shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite loose stone purchase...is it a true tsavorite?

Papillion

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a fairly large (over 2.5 carats) tsavorite gemstone from a well known dealer (in the loose stone world) who has a website and I believe a brick and mortar office in New York and has been represented on Pricescope as reputable but a little overpriced. They had a sale, and I went ahead and bought the stone because it was nice looking in appearance and was the exact size and cut that I was looking for...a fairly difficult one to find.

I am happy with the stone's appearance, but before I have it set, should I have it tested by a GIA lab? I've been reading that chrome tourmaline can easily be misrepresented as a tsavorite and that even gem experts cannot tell the difference by sight. I'm concerned mostly because if it is tourmaline, not only was I cheated on the price, but I plan to wear it often, and tourmaline is slightly less durable.

What would be your recommendation?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your options are either AGL ($55 brief) or having a gemmologist check it out. Not knowing the vendor, I cannot say if it is necessary or not.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this may be awkward to ask, but I am curious as to why you didn't take this up with the vendor when you purchased it.

For future reference, and for others new to buying stones, most vendors will honor a request for a report from a reputable lab such as GIA and AGL. If they don't already have a report from a reputable lab, they should be willing to send it out and condition the sale on it coming back as represented. You would likely have to pay for the report, unless the stone turns out to be other than as represented, in which case you would also get a refund for the stone.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would think tsavorite and chrome tourmaline to be pretty much equal in hardness and durability, with the tourmaline being perhaps slightly, but insignificantly, more durable

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1355247224|3328578 said:
Not knowing the vendor, I cannot say if it is necessary or not.

I have a guess as to the vendor!

And is chrome tourmaline REALLY as pretty as tsavorite? If so, I may need to go find one for myself. I just can't believe it would be as sparkly. The tsavorites I have are all super-duper sparkle bombs but the tourmalines... not so much, even the prettiest ones. Experts, weigh in!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distracts,
I'm with you on the higher RI of a tsavorite over a chrome tourmaline. I do have a decent guess as to the vendor, but again, it is only a guess until verified.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It is time for pictures.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Papillion

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, I noticed later on the website that they would have sent me a lab report, but I would have had to pay for the cost. They don't provide it for free. Would have saved me the hassle of mailing it myself, though. I'm a real newbie at buying loose stones, so this is perhaps a good thing to remind newcomers on Pricescope.

Here's the photo of it that was on their website. It has a lot more sparkle in person and has more of a bluish-green color tone.

tsavorite-3733-image.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Papillion,
Most vendors are more than willing to send the stone out to the lab of your choice at your cost. If you had started a thread prior to your purchase, I am sure many PSers would have advised you accordingly to have the vendor send it out for you. Not all stones require paperwork. If it is from PI, then I do not think it necessary.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
That said, this is an expensive stone. Some here, as a rule of thumb, get lab reports for stones costing over a thousand dollars. For this stone I would want a lab report.
Do you love it? Is it everything you wanted it to be? If not, are you within the return time? Is there any reason you have doubts about it being tsavorite?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,
Is it just for the buyer's peace of mind? I have many stones that cost more than $1K without lab memos, mostly spinels and garnets. That said, they were all purchased from CS vetted vendors and none of the gem types are treated, with simulants and synthetics easy to spot. The only ones with lab reports are my corundum (for treatment) and one cobalt spinel (to verify that it is coloured by cobalt). The questions you asked the OP are good ones and I would ask the same.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Yes for her piece of mind. She has articulated some concerns.
I confess, I have no lab reports. Not that I wouldnt, but I have only a few high end cut stones and all my cut stones were from reputable cs vendors.

Papillion

Rough_Rock
I'm past the return time, but if it was proven to be a fake, I would certainly challenge them on it and dispute it on my credit card. I guess it's just my own paranoia after reading that chrome tourmalines are so similar and my own unfamiliarity with stones that got me to thinking about it. I also want to insure the ring that it's going to be set in and and insure it during the setting process, so I'm sure it's necessary for that. Just my own inexperience. I'm sure it will turn out to be as it was represented. The vendor is Paraiba International.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For insurance purposes, I'd definitely have an AGL brief to back up the appraisal.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I am confident that the vendor knows garnet from tourmaline. and would not represent one as the other.
It is a pretty stone. The video was much nicer than the still photo. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

This forum is much more useful though if you come here before you buy. When you are buying another stone let us help you find the biggest bang for your dollars, and in the mean time just hang out and watch the parade of stones. But do come back with pictures of the finished ring!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Telling them apart is a trivial thing and it's easily done without gemological instruments. I'm sure the dealer would have been happy to explain the process had he been asked.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Judging from the source I have no doubt the vendors would be able to distinguish between tsavorite and tourmaline (other than color they differ in numerous respects). But judging how much you paid for the stone, an additional $55 should be worth it from a peace of mind standpoint. If you know it's exact dimensions and weight you may also be able to distinguish.

ps - do not go to a jewelry store and ask someone to evaluate the stone (what stone, whether it is natural or synthetic). While some stores may have pretty good working knowledge of diamonds, many of them are rather ignorant about colored stones, would trust that information for as much money you paid for it.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
That color is mouthwatering. :love: :love: :love:

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
look sideways into the stone and if its a different color in the different direction then its probably tourmaline, it should appear a dark green I believe
If its Tsavorite it will appear the same green color in all directions as its not pleochroism , no gemological tools are needed for this quick and easy test.
Its also a great way of separating ruby from spinel quicky.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is 2 years old and I don't think the OP has been back since. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results