shape
carat
color
clarity

This...

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I have always loved Jadeite and have been lucky to see a few great examples of it in my lifetime.
But this... this takes the cake and I have to say that if it were mine, I would never take it off.
huttonjadeite.jpg
This is the Hutton-Mdivani necklace, once given to Barbara Hutton as a wedding gift from her father, that is being auctioned off in Hong Kong through Sotheby's on April 7th. This baby is supposed to fetch over $12 million. As past auctions in HK featuring fine jadeite have shown, I am sure this will go for more. Any guesses as to how much more?? I'm guessing $18 million.

Oh to be wealthy...

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea the value but they look lovely - kind of like glowy green jelly! :love:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
that's just gorgeous!
I cannot believe how sharply jade prices have risen over the last 8-10 years!
I know this is an exceptional piece with a compelling provenance, but even the higher quality bangles are getting up there.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is beautiful, wow. I'd never take it off either -- and I'd get married as often as she did if I got something like that each time!

--- Laurie

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Jade: The rich person's Chrysoprase.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! The clasp looks underwhelming as is the length. I have to find fault because I could never afford it. :errrr:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
HOLY EFFBALLS! Dat glow!

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
lambskin|1392937853|3619647 said:
Wow! The clasp looks underwhelming as is the length. I have to find fault because I could never afford it. :errrr:

Too funny!
The ruby and diamond clasp was actually custom made by Cartier and at this angle, you cannot see the beauty of it. These are exceptional merely by size the of each individual bead alone (from 15mm to 19mm). With an estimate of $12.8 million, each bead would be roughly $475k!

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
VapidLapid|1392937140|3619629 said:
Jade: The rich person's Chrysoprase.

If only it were that simple... I do love me some fine chrysophrase beads, though!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, just wow. This necklace, along with other magnificent examples of Imperial Jade, are featured prominently in the book The Stone of Heaven: the Secret History of Imperial Green Jade. Its written by two ex British reporters, Adrian Levy and Cathy Scott-Clark and is an amazingly detailed and rich history of Jade. Amazing accounts of wars, pillaging, stockpiling, symbolism, craftsmanship, love affairs and photos taken from years of painstaking research they did on the history of the stone. If you are at all interested in it and can wade through a big book, it is a fascinating history.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
sphenequeen|1392939787|3619669 said:

Too funny!
The ruby and diamond clasp was actually custom made by Cartier and at this angle, you cannot see the beauty of it. These are exceptional merely by size the of each individual bead alone (from 15mm to 19mm). With an estimate of $12.8 million, each bead would be roughly $475k!

omg They're as big as................nutmeg!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm amazed at their evenness of colour, matching size and amazing translucency, more so at that huge size! :love: I don't suppose DH will buy this for me as a belated wedding gift?

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1392944646|3619726 said:
Oh wow, just wow. This necklace, along with other magnificent examples of Imperial Jade, are featured prominently in the book The Stone of Heaven: the Secret History of Imperial Green Jade. Its written by two ex British reporters, Adrian Levy and Cathy Scott-Clark and is an amazingly detailed and rich history of Jade. Amazing accounts of wars, pillaging, stockpiling, symbolism, craftsmanship, love affairs and photos taken from years of painstaking research they did on the history of the stone. If you are at all interested in it and can wade through a big book, it is a fascinating history.

Going to get this. Thanks for the info!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sphenequeen|1392939787|3619669 said:

Too funny!

It is interesting to see how the large size of the beads makes the picture very hard to judge. The necklace is probably around 46cms long (27 time the average 17mm size) or a little over 18 inches. Our eyes tend to scale the beads to a more usual size, making it seem much shorter.

Edward, other than the price tag, is there a reason why it can't be worn? I would certainly wear this beauty.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Edward Bristol|1392974325|3620007 said:
Mind-blowing quality. Trouble is, you can't wear it.

So curious as to why, considering I'm bidding on it. ;))

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Edward Bristol|1393057513|3620576 said:
Well, I would not leave the house with the GDP of Tanzania around my neck.

Such necks get cut off easily.

:lol: too funny.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Edward Bristol|1393057513|3620576 said:
Well, I would not leave the house with the GDP of Tanzania around my neck.

Such necks get cut off easily.

Truth!
But you know, this is not one of those stones that everyone understands... so there is a bit of inconspicuousness to it.
Basically, if I could afford it, I would take my chances! Oh, to dream...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Klewis for posting that!
I love the clasp and the color looks even better!
Which makes it all the more devastating.
Im having a terrible time finding strands of chrysoprase (prodded by this thread).
Does anyone here have maw sit sit, and if so can you tell us about it and maybe post a picture?

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I saw an image of Barbara Hutton wearing these (it was a black and white photo) and the beads are ENORMOUS (in a good way)! I seriously can't get over this piece and, honestly, I would be happy with one, piddly little bead. :naughty:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would wear it with an uzi

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1393109340|3620818 said:
*** Does anyone here have maw sit sit, and if so can you tell us about it and maybe post a picture?
Coach House in Montreal does not seem to have yet sold the maw-sit-sit bracelet that was featured on 1stDibs; for $65,000, it could be yours:
http://coachhouse.jewelry.1stdibs.com/item_details.php?id=166800

Multicolour Gems has maw-sit-sit in its inventory, but not of that caliber.

_65000.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I know multicolour has some, that is partly why I ask.
how does the stuff look, does it glow or does it look flat like malachite? How opaque is opaque? what are the criteria for judging? Glancing from the photos I see hardly a difference between the coach house beads and the multicolour, except for the $64,400.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
According to Google which led me to a Pinterest pic, this may be Barbara Hutton wearing the necklace above.

hutton.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Wikipedia says she was very generous, even to strangers.
I am sure she meant for me to have that necklace!

now I just need to find an uzi, perhaps ebay...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results