shape
carat
color
clarity

Travelling with an 8 Month Old

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
Hi girls!

I just booked a flight to Florida for the end of February. It will just be me and the LO who will be 8 months at the time. Luckily, we are visiting a friend who has 2 kids and lots of stuff, so I don't have to bring too much. She has a car seat, stroller and crib for me.

Just wondering what everyone else does in the airport. If I don't have to bring a stroller/car seat, would you leave them behind and just use a carrier? My son isn't really great at sleeping in the car seat anyways, so I'm not sure it is worth the hassle to bring them.

Here is what I'm thinking are the pros of each option.

Carrier:

Hands free
Don't have to deal with checking the stroller/seat at the gate (I'm on my own - not sure where I'd even put LO while I was doing all of that stuff...)
Avoids the whole "baby freaking out and needing to be held but you still have to push the empty stroller around" issue.
Easier to get through security solo

Stroller

Better for my back
It is easier to push him around in the stroller while we are waiting to board, etc.
Storage under the stroller for the diaper bag etc.
Wouldn't have to deal with getting a taxi with a car seat for the airport drop off etc.
If there are extra seats on the plane, I've been told I can bring LO in the bucket and he can sit in it (although it is 50/50 whether he'll want to chill in it)

What do you guys think? What have you done in the past when travelling alone? Any tips? Must haves?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Muff, I have flown with N 3 times so far and never have I brought a car seat or stroller along. I find that the carrier works great.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
We have brought the stroller with us when travelling, but never use it at the airport - just use a carrier. It works well :)

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, I should clarify that I have use of a stroller and car seat at my destination; I just don't have them with me at the airport.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Muff, have you considered buying a seat? Also, if you use a carrier you'll have to take him out at security.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Last month when I travelled with K (who was 10 months), I brought the stroller AND our Ergo. I thought I'd need the stroller while in the airport, but it definitely wasn't worth the hassle of taking it through security. I wish I'd left the stroller at home and just took the Ergo.

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
Thanks girls. We are way to cheap to buy a seat for him, especially since he would not want to chill in his car seat for the whole trip anyways.

I think we are going to go with just the carrier. Carrier and diaper bag. I thought maybe I could get away with just a carry on for luggage, but I don't think I can since we'll be gone a full week and I'll have to take the pump etc.

Plus I may want to shop while I'm down there ;-)

Any other tips for travelling with a baby? Can I sedate him? :naughty:

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Muff, I hope you don't mind my threadjack, but we will also be flying with Ev in a few months when he is 6 or 7 months, and we are debating getting him his own seat. We might be able to use some credit card points and get a seat for free, in which case it's a no brainer. But if not, we need to decide soon. Part of me thinks that if there truly is a problem with the plane, a carseat isn't going to make a difference, but I guess it's possible you could just have severe turbulence or something. Sorry, not trying to be morbid or anything, just trying to think it through. Any thoughts?

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
monkeyprincess|1359748059|3369834 said:
Muff, I hope you don't mind my threadjack, but we will also be flying with Ev in a few months when he is 6 or 7 months, and we are debating getting him his own seat. We might be able to use some credit card points and get a seat for free, in which case it's a no brainer. But if not, we need to decide soon. Part of me thinks that if there truly is a problem with the plane, a carseat isn't going to make a difference, but I guess it's possible you could just have severe turbulence or something. Sorry, not trying to be morbid or anything, just trying to think it through. Any thoughts?

Muff, since you've already made up your mind to not purchase a seat please know my response to MP is not a criticism of your choice.

MP, I would never ever fly with a lap child. You're exactly correct that turbulence is the issue, as are hard takeoff and landings. Simple physics prove that in these situations you simply cannot hold your child and they will become a projectile, or in the case of a hard landing your body can be thrown into them. I mean we secure our personal belongings and carryons for heavens sake! Just imagine leaving your own seat belt off the entire flight, I doubt many would do it. Parents spend countless hours researching the best and safest items and practices for their children, but when I think of child safety on a plane I'm left shaking my head. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/columnist/mcgee/2008-07-29-lap-children_N.htm

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite, are you referring to a situation where the lap child is using a seatbelt or not?

Also, every time we've flown with N he's been on our lap.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I would do the carrier. When we flew with DS when he was 6 months old (japan to CA) he did great in his carrier with dad. If he got upset we just walked up and down the aisles with him.

Also depending on what airline they won't let you bring the bucket seat if you didnt' pay for his ticket...even if the seat is empty. :???:

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
To be honest I'd never even thought about that. I guess I assumed they had an attachment for the seatbelt to go around infants (which sounds super dumb now that I type this).

I'm not really sure what to do. I could take the car seat and hope for a spare seat on the plane. If I don't take the car seat, that won't even be an option.

Should I be stressing this much over it? I keep thinking about it. Arg.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We've always taken a car seat and a stroller, and we've taken A on 2 round trips and 1 one-way trip. We always take our umbrella stroller (Maclaren Volo) because even if we don't want it in the airports, we're going to want it at the destination, and it can help with carrying things in the airport. Last trip we went on, we got her a seat, which we didn't use, except for her to sleep and for take off and landing, and that was fine. Unfortunately she refused to stay in it for the entire flight, but considering it was 5 hours straight, not that surprising.

Going through security, you're going to have to take the carrier off anyway so it can go through x-rays.

I'd do a mental walk through of the travelling process by yourself, and then think about doing that with a kid in tow.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kunzite|1359749312|3369867 said:
monkeyprincess|1359748059|3369834 said:

Muff, since you've already made up your mind to not purchase a seat please know my response to MP is not a criticism of your choice.

MP, I would never ever fly with a lap child. You're exactly correct that turbulence is the issue, as are hard takeoff and landings. Simple physics prove that in these situations you simply cannot hold your child and they will become a projectile, or in the case of a hard landing your body can be thrown into them. I mean we secure our personal belongings and carryons for heavens sake! Just imagine leaving your own seat belt off the entire flight, I doubt many would do it. Parents spend countless hours researching the best and safest items and practices for their children, but when I think of child safety on a plane I'm left shaking my head. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/columnist/mcgee/2008-07-29-lap-children_N.htm
DH and I are trying to figure out where we want to visit this summer and LO will be around 6 mos old when we go. We have been discussing whether to buy a seat for LO--when I say "discussing" I mean I have been insisting we must buy a seat, DH thinks it's a waste of money.

The thing that clinched my perspective on this was a thread I read on a baby forum where a flight attendant said people could ask her any questions about flying and she would answer them. She shared that they refer to lap babies as "projectiles" because that is exactly what they become if there is severe turbulence or a rough landing. She says she's seen many infants injured over the years.

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
Now I've been doing some more research and I'm feeling awful about the whole lap-baby thing. The safety aspect didn't cross my mind and now I'm stressed about it.

Arg.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the info, Kunzite. I hadn't gotten around to researching it yet, but that confirms what DH and I were worried about. I guess we better start racking up points on our Southwest card again!

Muff, sorry if my question stressed you out. I was just curious what others have done. I have seen several children being held on planes, and I have to believe that if injuries to children were really common, we would hear more about it and airlines wouldn't allow it. Or if you are really concerned, maybe there is time to get another seat?

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
MP, I used to love my SW card when we actually had time to travel! I don't think we ever paid for flights. Now I've switched to Amazon :naughty:

Muff, I know you'll do what is right for you and your family, whichever that is. We did a few trips with O when he was about 9 months old and what helped the most was manipulating his schedule so that his previous wake up time would put his next nap time right around the time you board the plane. That way he's nice and tired once you get settled and will likely sleep from the white noise and vibrations on the plane. O was always asleep before we pushed back from the gate! We also brought him a bottle/sippy of water to help with the pressure change. He wasn't getting much water at that point so the novelty of it helped keep him entertained too!

Oh and funny story... I carried him through the airport in the BabyHawk. Apparently I wasn't used to wearing him in such close proximity to other people and I kept hitting him into the lady in front of me in the security line!! Oops :oops:

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite, kind of off-topic, but my husband found the perfect credit card for us last year. We get five points for every dollar spent on restaurants or bookstores, and they just so happen to consider Amazon a bookstore. I would say the vast majority of our disposable income goes to restaurants and Amazon, so it's awesome! We haven't been putting much on the Southwest card, so we are going to have to do that again. Tough job, but someone's got to do it :)

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I just took my first trip with baby S and used the baby carrier (K'tan, love that thing!). It worked so well and made travel so easy, until I got on the plane. Once I got on the flight I was required to wake up my peacefully sleeping baby and take her out of the carrier because it was a safety issue. I too have heard about the, baby projectile, and thought having her in the carrier would be the best option for us. The flight attendant told me that if I needed to brace myself it would be safer for the baby if I were holding her in my arms... Right so I wouldn't have any hands free to brace myself and both of us would slam into the seat in front of me. Can anybody give me some insight as to why the flight attendant told me that it was safer for my baby to be out of the carrier?

Edit: sorry for the threadjack :D

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs. W 514|1361249304|3384002 said:
I just took my first trip with baby S and used the baby carrier (K'tan, love that thing!). It worked so well and made travel so easy, until I got on the plane. Once I got on the flight I was required to wake up my peacefully sleeping baby and take her out of the carrier because it was a safety issue. I too have heard about the, baby projectile, and thought having her in the carrier would be the best option for us. The flight attendant told me that if I needed to brace myself it would be safer for the baby if I were holding her in my arms... Right so I wouldn't have any hands free to brace myself and both of us would slam into the seat in front of me. Can anybody give me some insight as to why the flight attendant told me that it was safer for my baby to be out of the carrier?

Edit: sorry for the threadjack :D

Because you're more likely to have a sudden impact during taxi/takeoff/landing and with your baby in a carrier she'll essentially act as your air bag. The FAA thinks that your baby is better off taking her chances as a projectile than an air bag for a grown person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results