shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats your opinion on open settings for a dark color stone?

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
I am thinking about getting a blue sapphire at some point in time and making a custom ring. I really love the open type setting like tension set for example. I know they let in more light for diamonds, but is that a good thing for a dark stone? Wouldn't it kind of wash out the color a little bit?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Whats your opinion on open settings for a dark color sto

Typically an open setting allows light to bounce in and out of the stone so for dark stones they are a good idea. If you have a glass of coke (for example) and put your hands around it, the coke looks much darker. Take your hands away and it looks lighter. It's the same principle.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

craighnt|1412107444|3759344 said:
I am thinking about getting a blue sapphire at some point in time and making a custom ring. I really love the open type setting like tension set for example. I know they let in more light for diamonds, but is that a good thing for a dark stone? Wouldn't it kind of wash out the color a little bit?

Not all sapphires are dark. Some people think they are because of the dark/blackish stone that Kate Middleton wears. Get a lighter toned sapphire if you don't want a dark stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It sounds like you are looking for a dark blue sapphire? If so, an open setting will allow more light in from the sides to limit incidences of it blacking out under low light conditions. Washing out only happens to stones with very light tone and/or those with low levels of saturation.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

Personally the darker a stone is, the more light I WANT to let in. It shouldn't wash out the color; it should let in sparkle.

craighnt

Shiny_Rock

I am thinking about a vivid blue medium Ceylon Sapphire. Maybe just one step from the middle to the darker side. I love the intensity of color but there is something that looks a bit fake to me. Maybe it's because all the good fakes are so intense or color saturated. But definitely not dark. Not inky, that reminds me of a class I had once decades ago where the instructor forced us all to draw with the same color indigo blue pencil. :boohoo:

I am not sure, is Royal Blue considered a trade name for slightly darker sapphire?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

craighnt|1412203498|3760186 said:
I am thinking about a vivid blue medium Ceylon Sapphire. Maybe just one step from the middle to the darker side. I love the intensity of color but there is something that looks a bit fake to me. Maybe it's because all the good fakes are so intense or color saturated. But definitely not dark. Not inky, that reminds me of a class I had once decades ago where the instructor forced us all to draw with the same color indigo blue pencil. :boohoo:

I am not sure, is Royal Blue considered a trade name for slightly darker sapphire?

Royal blue is a fancy name for that overrated dark "Diana/Kate" sapphire.

I advise you to look at a lot of good quality sapphires before you assume what a high quality one is like, which is definitely not representative of all the fakes I've been seeing on the market.

Now this is a high quality sapphire. You may not be able to attain such a stone, but its definitely not like the fakes I've been seeing, and it's definitely not very dark in tone.

bs1_img_1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1412208587|3760236 said:
craighnt|1412203498|3760186 said:

Royal blue is a fancy name for that overrated dark "Diana/Kate" sapphire.

I advise you to look at a lot of good quality sapphires before you assume what a high quality one is like, which is definitely not representative of all the fakes I've been seeing on the market.

Now this is a high quality sapphire. You may not be able to attain such a stone, but its definitely not like the fakes I've been seeing, and it's definitely not very dark in tone.

bs1_img_1.jpg

I agree most fakes I see are dark and gross.

fake spinel though :love:

craighnt

Shiny_Rock

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: You just poked my eye out with that! So intense, so beautiful, you just ruined my whole day because I probably cant afford something that high quality! Now I am going to be depressed with anything less. :boohoo:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL,
You need to post a warning requiring eye protection before posting such a gorgeously coloured blue sapphire. :cheeky:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

craighnt|1412249658|3760462 said:
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: You just poked my eye out with that! So intense, so beautiful, you just ruined my whole day because I probably cant afford something that high quality! Now I am going to be depressed with anything less. :boohoo:

There are many beautiful sapphires out there. The thing is that posting high quality stones allows an uneducated consumer make more intelligent choices about what they can afford, even if it's not top. I have a beautiful sapphire, while light in tone, and definitely not top color, I enjoy it thoroughly and the color is very pleasant. It's definitely not some black hole sapphire, which most people have become accustomed to thinking is top quality over the past 30 years. :knockout:

If you search through the forum, you will see a myriad of sapphire examples, and be able to make a more educated decision for what you can afford. I also highly recommend you read the sticky at the top of this forum about colored gemstones. Sapphires and rubies are often highly treated gems, and you have to be careful from where and whom you purchase a stone.

craighnt

Shiny_Rock

TL|1412261184|3760591 said:

If you search through the forum, you will see a myriad of sapphire examples, and be able to make a more educated decision for what you can afford. I also highly recommend you read the sticky at the top of this forum about colored gemstones. Sapphires and rubies are often highly treated gems, and you have to be careful from where and whom you purchase a stone.

I was looking at the top of the forum, seems like a ton of venders out there. May I ask where you got such a beautiful stone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

craighnt|1412282683|3760819 said:
TL|1412261184|3760591 said:

I was looking at the top of the forum, seems like a ton of venders out there. May I ask where you got such a beautiful stone?

I WISH that was my stone. It belongs to member ArtNouveau, and is an untreated Burmese sapphire with an AGL origin and color quality report. Stones like that are very rare.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

Nice hauyne ! :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marlow|1412285135|3760848 said:
Nice hauyne ! :love:
Shush, Marlow. :lol:

Marlow