shape
carat
color
clarity

Who cuts the best Asschers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
As subject asks, who cuts the best Asschers? What about cushions?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on what you like. All of the cutters who are frequently mentioned here have very different styles of cutting. So what kind of cuts do you like? Chunky cushions, spiky cushions, etc? And what kind of asschers?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have 2 Peter Torraca Asschers and 1 Gary Braun Asscher, both very nice. I would venture to guess most would think Jeff White cuts the best asschers, but if you're budget minded, I can recommend both Gary and Peter, as well!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I have a aqua from Gary, a amethyst from Peter and a zircon from Gene. I love them all but my favorite is the zircon.

ETA: I also have chyso from Gene, my most favoritist (maybe this is not a word)...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see each cutter as having a specialty:
Gene cuts the best fancy cuts
Barry wins with his supernova ovals and rounds
Jeff does awesome work custom cutting that''s in between the traditional style and fancy style. I have an asscher cut by JW and I think the cutting is extremely precise with excellent polish. I cannot speak for the other cutters as I have not examined their asscher stones in person.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I have asschers cut by Gene, Jeff and Peter and they are all amazing! Gary Braun cuts awesome asschers, too!
36.gif

I don''t have any cushions yet, but I will soon....
9.gif

Lori

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is kind an interesting thread. I would say that all the cutters here in the US that are mentioned on this forum are very component cutters. Many of the cuts, rounds, supernova, asscher etc are published cuts so everyone cutting these is cutting the same design. It''s kind of like saying "who makes better plain pasta?". You boil the water in put in the noodles. The only difference then becomes what brand noodle are you using. The same thing with cutting these popular published designs. Everyone is going to cut them very exacting, with precise meets, and a fine polish. The question is what is being cut.

I think each cutter kind of has his niche, and this is either a function of what they found sells well for them, or what they enjoy cutting, and why they cut. If the soul goal was to make the most money per hour, then all you would do would be to cut rounds. A round is the simplest and fastest stone to cut. Especially one with a reduced number of facets from the SRB, or diamond cut. I can cut a SRB (standard round brilliant) in an hour, some of the more complex cuts or fancy cuts can take 5 or more hours. There is nothing difficult about an Asscher cut, but it takes longer than a round since you need to go up and down the pavilion at least 2 times to get the steps to work out and fit the stone.

I know some guys who cut for the pure pleasure of it, and what they like is getting the facets to meet absolutely perfectly under a microscope. These guys will spend several weeks cutting one stone, and often it''s a lab created stones, that when they are done is really worth about $20. So they may have 40 or 80 hours into a stone, that is almost worthless, but this is what they like to do.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/17/2009 11:59:35 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
This is kind an interesting thread. I would say that all the cutters here in the US that are mentioned on this forum are very component cutters. Many of the cuts, rounds, supernova, asscher etc are published cuts so everyone cutting these is cutting the same design. It''s kind of like saying ''who makes better plain pasta?''. You boil the water in put in the noodles. The only difference then becomes what brand noodle are you using. The same thing with cutting these popular published designs. Everyone is going to cut them very exacting, with precise meets, and a fine polish. The question is what is being cut.

I think each cutter kind of has his niche, and this is either a function of what they found sells well for them, or what they enjoy cutting, and why they cut. If the soul goal was to make the most money per hour, then all you would do would be to cut rounds. A round is the simplest and fastest stone to cut. Especially one with a reduced number of facets from the SRB, or diamond cut. I can cut a SRB (standard round brilliant) in an hour, some of the more complex cuts or fancy cuts can take 5 or more hours. There is nothing difficult about an Asscher cut, but it takes longer than a round since you need to go up and down the pavilion at least 2 times to get the steps to work out and fit the stone.

I know some guys who cut for the pure pleasure of it, and what they like is getting the facets to meet absolutely perfectly under a microscope. These guys will spend several weeks cutting one stone, and often it''s a lab created stones, that when they are done is really worth about $20. So they may have 40 or 80 hours into a stone, that is almost worthless, but this is what they like to do.
My husband makes better plain pasta than I do, believe it or not - LOL!!

For me, I do think everyone of the cutters mentions on PS cuts a beautiful asscher. My first concern would be the color of the gem.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all for your responses.

TL - my boyfriend also cooks better plain pasta. Mine is always too hard or too soft because I just can''t time it right. Good thing he does all the cooking in the house.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 1:58:33 PM
The question is, who makes the best sauce? I''ll trade gemstones for good homemade Italian sauce.
Gene - Can I trade good homemade pasta sauce for your gemstones? I will take that any day.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 2:07:53 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

The question is, who makes the best sauce? I''ll trade gemstones for good homemade Italian sauce.
Gene - Can I trade good homemade pasta sauce for your gemstones? I will take that any day.
Seriously - I make a killer Arrabiata sauce!
3.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I have a very good sauce that uses sausage. Can I interest you in some Italina sauce? Gemstones accepted.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 3:05:05 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Oh I have a very good sauce that uses sausage. Can I interest you in some Italina sauce? Gemstones accepted.

Mmmmm that sounds good. I am going to have to work more on my cooking skills if it will get me more little rocks. I make an awesome cupcake
9.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My creamy, lemony pasta with chicken is to die for. If you prefer the exotic, I can send you some pasta in a curry sauce that is very good (you can choose a cream base or a healthiier tomato base).

You sure bring out the cook in us, Gene!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nice thread, I was curious of getting a squarish shaped gem, and I really like the look of asschers so this is helpful.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Here is my giant tourmaline Royal Asscher from Gene....she''s amazing!
36.gif

Lori

genetourmaline-asscher6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results