shape
carat
color
clarity

why aren't more emeralds cabbed?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Ah it feels like ages since I made a thread.

I've noticed many opaque or very included faceted emeralds but very few emerald cabs. I'm sure the cabs hold the same known glow of emeralds. Maybe I'm alone in thinking this - but I would rather have an included cab than an included cut stone (especially for emerald where you are buying it mostly for colour and not light return).

What are your thoughts?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emeralds typically grow in a hexonganal elongated crystal, as other beryl. It's probably easier, and saves on weight to cut it in a traditional emerald cut, than a cab. I think most people prefer faceted stones to cabs as well.

I have been noticing a lot of tsavorite cabs lately, which emulate emeralds. It's a nice, and more affordable alternative to emerald I think.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1396106169|3643402 said:
Emeralds typically grow in a hexonganal elongated crystal, as other beryl. It's probably easier, and saves on weight to cut it in a traditional emerald cut, than a cab. I think most people prefer faceted stones to cabs as well.

I have been noticing a lot of tsavorite cabs lately, which emulate emeralds. It's a nice, and more affordable alternative to emerald I think.

So faceting will actually save weight because of the crystal's natural shape? does cabbing usually result in loss of weight?

It's just that I see many emeralds like the one below and I would rather have something like this as a cab. I don't see much of a point in faceting a stone with no light return.

__19.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much prefer a clean-ish cabochon over an included faceted emerald but like TL, I think it boils down to 2 things; people prefer faceted stones and faceted stones sell for more. The general elongated (pencil-like) rough also makes it difficult to get an attractively shaped cabochon as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results