shape
carat
color
clarity

Traditional sapphire heat treatment

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
It is now quite a long time that I visit regularly pricescope "colored stones" forum and I've seen that few people had a clear vision of what heat treatment consist (Don't be ashamed, as it is the same for my gemology students in Bangkok). So on my last trip to Pailin Cambodia where I use to bring many of my "synthethic and treated gemstones" class on field trip, I was able last time to make them witness the heat treatment of the sapphires I've bought the trip before. I bought these Pailin sapphires in one mine there in order to photographs their inclusions before and after treatment to illustrate my teaching.
If you are interested to see how heat treatment was performed few years ago in Thailand and is still performed in Cambodia, do not hesitate to visit the following link as I just upload a slide show on the subject:
heat treatment slide show
You can also find some inclusion photographs in heated and unheated gems at the following link:
gem inclusions gallery
I will add within a few days all the photos from the sapphire heated during the operation I invite you to witness.

You can also find 2 photo collections of the 3 last field trips I did with my students from AIGS to visit the sapphire mines near Pailin: (3 pages)
AIGS Pailin mining area photo gallery
and a photo report on a 2 days jungle trek we had to visit some Burmese miners mining for sapphires on the top of a volcano deep into the Cambodian jungle:
Sapphire mines in the deep of Cambodian jungle

Hoping that you will enjoy this e-field trip!

All the best,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome! Thank you

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thank you for posting these pictures! Absolutely facinating stuff. I have a new appreciation for sapphires!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Mogok - I found these slide shows to be very informative. Thank you.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Mogok, Thanks for meeting with me in Bangkok. School is very impressive. Good luck with the tour idea. See you in a few months.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
Thanks to all of you for these nice words and for your visit on AIGS website...
It is very motivating for me to continue to improve it and make it interesting and attractive.
All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results