shape
carat
color
clarity

What is on your gemstone buying plan?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
What are you planning to purchase? I just made a list so that I can be disciplined about my gemstone purchases, instead of buying any pretty gemstone that I see. I am hoping to acquire the following (no time frame though):

3-5 ct Tsavorite
5-7 ct Spessartite
3-5 ct Untreated Burmese Sapphire (in a royal blue kind of blue)
3-5 ct Bluish Green Tourmaline (ideally neony or glowy)
and a pretty blue zircon which I am still looking up

I just saw a beautiful tsavorite at my jeweller''s - certified vivid green by GRS, more than 7 carats, cushion shape.. STUNNING. Cost for the stone alone was approx USD28,000. Couldn''t afford it with a south sea pearl necklace in the works and I just bought a VCA necklace.

Do you find yourselves in this type of situations? Where you really really like something, bought it, and something else stunning comes along..

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Okay... here''s mine (not in any order):

Rosolite Garnet (my current search)

Faceted Rose Quartz

Sphalerite

Demantoid Garnet

Chrysoberyl

Green/yellow Sphene

Any other Garnet

Blue/Violet Sapphire

Only the sapphire would be for wearing - the rest are for my rock box.

Do you find yourselves in this type of situations? Where you really really like something, bought it, and something else stunning comes along..

Yes, but then I just save up for that too. I''d be very sad if nothing stunning came along again...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have a plan. I keep seeing stones I like but then I find another and forget about the first one. I can''t commit to anything. I like them all!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My long term plan (in no order):

Cats-eye chrysoberyl
Blue or rainbow moonstones (parcel)
Colour change garnet
Tsavorite
More red spinels
pink spinels
Demantoid garnet
Tsavorite garnet (to match my necklace and make earrings)
Meralani mint garnet
Emerald cabachon

I'm sure there's more that I'd love to have in my plan.
31.gif
I always have my budget set for the year and keep an eye out. It something drop dead gorgeous comes along, I save up for that one pronto.
11.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I have a demantoid on my ''to buy'' list but mostly I''d like to set a lot of the gems I already have.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wish list [no particular order]:

Blue Sapphire dangly earrings
Blue sapphire bracelet
Aquamarine dangly earrings
Aquamarine bracelet
Tsavorite dangly earrings
Tsavorite pendant/necklace
Tsavorite bracelet[maybe]

9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ruby sugarloaf cab.
Tsavorites for a necklace.
Kashmiri blue sapphire.
Paraiba.
Sapphire suite.
Tsavorites for a pair of earrings.
Hot pink sapphire or spinel.
Peristerite suite.
Ruby suite.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock

My wist list, no time frame

blue sapphire
1/2-1 ct ruby round
Tsavorite
3ct+ aquamarine

I am working on the blue sapphire right now, but if nothing comes up that I want in the next month, I might go for a Tsavorite instead

"Do you find yourselves in this type of situations? Where you really really like something, bought it, and something else stunning comes along.."

Guess that is what I am afried of, but unless you have an unlimited budget, there will always be something bigger, better, brighter....I think as long as I know I did my homework and bought a stone knowing the reange for that type, I will be happy.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora, I would love to see your gem box! What do you use to store your unset gems, do you keep them in one nice box or do you keep them in the individual square boxes they come with?

Addy, I''m sure your wallet loves you! Me on the other hand, lives with the mantra "i''d rather regret buying than regret not buying.."

Chrono, I think we have pretty similar tastes for gemstones. I love your plan. I saw a merelani mint garnet on Jeff White''s website and it was tdf. Unforunately, it was on the gallery for sold items. As for cat''s eye chrysoberyl, I saw them at my jeweler''s once. It was set into a ring but really expensive. If I am not mistaken, it was to the tune of USD70K, but it was tdf!

Kismet, how would you be setting your gems? Please post pics when you get the chance.

Catmom, that is a lovely plan. Do you reckon your DH will indulge you a bit more for your plan to realise?
9.gif

Harriet, you have big plans! It is hard to find certain gemstones and you want a suite!
9.gif
Anyway, if you are coming to Singapore, drop by Canary Diamonds. I saw some sugarloaf ruby rings there and they are gorgeous. It was there that I saw the 7carat vivid green Tsavorite.

Ltfirecracker, good luck with your sapphire hunt. Did you try some of the gemcutters recommended by the forum members here?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know about Pandora but I keep my unset gemstones in their little plastic see through cases. I prefer them kept individually so they don''t damage one another. Plus, I also label the boxes with info - origin, measurement, carat weight, description, etc.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
An amethyst pendant in a bezel

A golden beryl or honey colored citrine, maybe paired with peridot

Something garnet...I always want a pretty red to wear in the winter

A morganite or kunzite or lavender sapphire RHR

OR

A blue sapphire RHR - those Jeff White asschers are to die for

OOOOOOOH and the multi-gem necklace a la LaurenthePartier... a local B&M jeweler has one that is similar, but instead of all rounds, it's round and marquis... it makes me swoon.

ETA: An an EC tsav. All these pics floating around lately have me GREEN with envy! :)

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I want pretty much everything I see!
1.gif

Deep red garnet, either a cushion or a round. It''s tough to find any that don''t have too much purple or pink in them for my taste.

I also want a bezeled sapphire pendant to go with my ering and my bezel studs, like this diamond one:

I have several gemstones now that I need to have set so I suppose that should be first priority, but that doesn''t stop me from looking at more loose stones! I like keeping them loose just to pull out and play with.

wc_pendant.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Simply Splendid,
I know, I know. I''m awful. Thanks for the ruby tip. I,er, already have one one the way. I also, um, have located the sapphire suites.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I keep all my stones in these boxes

They come with black or white foamy stuff in the boxes, and the boxes are designed so the gemstone is pressed flat up against the glass of it''s own box, so you can transport them and they don''t slip around.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure when I''ll actually get these but here''s my list.

Some sort of purple get garnet

A Tsavorite

A hot pink or stop light red spinel if I can find a good one in my price range

I''m also interested in sapphires of al colors and tourmalines too, wouldn''t mind a zircon either :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 3:40:20 PM
Author: Elmorton
An amethyst pendant in a bezel

A golden beryl or honey colored citrine, maybe paired with peridot

Something garnet...I always want a pretty red to wear in the winter

A morganite or kunzite or lavender sapphire RHR

OR

A blue sapphire RHR - those Jeff White asschers are to die for

OOOOOOOH and the multi-gem necklace a la LaurenthePartier... a local B&M jeweler has one that is similar, but instead of all rounds, it''s round and marquis... it makes me swoon.

ETA: An an EC tsav. All these pics floating around lately have me GREEN with envy! :)
Just wanted to say I''d probably go for the sapphire - kunzite is really fragile, 3 directions of perfect cleavage, so you''ll need to really baby it in a ring. It also fades in strong sunlight.

I have one in my box and it''s soooooo pretty and sparkly.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
"Ltfirecracker, good luck with your sapphire hunt. Did you try some of the gemcutters recommended by the forum members here?"

I have looked at their stuff, but there is a stone I saw 2 months ago that is still on my mind. I just went back this afternoon and they still have it. It is a nice well rounded stone. Good color, great cut, has a ton of life and sparkle in both natural light and spot lights. So I am going to sleep on it one more night, but I am probably get that one. I am a little nervous that after 3-4 months of looking that I am finally making a decision. I do like Jeff''s White''s work and will consider it for some of the other items on my "dream list" in the future.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a limit to how long a post can be?
9.gif

In no particular order:

Emerald Cut Royal blue sapphire
1 ct round ruby
1 ct tsavortie garnet
1 ct spessartite garnet
1 ct purple sapphire
1 ct spinel (pink, blue or purple)

And many other sparkly things.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, I have too many wants, but I do have a few plans...

A largish greenish-blue aquamarine in a rectangular shape
An unheated cushion ruby or (more likely) red spinel
An unheated blue sapphire, on the lighter side of cornflower
A really nice dark green emerald
A really good moonstone (like that gorgeous one in the Leon pendant posted a while ago

any of the above would probably go into a RHR or, if I could swing a pair, into earrings. I''m not much of a pendant person. I''d especially like a pair of dangly moonstone earrings.

Other things on my list:
A demantoid something (I have my eye on an antique brooch)
I''d also like some Victorian garnet jewelry to go with a ring I have

Sigh, I have expensive tastes, so none of these purchases will be made any time soon - I have to save up, and I have 3 kids to put through college! Some things, like the unheated ruby, I may never get.

Most likely purchase any time soon would be an aquamarine, a pair of Victorian garnet earrings, or the demantoid brooch. By soon, though, I mean within the next 5 yeas. If I find the right aquamarine, though, I might get one for my birthday or Christmas this year.

It''s a good thing I''m only 34, I guess!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, I wish I could be as disciplined about my gemstones.. I think I will try to do that as well, keep a record of each gemstone.

Elmorton, all the pretty tsavorites on the forum makes me want one too.

Oh Selkie, me too! I want everything I see too. A bezel sapphire will be simple, classic and elegant!

Harriet.. sigh, I wonder who is worse.. most of the times I am on a few projects at one time too. Just collected my south sea pearl strand from my jeweler today with another south sea pearl earrings (my 5th pair!) in the works, just received another pink tourmaline from Dan Stair last week, just ordered a windex blue zircon from Richard Homer 2 hours ago and I am talking to Jeff White re: bluish green tourmaline.. not good for wallet.. But these little sparklies are so irresistable, aren''t they?

Pandora, that is neat! Have you filled up your gemstone boxes already? I am sure you feel a great sense of satisfaction to just look into this gem box!

Innerkitten, there''s a pretty pair of hot pink, neony spinels at acstones.com now..

Marcyc, feel free to add to the list! The longer the list is, the better I feel (at least I am not the only "sicko" who is so into gems and sparklies)..

Clio, your plan sounds great -- I love the thought of an unheated cushion ruby or red spinel.. yum!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
SimplySplendid,
You, of course. :) I should speak - I''m talking to my dealer right now.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so I haven''t started school yet, so this is all apt to change. I''m sure I''ll want every stone that I learn about.
9.gif

But for now:

1. Benetoite (this will be tiny)
2. Ruby
3. Demantoid Garnet
4. Red Spinel
5. Rubellite Tourmaline
6. Red Beryl (this will be tiny)
7. Sphene

I''m obsessed with red gemstones at the moment--with a little green and blue thrown into the mix. I want them solely for my collection with the exception of the ruby, which I want to wear!
3.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 2:04:24 PM
Author: simplysplendid
Chrono, I wish I could be as disciplined about my gemstones.. I think I will try to do that as well, keep a record of each gemstone.

Elmorton, all the pretty tsavorites on the forum makes me want one too.

Oh Selkie, me too! I want everything I see too. A bezel sapphire will be simple, classic and elegant!

Harriet.. sigh, I wonder who is worse.. most of the times I am on a few projects at one time too. Just collected my south sea pearl strand from my jeweler today with another south sea pearl earrings (my 5th pair!) in the works, just received another pink tourmaline from Dan Stair last week, just ordered a windex blue zircon from Richard Homer 2 hours ago and I am talking to Jeff White re: bluish green tourmaline.. not good for wallet.. But these little sparklies are so irresistable, aren't they?

Pandora, that is neat! Have you filled up your gemstone boxes already? I am sure you feel a great sense of satisfaction to just look into this gem box!

Innerkitten, there's a pretty pair of hot pink, neony spinels at acstones.com now..

Marcyc, feel free to add to the list! The longer the list is, the better I feel (at least I am not the only 'sicko' who is so into gems and sparklies)..

Clio, your plan sounds great -- I love the thought of an unheated cushion ruby or red spinel.. yum!
I'm onto the second box now - but there are only a few 'good' pieces in the first box.

There are a lot of 'study stones' - so interesting inclusions, bits of rough, various types of synthetic and fakes - you can't learn how to tell the difference and identify the natural if you haven't got a good idea about the non natural, and not great examples of different gems for doing tests with.

Among the nice ones are: a kunzite, neon apatite, a matched pair of chrome diopside, faceted rock crystal, a cab chrysoprase (it looks like a mint gumdrop and I so want to eat it!) and my new Royal Rhodolite is joining them tomorrow (paid customs today) - can't wait to see it. Richard at artcutgems cut it for me, its a 4.37ct stepcut octagon.

I'm so excited!

I had a great time the other week. I met my tutor for the first time. FI says it was like watching two crack addicts!
9.gif
We both turned up with boxes of stones and then played 'name that rock' using only a x10 loupe. It was such fun.

He gave me some quite hard ones including garnet topped doublets and a soude emerald (fascinating, I'd never seen one before - it has inclusions, but they look 'wrong' crystals rather than the wispy 'jardin' and they are all in this one layer rather than distributed throughout the stone, the colour is perfect but it just looks suspicious.) I picked out all the synthetics but didn't necessarily know what sort they were (flux, hydrothermal etc) except the GTD's which I did - apparently you get quite a few in the practical exam to identify. He also had a beautiful faceted rose quartz and lots of other pretties.

I stumped him on two of mine - a strange coloured spinel and a songea sapphire (I had a piece of the rough there as well) - so I didn't feel too bad about the ones I fluffed.

We also had a good chat about various PS vendors. He also reads PS and Gemology Online, so I'm probably sussed now! Hi Andrew if you are reading this
35.gif
, and I promise I will get the next assignment in the post on Friday
28.gif

Apparently lots of people come into the shop where he works to buy diamond e-rings with reams of paper with stats on! I ought to have suggested that they just run their stock through the HCA and add that below the price - save a lot of time!
31.gif

Next time I'm up there I'll have to try and fix another meeting. In the meantime I'm going to look out some really difficult stones! Suggestions anyone?
27.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Coati, Pandora,
You girls are having / will be having so much fun!

Pandora,
How about a bixbite?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Simplysplendid, I just checked acstones. Yup thats the color I love. It's a pink w/out brown or gray ones. Love it! But I already have a small one in that color, a .85. A large one would be nice but I think they might be hard to find.

Anout a year and a half ago some of us from the colored gemstone forum here on PS met up with a spinel dealer here in San Francisco. He had some amazing reds and reddish pinks ( I don't remember any of the bubble gum pink though), but the best colors were mostly in small sizes.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
What on earth have you gals done to me!?!?!?

I lived in blissful ignorance of forums such as this until this past Winter. I started researching a ring project to mark my 15th wedding anniversary. That elusive stone is at the top of my wish list:

Pale pink/gold/orange Pad
Imperial topaz rectangular cushion for rt hand ring
Demantoid, probably settle for peridot for matching pear earring jackets
4 peaks amythest - pair, not sure of shape yet, for earrings
Rhodolite garnet oval for little finger signet ring
Yellow topaz ovals - about six or so for a bracelet w/ diamonds
large kite shaped aquamarine for necklet (as worn by Helen Hunt in "A Good Woman). Probably have to settle for synthetic to get the size big enough.

I have photos saved for more or less each idea. When I can figure out a way to get them all into one post, I''ll show you what I''ve got in mind.

Not a bad start for a newbie!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my ideal shade of Pad. The photo is from a post on this forum, but not credited by the previous poster. Anyone who knows anything about this ring/photo, please let me know!

pidder-padder - resized.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
This imperial topaz is tdf. The stone and photo are by Gem Line. I want a cushion, but would have probably swapped my first born son for this particular stone!

Imp Topaz 4.69 ct Gem Line 01 - resized.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2008 8:25:25 PM
Author: Gailey
What on earth have you gals done to me!?!?!?

I lived in blissful ignorance of forums such as this until this past Winter. I started researching a ring project to mark my 15th wedding anniversary. That elusive stone is at the top of my wish list:

Pale pink/gold/orange Pad
Imperial topaz rectangular cushion for rt hand ring
Demantoid, probably settle for peridot for matching pear earring jackets
4 peaks amythest - pair, not sure of shape yet, for earrings
Rhodolite garnet oval for little finger signet ring
Yellow topaz ovals - about six or so for a bracelet w/ diamonds
large kite shaped aquamarine for necklet (as worn by Helen Hunt in ''A Good Woman). Probably have to settle for synthetic to get the size big enough.

I have photos saved for more or less each idea. When I can figure out a way to get them all into one post, I''ll show you what I''ve got in mind.

Not a bad start for a newbie!
These coloured stone folks are bad bad influences. I bought my first gem last April or so and have slipped down that darn slope. Do show us what you have in mind and we''ll help you shop.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results