shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts about this sapphire?

pichu

Rough_Rock
Hello all!
I have been on an on-and-off sapphire search. In 2012, I was planning to get a sapphire and have it set as a ring. My husband gave me a budget of $10k. However, I was recently presented with an opportunity to buy a loose sapphire stone. It is a bit out of the budget at $16,000 though. Because of this, I was thinking perhaps I could just get the stone for now and set it at a much later time....and potentially sell some other items to free up more funds as needed.

Details:
5.04 ct
Measurements: 10.9 x 8.56 x 6.2
Has GRS certificate; unheated

I would appreciate your thoughts on this stone. Thank you!

natural_unheated_burmese_sapphire.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to tell from just one picture, but do you feel this pic is accurate for color and light play?

pichu

Rough_Rock
Hi Minousbijoux,
I am new to this process but let us say 'yes', the picture is accurate. Based on this one picture alone, what do you think about it?

Thanks!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't spend that on a stone without more photos -- unless the return policy is generous. Do you know what it is? The only way, of course, to tell is to see it in hand.

The color, to me, is gorgeous -- but it is on the purple side, if you like that. It looks a little dark -- that's why one photo isn't enough. You want to be sure it won't black out in low light. If you can get pics in outdoor & indoor lighting, it would help. The size is great, it's kind of a whopper. Can't tell a lot about the cutting; somebody else may be able to see more than I can.

Best wishes on your fabulous search!

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1371995271|3470882 said:
I wouldn't spend that on a stone without more photos -- unless the return policy is generous. Do you know what it is? The only way, of course, to tell is to see it in hand.

The color, to me, is gorgeous -- but it is on the purple side, if you like that. It looks a little dark -- that's why one photo isn't enough. You want to be sure it won't black out in low light. If you can get pics in outdoor & indoor lighting, it would help. The size is great, it's kind of a whopper. Can't tell a lot about the cutting; somebody else may be able to see more than I can.

Best wishes on your fabulous search!

--- Laurie

Laurie said it all really well. The color is gorgeous, but in the absence of other shots in various lighting, its hard to say whether this pic has been flooded with light and therefore the stone would be darker in most situations, or whether this is representative of the stone in most lighting. I love the stone - the shape, the color, the saturation. I would want to see other photos to rule out too much extinction (in this photo, the center is darker than the rest of the stone). I love the fact that its unheated, which makes it a pretty rare stone. As for the price, its a lot to pay, but then again, that's where the prices seem to be headed these days and its pretty hard to find a 5+ ct unheated stone for any price, so I don't honestly know how much negotiating room you'll have.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the price, I would not purchase it based on a single picture, no matter how great it looks. Without a reference background, I do not know how accurate the colour is.
1. Find out how long the return window is.
2. Is there a full refund should you return the sapphire?
3. Verify with GRS to make sure the report is real.
4. Ask for a hand shot and inquire about colour shifting indoors vs outdoors.
5. If all checks out, the next step is to view the stone in person.

pichu

Rough_Rock
Thank you, JewelFreak, minousbijoux, and Chrono for your helpful and thoughtful replies!

It seems that during my deliberation, the stone went home with someone. A small part of me wishes I just acted on it due to the simple 'rareness' of the stone (being a huge 5ct, untreated etc), but I guess I know in my heart it wasn't meant to be. Hubby seems relieved. Now it's back to looking for more "reasonable" stones, as he puts it. :saint:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorchange|1373277931|3478926 said:
Do GRS mention the origin as Burma, and is the seller willing to get origin confirmed by another lab (GIA, typically)? It matters a lot here. You also need to know if you are willing to put extra money for an origin, knowing that you'll find very beautiful blue sapphires from other origins, and they are worth less.

To me, an equally beautiful sapphire from a different origin isn't worth less. A poorly coloured sapphire from Burma should not cost more. In short, consumers should not give in to the brainwashing by some vendors that origin counts for more than the colour of the gemstone and perpetuate the higher prices they are asking for.

Pichu,
I am sorry that this one "got away" before you had the chance to make further inquiries but know that yours is just round the corner. Sometimes the right know shows up when least expected.

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1373285899|3478943 said:
To me, an equally beautiful sapphire from a different origin isn't worth less. A poorly coloured sapphire from Burma should not cost more. In short, consumers should not give in to the brainwashing by some vendors that origin counts for more than the colour of the gemstone and perpetuate the higher prices they are asking for.

Origin does matter in two things:
• Price. It’s no brainwashing. I don’t pay two equally beautiful sapphires/rubies the same price if they have different origins. There are many underlying reasons, good & bad, not really the subject here. Here, the price did apparently include a premium for origin, you need to check you are not paying a premium for nothing.
• Color consistency : three sapphires, typical from Mogok, Ceylon & Dodoma, that look the same under standard light will look very different under artificial light & sunlight. That is also what you are paying for.

Now of course, a bad Burma sapphire is worth a lot less than a good Sri Lanka. If you don't value origin, don't buy Burmese/Kashmir.

beacabgemsinc

Rough_Rock
It is a well taken picture. It is a perfect cut stone with dimensions, but it is hard to predict with a single pic. Hope so it will reach required fund level. :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results