shape
carat
color
clarity

Surviving Travel with a Toddler

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Our 5 hr flight is coming up and I'm loaded up on toys, books, snacks and DVD's per everyone's great suggestions! But I have some other questions if anyone has suggestions..

1)DVD player: will it last the whole trip or will I need to recharge on the plane? I can see a tantrum happening if the Dora DVD goes black

2)Food - any tips on how to feed a toddler somewhat healthily when staying in a hotel? Are there any emergency items I can bring in case we don't find a suitable meal for her? This is a case when baby food would have come in handy!

3)If you could only bring one item-would you bring a car seat or stroller? We will have family on the other side who can led us a car seat but not sure we're better off (safer) with our own.

Thanks!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
1) depends on your player. My Sony has a 6 hour battery life
2) will she eat pasta pick-ups? Fruit cups?
3) stroller!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
janine, I don't have any advice on the dvd player but I figured Tacori or someone else would know!

Regarding food, we always try to keep a stash of snacks like cereal bars, goldfish (not the healthiest but you do what you gotta do!), bananas, pretzels, crackers, etc. We'll also stock up the mini bar fridge with milk, cheese sticks, grapes--anything that we know they are used to and will definitely eat. At restaurants, if they don't have a kids menu, I'll try to get them some kind of pasta or chicken. Of course, pizza is always a good "go to" meal as well! It's definitely harder for them when they are out of their comfort zone but children are really adaptable if you make everything into an adventure!

If I had my choice between bringing a stroller or car seat, I would pick stroller, especially if you can borrow a car seat. And I wouldn't bring a bells and whistles stroller either! We just went on vacation (by car) with both girls and instead of bringing the awesome Phil & Teds, we brought the Maclaren for one child and a cheapy $15 stroller from Walmart for the other!

I'm sure everything will be fine. It sounds like you are well prepared. Good luck!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks so much the suggestions curly and tacori! :)

tacori: great tips on pasta pick ups and fruit cups--hadn't thought of that. C loves pasta, so this will be a good emergency item for times i need to feed her and we're not at a restaurant,etc.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
gerber has mac & cheese too I think. Some soups. Yogurt drops (or whatever they are called...those dried yogurt things). Apple sauce.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
janine do you have a link to your older thread about this? We are flying in 3 days with Hunter who is 17 months I am am all afraid! :errrr:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
DD, you will be fine!!! Bring new toys, books, GOOD snacks, dvd player...whatever you need. It is ALL about survival.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll send you all dust if you will send me some in return! I'm flying with Amelia in September on a RED EYE. Ugh. This is where the fact that my kid has only really slept in her crib is going to come back and bite me in the a**!

Hope you all have great flights!

clammer

Shiny_Rock
We live over sea's but typically travel home 2-3 times a year (13 hour flights) and go on 1-2 vacations a year. Next time we come home it will be my son (30 months) and me (35 weeks pregnant). I'm not looking forward to that.

For traveling food we normally have: Dried fruit, homemade granola bars, crackers and the individual packets of peanut butter (not sure how old your child is, but I think you can also get sun butter if your child is still to young for peanuts), trail mix, etc... When you get to the hotel, you can ask them to empty the fridge. We do and then go and stock it up with yogurt, string cheese, milk, etc...

Is there a reason that you can only take either a stroller or car seat? You should be able to check your car seat and have it not count as one of your bags (except they wouldn't when we traveled to Mexico on an Mexican airline) and gate check your stroller.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
DD: I hear you!! We need to compare notes when we both return...actually maybe you're on the flight right now!! I'm scared too..I picked up mini cans of play doh---I think that might be another distraction to throw her way! ;-)

Rebot: no particular reason but I'd rather not be loaded down with car seat and stroller, particularly since DH will not be with me. I like to travel as light as possible so this should be interesting (isn't that the direct opposite of traveling with toddler, hehe). I've decided to go with the stroller (Mac Quest) and check it in at gate. We will borrow a car seat from family once there (they will pick us up). Good idea on peanut butter..DD is almost 2 so I think she can have this now?

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Janine- Good luck!!!!! Let us know how it goes. Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread to get some similar advice.

Thinking about doing a flight with my (almost) toddler solo (no DH).

Here's my dilemma-

Think I have to take the following:

1. Car Seat
2. Stroller
3. Pack n Play

Going to visit a friend and her baby. They don't have a PNP (well they do but it's not available). I am not renting a car but will need a car seat. Need a stroller for walks.

How in the world do I pack/check/carry all of this stuff, plus me and the baby and our bag(s)????

The friend lives overseas and is visiting her parents, which is why they don't have extras, her kiddo is using the extras, if that makes sense.

Help!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
China, before I answer, which carseat do you have?

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
He's actually still in his infant seat, though will probably be buying his bigger car seat soon. But he can totally fit into the infant seat for this trip. Though he's too heavy for me to carry him in it.

Strollers- We have a SNG but he won't stay in the car seat. A BOB. And a really old hand me down Maclaren umbrella stroller.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
China, and you didn't buy him a seat on the plane, correct?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Tacori is the master at this, but I'll give you a few options, assuming you don't have a seat for him on the plane.

Seems the big issue here is that the SnG is worthless to you as a stroller. So even if you bring it, you still need another stroller. The biggest problem if you are doing the entire process by yourself, you have to be able to move everything. If you are able to get a ride at be dropped off at the curb, then I'd rework these options because this makes life a lot easier. If you have to actually move more than a few feet to check in, then this is where the logistical problems surface.

Figuring he can make a short trip through the airport in his carseat, I'd say here are some ideas:

Option A:

Get the BOB carseat adapter. I have no idea how great it works, but I would...

- Put him in the carseat and put the carseat in the BOB. This is what goes through to the plane with you.
- Pack ONE large bag for both of you on wheels. Make sure the bag has a system where you can attach another bag to it and then hang the packnplay there. You can push the BOB in front of you one handed while managing to pull the bag behind you.
- Check in both the carseat and the BOB at the gate. You'll need those plastic bags for both.

Option B:

- Rent a carseat over there
- Bring the light maclaren
- Same scenario for the bag and pack and play.

Option C

- Buy a convertible carseat (since you are going to anyway)
- Buy a GoBabyz http://www.amazon.com/Go-Go-Babyz-QRKID ... LCBG4WU75C
- Put the kid in the carseat and attach to the GoBabyz. This is what you'll use through the airport.
- Bring one bag, light umbrella stroller and pack and play, and load on a luggage cart
- Push the luggage cart with one hand, drag the kid behind in the rolling carseat in the other

Option D
- Bring the light umbrella stroller, carseat, one bag, and pack and play
- load everyhing on the luggage cart except for the kid and the stroller
- Figure out an easy way to push both the cart and the stroller for the short duration needed for check in.

FYI, for our trip to Hawaii, we are using the Marathon carseat, the gogobabyz system, checking in the pack and play and not bothering with a stroller. I'm bringing the ergo if the kid needs to be carried/off her feet for any reason.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
TGAL! I officially love you. This actually sounds manageable with your suggestions.

Yes, as of now I am not buying him a seat, though that could change depending on price.

And we do have the car seat adaptor for the BOB already.

We are going to Laguna to hang with BFF and her toddler, so I'm sure we will be doing lots of walks by the beach. Otherwise I wouldn't bring a stroller, I can still use the Bjorn or Ergo with him and rarely use a stroller right now anyways, unless it's the BOB. One good thing about having a peanut baby, he's not that heavy yet.

Great ideas, thank you thank you thank you!

I'll report back as to what I do so if anyone else has this issue I can let them know what worked.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
CC: we might might be near each other! (we are going to LA).

Anyway, could your friend lend you a stroller? Usually everyone has 2-3. Then you could bring a car seat and snap into GoKidz think like TGAL suggested. I love that concept since it's 2 in one. I will be travelling alone too, and to me the less gear the better!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ChinaCat said:
TGAL! I officially love you. This actually sounds manageable with your suggestions.

Yes, as of now I am not buying him a seat, though that could change depending on price.

And we do have the car seat adaptor for the BOB already.

We are going to Laguna to hang with BFF and her toddler, so I'm sure we will be doing lots of walks by the beach. Otherwise I wouldn't bring a stroller, I can still use the Bjorn or Ergo with him and rarely use a stroller right now anyways, unless it's the BOB. One good thing about having a peanut baby, he's not that heavy yet.

Great ideas, thank you thank you thank you!

I'll report back as to what I do so if anyone else has this issue I can let them know what worked.

Just FYI, no one in the security line is going to love you since you'll have to have them handcheck the stroller/carseat. But screw em, that's their problem.

JuJuBe makes these great little clips that go on your stroller handlebars, so if your diaper bag has D-rings, it can easily attach to those clips. Or you can just bring a backpack/whatever.

If you mean Laguna Beach, CA, then yeah, a BOB will come in very handy.

Oh, and I am assuming you are not bringing the BASE of the carseat...you will figure out how to safely attach it without the base? Because if so, that throws a wrench in what I've posted above.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Janine- Fun for you! I used to live in LA and though it definitely has it's negatives, I loved it and miss it. I haven't booked my trip yet so you get to go first and report back! I will learn from your mistakes. :cheeky: And yes, I am going to ask about borrowing a stroller but she bought some fancy stroller and I believe she only has one. But I could be wrong. I have a ton of friends out there with babies, but they live up in LA, so can't really borrow anything.

TGal- Yep, Laguna Beach as in California. My BFF is preggo and has a 15 month old so I assume lots of walking and will def need a stroller for that. I am not taking the base, and will have DH show me how to buckle it in.

We really won't be doing much driving, prob just to airport and back, maybe a trip to my favorite burrito place. For the most part we will just chill at the house, sit by the pool, go to the beach. Her parents cook every meal and it's my most favorite place to relax. Can't wait, especially has she has never met O and I only met her daughter when she was like a month old.

As for the security line, well, I will just have to brace myself. Luckily I can fly during the week. O is pretty flirtatious, so I am hoping he will bat his pretty blue eyes and coo at people for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results