shape
carat
color
clarity

Silicone bakeware?

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Hello lovely PSers!!! I was wondering if any of you used silicone bakeware? You know the cake tins etc that are flexible and apparently non-stick? I need to get my Mum a BDay pressie and my sis just bought here a new oven. She loves to cook cakes and such, and I thought some new silicone bakeware would be good.

I haven''t heard much about the quality, reliability etc. Do you have any experience with them?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Yes!

I used them to make Daisy's birthday cake a few weeks ago and they were fantastic. I'll definitely buy them instead of normal tins in future. They were just cheapy ones from the supermarket not name brands or anything.

I've been using silicone for a few years as utensils, baking sheets and for rolling out pastry, marzipan etc on and they last forever - plus, no rust, easy to clean and can go in the dishwasher.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I have some, and all I can say is I would advocate springing for the good stuff if it's a gift because not all silicone bakeware is created equal. I have a Cuisinart (or maybe KitchenAid?) round cake pan that is awesome, but I also have a cheapie set that is horrible. I really need to give that set away because it's just taking up precious space, I never use it. So just be aware of what you're getting, maybe look for some reviews of the brand first -- it sounds like Pandora had luck with the cheap kind but I definitely didn't.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have experience with the loaf and cake pans, but I adore the cookie sheet liners (silpats) and spatulas (you can leave them on a hot pan and they won''t melt). I don''t know what I''d do without my silicone spatulas.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw some silicone cup cake cases the other day. I might try them. They were pink
36.gif

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your replies ladies! I will certainly go out and get some today, and I will aim for midrange maybe? Not super cheapies but not the top of the line, depending on the prices.

Pandora - I can''t believe Daisy is 1 already! It seems like only yesterday I saw your post about her birth in the preggo thread! How time flies hey?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had some and gave them away. I don''t like how flexible they are trying to get them out of the oven. And for some reason baking in plastic didn''t appeal to me.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
That''s interesting marcyc, I have read some reviews and that was one thing that popped up. A few people suggested to use a baking tray underneath them to help stabilise them.

I think I will still get Mum a few pieces, not super expensive or anything and see if she likes them. I think it might be a case of you either love them or hate them.

Thanks so much for your feedback guys! I will keep you posted on how she likes them. Now, if I can just convince her to post me some cake, she is a 3.5 hour plane ride away and I really do miss her fabulous cakes!!!!
18.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honey22, I darn near dumped my muffins all over the floor. Of course, I am klutzy! I did try a cookie sheet under mine but thought they didn''t bake evenly then. I know some ladies at work that like them so I hope your mom enjoys them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results