shape
carat
color
clarity

Removing scratches on stainless steel appliances??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
DH was trying to be helpful and did some cleaning in our kitchen. Our gorgeous Sub Zero stainless steel refrigerator and GE Profile stainless microwave now have swirly scratches all over them.
7.gif
I asked DH what he used to clean them and he said "a sponge" but I guarantee it was the green, abrasive kind of sponge although he won''t admit it. I''m not usually anal about this stuff but our kitchen is fairly newly renovated and my eye is only drawn to these scratches now when I walk in. It''s driving me insane and I don''t want to make him feel bad because I know he was just trying to help but I''m just amazed that he was such a bonehead about it! We had purposely bought a special stainless steel cleaner for these appliances so I''m kinda shocked that he didn''t use it. He also scratched up the keypad part of the microwave so that just looks horrible to me too with all the swirls. I''m hoping someone here has some advice for me--I''m nervous about using sandpaper or anything ultra abrasive. Any suggestions??

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about using the green side of the sponge and going over the swirls in the direction of the stailness "grain"? Or (and I'm sure this is going to sound CRAZY) try putting a little oil (something that doesn't have any smell to it) on a paper towel and wiping it over the surface. We once had a mark on our stainless dishwasher because I got a little over zealous trying to scrub something off and the oil trick worked like a charm. Honestly, I would try that before I went at it with the sponge again.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
You read my mind...I was just cleaning my kitchen and saw all of these scratchy-swiorly marks on the stainless part of my new cooktop...I would kinda blow my brains out if the frig had it so I feel for you...I would also like to know what we can do to take them out..I did see a stainless scratch remover at Home Depot but then read that you were basically adding stuff that created it's own little chemical reaction and I got way too nervous....maybe calling in professionals will do the trick? I don't think oil will work for my cook top since it'd be spotless in that case haha :) I think the plastic part might be un-fixable unlike the steel....

But you know, sometimes profs cause more harm than good....thank god my kitchen counter people were stand-up bc when they came to fill a teensy little crack in the brown zodiac, they burned it and cause a ring so they replaced the entire slab on the island...point being, you have to make sure they give you a guarantee...expecially when dealing with a pricey sub-zero/// PS....which microwave do you have? I got the Advantium Micro/Oven one built in over the regular oven and am seriously in love with it....

pps- I didn't realize that those green sponges could cause that kind of damage...so I'm sure I caused mine since that's what I use...oops.

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
curlygirl,

I'm sorry to hear about that...it would make me crazy as well. When we were building our house, one of the doors of our new Subzero was seriously scratched right after it was installed. We think the other kitchen installers did the damage but couldn't tell which one. The kitchen contractor ordered a new door and replaced it. However, if that hadn't been an option, "refinishing" might have been the next one.

You probably DON'T want to use the same green scratching sponge as the scratches may not be fine enough to result in a clean-looking finish. Check with Subzero to see if they have a suggestion or can refer you to a refinisher. I suspect that you or the contractor will want to use a finer abrasive to polish out the surfaces. Here's a link to some suggested solutions.

http://www.finishing.com/4000-4199/4148.shtml

I hope this helps and good luck with the restoration.

I also found this link that may be helpful for future cleanings:

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/scotchbrite/products/kitchensurface/SSProduct.html?WT.mc_id=ss_go01&WT.srch=1

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
DeeJay, I used this Zep stuff that we had gotten at Home Depot--it''s basically an oil type of cleaner. It didn''t work.
8.gif
I read about trying WD-40! I may give it a shot. I''m totally scared of the green sponge!

mmm, doesn''t it SUCK?!?! All I can see are these darn scratches now. I may have to call someone in at some point. My biggest concern is that we''re probably going to sell our place within the next year so I''d like to keep it as "perfect" as possible. As a prospective buyer, those scratches would probably annoy me!!! We have the built in Spacemaker microwave. I do love it!

AGSHF, thanks for the links! I found that Finishing forum as well. They recommended a few things (including the WD-40 and the Scotch Brite) so I might give something a shot. If I can''t find something "topical" to help, I guess I''ll call for reinforcements. Thanks for the tips!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I keep the overhead lights off so I can''t see the scratches so much LOL...

As for buyer, they will NEVER notice them. When you''re in a new house looking around you''re in overload mode and will never notice small stuff like that...and I notice everything...but that woudn''t bother me....I probably wouldn''t notice it....

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My contractor said to use very fine steal wool and match the direction of the grain. If you are too worried about attacking it yourself call the manufacturer and they may be able to send over a repair man who can polish the surface. I am sure this sort of thing happens all the time.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
sorry about your scratches. that would drive me nuts also.

how about fingerprints on the fridge? what should i use to get those off?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I got an amazing stainless cleaner at Home Depot..it''s in a blue tub...at first I was like what is this stuff...the towlette comes out with goop on it...and you really have to keep rubbing until it "absorbs" but it''s the best clean I ever had...NO streaks and really does an amazing job at keeping the fingerprints off....When I''m not too lazy to go downstairs I''ll give you the name :)

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Hey you guys, over in Hangout, Mobious (who has appliance expertise) started a thread to answer our appliance questions! She is very knowledgable and I bet she would have some good advice for you. I think if you post your question over there in that thread, she''ll see it sooner.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-knowledge-on-appliances-if-you-need-it.94519/

Meanwhile, if it were me with the scratches on the new stainless appliances, I probably be perched on the ledge ready to jump (or push DH!!!)
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
, so I can definitely feel your pain! And since we are planning a kitchen remodel shortly, and I''m probably going with stainless appliances, I will be watching the other thread for Mobious''s advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results