shape
carat
color
clarity

update on my graduation ring from JKT

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I'm way behind the original time line I had set for this project, but Julia and I are finally working toward getting my ring finished. Here's my stone's thread.

Julia sent me a couple of sketches today. What do you guys think? I've asked for a side view of the first sketch. And I've also asked her to draw something a little bit different as well. **sketch removed by moderator at OP's request**

She suggests either yellow gold, green gold, or a two-tone with Argentium silver for the shank. I'm fine with the silver if I have to use it for cost savings, but I'm scared to use it b/c of how banged up the silver's going to get. This will be a frequently worn ring. I was thinking rose gold for the bezels. She didn't mention rose gold at all so I'm wondering if that color looks different in real life than what I'm seeing in my head.

The side stones shown in this sketch will either be this very pale chrysoberyl and its sister or two diamonds sourced by Julia.

I gave her a list of thoughts I've written down so I'm curious to see how she will incorporate those things. I just hope I don't make her mad. I feel like I'm being a little picky or something, and she's such an artist that I feel bad asking her to change her designs in any way. But I really want to be ecstatic with the final piece.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear your input b/c you guys will undoubtedly come up with something that hasn't crossed my mind.

chrysoberyl up close.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I don't want to be rude, or the OCD-Police or anything, but did you ask for permission to post Julia's sketches?

With my recent project, she pointed out her policy of no sketch/in-progress pics posting . . . and then reminded me of it about three or four more times in the course of the process. I felt a little chastised, and sort of paranoid -- "did I sleepwalk and post the sketches somewhere???" LOL.

You mentioned hoping to not make her mad . . . Julia's really easygoing about changes and suggestions to her designs (at least, that's been my experience), but I WOULD worry that posting her sketches without a go-ahead might make her peeved.

Don't mean to butt in -- if she gave the ok, then disregard this! The asscher and design so far are lovely.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Crap, no I didn't realize it was a problem. I see her sketches on here all of the time and didn't even think to check her policies. I'll ask admin to take it down.

I did get a reply back from her. Will update in a while after the design sketch is down.

Thanks for the heads up.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, mods, for removing that. I didn't want to upset Julia.

So apparently rose gold looked bad with the chrysoberyls. I really think that rose gold would bring out the best in my stone, so I'll either scratch side stones altogether or use tiny diamonds. Not sure yet.

And...an all gold ring is out of my budget. I'm really nervous about using the silver, though. I may try to do some tax refund finagling and pay myself my monthly fun money early in order to stretch the budget. I don't know. Is Argentium any more scratch resistant than regular sterling? The sterling ring I've been wearing for 3+ years (almost daily) is pretty beat up, and I'd hate to see one of Julia's beautiful pieces end up like that.

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade
my argentium silver ring is as scratched up as my regular 925 ones...
only difference seems to be that it hasn't tarnished so i haven't had to clean it :p

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results