shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany's and gemstones

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So I received a set of Tiffany pearl earrings as a wedding gift which are beautiful. I went onto their website to find out what kind of pearls they take....I swear this is about gemstones too. Well, after lots of searching, I found this PDF file burried at the bottom of one of their articles. It lists all the gemstones they sell and all the treatments they accecpt. I was pretty shocked at what I saw and thought I would share....

Bottom line, my pearls are probably died and bleached :(( . But I still love them because my husband gave them to me the night before our wedding and they are perfect for my skin tone.

If someone has already posted this, than I apologize in advance.

http://www.tiffany.com/shared/pdfs/carebooklet.pdf?v=2010

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I was looking into buying a pink sapphire ring from Tiffany's once for my e-ring and am not cool with the treatments they undergo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the link. So sad to see a high end store like Tiffany accept diffusion and lead glass filling in their sapphires.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

For the longest time, I've tried to find that on their website, and I see it's conveniently hidden. They use several treatments, and yet they charge a fortune, and do not disclose individual treatments on their gems. Be careful buying any colored gem from them.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Enjoy your earrings. My husband gave me a pair of Tiffany pearl earrings many years ago, and they remain my favorite pair of earrings. I wear them at least once a week. I also have a lovely strand of Akoyas, and my mother's pearls. I know they are more valuable, but, as you said, the ones that your husband picked are special. I also agree about them matching skin tone. Mine have a slightly pinkish cast, though they just appear cream colored. I hope you will post a photo of them!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love some of their colored stone jewelery designs, but this is why I've never bought from them before. I just can't trust the treatments. And often times the sales people can't tell me anything about treatments either.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
OH MY GOD!!!! :shock: :-o :o

I came -this- close to buying a pair of emerald earrings from them, little specks at 3mm round, bezel set. I would usually never buy stones that small, but the color was amazing. (That was B4PS, so don't smite me.) Now I bet they were filled and oiled!

And I am SHOCKED :errrr: that they would dye their south seas pearls!!!! I will post this over in the pearl forum for sure.

:wavey: :wavey: IF YOU HAVE AN INTEREST IN PEARLS, PLEASE COME OVER TO THE PS PEARL THREAD, :wavey: :wavey:
We are so Bored over there! It is newer to PS, and it is tumbleweed, tumbleweed, cricket, cricket. :snore: We need pix, stories, and we're full of great info. Well, full of something anyway . . . :D

Now back to the CS part of this post: I knew Tiffany's was over-priced, but shysters too? :o

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It's shocking that this isn't so shocking. I doubt many of us would likely be buying a 2 carat fractured peridot in sterling ring for $600 from them anyway.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What gets me is that this is a company that clearly takes advantage of the naivety of their customers. People just do not know what they're buying, and they pay a huge markup for it. I know purses and other designer items are expensive, but at least you do know that you are getting some man made object (clothes, purses) and there's no secrets there. In terms of colored gems, how many people know their Tiffany sapphire is diffused, or their pearls dyed, or their tourmalines irradiated, and after all that money they spent. It reminds me of someone buying a Mercedes only to find that inside it has a Yugo engine.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This is just awful news. . .

First Santa Claus and now this . . .

If someone tells me that the Plaza Hotel rents hourly rooms to hookers, the Statue of Liberty wears a thong under her robe, and Central Park will be charging admission, then all my NYC icons will truly be dead . . . :((

I'm SO glad I never spent more than $300 at Tiffany's.

I knew their diamonds were junk (Costco has a higher standard!), but gemstones too? :nono:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I believe the statue of liberty wears un ficelle under the robe, Central park doesn't charge admission but you will pay $3 for a sports bottle of mineraly water once in the park (which may be cheaper than the stores!) and the Plaza has always rented to hookers.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILander: is there something I should know about Santa Claus?!! :errrr: :errrr:

This shocks me as well. I wonder what their answers would be if some trusting soul went in and asked after some stone or pearl something, would they disclose treatment?

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I mentioned my distaste for bleached and pinked pearls in the pearl forum and was met with some unhappy responses. Although the process is NOT acceptable to me (I only buy certified natural color/ unbleached/ unpinked pearls), most people seem to think it is perfectly accpetable. The fact that places like Tiffany & Co, and Mikimoto uses them is, FOR ME... outrageous.

In regards to gemstones... makes me want to stick to alexandrite :errrr: Ruby treatments are absolutely insane... So are Sapphire treatments. Scary that they are not always detectable, or that some labs do not have the technology to discover them...

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
soberguy said:
I mentioned my distaste for bleached and pinked pearls in the pearl forum and was met with some unhappy responses. Although the process is NOT acceptable to me (I only buy certified natural color/ unbleached/ unpinked pearls), most people seem to think it is perfectly accpetable. The fact that places like Tiffany & Co, and Mikimoto uses them is, FOR ME... outrageous.

In regards to gemstones... makes me want to stick to alexandrite :errrr: Ruby treatments are absolutely insane... So are Sapphire treatments. Scary that they are not always detectable, or that some labs do not have the technology to discover them...

Well, I the pearls are mine. I am not going to tell my husband about it, at least not right now. He would be crushed. He likes Tiffany's. I had to talk him out of getting my e-ring from there, but I bought his w-band from them because I knew that is what he wanted. He picked out the pearls himself, the luster is amazing. But they were just a little too perfect and that is what made me go searching. I still love them, and will wear them, but they are more like a segmental gift rather than something I would show off in my collection. I would love to find a matching necklace, but it won't be from Tiffany's and will be natural.

As for the gemstone treatment, my reaction was the same as most of the other's I read. I knew Tiffany's was downgrading their quality, but in my mind this has really caused me to loose any interest of ever buying a gemstone from them. Many of the treatments they say are "standard" are not treatments I find acceptable, and if I was looking at an individual stone, I would want treatments disclosed.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Pink Tower said:
Enjoy your earrings. My husband gave me a pair of Tiffany pearl earrings many years ago, and they remain my favorite pair of earrings. I wear them at least once a week. I also have a lovely strand of Akoyas, and my mother's pearls. I know they are more valuable, but, as you said, the ones that your husband picked are special. I also agree about them matching skin tone. Mine have a slightly pinkish cast, though they just appear cream colored. I hope you will post a photo of them!!!

Thank you. Your comments are always so sweet. I eventually will post a picture. I bought my BM's gifts from Pearl's Paradise and took pictures of those before giving them away, so I will probably post them together.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh. I bought my Elsa Peretti blue sapphire stacking band in January and they gave me one of these booklets with my purchase. Which I read from cover to cover. I'm obviously not really surprised and wasn't really surprised to read it then.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
It's fine that they disclose when you buy something, but it's sketchy that this info isn't really front and center for potential buyers. I had to really dig to discover that their treated sapphires weren't for me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LFirecracker,
I hope you'll post the pictures in the Pearl section. I understand the sentimentality and thoughts/feelings behind the gift and I'd love to be able to share in your happiness.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
LFirecracker,
I hope you'll post the pictures in the Pearl section. I understand the sentimentality and thoughts/feelings behind the gift and I'd love to be able to share in your happiness.

Thanks, they are really pretty and I will be over it by tomorrow. I thought I should share the webpage because it was hard to find, and I figured other people were wondering about this.

I think Pink Tower and I are pearl twins, her pearls sound almost exactly like mine.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I am shocked and appalled. I thought it was so damn expensive because they only used untreated stones!? :-o

iLander

Ideal_Rock
LtlFirecracker said:
Pink Tower said:

Thank you. Your comments are always so sweet. I eventually will post a picture. I bought my BM's gifts from Pearl's Paradise and took pictures of those before giving them away, so I will probably post them together.

Please post them in pearls and CS :wavey: We are really bored in pearls! :snore:

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
LtlFirecracker said:
Pink Tower said:

I almost didn't recognize you with your new avatar!
p.s. I've gotten a new sapphire while you were MIA. I need to update my thread.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Oiling is a totally acceptable treatment for emerald btw, even really high-end emeralds will be oiled.

For a start the miners will drop them straight in a bag of oil as they are found - then they will be reoiled in a vacuum later.

Re Bleaching - akoya pearls are almost universally bleached (ditto freshwater) and 'pinking' is also very common and can actually increase the value of the pearl. Given that it is standard practice to bleach pearls, the important thing is to ensure that they have been bleached properly in a way that doesn't damage the nacre - I would imagine that both Tiffany and Mikimoto are careful in this. So, please don't feel bad about your pearls - it doesn't lessen them in any way and it would have been pretty much impossible for your husband to buy you anything but.

Personally I don't accept diffusion, lead-filling or BE treatment etc but things like bleaching pearls or oiling emeralds are just givens - we may not like it, but that is just the way it is. Also with things like heat-treatment of sapphires etc no lab can guarantee that they haven't been heat treated, the best they can do is to state that they see 'no evidence of heat treatment' which is not the same thing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville said:
It's fine that they disclose when you buy something, but it's sketchy that this info isn't really front and center for potential buyers. I had to really dig to discover that their treated sapphires weren't for me.

And they don't come with lab reports. I think they only provide diamonds with an occasional GIA report, unless they give you an in-house report. For example, if you see a sapphire in that store, it won't have a lab report, so when buying at Tiffany, always assume the worst treatment on a gem because you have no information on that gem to tell you otherwise. Taking "their word" for it, or talking to their gemologist, is a conflict of interest.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Nashville said:

And they don't come with lab reports. I think they only provide diamonds with an occasional GIA report, unless they give you an in-house report. For example, if you see a sapphire in that store, it won't have a lab report, so when buying at Tiffany, always assume the worst treatment on a gem because you have no information on that gem to tell you otherwise. Taking "their word" for it, or talking to their gemologist, is a conflict of interest.

Yes, the lab report issue actually kept me from purchasing a sapphire from another well known vendor. If there's nothing to hide, why not spring for the unbiased reports? Heck, I'd even be ok if the treatments were at least included in the item's description.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville said:
tourmaline_lover said:
Nashville said:

Yes, the lab report issue actually kept me from purchasing a sapphire from another well known vendor. If there's nothing to hide, why not spring for the unbiased reports? Heck, I'd even be ok if the treatments were at least included in the item's description.

That's the problem, you're dealing with a well known vendor, who is also a very deceptive vendor. They thrive on a name they made for themselves many years ago, but did Audrey Hepburn wear dyed pearls??? :???: That's why even though a vendor has a "big name" in the biz, we need to hold them accountable. I linked to a report on Tiffany's deceptive practices with treatment that a television newsmagazine exposed. I need to find that link again.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Nashville said:
tourmaline_lover said:
Nashville said:

That's the problem, you're dealing with a well known vendor, who is also a very deceptive vendor. They thrive on a name they made for themselves many years ago, but did Audrey Hepburn wear dyed pearls??? :???: That's why even though a vendor has a "big name" in the biz, we need to hold them accountable. I linked to a report on Tiffany's deceptive practices with treatment that a television newsmagazine exposed. I need to find that link again.

I would guess 'yes she did', unless they were a strand of natural sea-pearls and worth hundreds of thousands. They were bleaching them in the 19th Century. I believe that bleaching and tinting with pink vegetable dye (which can't be detected) are acceptable treatments and do not need to be disclosed - irradiating (yes, they nuke pearls) and other forms of dyeing do need to be disclosed.

Even the Freshdama's that lots of PSers like are bleached.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Pandora :wavey: :wavey:

RE: a strand of natural sea-pearls and worth hundreds of thousands

Pearls are not that expensive anymore, not even South Seas. I just bought a SS strand from tahitianpearls.biz, for a couple thousand. I had them appraised by a GIA gemologist who took the pearls course and they are completely natural, no dye, no nothing. I have a post on it in the PS Pearls forum.

The hundreds of thousands may still apply to perfect round, luster, color, etc. (have you looked at the Mikimoto site lately, OMG!), but pretty dang close is not so pricey these days, if you know where to shop. Just like our fav colored stone vendors (you know we all pay pennies on the dollar as compared to jewelry store prices) there are less expensive pearl vendors.

BUT, to your point, the triple strand of pearls that Jackie O wore (eventually sold at Sothebys) were fake. :o :shock:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
iLander said:
Pandora :wavey: :wavey:

RE: a strand of natural sea-pearls and worth hundreds of thousands

Pearls are not that expensive anymore, not even South Seas. I just bought a SS strand from tahitianpearls.biz, for a couple thousand. I had them appraised by a GIA gemologist who took the pearls course and they are completely natural, no dye, no nothing. I have a post on it in the PS Pearls forum.

The hundreds of thousands may still apply to perfect round, luster, color, etc. (have you looked at the Mikimoto site lately, OMG!), but pretty dang close is not so pricey these days, if you know where to shop. Just like our fav colored stone vendors (you know we all pay pennies on the dollar as compared to jewelry store prices) there are less expensive pearl vendors.

BUT, to your point, the triple strand of pearls that Jackie O wore (eventually sold at Sothebys) were fake. :o :shock:

Maybe she bought them at Tiffany's! :lol:

The South Seas are the only ones that are not bleached and dyed (except the goldens) IIRC. Today you can pay reasonable prices, but I'm guessing back in AH's day you were looking at a fair sum for the sort of quality pearls she was wearing. Since she was more likely to be wearing Akoya's it's pretty certain that she would have been wearing bleached pearls.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid said:
I believe the statue of liberty wears un ficelle under the robe, Central park doesn't charge admission but you will pay $3 for a sports bottle of mineraly water once in the park (which may be cheaper than the stores!) and the Plaza has always rented to hookers.

OH NO, Vapid, there goes the PLAZA :-o :o

NEWS STORY:

The crowd at The Oak Room & Bar at the Plaza Hotel got a surprise last night when Lady Gaga showed up and performed.
The pop singer wore fishnet stockings and a cape made of hair, according to London’s Daily Mail.
:shock:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results