shape
carat
color
clarity

Aspirin may increase miscarriage risk?

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I was reading up on miscarriage today and was surprised to find out that taking aspirin and other NSAIDs (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, like ibruprofen) is linked to miscarriage, especially in the first trimester.

Has anyone else heard this? I know that taking aspirin during pregnancy isn't really recommended, but I didn't know it could cause a mc. Apparently it's because it can cause implantation failure.

Here's one of the articles I read:

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20030818/painkillers-miscarriage-risk

I know that many women take baby aspirin for fertility - I have myself. The articles I read didn't make a distinction between baby aspirin and regular aspirin though, so I'm not sure if baby aspirin has the same association. I had a look at my bottle of baby aspirin, though, and it's also classed as a NSAID.

Anyone heard or know any more about this?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know; I hear that a baby aspirin helps prevent miscarriage (but this was a friend who's doc put her on it; I don't think it is a good idea unless ones doc advices so). Increases blood flow to the baby and prevents clotting. But a baby aspirin is 81 mg that is. How much is regular aspirin? Maybe too much of a good thing isn't a good thing sort of scenario?? there is a website I really liked when I was preggo that would discuss the med effects in the 1st 2nd and 3rd trimesters. www.safefetus.com

also the website I liked when EBFing and wondering about meds was http://www.infantrisk.com/

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
What skippy said. It's my understanding that adult doses are unsafe but low or baby dose are Indicated under certain circumstances. Plus, adult doses are 350-650 Mg every 6 hours. Baby dose is 81mg per day, so it is very low. FWIW my mom said she drank and took aspirin for the first few months of both pregs because she didn't know any better and both of her kids are attorneys so...who knows how dangerous it may be.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't be taking any form of drugs daily while TTC or pregnant without the OK from my ob gyn personally. Each to their own but unless there is a medical reason to take them, then it could be doing more harm than good. See what your doc recommends for your case.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your replies, and for posting that link, Skippy. I guess I'll ask my doctor about it the next time I go. :))

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
I called a special Toronto hotline about Ibuprofen (the hotline is called Mother Risk and you can call for advice on what you can/can't take, etc). So far Ibuprofen has only been proven to cause problems in the third trimester. I'm still trying to avoid it by even my OB said that if I was in a lot of pain (I get migraines) I could go ahead and take one once in a while.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with meds during your pregnancy is you'll get a different opinion from every doc you ask. And some are so wishy washy about it. Heck, I got a sore throat in my first trimester and was popping *all natural" throat drops until I read the package that said consult your physician before taking if pregnant. My doc said they're *probably* fine. My sister's RE told her she could take anything OTC with a few exceptions.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. Puppmom -that's so true. Curious - do your obgyn give you a list of things to avoid , during your prenatal vists? My gyn doesn't, but I think it would be a good thing to do. I was slathering on Vitamin A/Retinol Cream on my face in my first trimester until I happened to read an article that said it was unsafe. When I asked my gyn about it, he was like, "Oh NO! You can't take that!" Well, thanks for alerting me earlier.... :knockout: :| I know he doesn't have to, but it would be nice. I think I'm actually one of the more better informed patients that he has, too - so I'm sure a lot of his other patients take thinngs routinely that they shouldn't.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My OBGYN includes a list of safe/unsafe medication in a packet she gives out to patients at their first pregnancy visit at eight weeks. I was also told, when sick, that the best thing I could do is take nothing during the first trimester. More than anything I believe they encourage patients to take nothing so there's no feeling of blame if the pregnancy ends in miscarriage.

ETA: That's not to say certain medications aren't dangerous, just that the approach of taking nothing is best from the standpoint that one would think "If only I hadn't taken X then maybe the baby would be okay..."

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sha, I don't remember getting a list but that intro packet is BIG so maybe something was in there. Since DH and I weren't TTC when I got pregnant, I took some stuff a pregnant gal shouldn't until I realized I was pregnant. Then I miscarried a few weeks later. If often makes me wonder... I premedicate for cramps (well, not anymore!) because they're bad so, when I thought my period was coming, I took several Advil a day for several days. I also had an XRAY of my hand. I hate wondering if either of those things were contributing factors. My doc said no but I think she just wanted me to feel better.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, the protocol for my ivf included taking a baby aspirin every day for the first 12 weeks.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy|1325632591|3094374 said:
I don't know; I hear that a baby aspirin helps prevent miscarriage (but this was a friend who's doc put her on it; I don't think it is a good idea unless ones doc advices so). Increases blood flow to the baby and prevents clotting. But a baby aspirin is 81 mg that is. How much is regular aspirin? Maybe too much of a good thing isn't a good thing sort of scenario?? there is a website I really liked when I was preggo that would discuss the med effects in the 1st 2nd and 3rd trimesters. www.safefetus.com

also the website I liked when EBFing and wondering about meds was http://www.infantrisk.com/

Skippy is right. A low dose (81mg/day) of aspirin can prevent miscarriages in some cases by increasing blood flow to the baby and by preventing clots.

I took aspirin my entire pregnancy with my daughter along with an injectible blood thinner called Lovenox due to a clotting disorder. The aspirin affected the fetus, but the Lovenox molecules are too big to pass the placenta so it only affected me. The biggest risk with any anticoagulant is bleeding out during delivery so it's best to discuss taking any medication with your doctor before you start taking it. :))

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your replies! I know that aspirin is helpful for clotting disorders. Will definitely be asking my doc about this the next time I visit. I did take it with my first pregnancy, with no issues...but having had a mc recently, I want to be as safe as possible.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I have taken an 81 mg a day for all 3 of my pregnancies. It was prescribed by my RE following 2 consecutive miscarriages and a blood clotting disorder diagnosis.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your reply, ponder!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results