shape
carat
color
clarity

What was LOST shall be found

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone.

I think the time has come to begin my search to replace my original engagement ring from 21 years ago: 2 ct sapphire with diamonds similar to Princess Diana''s style....

These 2 rings from M. Khordipour are what I''m looking for. Possibly a bit larger than 2ct, but no larger than 2.5 for the sapphire.

I have fallen in love with Jeff White''s sapphires, and so am thinking perhaps I could find the sapphire and have it set into something similar to the khordipour settings.

I have looked on the Stuller website, but I am not too thrilled with the style of the basket/gallery and prongs. I really like how the diamonds are held in without the prongs being on the outside edge of the diamonds (ie: that older style which look somewhat "floral" because of how the surrounding halo is set).

So I''m asking for help with this project: Any suggestions are welcome, including the easiest route which is to just buy the whole thing from Khordipour...but then, I don''t see the kind of cut that Jeff White does in their gallery.

I''d be ok to buy a setting separately if I could find one that was updated from the 1970s look from Stuller (I''ll attach a pic separately).

Anyhow, for starters, here''s an idea of my dream.

Khordipour #1.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
let's try this again.
Here's what I'd like, or, it's a start

These are the 2 from Khordipour that I think are close to what I want.

I prefer the simpler gallery on the one (that has the 2 bezels)

Khordipourboth.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
And here is what I DON"T want (note the prongs on the diamonds, and, I think it looks a bit dated).
However, I do want to stick to a style similar to these, because it is what DH bought in the first place! This is from the Stuller catalogue

(my avatar is very similar to the 'lost' ring, it has prongs like this one)

Stuller mountings2_images_7017_w_.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
And here, is a gorgeous stone from Jeff White. I LOVE how he cuts his coloured stones!

This one is too small, but I posted it to give you an idea of how beautiful the cut is.

315075.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
And this is the side view of what Stuller has to offer: not really what I''m looking for, but I''ve posted it for reference to the photo above.

7017_w_side.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty settings. I like the bezel set one the best too. I love that color of sapphire. Good luck in your search.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw you might call around and see if someplace local has the catalog its a whole lot easier than the website to tell what something looks like.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a very old sapphire ring in the same setting you do not like. There were probably millions of those sold in the years following Princess Diana''s engagement! It is in yellow gold, but it is a handmade setting, I think. I never wear it because I hate the setting and also because the sapphire is too dark. I can''t decide whether to just leave it as it is and start over or whether to use the diamonds and get a new setting. The diamonds are bright and white, so I think they are good ones. But I do have two daughters, so there is reason to just leave the ring alone and get another one.

I love Jeff''s stones and want sapphires from him as well. I just happen to like a great cut on colored stones as well as diamonds. So I don''t blame you a bit for getting his stone and having a ring made. I actually like the ring on the left since it is a little different, but that one might be hard to find in stock settings.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2008 8:49:26 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I have a very old sapphire ring in the same setting you do not like. There were probably millions of those sold in the years following Princess Diana''s engagement! It is in yellow gold, but it is a handmade setting, I think. I never wear it because I hate the setting and also because the sapphire is too dark. I can''t decide whether to just leave it as it is and start over or whether to use the diamonds and get a new setting. The diamonds are bright and white, so I think they are good ones. But I do have two daughters, so there is reason to just leave the ring alone and get another one.

I love Jeff''s stones and want sapphires from him as well. I just happen to like a great cut on colored stones as well as diamonds. So I don''t blame you a bit for getting his stone and having a ring made. I actually like the ring on the left since it is a little different, but that one might be hard to find in stock settings.

Funny you should mention your old sapphire. In spite of my sadness at having lost my original the thing I was never too happy about was the darkness of the stone, plus the fact that it was yellow gold shank and white gold head. The prongs on the outsides of each of the diamonds were always catching on things as well.That''s why I love the Khordipour setting.

I''m almost wondering if I approach Khordipour and ask them if I supply the sapphire, would they either set it into their setting, or if they would sell me the setting without the sapphire, then Jeff could supply the stone....

It is really strange: my husband bought me a 3 stone ring to occupy my left ring finger. Ever since he did that, I MISS my original sapphire even more....not that I''d give back the 3 stone ring (2ct centre stone with 1/2 ct each side stones!), but I''d happily move it over to my right hand and return a sapphire to its rightful place!

I would almost like a combination of the 2 rings: I love the one on the right but not the intricate gallery below. I''m a bit ambivalent about the baguettes on the left one...so maybe a combination of the head of the right one and the gallery of the left one would make me happy.

I guess since I saw Jeff White''s sapphires I''ve been trying to find a way to make this happen.

1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have been looking at sapphires for awhile. I found that a lot of people here were buying at Natural Sapphire Company. But the truth is, I cannot tolerate the native cuts very well. I''d honestly rather have a very well cut stone that has had low heat (since most sapphires do anyway). When I saw Jeff''s stones, I just decided that is who I want to cut my sapphires! Neatfreak''s new asscher cut one made me finally contact Jeff and give him my sapphire wish list.

I think it is an excellent idea to ask Khordipour if you could by their setting for your own sapphire. I think I''d try that first.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I'm warming up to that idea. Any stock mountings out there aren't nearly as beautiful as the Khourdipours.....

DS you and I probably had the same ring: here's the one and only photo I have of it (close up). It was not that dark but still darker than what I'd select today. People were always asking me if it was some kind of "blue onyx"!!!

At the time I was bedazzled both by love and by the ring...but now that it is well and truly lost, this is an opportunity to upgrade without DH really realizing what I'm doing.

The day we bought it I was walking with him inthe Mall and saw it in the window. Said she: "that's the one I want" and he went in and bought it. His only comment at the time was I'd better get it right because that was IT. No upgrade allowed.

Funny thing was, there was another ring in the case (probably about 3.5ct)in a similar setting. I thought it looked too much like a cocktail ring. Anyhow, I asked him once years later: "what would you have done if I wanted the bigger one". Reply: "you'll never know the answer to that, will you?"....what a guy.

Sapphireorig.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results