shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m going to quit smoking...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have been a smoker for a few years, even since I was about 20 (I am now 24, almost 25). I am a moderate smoker, less than a pack a day, but more than 10 cigarettes per day on average. I have made the decision to quit smoking for numerous reasons, but mostly because I am ready to start trying to concieve a baby again after 2 miscarriages. The heartbreak I''ve felt from those two miscarriages (both right on top of each other) made me *not* want to get preggers again, but given the time that has past, I feel ready to explore different avenues of conception, and I need to be healthy in order to do so!

So, the point of this post is...Thursday will be my first day smoke-free (hopefully). I have already bought the patch, and I am wondering if any of you kind ladies have quit using this method. And if so, how did it work out for you? I want to prepare myself for challanges so I can navigate them without back sliding.

I am trying this first, since its the easiest way to hopefully achieve my goal...but I am willing to do anything to break free of this addiction. So please, share with me any and all experiences you may have had...I''d love to know!

Thanks in advance,
Ashley.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think that''s awesome!

I''ve never smoked, but my husband just quit in May at age 28 after 8 or 9 years of smoking. His level of smoking was very similar to yours--around 10 a day. His motivation was wanting to get in shape. We bought him a nice road bike, and he spent a lot of time riding it (and realizing that if he were smoking, he wouldn''t be riding as well).

Some advice a friend gave him was to follow the recommended time frame for going down on the levels of your patch. Apparently the friend thought, "Oh, my cravings are almost zero, I can go down a level" before the instructions recommended to do so and he then had a really hard time with it.

I think the patch gave my husband weird dreams but really did help with the cravings.

My husband says that the hardest part isn''t the physical addiction--you kick that after, what, two weeks?--but your social patterns and the association of smoking with breaks at work or stress-release. If you have friends you smoke with, you may need to be very upfront about needing them not to smoke in front of you if you find that''s difficult for you. It might be helpful to start chewing gum to have something to do with your mouth for five minutes when you need a break or distraction.

I really think what you''re doing is awesome and wish you the best of luck!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Wow, good for you, Italia! I''m not a smoker, but I''ve always heard how difficult it can be to stop. I think it''s great that you''re making the necessary efforts to do something healthy for you - especially in light of your previous miscarriages. That must have been a difficult time for you. I did read somewhere that smoking increases miscarriage risk, so anything you can do to decrease that risk would be good.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much Phoenix and Sha I really appreciate your stories and kind words.

Sha, yes, the miscarriages were extremely difficult for me. I was smoking both times I found out...and turned to my doctor for the advice about what to do. He suggested weening myself off, since abruptly changing something as *big* as smoking could throw my body into havoc and I could loose the baby...well, turns out that happened anyway
7.gif

So now that we''re going down a path towards hopefully have success and babies...I am going to stop before I start this new chapter of my life. I''d do anything to be a Mom, and this is the sceem of this is such a small "give" to have a beautiful, healthy, happy child...It''s an absolute no brainer for me.

I like the suggestion about getting a bike, Phoenix since I''m afraid I''ll gain weight as a result of hormones together with not smoking. I''ll be sure to go get one this week.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Good for you! Its the best possible thing you can do for your own health and the health of your future child - very few things are more physically harmful to a developing fetus and young baby/child than having a parent or parents who smoke.

I think the idea of getting a bike or finding some other form of exercise to help out with the potential weight gain is a fantastic idea. Also, if you are really concerned, maybe start weighing yourself more frequently than you normally would (once a week if you rarely do it now) so you can catch weight gain early and make changes to your diet and exercise regime as necessary.

Exercise will also help boost your mood, reduce anxiety, and remind you why you''re not smoking
1.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine at work recently quit smoking and she used the patch and carrot sticks. She said whenever she felt like she had to have something in her mouth, she''d take a carrot outside and eat it. It looked silly to begin with, but it really helped her to be in the area where her habit was the strongest (outside). She''s not touched a cigarette in 2008 and she still brings carrots to work each day, just in case. She doesn''t eat them outside anymore though.
9.gif

She said chewing gum helps a lot, too. She had been smoking since she was 21 and quit after about 11 years.

Congratulations, and keep strong!!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
i''m not a smoker, so can''t offer any tips.

just wanted to chime in and wish you the best of luck! you''re doing a good thing!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the words of support everyone, I'm actually really nervous to quit since smoking is a comfort for me...and your support words and great suggestions are motivating, so again, thank you.

As a general rule, I don't weigh myself...I find that I prefer to messure my weight on how my clothes are fitting, how I feel...I hate scales!! But, it is a really good suggestion for some one who wants to quit and manage their weight.

I think I am going to try to carrot stick thing. I probably will eat them outside, since I smoke outside...and if it works, I dont mind looking like a fool. Thank you so much, that is an amazing suggestion!

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
Best of luck to you!! I quit in 3 days on sheer willpower b/c I got pg and didn''t want to have another m/c either. I''ve quit with all 3 of my boys and never before, but I certainly think you are doing the right thing! Just remember that you are preparing your body to be responsible for someone else''s life and that will at least help you onthe mental side of things... i don''t have any advice re: the patch etc b/c I never tried. I''m wishing you all the luck in the world!
jen

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I quit smoking 4 years ago. It started off as a social thing and ended in a pack and a half a day habit.

It was definitely not easy. I used the patch, but didn''t wean myself as advised. I was pretty reclusive for the 1st month after I quit. I had great incentive, my then boyfriend, now husband, made me a deal that if I quit for 6 months he''d take me to Hawaii.

I suggest you reward yourself along the way (manicures, pedicures, massages, a new bag, etc.). I used that system to lose a significant amount of weight and it kept me motivated.

It''s definitely not easy, but worth it. I''d go so far as to say it''s necessary if you plan to become pregnant and raise a child in a healthy home.

Best of luck to you. If you need support there are several former smokers on PS who would be more than happy to hold your hand.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck, Italia! My FF used to smoke at the beginning of or relationship, but he had to choose between me or the cigarettes (I have asthma, and being around cigarette smoke makes me ill). He was able to quit cold turkey, but did say that the hardest part was the social aspect.

Again, best of luck!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I am very sorry for your losses.

Regarding quitting smoking; I am an ex-smoker so I can relate to that.

I got hypnosis about 5/6 years ago and have never wanted another ciggie so I would recommend that.

My two top tips are:
1.Stay away from your usual break time routines; find new ones as the old one''s probably involved situations you could smoke.

2.Take deep breaths. No wonder we are relaxed by smoking; it is deep breathing + nicotine. Get outide and deeply breath 10 times or so. It is what you would do if you were smoking and it is so wonderfully relaxing.

Best of luck!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I quit smoking 15 years ago. I smoked about 10 a day like you. What I did was: first I cut down two at a time (each week) to 2 a day. Then from 2 I just stopped. The patch keeps you hooked on nicotine longer, but if you need it, you need it. Just be careful that you're not putting MORE nicotine into your system with the patch than you had been with the cigarettes. 15 years ago, that was the case with the nicotine gum, given how little I was smoking, so I would have been making myself more, rather than less addicted. Hopefully they've adjusted that by now, but worth checking, just in case.

Once I stopped, I did as others have said: kept busy during normal 'smoking' times, kept away from dance clubs and other places where I was accustomed to smoking... because I was already at 2 a day, this wasn't hard. I chewed gum when I had a craving.

It was easier after 1 week. WAY easier after 4. And then the benefits kick in... you feel healthier, and more energetic. The first time I got a smoke-free cold clinched it. It was soooo nice not to be so horrendously sick and congested.

That is interesting that your doctor told you to keep smoking while you were pregnant. I'd never heard that before! Makes sense I guess. I'm going to read up on that.

Good luck. Keep us posted. And it is soooooo worth it. Good for you!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Another idea: get a buddy who has already quit smoking. Like when people an AA have a sponsor they can call when they want to drink. Then, when you crave a cigarette, you can call this person and they will remind you of all the reasons why you want to quit. That could help a lot!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never been a smoker, but I wanted to come on your thread and cheer you on! I imagine quitting is a difficult thing to do, and I''m so proud of you for making this decision.

We''re here for you if you need support!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
My FI smokes and has tried to quit in the past. I will tell you what little I can to help you.
The patch gave him nightmares and where he put it on itched all the time so he had a hard time with it.

He is about to try and quit again and we learned a very valuable piece of information from his aunt who recently quit. Cigarettes provide glucose into your system and they help your body absorb it. So not only are you suffering from nicotine withdrawl, you are also suffering from blood sugar problems which I can say from my experience can be really terrible. She said she started drinking a lot of natural fruit juice and eating penutbutter as a snack to keep her blood sugar steady which made it much easier for her.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I am totally pumped to quit and have decided to buy myself a new car as a reward once I am smoke free! New life, new car! I think it makes sense, plus I''ll want to get rid of my old one -- I smoked in it, and although *no one* ever tells me they can smell smoke, I''m making the change.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you!!! That is great.

My mother had smoked for 40+ years and just quit last year (at the age of 71 -- better late than never
2.gif
) by using Chantix. She had tried on her own before, but Chantix really helped her. Just wanted to throw that idea out there as well. I know of others who have quit using Chantix as well ... unfortunately did not work for my brother (he had some of the side effects and had to stop taking it), but I''m not sure how ''dedicated'' to quitting he really was.

And, yes, the reward of a car is a great thing to look forward to! Good luck!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there IHC! Congrats on quitting.

DH and I quit smoking in July of last year.

He smoked way more than I did. I was a 1/2 pack a day at most...I am a HUGE fan of the patch.

I used the patch and I am SOOOO glad I did. I used the lowest dose they had and I only used it for about a week or two. I found it to be very helpful because I knew I wasn''t supposed to smoke with it on. I knew I''d have to take the patch off and wait an hour before I could have a cigarette. It worked as more of a deterrent for me...as opposed to taking care of my nicotine fix (although I''m sure it did that too). But in order to smoke, I had to very consciously decide that I was going to give up quitting.

We also had nicotine lozenges. We used them after dinner or other times when the desire to smoke was really strong.

Anyway...just remember that you CAN DO IT! and the first two weeks totally suck. But it will get better.

We are seven months in - and occasionally I''ll still sort of want a cigarette, but it is a hazy, sort of vague want...and it passes quickly.

Totally my two cents.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you!! I'm really proud of you for wanting to quit smoking.

My DH gave up smoking about 11 years ago after having been a smoker for about 20 years. When I met him, he smoked up to 1 packet a day. I'd always been pretty anti-smoking for several reasons so I asked him to quit. He chose to do so on our first 2-week vacation together. He was away from work, not having to stress about anything. The nice relaxing environment on holiday definitely helped. After that though, he did indulge in the occasional cigarette or two (mostly when he went away on a business trip and when he came back, I could smell it on his breath when he was sleeping). So I told him I was "onto" him, LOL! He eventually gave it up totally and he looks and says he feels 1000% better. He's now a triathlete!
36.gif

Best of luck with quitting. Best of luck also with conceiving. Sending good PS vibes your way.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2008 8:08:02 PM
Author: KimberlyH
I quit smoking 4 years ago. It started off as a social thing and ended in a pack and a half a day habit.

It was definitely not easy. I used the patch, but didn't wean myself as advised. I was pretty reclusive for the 1st month after I quit. I had great incentive, my then boyfriend, now husband, made me a deal that if I quit for 6 months he'd take me to Hawaii.

I suggest you reward yourself along the way (manicures, pedicures, massages, a new bag, etc.). I used that system to lose a significant amount of weight and it kept me motivated.

It's definitely not easy, but worth it. I'd go so far as to say it's necessary if you plan to become pregnant and raise a child in a healthy home.

Best of luck to you. If you need support there are several former smokers on PS who would be more than happy to hold your hand.
Indeed, there are a few of us who have been successful! It sounds like you are ready to quit which is the main thing I think, to be mentally ready. I used the gum and will be smoke free for 2 years this July, I had smoked for 20 odd years, and I feel so much better for it. We are here to support you.
35.gif

I just wanted to add that I didn't gain any weight at all and in fact continued to lose it, so if you eat carefully and workout when you can, gaining weight isn't inevitable! That was always my huge fear, but thankfully it was unfounded as I was careful with food.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A year ago quit this very month. I had a ton of support from this forum..(WWT). Best of luck to you, Italia!
36.gif
Of course you can do it.
36.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: still have cravings as I live with a smoker (DH)...it is hard but has been sooo rewarding to just free myself of the habit. I still have terrible cravings but know that my health is more important. I''m proud of you!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
:) YAY good to hear :) Italia, with a little determination you will succeed :) Very sorry to hear about your losses never an easy thing.

My BF and I quit smoking I think it was 6 years ago after about 5 years of smoking and we have never looked back :)

We did not use patches we used Zyban (I 100million percent recommend against this) after 5 days into a 3 mth course I went cold turkey because I was getting ill thankfully I was not as bad as other stories I had heard and he felt like he was going spacey and claustrophobic. I figured I never wanted to put my body through that again and I made sure he never smoked either again. I did not gain any weight either nor did he :).

My dad was a pack or more smoker a day he smoked camel one day he heard on the news about a guy quiting smoking by substituting the cravings for cold water so he tried and 30 years later he is a non smoker. Still loves cold water though :)

The hardest thing is doing something with your hands you tend to miss it for a bit so a substitution with something healthy can work well :) ~ Carrot sticks rock for this I have even heard of people pretending to smoke them :)

The first step and the first 24 hours are the hardest (you have already done one of them YAY :D) and after a week you will no longer have tobacco in your blood stream.

Also just wanted to add my support.

Best wishes :):):):)

matildawong

Shiny_Rock
Hi Italia,

Just wanted to add my support! I used to smoke too, so I totally understand the struggle. I had quit drinking so the smoking went from 10 a day and skyrocketed up (No way I was gonna quit both at the same time, for sanity''s sake!) but eventually the smoking got old/gross/etc. My dr. happened to put me on Wellbutrin around that time (obv. for other reasons) and mentioned maybe it would help me quit smoking. (It has similarity to Zyban, if I recall correctly.)
Anyway, it totally gave me the boost I needed.

best of luck to you! come in here and vent if you need to!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Chantix worked for me.
The only problem is I thought I was ''cured'' and stopped taking the pills (once daily) and I started up again.
The second time I finished the pack and now I''m free.

It''s funny though, sometimes I''ll get in the car, open a stick of gum and roll down the window
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just remembered that a friend of mine quit smoking in college by seeing a hypnotist. I thought she was crazy, but she still hasn''t starting smoking again nearly six years later.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say good luck!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any advice, I just wanted to say good for you and good luck!

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
My FI quit smoking a few years ago and used the patch. Some advice on the patch, don''t wear it while you are sleeping (that is when FI had the nightmares) and switch the arm you put it on so that the area doesn''t get irritated. The patch worked for him and he hasn''t smoked since! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results