shape
carat
color
clarity

best and worst countries to be a mom...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this has been the case for many, many years.

mz

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
yay, Holland is 8th on the list, though I''m sure if you made a list of top countries to receive good and MODERN pregnancy care it would be at the bottom.

one thing I really like here is that all kids bike and that we have good public transportation so that we don''t have to be chaffeurs for our kids once they turn the age you are comfortable enough for them to get around on their own.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
that is awesome Noelwr-the mommy chauffer thing I think can get really old really fast:)

ha-ha-ha and
14.gif
on the MODERN medicine front. it''s not like the US has great modern medicine when you look at it''s maternal and infant mortality rates
15.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I was already hoping to be living in Ireland by the time I become a mother, but I had no idea that meant my survival rate would be 10 times higher
6.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meh, I''d have to read this study in person. Honestly, you can''t even tell if we''re comparing apples to apples here. For example, America has a lot more diabetes, obesity, etc that can drastically endanger your pregnancy and labor, which isn''t necessarily correlated to the quality of health care you can receive here. Also, maybe America takes more (or maybe less) careful and thorough records? It''s just really hard to take away meaning on survival rates when I don''t know what the control variables were. If it was simply all mothers and all births, that might not apply to my situation specifically, KWIM? Or there are a variable of confounds, etc.

Anyways. I agree that maternity leave is sad in this country, as is ease of contraception for younger folk. Hopefully we''ll change that for the better in the future though. I know some places now offer paternity leave, which I think is kind of cool.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Aside from the healthcare issues, I personally think paternity leave is kind of essential. DH and I being at home together with our baby for the early months is what set the dynamic of our family life. Generous parental leave and long term family friendly working practices are very important things (to me).

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Slight jack, but related.

A movie comes out on this very topic this weekend. Check out the trailer here: Babies

Can''t wait to go see it!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Maevie--canada has dropped in the past few years to 18th i beleive (no longer in top 10 like it was years ago) possibly b/c it''s adopted more american style practices??? Mat leave is dramatically better, but other standards must be dropping.

MakingtheGrade: I would say that the highest obesity rates in the world and high diabetes rates are part of the health care picture and obviously can''t be seperated from the pregnant mother.
but ya, studies like this are always hard to interpret b/c there are so many variables involved.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results