shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy 5mm round pair of quality loose blue sapphires

jetblast2k

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have learned a lot from this board over the past few weeks as I am going through the process of creating an engagement ring. I have picked out a 1.22ct E color diamond and am now looking for a pair of blue sapphire side stones for the ring.

I am looking for a matching pair of 4.5mm or 5mm round blue sapphires, excellent quality (no visible inclusions), very rich and intense color is very important, excellent brilliance and symmetry, and very minimal difference in the dimensions of each stone. I do not want anything with chemical treatment or diffusion, and really prefer a natural unheated stones rather than heated. My budget is $1000 to $2000 for the pair but I can go up to $2500 for quality stones, if need be. One big requirement though, is that I need the stones within a week or so.

I am located in NYC, and have seen stones (in person) from the following:
1) GemsNY - Their natural unheated stones looked nice but did not stand out that well in terms of color (~5.2mm ~$2.5k)
2) Alpha Imports - The salesman pulled about 25 stones out of a bag that was labeled "5mm" and picked out two with the same dimensions. They had a deep color but lacked brilliance and symmetry. After looking at the stones for a few minutes, I was told they can not sell to me as they are wholesale only. It was a very perplexing experience and seemed very sketchy. Either way, I'm not looking for cheap stones/possible fakes. (~5mm $240)
3) Natural Sapphire Company - Found a nice pair of natural unheated stones that matched well and had a nice brilliance and color was ok but not as deep as I had hoped for. Nevertheless, If I do not find anything else, will probably go for these. (~4.5mm ~$1k)

Can anyone give me some advice here:
1) Where can I find a quality pair of sapphires to match my needs? Any good places in NYC? Any reputable online sources based in the US?
2) What should the price range be for the pair of stones I am looking for?
3) Is there any reason I should avoid purchasing the loose stones from the Natural Sapphire Company?

Thanks in advance for any help!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Re: Where to buy 5mm round pair of quality loose blue sapphi

Gemfix is a good idea. Finding an unheated pair in a week with color & clarity you like will be a miracle, unfortunately. Luckily you're in NYC where your choices are most abundant. I'm sure someone from that area can advise you. Good luck.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you asked whoever is fashioning the ring if they will source the side stone sapphires for you? Assuming they are in the trade, they will indeed have access to stones that you can't purchase as a retail customer -- and with less hassle to you :))

ETA: you could give Marc Sarosi of Africa Gems in CA a call, altho' my quick glance at his Matched Sapphire Pairs page suggests that the rounds in the size-price you wish are likely to be heated; his full inventory of pairs, however, may not be posted online
http://www.africagems.com/blue-sapphire-matched.html

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock

I've also seen loads of calibrated sapphire rounds coming up on jeff davies' pinterest - might be worth a look. your color criteria might narrow things down quite a lot though. good luck with the search!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Simply Sapphires. John has some gorgeous material, and I really treasure each stone I have from him. I've had one return in half a dozen purchases, and the return was very smooth.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

First off, are you absolutely sure a 5 mm - 7 mm - 5 mm proportion is what you want? Given your requirements and budget, something has to give. A pair of top blue unheated and well matched 5 mm sapphires is going to be much more than $2500. You might find something heated although it will take some looking around. Unfortunately you do not have time on your side.

You have 5 options only at this point:
1. Have the vendor creating your ring source the sapphires
2. Contact Wink Jones. My personal experience is that he can find this for you in a snap! I know that his website looks specialized only in diamonds but he knows coloured gemstones inside out.
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=contact
3. Contact Africagems (good sized inventory although they are on the more expensive side), who is in NYC
4. Contact Paraiba International (need to make an appointment but has more items in stock)
5. I would never recommend NSC unless you are absolutely pressed for time and happen to be in NYC, which you are.

If you had more time, I would check out:
Joe Escobar - http://www.escobardiamonds.com
Andrew Gulij of Gemfix - www.gemfix.com
John - www.simplysapphires.com

jetblast2k

Rough_Rock

Thank you all for your help. As some had pointed out, finding a well matched unheated pair within my budget in the next week is not looking like it will work out. So, I have decided to go with a heated pair. Luckily, I spoke to my diamond sourcer again and he was able to put me in touch with a local dealer that can get me a matched pair and can have them polished to be nearly the exact same dimensions.

Thanks again fro all your help and suggestions!

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock

Just a quick note that AfricaGems is in California - in case that makes a difference to you in terms of taxes and/or shipping time.

Otherwise, you have received some excellent suggestions above.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results