shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Family Dogs

paris29

Shiny_Rock
My fiance and I are thinking of getting a dog. We plan on having kids in the near future. What breed of dog is a good family dog.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would probably have the kid first and then introduce a dog later.

Not just for jealousy issues but pregnancy and the first year can be exhausting and I wouldn't necessarily have wanted the added worry/responsibility of an animal that needed walking x times a day etc.

Breedwise - Golden Retrievers, labradors, labradoodles seem to be very popular in the UK. One of my favourite dogs when I was growing up was a Pointer - Greyhounds are also great (and super lazy).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora said:

Not just for jealousy issues but pregnancy and the first year can be exhausting and I wouldn't necessarily have wanted the added worry/responsibility of an animal that needed walking x times a day etc.

Breedwise - Golden Retrievers, labradors, labradoodles seem to be very popular in the UK. One of my favourite dogs when I was growing up was a Pointer - Greyhounds are also great (and super lazy).

Are you and your fiancé familiar with dogs? Have you had dogs before? You should know what you are getting into and that the dog, in himself, is a commitment. From that point of view, although it may be better to get the dog after you have had children, you should realize that the dog is a living being that will have needs, not a thing. (If it is bought by people who do not particularly care for dogs, then they have children, it and its needs can easily be pushed aside. Or, even worse, the dog can be looked at as a nuisance once the burden of children arrive.)

We are planning on getting a Newfoundland. Apparently they are very good with children, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who doesn't know the breed and particularly want it since it carries some strong negatives (size and grroming issues) with it. I have had a spaniel, a Golden Retriever, and a Lab that were good with children. The Lab had some hyper tendencies (some do, some don't). Some Labs are like logs. They just lie around and will hardly move; others run in circles. You need to use a breeder to know what you are getting with a Lab. Mine was smart as a whip and had to stick his nose into everything. My Golden, on the other hand, was bright, but was a mellow angel of a dog. I think those dogs were made in heaven!

Good luck!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
It took me years to find a breed that worked for me! I am a pretty inconsistent novice dog owner and any dominance in a breed would come out with me raising them. I had a miniature dachsund and it was a nightmare. She looked so sweet, but she didn't respect me and became nippy and growled at my toddler/child. I gave her to my uncle and she did fine with him, but he's bossy and dominant and the dog calmed right down. A dog becomes an issue when you make them feel insecure and they feel they have to take over. You need a SUBMISSIVE, obedient breed. No German Shephards, Rotties, NO Terriers, not even Yorkies! Terriers (ALL of them were bred to be fierce ratters, they can be spiteful and poop on your couch, then suddenly they're not so cute) :o

I did a LOT of research and ended up with a Japanese Chin and a Papillon. I can be as slack as I want, but they will never challenge me or any children they meet. Now, they are small dogs, so they are too delicate for small children. Luckily, they have a "cousin" breed, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. All three of these breeds are actually in the Spaniel family, just developed in different parts of the world. The Cavalier is adorable and cute, they are not the brightest, but they are sweet, relaxed and I have never met a hyper Cavalier. Also, they are a medium size dog, which is better for kids and WAY better for pooper scooping. You also want a dog that doesn't need a lot of exercise, if you're up all night with the baby, walking the dog for an hour to keep him from being hyper, is not a fun idea. Cavaliers have low exercise requirements. Two 15 minute walks is plenty. American Cocker Spaniels are over bred because they were so popular at one point. A good honest breeder will tell you they are now bitey and hard to housebreak. Cavaliers do have heart problems, be sure to ask about mitral valve disease. Some will have it with no symptoms, some will have difficulty when they are older.

For older kids (over 10, so they don't get dropped) a Japanese Chin is fabulous. They are relaxed, easy going, cheerful and cute as a button. They're small but NOT BARKY (this is a miracle for a small dog). They can deal with it when you are gone all day, they are friendly to a fault and should be kept away from big dogs because they want to kiss everyone. Big dogs tend not to like being licked on the eyeball! They have a personality similar to cats, so they're not clingy (but love cuddles and kisses) and like to be up on the back of the couch. Also they can jump really high like a cat. They get along fine with cats, kids, other dogs in the household. Don't expect to teach them any tricks, though. No health issues, but they do get overheated and should not be walked for more than a 1/2 hour at a stretch. Five minutes is good, then back to the couch.

Papillons are great, VERY smart, velcro dogs that will follow you everywhere and will develop a big vocabulary. They tend to shy away from kids, though, if the kids are grabby and scary. They will bark. They are bored easily and will pine (bark) when you are gone. They are not as delicate as they look, and are actually a big dog in a small body. I looked down at mine once, when we were in the back yard, and she had half a snake sticking out of her mouth! So no, not delicate, they are "real" dogs. They have deep respect for their masters, though and will spend their lives looking at you and asking "what can I do for you?". Can be trained to do a trick after a few reps.

if you want a big dog (big dog = big poops, though!) a well-bred golden is very good. You need to get her through the puppy stage before the kids, though. They have a lot of energy when young and need a couple hours of walking a day. They also chew when bored, so chewies are a must, especially if you are gone all day. Also, plenty of hair all over. The breed does have knee problems though, so ask about that, if the parents are around look for a limp or funny hop when running. If you see it leave, unless you are RICH!

I suggest you try petfinder.com. It's searchable by breed and location, so that you can find rescue dogs of any type/size/breed. Goldens are often tossed away because of chewing and size, and some ARE dominant. To check, here's a tip: never pick a dog that looks you straight in the eye when you first meet them. That is a dominant dog. A more submissive dog may look at you, but will not hold your gaze, he'll look away quickly. If picking from a batch of puppies, the first one that comes over and licks you will be more dominant. You want one that hangs back a little, then approaches cautiously but optimistically. The one that hangs back in the corner is too scared and may become bitey as they get older. Take your time! ALL puppies are cute, but 10 minutes later, it's grown up and it better be a breed you can handle.

For example, I had some friends that got an adorable Shar Pei puppy. Years later, it suffered so much separation anxiety, it chewed through a DOOR :errrr: and eventually they had it put down. Not a good end to a cute puppy story. I have also seen many labs tossed aside because people couldn't give the puppies 2-3 hours of exercise a day and then it was all chewed furniture and torn cushions.

Females are usually easier in all breeds. :halo:

SO, this is what you need to take into account if you are an "amateur" dog owner like me:

Dominant/Submissive - the most important. They might respect you, but what about a toddler?

Exercise Requirements- most people screw this up, and then you have behavior issues.

Personality - aloof? cuddle bugs? boring (bassett hounds)?

How will the dog act when I am out?

Health i$$ues- got ca$h?

Barking- neighbors? Apartment, condo?

Pooping- every single day, for several years, this will be an issue

Breed- any dog outside of the Toy Group (see AKC website) requires exercise (Hound Group, Working Group, RETRIEVER, etc., take a clue from the name)

Hair- actually a HUGE issue once you have a baby. Imagine a baby crawling through a hair pile. ICK! :rolleyes:

Grooming- I have enough trouble making a hair appointment for myself, much less my dog!

Portability (you will want to travel at some point, fitting under the airline seat is mighty convenient)

So yes, that is a summary of my MANY months of research. Google "Breed Name" Characteristics, or Rescue, most breed groups are honest about their dogs but look out for code words like "protective" (bitey, barkey). Check out Petfinder.com.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and he’s great with children but he’s BIG so many children (and adults) are afraid of him. I think whether or not a dog is good with children has to do with you and how you train and condition your dog and has less to do with the breed of dog itself.

Whether or not to get a dog before or after children is a tough decision. Our dog was 2.5 when our DS was born. Generally speaking, I’m not a fan of puppies with toddlers or small children so I think dog first is better BUT it’s REALLY hard having a baby and a dog if you’re doing it *right*. By *right* I mean continuing to give your dog the proper exercise and care even though you don’t have a minute to spare!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Pandora said:

Ditto. Assuming you want to have a kid in the near future, getting the dog second will be far easier. Even the most kid friendly breed can be thrown completely off by having a new baby around - you never know what's going to happen and if you're new to dogs, you may not have the training skills to deal with it. Plus, it can be extremely difficult to have time for both dog and baby in the early months.

Once you have a kid, one of the easiest things can be going to a shelter and meeting all of the kid friendly adult dogs there. There are plenty of dog breeds known for being kid friendly, but in my opinion, if you're a new dog owner, getting an already adult dog (or older puppy) with a fully formed personality who has decided that kids are alright is the best option. Puppies are an extreme amount of work and there's no assurance that it will grow up to like kids. We got two puppies when I was 6 and neither ever liked kids - they liked me, especially as I got older, but did not like children in general - you can't guarantee that growing up with kids will = liking kids.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
As a new mother with a dog (we have a chow chow), DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! Wait until you have kids and you're past the early phase. It's so exhausting with a dog right now and sadly sometimes his needs do need to be put on hold momentarily. For example, I have to get LO ready to go outside before taking the dog for a walk, if I'm taking care of the baby when it's D.O.G.'s dinner time, he waits (like 10 minutes, not long). And I wont lie, he gets scolded more for doing things like barking at people walking by the house and harassing the cats. These are minor things, but to a dog who lives for social interaction and the approval of his family, it's hard on him.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HH, I've been meaning to ask how your dog is doing now. It's so stinking hard having the dog and an infant. Hollis does often find himself eating a little later than usual. And yes, getting the hairy eyeball from us if he dares to bark! We have managed to continue his 1.5-2 hours walking per day but man is it exhausting! We have to put his nail clipping, heartworm and flea and tick on our Google calendar alerts so we don't forget too. He does get lots of cuddles though because DH and I both crash on the couch around 9 and our big boy comes to join us. It's SO nice...first me cuddle the baby to sleep then we cuddle the doggie! :love:

Thinking back to the puppy stage though, I would never want to go through that with little kids around. They're so nippy and easily excited. I guess there's never a perfect time but, if you're committed and now what you're getting into, you'll be okay.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a greyhound and a beagle mix. The beagle mix definitely requires more work than the greyhound. We have a fenced yard, so most of their exercise comes in the form of play time outside. DH plays with the beagle mix outside to help her expend excess energy. They make up their own little games -- it is really supercute! Anyway, the greyhound will do what we greyhound people call "zoomies" in the yard. He will do loops around the yard super-fast, then stop, pant for a while and then he really sleeps for the remainder of the day -- very cat-like in terms of napping. Of course, he loves his walks too. He will go hiking with us and the beagle-mix too, but then he is spent for like 2 days. Greyhounds are super-sweet dogs and can be great with kids, but just like any other breed of dog, they will need to be supervised with children, and the children need to be taught not to approach the dog's space as well, especially when he's sleeping.

I'm hoping my situation won't change much when our little one arrives. The greyhound is fairly self-sufficient in terms of exercise, and my husband will take care of Lucy's energy needs. In the spring, I am hoping to be able to walk them both with the baby. If we did not have the fenced yard and the current routine, I would think it would be much more difficult with a little one.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Shetland Sheepdog, aka Sheltie, is an excellent family dog. They're fairly small sized 15-25 lbs, have a very even and patient personaltiy and are SMART. I was given my Sheltie at age 6 and I was always able to walk her by myself, even off leash (which I would get yelled at for by my parents :cheeky: ). She was with me for 14 years and I turned to her a lot when my parents were still together (my mom is not a nice person). They're difficult to find in my area, but well worth it!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
If I had to give three recommendations, they would be:

1. Choose a dog that's right for your schedule and your life, taking into account you want kids down the road. This includes lots and lots o' research. We spent over 2 years researching before bringing home our first. Many breeds are great with families, I would just steer clear of terriers or breeds that notoriously bond with only one person (e.g. shepards)

2. Give yourself time to get OUT of he puppy stage. The first six months are all training--crate training, obedience training, etc.--and it's not so bad. It's the 8 month - 16 month stage that kicks your dupah. You start thinking "Who is this dog and what happened to all the training?!" You'll be going to many an obedience class after the 6 month mark! Finally, around 2 years, you reach the stage where you feel sane again and your dog actually listens to you.

3. Make GOOD friends with your dog walker before you even get pregnant! Even if you are going to be a SAHM, you NEED somebody to take your dog for the exercise he deserves when it's too cold or rainy to bring baby along.

I have 2 Newfoundlands and love them beyond words. Our youngest newf will be 2 in December and our plan since we got married was to start trying when our youngest was 2. I want a third so badly that I have to practically slap myself to keep myself from emailing my favorite breeders. I know I can totally handle three newfies and a baby, though. Totally...

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
We have a Shih Tzu that is amazing with our 3 kids! Our neighbors have a black lab that is great with kids as well.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I recommend either waiting until you've had a baby, or if it is going to be a long time before you have a baby, go ahead and get a dog now. My recommends are:

Labs- This is my first choice. They are the most tolerant, docile, easy going dogs ever. They are incredibly smart, and have a low scare threshold as well. They are protective without being aggressive. They are also great babysitters. Our black lab is currently playing momma to the kitten, and she can differentiate between our cats and other cats, and will chase other cats away. They love kids, and love to play, but are also very very careful.
Yorkies - They are super smart, and very people oriented. They are tolerant of nearly everything. Mine will put up with ANYTHING and LOVES to be around anyone, any size, any time. She has never snapped or snarled. She growls to talk (little whiny growls) and that's it ever.
(I'm sure I'll get yelled at for this) American bulldogs or Pittbull - If you find a dog whose parentage is known and who you raise yourself they make AMAZING family dogs. My friend's bully lets her grandson climb all over him. Recent SO's sister and him were raised with a pitt bull female and she was like a mother to them. Again though I'd find a reputable breeder with dogs you can see and be around to make sure the temperament is what you'd want.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
I recommend either waiting until you've had a baby, or if it is going to be a long time before you have a baby, go ahead and get a dog now. My recommends are:

Labs- This is my first choice. They are the most tolerant, docile, easy going dogs ever. They are incredibly smart, and have a low scare threshold as well. They are protective without being aggressive. They are also great babysitters. Our black lab is currently playing momma to the kitten, and she can differentiate between our cats and other cats, and will chase other cats away. They love kids, and love to play, but are also very very careful.
Yorkies - They are super smart, and very people oriented. They are tolerant of nearly everything. Mine will put up with ANYTHING and LOVES to be around anyone, any size, any time. She has never snapped or snarled. She growls to talk (little whiny growls) and that's it ever.
(I'm sure I'll get yelled at for this) American bulldogs or Pittbull - If you find a dog whose parentage is known and who you raise yourself they make AMAZING family dogs. My friend's bully lets her grandson climb all over him. Recent SO's sister and him were raised with a pitt bull female and she was like a mother to them. Again though I'd find a reputable breeder with dogs you can see and be around to make sure the temperament is what you'd want.

Personally, I agree with you that pitts and bully breeds make excellent family pets and are typically fantastic with kids. I think the bigger issue, at least for me, is that many are innately dog aggressive and that is a very hard trait to train out for the inexperienced person (hopefully going through a great breeder would mean this wasn't an issue). The whole pittbulls-biting-kids thing is a rumor more than anything else - just because people keep them as guard dogs and neglect/train them to be mean doesn't mean they are mean dogs by nature (I think small breeds are far far nippier with kids anyway). Just look at the Michael Vick dogs - a large number of them have gone on to make good family pets, despite their horrible treatment and fighting backgrounds (though obviously they have some dog-to-dog issues, most don't have any aggression issues with people).

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is a great idea to get the dog first IF you have about 2-4 years between getting the dog and getting the baby.

Also, I think the best dog to own with kids around is a well trained and well socialized dog ;)) So pick your breeder carefully, invest a tonne of time in your dog and make sure that you have a well behaved and well socialized dog by the time kiddo comes along.
The dog will take a lot of abuse from the child and will also get very little attention when the baby is newborn, so an older more calm and relaxed dog is the best for when kids come, and a dog that does not need a lot of excercise.

I also think smaller less active breeds are best with young children around. We have a miniature long-haired dachshund and he is a great size for having a baby/toddler. He is too small to inadvertently harm our son by knocking him over etc, and they are at each others levels and so really can relate to one another well. Of course, no dog it totally trustworthy with a child, so you can never really leave them alone together no matter how well behaved the dog... or child.

Any breed of dog can be neurotic, barky, frightful, biting, aggressive if not trained and socialized properly. It is a LOT of work and a lot of time to nurture a dog so that they become the ideal pet. Be honest with yourself and if you are not prepared to invest what it takes now for a good few years, then do not get a dog before kids.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewEnglandLady said:
3. Make GOOD friends with your dog walker before you even get pregnant! Even if you are going to be a SAHM, you NEED somebody to take your dog for the exercise he deserves when it's too cold or rainy to bring baby along.

I've been trying to talk DH into a dog walker for months! Just a few walks each week would be a huge help for us and a nice change of pace for our dog. I'm going to keep working on him. :cheeky:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
paris29 said:
My fiance and I are thinking of getting a dog. We plan on having kids in the near future. What breed of dog is a good family dog.
I've never had a dog, but have two kids. There is NO way I'd get a dog and have a baby around the same time. From what I've heard from friends, having a dog IS like having a child. They are a lot of work and require care that may be overwhelming if you have a newborn. A friend of mine has a dog walker and the woman is expensive b/c she is skilled in tending to pet medical needs. Another gave her dog away after having her baby!

That said, a golden retriever probably would be okay from what I've heard.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, don't try a pitbull if you are an amateur dog owner. :rolleyes:

Some people have naturally dominant personalities and don't even realize it (they're not mean or anything, they just are in charge) and they can handle a pit bull. Even the nicest pit bull would turn on me within a week. :shock:

It's not a rumour, it's a sad statistic, the number of pit bull and aggressive dog attacks in the US. Ask your insurance agent which dogs cost less to own when you get homeowner's insurance. Most insurance agents ask about dogs now, when selling you a homeowner's policy.

I'm pretty sure any pit bull breeder who needs money and with a litter of puppies to unload will tell you they're great. . . :naughty:

I guess we should ask you: what type of dogs have you owned before? :?: :?: :?:

And have you considered a cat? :lol:

They have different breed characteristics/personalities too. Some are extremely affectionate, some are constant talkers, some act like a meatloaf all day. Check out the cat fanciers website, and/or petfinder.com.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander said:
Ugh, don't try a pitbull if you are an amateur dog owner.

Yeah, don't get any dog that's considered a "restricted breed." There are breeds that are not allowed in community dog parks - stay away from those ones. Rotweilers are on the list, as well... one of those killed my cat over the summer (my inlaws rot killed my cat!).

Also, if you ever plan to rent a house/apt, most will NOT rent to people with dogs over a certain weight, and also do not allow the restricted breeds.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:

Pitbulls are restricted breeds, though. . .they cannot be taken to certain places. I see signs up everywhere. We are renting and all the apts that accept pets do NOT allow pitbulls. Also, this may sound a bit off here, but because of pitbulls' negative reputations, some friends may not want their kids around anyone with a pitbull! It can cause issues/problems planning playdates. Whenever I told friends that my inlaws have a (restricted breed) rotweiler, they were horrified that I even let my kids live with me and the grandparents during the summer and even visit them. My kids only had one friend come over that summer. In fact, it was embarrassing having such a dog and luckily we moved cuz we'd never have kids over with the response from friends I have.

My point is even if you have a great dog, you cannot change others' opinions of them. If one of my friends' kids had a pitbull or rotweiler, they would NOT go to that kid's house.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:

Wow, really? No baby here yet but I would allow a child under my charge to have contact with these breeds over my dead body. The problem is, no matter what the breed all dogs are animals; they get scared they overreact etc. But in particular, those dangerous animals have no place around children.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steal said:
dragonfly411 said:

Wow, really? No baby here yet but I would allow a child under my charge to have contact with these breeds over my dead body. The problem is, no matter what the breed all dogs are animals; they get scared they overreact etc. But in particular, those dangerous animals have no place around children.

I agree. Of course any dog can bite given the right (or wrong) circumstances. I chose a small dog because if the worst happens, he will do less damage to my kiddos. I would never buy/own a fighting/protector breed if I wanted kids. If it did go wrong, it could go horribly horribly wrong.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Steal said:
dragonfly411 said:

WOW really???

I feel like that's really off base. Did you read my account of the pitts around our families? You have to remember most of the dogs that bite are trained to fight, or be guard dogs, not family dogs.

Go read about the goldens and german shephards that bite. The little dogs that bite. It's quite common.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone who has suggested you wait until your children are a little older.

Dogs are a huge commitment, especially time wise. If I recall correctly, you'll still be at school when you start TTC? Full time school, a husband, a baby and a dog are a lot for anyone to deal with!

If you feel you really can't wait, perhaps a lab would be your best bet. They are very intelligent, loyal and protective. However they do require lots of stimulation and exercise and you will spend at least half an hour a day vacuuming up dog hair.

Several posters have mentioned the risks associated with rotties and pit bulls. I've owned several of these during my lifetime and I can say with absolute assurance that these dogs have been given a bad reputation! This is partly due to unethical breeders, ill-informed pet owners and improper, or in some cases, completely absent training. Sometimes even abuse. Yes, these dogs have the potential to be violent, but if they are bred from good, even tempered stock and sold only to confident owners who have done their research on the breed and know their need for exercise and training, many of these desperately sad rottie and pit bull stories we hear could be avoided.

Remember, all dogs have the potential to be biters and a threat, if not trained properly.

It is also extremely important - with any breed - for the dog to know that you are the leader of the pack. Some dogs are naturally submissive but others need reminding.

Good luck, Paris29. Let us know what you decide!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
Steal said:
dragonfly411 said:

WOW really???

I feel like that's really off base. Did you read my account of the pitts around our families? You have to remember most of the dogs that bite are trained to fight, or be guard dogs, not family dogs.

Go read about the goldens and german shephards that bite. The little dogs that bite. It's quite common.

All dogs bite. That's the way they evolved.

Well trained dogs who are treated well are less likely to bite than others.

I grew up around pit bulls and never had so much as a scratch. At various stages I've also had rotties, Alsatians and a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

I can't emphasise enough that my experience has been that dogs respond to what they are taught. It sounds cliche, I know, but what you put in is what you get out. Give your dogs lots of love and cuddles, proper training and care, exercise them regularly, 'listen' to their needs and you'll be fine.

deja_entendu

Rough_Rock
Steal said:
dragonfly411 said:

Long time lurker here, but a couple of the statements made about pitties forced me to register and comment :cheeky:

Pits are frequently (very unfairly) stereotyped. They were bred to fight dogs, which means that although they commonly have issues with dog aggression, it is rare to meet a pit with people aggression. They are typically very friendly with people and many are great with kids. As with any breed you will get a few bad apples.

The statistics regarding pitbull attacks/bites are not reliable. Most people cannot even accurately identify a pit; many other breeds are often mistaken for them (FYI "pitbull" = American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Terrier and the American Pit Bull Terrier). As a result, when a dog bites someone it is commonly recorded as a pit even if it is not. Check out this link to see if you can recognize an APBT: http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

I do agree with MC about pits being a problem if you are a renter (re: breed restrictions) and even if you own your house some areas have banned certain breeds. Obviously I disagree with these restrictions and with breed specific legislation.

Anyway, sorry for the rant but I work with animals and see this a lot. Most pits are friendly, happy dogs and would make great companions (not to mention most shelters are overflowing with them), so it saddens me that they have gotten such a bad reputation. :nono:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
Steal said:
dragonfly411 said:

WOW really???

What I did read was that all dangerous dogs (which over here include American Pit Bull Terrier, English Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Mastiff, Dobermann Pinscher, German Shepherd (Alsatian), Rottweiler, and so on) are required to wear a muzzle and be on a leash at all times. Any dog subject to such mandated controls outside the home suggests an inherent level of danger which is not attributed to non-dangerous dogs. So yes I am surprised that you would suggest a dangerous dog as a pet to a household which will hopefully have a newborn. Off base? Not in my opinion, because children deserve to be kept safe.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I think you are implying that all in a breed will be dangerous and that is not the case and is a really misinformed statement, so honestly Steal I am VERY surprised at you. Where I'm from pitts aren't required to wear a muzzle anywhere, and most of them ride around with big smiles with their families. Kids pull their tails and play with their puppies. So yes, I do recommend them because they make great family dogs.

Again go read about other breeds of dogs that are also biting people. My friend's daughter had her face mauled by a golden retriever when she shut herself in a bedroom with him. He had never shown signs of aggression but there it was plain as day. My great grandmother owned a poodle that snapped at any children that came near her.

All poodles must be dangerous. :rolleyes:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
deja_entendu said:
Long time lurker here, but a couple of the statements made about pitties forced me to register and comment :cheeky:

Pits are frequently (very unfairly) stereotyped. They were bred to fight dogs, which means that although they commonly have issues with dog aggression, it is rare to meet a pit with people aggression. They are typically very friendly with people and many are great with kids. As with any breed you will get a few bad apples.

The statistics regarding pitbull attacks/bites are not reliable. Most people cannot even accurately identify a pit; many other breeds are often mistaken for them (FYI "pitbull" = American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Terrier and the American Pit Bull Terrier). As a result, when a dog bites someone it is commonly recorded as a pit even if it is not. Check out this link to see if you can recognize an APBT: http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

I do agree with MC about pits being a problem if you are a renter (re: breed restrictions) and even if you own your house some areas have banned certain breeds. Obviously I disagree with these restrictions and with breed specific legislation.

Anyway, sorry for the rant but I work with animals and see this a lot. Most pits are friendly, happy dogs and would make great companions (not to mention most shelters are overflowing with them), so it saddens me that they have gotten such a bad reputation. :nono:

Welcome :wavey: .

Rant away, it seems to be ranty Wednesday (me included)! I vehemently disagree with you in that this breed is simply misunderstood and luckily I control my own environment so we can agree to disagree. But I am assured that if I see any dangerous dog in my area which is not complying with our control of dogs act I will call animal control and get the dog removed. I don't care if it is the nicest dog in the whole wide world - as has been mentioned on this thread already. All dogs bite.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
I think you are implying that all in a breed will be dangerous and that is not the case and is a really misinformed statement, so honestly Steal I am VERY surprised at you. Where I'm from pitts aren't required to wear a muzzle anywhere, and most of them ride around with big smiles with their families. Kids pull their tails and play with their puppies. So yes, I do recommend them because they make great family dogs.

Again go read about other breeds of dogs that are also biting people. My friend's daughter had her face mauled by a golden retriever when she shut herself in a bedroom with him. He had never shown signs of aggression but there it was plain as day. My great grandmother owned a poodle that snapped at any children that came near her.

All poodles must be dangerous. :rolleyes:

Don't be surprised. As I said already, our legislation classifies them as dangerous dogs. Soooooo while I accept that your area may not classify them as such, knowing (as you do already) that mine does why is it surprising that I am aghast that you would recommend them as a pet?

I would roll my eyes back at you - but I am too nice for that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results