shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you working on? What are your plans?

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
It's been a while since I saw a thread on everyone's current list. (Sorry if I just missed it somehow.) So I thought it would be fun to see what everyone has going on.

I'll be back in a bit to share mine.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The setting and the lavender Mahenge from Barry.

The Breast Cancer ring.

Figuring out settings for the other 100 stones I have sitting around (ok, not that many really, but sometimes it feels like it!).

A Kate Spade purse. (What?! It's got 14kt gold plated accents! It TOTALLY counts as jewelry!)

MVC-042Sg.jpg

Ring setting.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, Freke, thats going to be gorgeous.

Not in this order:

1) Argentium (maybe) bezel setting with yg lining for my Montana sapphire from Dana... eventually.

2) Find a CS (purple spinel or maybe yellow sapphire or mali or merelani garnet) for the below setting as a present for my future mother in law. The setting is her great-aunt's and its what my ering diamond comes from.

3) Set my Barry garnet as a present for my mom. Still no idea how.

4) Not CS but custom ering project with jBEG with the OEC from this setting!

IMG_3217 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3211 - Copy.JPG

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I'm currently working on getting my sapphire certified by AGL (I had some questions and am waiting to hear a reply from them) then getting it set into either a 4-prong setting from DanielM like this one: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/33477398 or a lotus setting from Sally. If I go with the lotus setting, I might ask if she can do a 5-prong ring instead of 4. My idea's based off of this 6-prong one I saw in her sold items: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/44020053 Still not sure if I should go with 14kt white gold or rose gold.

sapphire_sunlight 003.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Currently being set:

peach tourmaline from Lisa Elser by danielm in Argentium in the same U-prong setting as Xiriah linked

minty asscher tourmaline from Jeff White is being set in Argentium and rose gold by Julia (this is the one I'm waiting on my tax refund to pay for...hurry up IRS!)

short-term wish list (not really in any order except the first one which is what I plan to buy next):
  • one of Doug's sapphires - not sure if I will set it right away or if I will start saving for another stone from Lisa that I've got my eye on
  • said stone from Lisa - this may not happen because it's expensive (for me) and I may end up doing other things
  • a rubellite from Bob Kast
  • a 5mm ruby to go with my peridot from Doug into a stacking ring project
  • round stones of various colors and sizes for a different stacking ring project

long-term wish list (again not really in any order):
  • tsavorite
  • malaya garnet
  • indicolite
  • amethyst (probably 4 peaks)
  • OMC
  • opal earrings
  • CS earrings
  • CS pendants
  • lots of colored and non-colored stacking bands

6.3mm square peach tourmaline_lisa elser (2)_small.jpg

6.2mm asscher mint tourmaline_jeff white (4)_small.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love that setting Freke, nice vintage feel :love: And Lavatea, that is some list!!!! Where to start? ( that peach tourmaline :love: )I just have three things in the works, Michael E has my montana sapphire from Dana right now and I should be hearing something this week, I am sooooo excited!!! And next when this is done will be a search for a peridot for either a ring or a charm for my gold charm bracelet and then I have a ring from logr with a cushion peridot in it that I am not in love with, it is a nice bright green but I think I like the more olive moody stones with a little more personality and the setting is very nice so I need a new stone for it, not a peridot but maybe something else? My compulsive / obsessive self does not like having unfinished projects which is good because it keeps my collecting in check. :loopy:

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I actually have a question for Freke. You get second hand settings, right? Where do you find them? Are there safe places on the net? I love the look of vintage settings. And I think it would be neater to have actual vintage vs. reproductions, though I'm not above getting repros.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
lavatea|1300042463|2870837 said:
I actually have a question for Freke. You get second hand settings, right? Where do you find them? Are there safe places on the net? I love the look of vintage settings. And I think it would be neater to have actual vintage vs. reproductions, though I'm not above getting repros.
Well this one is being made by Daniel M, which is how I've been going lately since gold is atrocious, but also because vintage/used settings are few and far between. I tend to get them from a place we can't talk about here because it's connected to another forum. And it's doubly frowned upon because the site it's (the forum AND the selling site) connected to sells synthetics.

How is that for being vague?

Anyway, I have bought several there, but it's always a gamble (crapshoot?) because it isn't really moderated that closely and sometimes it's really a game of trust. Having said that, I've never had a bad experience there (minus someone using up way too much of my time with a "Can I do payments? And can I have a reduced price? And 15 other things?" I ended up not selling it to her.) and I've managed to get a lot of beautiful items at way reduced prices. AND I've managed to snag a few stones I never thought I'd see again, and THAT is probably the best part!

I've heard Ebay is a good way to find them as well, and my secret is definitely...wait for it....pawn shops! Cheap stones (or expensive ones!) in old settings for HUGELY reduced prices!

I like deals, what can I say?

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I hadn't thought about that site. Thanks for the tip.

I guess I should be shopping pawn shops, too. Lol. Need to save a couple hundred first I guess, though.

hannaht

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone -

I'm fairly new here and I hope you don't mind my jumping into this conversation. I have these projects underway:

I would like to have a neon green tourmaline oval and two small spessertites set into an Etruscan style ring, but I'm looking for a goldsmith that does that type of work. Any suggestions?

I have a mahenge oval, a square cushion melani mint, and a blue round spinel I would like set into a pendant, but first I need to pay for the

Asscher cut pink spinel from Jeff White that should be shipped this week;

And my next purchase will be a Tanzanite, but probably after the above projects are completed.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1300035752|2870786 said:

The Breast Cancer ring.

Figuring out settings for the other 100 stones I have sitting around (ok, not that many really, but sometimes it feels like it!).

A Kate Spade purse. (What?! It's got 14kt gold plated accents! It TOTALLY counts as jewelry!)

I like that lavender pink spinel a lot!! Very pretty and very feminine. Why do I always miss out on Barry's stones. :knockout: ;(

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1300043628|2870853 said:
pawn shops! Cheap stones (or expensive ones!) in old settings for HUGELY reduced prices!

I like deals, what can I say?

Pawn shops are a good idea. I saw a massive rubellite in a huge gold setting with giant baguettes for $1300, and I'm sure they would probably take offers. I have to shop pawn shops more, especially since I'm addicted to "Pawn Stars" and that place has tons of jewelry. I wish they would show more of it instead of someone's grimy old corn shucker.

You do know how to find great settings at great prices Freke!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate threads like these because they stress me out when I think what I've got to do! It's a bit like planning the shopping and housework! :o

Well, there are 3 major items I need to complete with a million smaller ones waiting in the wings!

1. Set my avatar stone into a setting. I've got my eye on one.
2. Actually get my coloured diamond bracelet designed and finished (probably in June)
3. Inspired by TL, get my coloured diamond ring finished. I've been threatening to do this for about 2 years and ......... :rolleyes:

That's it for now but it's still stressful!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1300046764|2870892 said:

The Breast Cancer ring.

I like that lavender pink spinel a lot!! Very pretty and very feminine. Why do I always miss out on Barry's stones. :knockout: ;(
If it makes you feel any better, this one was never on the site--he cut it specifically for me. I wanted lavender!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1300048125|2870909 said:

The Breast Cancer ring.

If it makes you feel any better, this one was never on the site--he cut it specifically for me. I wanted lavender!

That doesn't make me feel better because he cut it especially for you. He doesn't cut stones especially for me. *wahhh!!* (where's my pacifier when I need it?).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1300048204|2870911 said:
FrekeChild|1300048125|2870909 said:

The Breast Cancer ring.

That doesn't make me feel better because he cut it especially for you. He doesn't cut stones especially for me. *wahhh!!* (where's my pacifier when I need it?).
Now the question is, have you asked him?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1300048945|2870915 said:

A very long time ago, I would ask, "do you have this or that," and he would sway me away from most things as he thought I might not like the color. He is very honest that way, and I appreciate it very much. I also think he likes to list most of his stones on his site to give everyone a chance at them. I haven't thought to ask for a pink lavender spinel though. Besides, I'm sure everyone asks him for the same stones, as yours now will become "the one" everyone now asks for. Therefore, I have to compete with everyone, which doesn't make it easy for Barry, nor me, but that's okay. That color is generally more difficult to find in my experience, as most pink spinels I've seen for sale have an orange secondary.

Is it Tanzanian?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1300049517|2870921 said:

A very long time ago, I would ask, "do you have this or that," and he would sway me away from most things as he thought I might not like the color. He is very honest that way, and I appreciate it very much. I also think he likes to list most of his stones on his site to give everyone a chance at them. I haven't thought to ask for a pink lavender spinel though. Besides, I'm sure everyone asks him for the same stones, as yours now will become "the one" everyone now asks for. Therefore, I have to compete with everyone, which doesn't make it easy for Barry, nor me, but that's okay. That color is generally more difficult to find in my experience, as most pink spinels I've seen for sale have an orange secondary.

Is it Tanzanian?
It's from Mahenge, so yes.

And he does like to post his stones to ACS. Remember Big Blue? He talked about it in the newsletter, I BEGGED for him to sell it to me. BEGGED. And pleaded. And begged some more. He wouldn't sell it to me.

So I stalked the website--had nightmares about sleeping in and missing it, etc. But I got it!

And I know what you mean. I hate to bug him....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1300049792|2870924 said:

Is it Tanzanian?

And he does like to post his stones to ACS. Remember Big Blue? He talked about it in the newsletter, I BEGGED for him to sell it to me. BEGGED. And pleaded. And begged some more. He wouldn't sell it to me.

So I stalked the website--had nightmares about sleeping in and missing it, etc. But I got it!

I honestly think you got big blue because

1) It was higher priced than his average price, which is a deterrent for many people (but it was well worth the price)
2) You are good at typing fast during check out, and stalking his site!! ;))

I will say it was nice of him to give everyone a fair chance at big blue, but I'm glad you got it as you took lots of great photos of it to share. Seeing a variety of beautiful stones on this site, that are well photographed, is not only eye candy, but very educational to people that collect them or want to learn more about them. Therefore, I'm always very happy when someone gets a nice stone and they take lots of great photos of it. :))

Congrats on the new stone!! Looking forward to lots of pics! ;))

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I had my 7 ct Dana cut aquamarine set into sterling for a pearl bracelet. I just picked this up two days ago.

At the same time I dropped off this peacock Tahitian pearl and a pair of green zircons from Barry to be set into a ring. We brainstormed and are planning on a Lotus setting in silver for the pearl, and the zircons will be half-bezel set as sidestones, I'm thinking as sort of a leaf motif. The jeweler is working on this right now.

I'd like to get this 15 ct Richard Homer citrine briolette set soon, probably like the amethyst briolettes.

RichardHomerBrios1741.jpg

Pearl1803.jpg

Bracelet in box_1893.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1300050309|2870928 said:
FrekeChild|1300049792|2870924 said:

Is it Tanzanian?

I honestly think you got big blue because

1) It was higher priced than his average price, which is a deterrent for many people (but it was well worth the price)
2) You are good at typing fast during check out, and stalking his site!! ;))

I will say it was nice of him to give everyone a fair chance at big blue, but I'm glad you got it as you took lots of great photos of it to share. Seeing a variety of beautiful stones on this site, that are well photographed, is not only eye candy, but very educational to people that collect them or want to learn more about them. Therefore, I'm always very happy when someone gets a nice stone and they take lots of great photos of it. :))

Congrats on the new stone!! Looking forward to lots of pics! ;))
I should take more pics of Big Blue. It's been a while. Plus, I got a new camera!

ETA: And I'm totally ok with being a good stalker!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1300052724|2870952 said:
I had my 7 ct Dana cut aquamarine set into sterling for a pearl bracelet. I just picked this up two days ago.

At the same time I dropped off this peacock Tahitian pearl and a pair of green zircons from Barry to be set into a ring. We brainstormed and are planning on a Lotus setting in silver for the pearl, and the zircons will be half-bezel set as sidestones, I'm thinking as sort of a leaf motif. The jeweler is working on this right now.

I'd like to get this 15 ct Richard Homer citrine briolette set soon, probably like the amethyst briolettes.

Wow, Fly Girl I love the bracelet. And I have to say that the pearl and green zircons are going to make one unique and very beautiful ring! What a cool idea! And of course who wouldn't love the citrine briolette.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooo I LOVE that pearl / Aquamarine bracelet !!!!!!!!!!!!
Gaaaaaahhhhhhh, I NEEED one like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Also, I am just loving briolette's lately, I need to pick one up!
I bet it would be fun to photograph !

I have a stone with Michael E right now,
and plans for a JKT this Fall.....
That's it.

I went on a bit of a spree last Fall and I need to save a bit, now :oops:

ETA ::: Freke, you got a new camera !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1300052724|2870952 said:

OMG!! I LOVE that pearl!! :love:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My round yellow chrysoberyl from Barry is on its way to Chris at myheartmonster to be set in a two tone meshing of two semi bezels that I like.

Sally is going to be doing a kite set lotus for my pink tourm asscher and my supernovas for the three stone are probably going to go to DM for a simple two tone n/s setting.

Should be getting the purple spinel supernova from Barry this week sometime. Fingers crossed for today but I'm not sure. I want to get that set this year, but I've not figured out how yet.

And I want to get my green tourm cushion from Barry set..that setting is picked out already but it's yellow gold so will take a while to afford it.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I just finished what was supposed to be a toe ring with tanzanites. Unfortunately the Tanz kept trying to crack so the guy I was working with put diamonds in instead!!! I'll be putting pictures in SMTB tonight or tomorrow.

Plans:

I have a wg ring with a princess head in it just hanging out at home that I'm thinking of getting something pink or red to put into. Thoughts appreciated. I'd need to stay under $200 on that stone.

I'm looking for a pair of stones that look appealing to turn into earrings. I'm thinking Tanzanite, Amethyst, or something blue/ocean green. Under 1 ctw.

I'[m also keeping an eye out for asschers I like. I'd like to have a mini color collection of them.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
dragonfly411|1300122448|2871440 said:
I just finished what was supposed to be a toe ring with tanzanites. Unfortunately the Tanz kept trying to crack so the guy I was working with put diamonds in instead!!! I'll be putting pictures in SMTB tonight or tomorrow.

Plans:

I have a wg ring with a princess head in it just hanging out at home that I'm thinking of getting something pink or red to put into. Thoughts appreciated. I'd need to stay under $200 on that stone.

I'm looking for a pair of stones that look appealing to turn into earrings. I'm thinking Tanzanite, Amethyst, or something blue/ocean green. Under 1 ctw.

I'[m also keeping an eye out for asschers I like. I'd like to have a mini color collection of them.

This is a long-term wish of mine as well. Bob Kast has an interesting asscher right now. Looks perhaps a little dark, but I've never seen one of his stones in person to compare the pictures with the real thing. If I had the budget, I'd swoop it up, at least to consider it in person.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Cindy, oooShiney and TL. oooShiney, I just want to direct your attention to three threads in Pearls about the aqua and pearl bracelet. It was inspired by one worn by Princess Diana. Two threads have "Diana Bracelet" in the topic, and the third is Sarahbear's Topaz and Pearl bracelet. Enjoy the pictures! :wavey:

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
my plans with my limited budget, for this year include:

4-5 mm blue zircon martini earrings (for me)
A blue topaz necklace for my mother... I picked up a dark blue checkerboard at a gem show.

and, if I can somehow pull it off, a gemstone version of this mobius strip necklace.
silver-mobius-strip.jpg
with maybe 6 or 8 2 mm melee gemstones set along the flat side and no writing. I'll try to photoshop something that shows what I mean

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1300047772|2870905 said:
I hate threads like these because they stress me out when I think what I've got to do! It's a bit like planning the shopping and housework! :o

Well, there are 3 major items I need to complete with a million smaller ones waiting in the wings!

1. Set my avatar stone into a setting. I've got my eye on one.
2. Actually get my coloured diamond bracelet designed and finished (probably in June)
3. Inspired by TL, get my coloured diamond ring finished. I've been threatening to do this for about 2 years and ......... :rolleyes:

That's it for now but it's still stressful!

LD -

What is your yummy avatar gemstone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results