shape
carat
color
clarity

Unheated bicolour sapphire: setting ideas? help!

Candice

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I bought an unheated sapphire that is bicoloured and a little bit different. I'm going to be making a ring for my sister and I need some setting ideas.
all I know is that she would want it set as low as possible, and probably want the stone set east -west instead of north -south, also white gold is what she would prefer.

she's not normally a sparkely kind of girl but her tastes are changing and she is starting to like some of my rings with diamond halos and diamond settings. so perhaps something with a diamond halo but plain band?

if anyone has anything saved in their idea folders or a ring that fits this criteria I would love to see it so I can use it as inspiration for my sisters ring.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370451925564&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
the dimensions of her sapphire are 7.2 x 5.7 x 2.6mm (I know its shallow)

thanks in advance =)

Candice

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Candice - do you have the stone yet? If not, I would urge you to wait until it arrives. I've had a couple of very unpleasant experiences with that seller and my stones looked absolutely nothing like advertised. I do hope that he's pulled his socks up and is now representing his gems accurately and I don't want to worry you but would urge caution. Interestingly both of mine were bi-coloured sapphires also.

In terms of settings, the shallowness is causing a rather large window so if you can find a setting with an enclosed basket that would help the colour to return to the eye and minimise the window.

Candice

Shiny_Rock
Hi Loving diamonds,
yes I have the stone and it is accurately described. I know there is a window and an enclosed setting should help it but in all honesty my sister knows nothing about jewellery and would not notice a window...she'll just appreciate the funky colours and pattern of the sapphire :cheeky:

her style is very simple (kind of hipsterish) skinny jeans, flannel shirts, page boy caps etc. so her jewellery has always been a reflection of that. simple in design if its fine jewellery. always low set she hates anything high on her finger. so I need to find a setting that is as low as possible. and I thought setting it east-west would make it more modern too.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm relieved and very pleased for you. Your sister will love it because as you say bi-colour sapphires are so interesting!

I hope you find a great setting. There are tons to choose from. Have you looked at LOGR and Lanbo on Ebay?

Candice

Shiny_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1290875884|2780366 said:
I'm relieved and very pleased for you. Your sister will love it because as you say bi-colour sapphires are so interesting!

I hope you find a great setting. There are tons to choose from. Have you looked at LOGR and Lanbo on Ebay?
I have checked out LOGR...ugh he has nothing right now.
i'll take a look an lanbo now.
i have also checked out jeweleryhoo. he has a few settings I might be able to customise by having the head changed to east-west set. and also having the ring lowered so its not as high off the finger.
thanks for the help lovingdiamonds! and yes I think she'll appreciate the unique qualities of a bi coloured sapphire its very "her" lol

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm relieved that you are aware of and accept all the faults that we normally advice against. I am not that great with settings but I second the suggestion of Lanbo for something inexpensive, yet decent looking. LOGR seems extremely limited and their auctions seem to end quite high these days.

Candice

Shiny_Rock
thanks chrono, this sapphire is not something I would want for myself, but my sister likes the odd and slightly off kilter items. so this sapphire fits her personality well. she will look at it and think how cool it is, whereas I look at it and know its not for me! but this is her present...not mine!
I will contact lanbo as well as jeweleryhoo and see what can be done. in the meantime does anyone have any east west setting pictures they are willing to share for a visual starting point?

thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not for a cushion but it's rectangular and set east west. I think there are other PSers who've something similar but with a coloured stone (blue sapphire, IIRC). It is also extremely low set and you might be able to have your local jeweller source this because I've seen some similar generics around.
75pointECChrono.jpg

Candice

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the picture chrono....but all i can stare at in that pic is the juicy stone beside the ring!! what is that chrysoberyl? its like electric neon lemonade lol

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks; yes, it's a chrysoberyl. I took that picture a while back with the intention of photographing the chrysoberyl but since my emerald cut diamond was in the picture too, it's an added bonus which I can use as an example picture. :bigsmile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Candice I think jeweleryhoo and lanbo are the same people!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results