shape
carat
color
clarity

Quitting my first ''real'' post-college job tomorrow. TERRIFIED.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
I''m resigning from my current position tomorrow so that I can take a job in SO''s city -- finally, no more 3 hour drives back and forth!

However, this is my first real job after having graduated from university. So I don''t have a ton of experience with this sort of thing and I''m very, very nervous. I''m writing up a brief, polite resignation letter to accompany my verbal notice.

Any tips to make it go more smoothly?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank them for everything they have taught you and let them know that this is a decision that doesn''t reflect on their company, just that your personal life is bringing you to another city. There should be no problem as long as you are polite and make sure to give the appropriate amount of notice.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
No, but I am in the same position.

I leave in early August and I still haven''t figured out if I just go to my managers desk or what.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Start with your manager and then go to HR. Keep it positive! Congrats!

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Give the notice in person to your supervisor, don''t just leave it on their desk. Sounds silly but some people actually do that and it''s really not the best way to go even if you are a very shy person.

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
I did it! It went ok. My boss was REALLY nice about it. I''m in a government position and he even offered to help me find placement doing the same thing in the new city (but I''m ok, already have that lined up). He seemed really surprised and mildly horrified, given that someone else just left our team too. But my work''s totally on the up and up so I''m not leaving them high and dry or anything, at least. I still feel kinda bad/guilty. Maybe I''ll feel more relieved this weekend.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I think that''s a big "first" in life, when you can actually decide to leave an employment on good terms. You will probably miss the people and security but having a positive attitude as you move forward will help you through it.

Congratulations on being closer to SO too!

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 8:27:10 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Congrats! I think that''s a big ''first'' in life, when you can actually decide to leave an employment on good terms. You will probably miss the people and security but having a positive attitude as you move forward will help you through it.

Congratulations on being closer to SO too!
Thanks!! We are super excited. It''s been a year of 3 hr drives back and forth.

chizzy1982

Shiny_Rock
Congrats Absolut Blonde!! Know exactly how you felt. I resigned yesterday for the first ever time and was petrified! Had to re-write my letter about 4 times!! Have been at the same NHS trust for 4 years since qualifying in 2004 so its kinda scary moving on but also exciting.

Best of luck with your new job and enjoy being MUCH closer to your SO!!

L

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others. Be polite and respectful and thank them for the opportunity. Explain you are leaving not because of the position but because of circumstance/distance.

I was at my first post college job for a year and was so scared to leave and my second job turned into a great career that I loved and thrived at. I''m a stay at home mom not but I remember leaving my first job on great terms and grateful for the experience. It sounds like you are going to handle it great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results