shape
carat
color
clarity

Broken toe? Give me your advice

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Last night I stepped over the baby gate (new puppy) , caught my right foot on it and both gate and I crashed to the floor. Big toe hurt, but now is purple and hurts more. Tough to walk on, I have to walk on side of foot. It doesn''t bend on that last joint. I am icing it, but do I have to see Dr? I know there is little you can do with a broken toe anyway. Thanks all.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I once broke two toes in a nasty run-in with the leg of a couch, and when I called the doctor, she told me to tape each of them to the good toe next to it. Other than that, she said that ice was pretty much the only thing that could be done. It''s harder when it''s the big toe because you use it more (mine was the middle toe and the "ring" toe) but I''m not sure there''s much else you can really do. I was hobbling for at least a month, and one of them still acts up when the weather gets funky. If it gets really bad (swelling and/or pain), I would call the doctor because there might be something else going on with it, though. I hope you start feeling better soon!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, it sounds like a broken toe is a strong possibility...

I''ve broken my toe several times. The first time also involved our puppy (was playing with him and hit my toe on an ottoman). I thought the same thing as you, Happy, that there was really no point in seeing a podiatrist since nothing could be done. About a month later, however, I broke it again when a desk fell on it. I decided to go see a doc that time and by that time the bone was broken in a few places and one fracture led into the joint. It was the original fracture, he could tell it was a little older based on the x-ray. He said I should probably have surgery, but that was about 4 years ago and I haven''t gone in to have it done. Anyway, my point is that it might not hurt to have it checked out because there are some fractures that might require more care.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I would get it x-rayed. There''s always the possibility you damaged some other part of your foot.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Ok all,thanks for the advice, it is hurting so bad right now I will be calling doctor in the morning. I am taking a pain pill tonight and hope I can sleep even though it is throbbing.
8.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 12:12:20 AM
Author: HappyAnniversary
Ok all,thanks for the advice, it is hurting so bad right now I will be calling doctor in the morning. I am taking a pain pill tonight and hope I can sleep even though it is throbbing.
8.gif
Ouch, I broke several toes doing gymnsatics when I was a teenager. I am glad you are going to see the Doc. Back then they taped them . They healed pretty quickly. Hoping your toe heals quickly too. Glad you have something for pain, let us know what the Doc says.
5.gif

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
I broke my toe in high school playing soccer. Lost my toenail and everything.
14.gif
The doc basically told me there wasn't much that could be done for it. Just be careful not to put too much pressure on it. I think it really just has to heal on its own.

SO sorry that happened to you!
14.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Breaking a big toe is different than breaking an inner toe. For one, it''s a bigger bone and is a weight bearing bone. For another thing, it''s easy to break the bone in the foot that the big toe connects with, which is then a broken foot vs a broken toe. You should definitely get it checked out. If the joint is compromised you could lose bending function which would be a big deal...

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! Just got back from doctor. I have an x-ray form to use if it gets worse but it is actually better today. Suggestion to tape it, and Rx for anti-inflammatory. My calf muscle is so sore from compensating when walking. I was going to post a pic, but it grossed me out so I decided it was definitely TMI. I was surprised how much better it has gotten so I think it is bruised. Whew! Thanks!!!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
glad you got it checked out: as stated above, a big toe is different than an inner or the little toe. i can treat those myself and have done so....but a big toe? no, going to a dr is a must.

mz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results