shape
carat
color
clarity

what does pad mean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
i keep reading pad in various treads
what does "pad" mean?
thanks for explaining

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pad = Padparadscha sapphire
Link

For more real life examples, check out MakingTheGrade''s pad lotus ring, Linda W''s pad and diamond ring, and TravelingGals''s pad 5 stone ring! (Search for their usernames, they are all pretty recent!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are asking one of the most difficult questions ever posed because there is no defined definition as to what a padparadscha sapphire is. Per most of the reputable labs, padparadscha sapphire is a variety of corundum from any geographical origin whose color is a subtle mixture of pinkish orange to orangey pink with pastel tones, and low to medium saturation. The name ''padparadscha sapphire'' SHALL NOT be applied in the following cases:
* If the stone has any colour modifier other than pink or orange.
* If the stone has major uneven colour distribution when viewed with the unaided eye and the table up +/- 30 degrees
* If the stone has been treated by lattice diffusion of a foreign element, treated by irradiation or dyed, coated, painted, etc.

I have my disagreement with regards to the pastel tone and low to medium saturation, but that is discussed elsewhere.
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s an abbreviated name for the trade name for a rare type of orange/pink sapphire - "padparadscha." PS''ers love to use abbreviated names for gems Here''s some others.

tsav = tsavorite
spess = spessartite

I don''t know if there are any others, but if I''m missing some, let me know. I personally like spelling out the word, since I think novices confuse pad, pronounced "pod" (like "i-pod") with the word "pad" (as in "bachelor''s pad"). LOL!!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe we could all benefit from a gemstone pronunciation guide. I know I would!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2009 11:36:47 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It''s an abbreviated name for the trade name for a rare type of orange/pink sapphire - ''padparadscha.'' PS''ers love to use abbreviated names for gems Here''s some others.

tsav = tsavorite
spess = spessartite

I don''t know if there are any others, but if I''m missing some, let me know. I personally like spelling out the word, since I think novices confuse pad, pronounced ''pod'' (like ''i-pod'') with the word ''pad'' (as in ''bachelor''s pad''). LOL!!
Adding to the list:

Alex = Alexandrite
PT = Paraiba Tourmaline (not often used but sometimes)

9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cc = colour change
MP = Mozambique Paraiba (but not often used term)
BE = Beryllium diffusion

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heh, having a glossary of abbreviations definitely isn''t a bad idea :) I remember being new and thinking "what''s EC?", though I''ve now deciphered that to mean "emerald cut" in most cases, hehe.

I was told when I was at the Natural Sapphire Company, that padparadscha is pronounced in a way that rhymes with "Maharajah".

(Also some people sometimes use NSC for Natural Sapphire Company).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let''s not even start with the abbreviations for all the cutters.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results