best ways to lose weight and keep it off, it''s hard to lose body fat through exercise alone. Which brings us to the next mistake. . .

Underestimating Your Eating

Many people are in denial about the foods they eat and especially the quantity consumed. If you really want to lose weight you need to be honest with yourself about what you put into your mouth and how that helps or hinders your weight loss goals. To get real with yourself, write it down. Tracking what you eat in a food diary will help you break the cycle of food denial. (Besides, you are the only one who needs to know).

Doing the Wrong Type of Workout

Where did you learn your current exercise routine? Watching others at the gym (who are exercising incorrectly)? From your friends, coworkers, the web, tv, newspaper, the latest research findings, or perhaps your 5th grade gym teacher? What you are doing for exercise directly determines the results you will get. To learn what you should do, there is no better place to start then by writing down your goals and then working with a professional trainer to design the right workout to meet those goals. Haphazard exercise will provide haphazard results.

Never Changing Your Workout

When you do the same thing day after day, you get very good at it. In exercise this is called the principle of adaptation. It basically means that we become very efficient by doing the same exercise over and over. This is great for sports performance, but not that great for weight lose, strength increases or physical fitness progression. If you always do the same workout for the same amount of time you will eventually hit a plateau where you fail to see any additional change. One way of overcoming this plateau is to modify your workouts every few weeks or months. You can change the type of exercise you do, the length, the amount of weight lifted or the number or reps. This is why professional athletes change their program during the off-season.

Using Incorrect Form or Technique

Learning the right way to exercise is essential to getting results. Form does matter, especially when doing any strength training exercise. Incorrect form or technique also sets you up for potential injuries, pain and soreness. To learn proper technique, there is no better place to start than with a personal trainer or coach.

Setting Unrealistic Goals

So, what are your goals? Are they realistic for you? If your goal is to be the next Lance Armstrong, and you only have 30 minutes a day to train, or wanting to lose 25 pounds in a month, well, how realistic is that? Again, it comes back to being honest with yourself about your abilities, your level of commitment and your lifestyle. We need to set appropriate goals that start from where we are and progress at an attainable pass or we are sure to get frustrated and quit.

Measuring the Wrong Results

Many people think their workout isn''t working because they don''t measure the right things. Looking for proof in a scale is often a set-up for disappointment because some new exercisers build muscle and lose fat, but the scale doesn''t provide information about body composition. Better ways to measure your fitness progress include tracking your heart rate at a given pace, measuring the distance you can cover in a certain amount of time, tracking the amount of weight you can lift, or even writing down how you feel -- physically -- at the end of each day. Many of the benefits from exercise are subtle and not visible by looking into the mirror, but things such as cholesterol level, blood pressure, and the ease with which you can do daily chores are every bit as motivating -- if you monitor them.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Shortblonde Now I feel like an idiot! I thought you made your own TOMATO SAUCE--as in, take ripe tomatoes, boil until the skin falls off, mash down, skim the top, etc. Like canning sauce.(memories from childhood....shudder...)

I do make all my own sauces like you're saying. In fact, I made a great lasagna sauce today. I always wish I would write down the recipe because it's hard to make it the same way twice. DH never like a sauce that I have put wine in. He's sort of okay if it's white wine, but he s red wine so he never likes it in anything either. But, that would open up a ton of possibilities!

Mara Glad you got a chance to exercise, hopefully the joint pain will subside very soon.

Rod Good Luck!!! And, (no offense to any age-group), but I completely understand where you're coming from. I always think, "really, you're going to complain about dumb sh*t when you don't know if you're going to be living next week..."

Hi, CJ!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
SS, I can never make the same thing twice. I rarely ever measure anything.

Rod, thanks for posting that article. And lots of luck for the phone interview tomorrow!!!! Lots of job fairy dust.

Kimberly, when do you start your teaching gig?

I went to the gym today for a weight training class, which was good. Then I did 40 minutes on the elliptical. Then took a vinyasa yoga class. It''s hard finding the right yoga instructor. So far I''ve taken three different yoga classes at my gym, and none of them were really challenging enough. I think it''s because none of them are solely yoga instructors. The one that taught tonight''s class also taught my weight training class and a step class.

Dinner was a tasty skirt steak salad. I bought these soy mini ice cream sandwiches. One box by Tofutti and the other box by So Delicious. Ingredients are comparable (a few ingredients in each that I couldn''t pronounce = shady). The Tofutti cuties are 130 calories each and 6 grams of fat. The So Delicious minis are 90 calories each and 2 grams of fat. Both are equally delicious. No question which one I''ll be purchasing in the future!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thsnks somethingshiny and CJ!!

Hey Kimberly.......I was watching the Food Network tonight and there''s a show called Diners Drive-Ins and Dives and one of the featured diners was The Studio Diner in San Diego. Do you ever go there?? They fly in whole ipswich (softshell) clams from New England and fry them up (I LOVE THEM) and they also make real chunk lobster Salad for authentic lobster rolls. If I ever come out there to visit, I so want to go to that diner! Was just curious if you all ever eat there?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I hope you had a great day. I ate lunch at Olive Garden with some friends. AAK – that can’t be good for healthy eating. I tried to beg off but they were so sad I relented and went with them. It was a 2 hour lunch too – I hope the boss didn’t notice. Then I got back to work and one of my employees left a piece of homemade chocolate cake at my computer. I ate some of it and threw the rest away when she wasn’t looking. We had rice, chicken and fresh fruit for supper so that was more normal food for me.
PW, I had a great weekend and I am glad you did too. I also had to work today. Rats, huh? I am glad you have a nice dinner to look forward to on Friday.
Welcome RedRose. Don’t be nervous – everyone on this thread is awesome. Thank you for much for the kind words about me. I started my journey due to serious health concerns so I can completely understand where you are and why you are here.
Shortblonde, your lasagna sounds great. I was thinking of brewing up another batch of lasagna for us soon too. I like how many meals we can get out of a pan.
Steph, the going away event for Adam sounds really nice. This week will really fly by for you.
Hi IceKid, good idea to get your eating and exercise routine in gear before you begin your internship this summer.
Ladypirate, I am sure the wine tasting was fun. What a fun way to entertain friends.
Lindsey, good luck with the detox this week.
Maisie, it sounds like the gym will be fun and good for you – woo hoo! You can do it girl.
Appletini, yay for noticing how toned up you’ve become from your hard workouts.
Somethingshiny, I am glad you found a mattress. That happens to us too; one new thing leads to another and another.
Mara, sorry to hear you had aching joints. I am still pretty achy from this weekend so I hope to hit the TM again tomorrow. It’s funny you mentioned looking for new plants today. I just took my photo album to work today with pictures of my flowers from last summer. I won’t be looking for new plants until the end of May.
CJ, it’s nice to have a lazy weekend sometimes. I hope you adjust to your medicine soon.
Rod, major amounts of PS Fairy Dust coming your way. Good luck with your interview tomorrow. I hope Charlie gets better soon. My feet and knees are better and I made sure to walk quite a bit at work today. We are in 2 big buildings so it’s not hard to get in extra steps at work. I think I will try the TM for maybe 10 minutes tomorrow. That is wonderful news that so many job possibilities are on the horizon for you too. I’m pulling for you from afar. I also hope this pants weather goes away. I am pretty tired of winter. Thanks for the great tips about working out.
Well take care and tomorrow I am not going to eat more than 1200 calories.
Marcy

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Good morning wwt....well, I seriously had one of the worst nights I can ever remember last night. First Adam got home from his last day of work in Ft. Lauderdale...he is supposed to be in Orlando right now, but he came home complaining that he wasn''t feeling well. I made dinner and he said he couldn''t eat. Then he started throwing up....so I took care of him, cleaned up everything and then Andrew wakes up and is throwing up...so I clean him up, take care of him....then Adam is sick again, clean up again...Andrew is sick, clean up again...then the worst part. I go to take all the dirty things to throw in the wash, then go out and the washing machine has had a leak and the whole floor was flooded....ahhh. Seriously, when it rains it pours. Now I haven''t slept much of the night (maybe 2 hrs. or so) and I am feeling sort of feverish...and, we have a lovely couple coming to look at our house to see if they would like to rent in out in 2 hours. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well...going to try to get a little more sleep before these people arrive. I will check back in later.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of COURSE you can join in Rose, good to have you here! Thanks for your kind words, please know you are among like minded friends here! Basically I think the WT is effective is because we don''t expect perfection and try to live in a healthy manner with food and exercise, so we can stick with it for the rest of our lives - with room for a few treats here and there!
27.gif
You can totally do this, please post away with the good and the bad and enjoy the positive process that you will find it to be!

Good for you Maisie!!!
emotion-19.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Icekid, I think that is totally a key thing, to enjoy what you do! I wish I could still iceskate as I would be doing that often if I had a rink nearby!

Ok we have missed a couple of weight workouts of an evening, but I fitted in some cardio instead. I am noticing another change, my upper thigh muscles are popping in a good way which makes my legs look trimmer still, that must be the leg extensions!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2008 10:40:14 PM
Author: CrownJewel
SS, I can never make the same thing twice. I rarely ever measure anything.

Rod, thanks for posting that article. And lots of luck for the phone interview tomorrow!!!! Lots of job fairy dust.

Kimberly, when do you start your teaching gig?

I went to the gym today for a weight training class, which was good. Then I did 40 minutes on the elliptical. Then took a vinyasa yoga class. It''s hard finding the right yoga instructor. So far I''ve taken three different yoga classes at my gym, and none of them were really challenging enough. I think it''s because none of them are solely yoga instructors. The one that taught tonight''s class also taught my weight training class and a step class.

Dinner was a tasty skirt steak salad. I bought these soy mini ice cream sandwiches. One box by Tofutti and the other box by So Delicious. Ingredients are comparable (a few ingredients in each that I couldn''t pronounce = shady). The Tofutti cuties are 130 calories each and 6 grams of fat. The So Delicious minis are 90 calories each and 2 grams of fat. Both are equally delicious. No question which one I''ll be purchasing in the future!

I don''t usually post here but CJ, I know you''re in Manhattan. What gym do you go to? I wanted to recommend my gym b/c 2 of the yoga teachers there are FANTASTIC and are strictly yogis. Let me know if you''re interested!
35.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome RoseRed! Glad to have you here, and we''ll do whatever we can to help. Let''s get started!

Steph, ohhhhhhhhhh I''m so sorry everyone in your house is sick! You had such a rough night
7.gif
!!! Get some rest, entertain those people for an hour and then go right back to sleep! There''s a stomach virus going around in the northeast and it sounds like you guys have it too.

So maybe I over-worked-out last night. Even though none of the classes were that strenuous, I had trouble sleeping. I just don''t feel like I had a restful sleep. I felt like I needed to keep moving. I woke up slightly sore, but nothing too bad. I had a terrible craving this morning for a bagel with butter, so that''s what I had with my skim cappuccino. But I''m still STARVING! I ate the entire thing and didn''t feel satisfied at all. Maybe it''s because I normally don''t eat that much bread-y stuff, and this bagel was like carbohydrate overkill. It was an everything bagel, not whole wheat.

I''m looking forward to checking out two new classes tonight. There''s a cardio kickboxing class and a Budokon class (which I don''t know anything about!). It seems pretty popular, so I''d like to try it out. Depends on how I feel after kickboxing.

Marcy, I hope your muscles are feeling better. Good luck on the treddy tonight!

Julianna, where did you go?!!

Happy workouts everyone!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2008 11:12:10 AM
Author: scarlet16

I don''t usually post here but CJ, I know you''re in Manhattan. What gym do you go to? I wanted to recommend my gym b/c 2 of the yoga teachers there are FANTASTIC and are strictly yogis. Let me know if you''re interested!
35.gif
Hi scarlet!!!! Thanks for chiming in! Yeah...I''m def up for recommendations. I go to New York Sports Club. You?

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm...I''m at the Gold''s Gym in midtown west. I know one of them teaches at the Jivamukti School in Union Square though (her name is Sahndra, if you go). The other is Rachel, and I''ll see if I can find out where else she teaches.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results