shape
carat
color
clarity

What colored stone would yet set in this mount?

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I find myself with this semi mount since I set my OEC into an authentic art deco setting. Now, I can sell this mount or I can set a colored stone in it. The mount takes a .50 to a .75 carat diamond so I would have to find the equivalent in a gem stone.
Ideas welcomed. I am on a budget, so links to great budget stones would be awesome!
.image_1198.jpgimage_1228.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Any bright-colored stone would look super in that setting. Pinkish red -- maybe a garnet? Amethyst? Those are good budget stones. A .50 to .75 diamond would be 5.2 to 5.9 mm, so it wouldn't blow your wallet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you wrote that it takes a 0.5 ct to 0.75 ct diamond, did you mean a MRB or OEC? The two types will have different L x W and knowing the mm measurements will be more accurate, rather than go by carat weight. Will this be an occasional wear ring? Also, can you define "budget stone"? Do you mean $100? $300? $500? Are you particular about treatment? Colour?

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1397650457|3654276 said:
When you wrote that it takes a 0.5 ct to 0.75 ct diamond, did you mean a MRB or OEC? The two types will have different L x W and knowing the mm measurements will be more accurate, rather than go by carat weight. Will this be an occasional wear ring? Also, can you define "budget stone"? Do you mean $100? $300? $500? Are you particular about treatment? Colour?
Budget is 100 dollars. My previous oec measured 5.8 mm. This's will be a rhr that I will wear occasionally. I think a pink sapphire will look gorgeous but it is out of my price range. I was quoted 700 dollars for one and idk if I will get enough wear out of it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
braga123|1397662807|3654366 said:
Chrono|1397650457|3654276 said:
Budget is 100 dollars. My previous oec measured 5.8 mm. This's will be a rhr that I will wear occasionally. I think a pink sapphire will look gorgeous but it is out of my price range. I was quoted 700 dollars for one and idk if I will get enough wear out of it.

A diffused one will be much less, and you can find those all over ebay, and at gem shows, etc. . .

On a budget of $100, you might want to consider a treated gem.

I think a bright saturated color would look great in there, unless you prefer a stone to look more greyish or brownish, which white metal tends to do on stones of lesser saturation. Some people like the coolness of grey in cool colored gems. In that case, you have more options.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Braga.
You have two things going against you:
1. Budget
2. Size and shape

The smaller the stone, the harder it is to get a darker pink or any gem with strong saturation. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you are not going to get a round pink like that for $100 unless you are willing to accept a diffused pink sapphire. :(sad

These are not pink though.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?2001299613
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-106229498

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Zircon, like one of the stones Chrono linked, is a great option and it's very sparkly - but not pink.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could go with pink tourmaline too, but the problem is that the stone is rather high up, and more able to get chipped, hence a durable stone would be a better option.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If the color of the Multicolour Mali that Chrono linked to is accurate, it would look stunning in that ring. Yellow gems with white diamonds are one of my favorite combinations -- so much that I had our last house (far from a diamond, even in the rough!) painted yellow with white trim. :) I agree that a saturated pink will be hard to do in that size on that budget. Maybe a pink zircon but it would probably have brown secondary & you still run into zircon's lack of durability -- acceptable if you are careful with a ring you don't wear often.

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results