shape
carat
color
clarity

What lighting are rubies supposed to be judged under?

jvLin

Rough_Rock
What kind of lighting is considered most impartial for judging rubies? I find that most rubies have a pinkish secondary color under bright, bright daylight, which would detract from its value. What light do dealers/gemological institutions use?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
http://www.palagems.com/gem_lighting1.htm

Personally I like natural daylight preferably not bright, bright sunlight or too overcast. I'd say between 10am and 3pm is good.

I've also learnt that if I buy a blue sapphire in Sri Lanka I need to buy around 2 shades lighter to obtain the colour I am after back home in Britain. Pinks don't seem to have the same issue.

I'm not rich enough to buy rubies, but those I've looked at haven't looked that different in the morning or afternoon although some people swear by it. Perhaps if you are comparing stones then try and see them in similar conditions.

A stone will look different at different latitudes.

Whilst I will check the appearance of a stone under incandescent light, I would never buy one unless seen under natural daylight and that is the definitive and most important colour for me.

ETA: Daylight lamps are not the same. If you see the dealers in countries like Sri Lanka, they like to have as much of their offices with glass as possible. Frankly I do not know how the Thai dealers do it in blacked out cars, I presume they are just practiced enough, or maybe colour isn't an issue when buying gueda.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results