shape
carat
color
clarity

TheGemTrader October Goodies

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

Just wanted to see what/if anyone picked up something and wanted to share.

I picked up the Smithsonite and Thulite

TGT%20October%20004.jpg
TGT%20October%20001.jpg
TGT%20October%20003.jpg
TGT%20October%20002.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RTFrog, I don't care what you get because you could make a stick of gum look good! :cheeky: I cannot believe how great your photos are, pure and simple. Can you tell us a little about the stones? They appear to have great color and be quite uncommon material?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice picks! How do you like the Smithsonite? I am always tempted by the material but, for some reason or other, I never pick it up.

My heart is aching for the Munsteiner citrine. It is just gorgeous.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Your photos could be framed & hung on a wall. They look like abstract art. I'm always tempted by Smithsonite too, but haven't ever grabbed any.

The Ceylon sapphire is awfully yummy, if one had an extra 6 grand sitting around. Did anybody here get the Malagasy apatite? Love that color.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Great photos, the smithsonite looks like candy with that background, ingenious!

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Hope others can share if they got anything... there were many drool worthy pieces dropped. I often have no idea how the pictures are going to turn out, especially when trying something different, but I'm glad they are liked :razz:

Minous: Please enjoy stick of gum below. It's funny, I was thinking the Thalite reminded me of one... Thank you for the photo compliment, I appreciate it.
Smithsonite has a pretty interesting story. Found a nice link here loaded with info, will provide a better quick summary: http://www.rozylowicz.com/pdf-files/smithsonite1.pdf
Brad gems some unique gems in, and I've been waiting to find one in this shape. It's very unique, and I think pretty.

Thalite is Tanzanite, Zoisite, colored by Maganese. This one has quartz/calcite matrix in it, giving it the unique appearance. I appreciated it for exactly that reason. Just something a little unique and different, and it sparkles just a bit, almost like it is winking. ;))

Lady_Disdain: I really like the Smithsonite. It reminds me of that blue/green flash in an Opal/Welo Opal - that is hard to find. It's a bit lighter than chalcedony, but not as blue/green as a Paraiba. I've carried it around at different times and lighting to see how it looks. So far, I'm pretty pleased. The flat facets seem to give it more of a matte response. I picked opal a Musteiner Opal awhile back from Brad - I would definitely recommend getting it... and if not - sending him an email to see if he has any others tucked away...

Pregcurious: As always, thank you :)

JewelFreak: Why thank you, I appreciate it. They kinda resulted as an accidental hobby, any recommendations, suggestions, requests for the next shoot? Those other stones are quite lovely, and I hope some one from here picked up that apatite as well. I would like to see photos if it's in hiding please!

Xrisus: Thank you - :D that's exactly what I was going for!

Ilovegemstones: Thank you! :loopy: Maybe someone can share their newly acquired sapphire.

TGT%20October%20Gum%20001.jpg
TGT%20October%20Gum%20002.jpg
TGT%20October%20Gum%20003.jpg
TGT%20October%20Gum%20004.jpg
TGT%20October%20Gum%20005.jpg

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Anybody else surprised to hear Brad say:

"No doubt about it, simply the finest blue Sapphire we have ever had the privilege of handling."

brad_sapph.gif

To me it looks just a touch gray and has a small window. Its undoubtedly a very nice sapphire, but I recall seeing some decisively better ones sold on thegemtrader. Is this hyperbole, or do we think the photo doesn't do it justice, or are my tastes just different than Brad's and everyone else's?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I like it, but it looked a tad dark to me. Maybe it's better IRL on all counts -- Brad knows his stuff; his descriptions are always real enthusiastic but not inaccurate. The price surprised me; shows he thinks a lot of it, I guess.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak:

I agree, he must love it at that price. I'm used to his very positive descriptions (many of which I enjoy), but I found his claim that this was THE best he had ever handled to be going an unusual step further.

From the pictures, I'd much rather have a certain wonderfully saturated blue spinel than this sapphire. :naughty:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous Smithsonite! Reminds me of my favorite color chalcedony that I have seen as well and the cut is so playful.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
pandabee|1382322185|3541408 said:
Gorgeous Smithsonite! Reminds me of my favorite color chalcedony that I have seen as well and the cut is so playful.

Reminds me of the Superman logo!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
corundum_conundrum|1382305611|3541294 said:
JewelFreak:

I agree, he must love it at that price. I'm used to his very positive descriptions (many of which I enjoy), but I found his claim that this was THE best he had ever handled to be going an unusual step further.

From the pictures, I'd much rather have a certain wonderfully saturated blue spinel than this sapphire. :naughty:
Yeah, ahem, me too, CC, especially at that price! :saint:

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, not just gorgeous photography but the gum next to the thalite is not only ingenious but a great colour comparison.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RTFrog|1382301180|3541244 said:
Minous: Please enjoy stick of gum below. It's funny, I was thinking the Thalite reminded me of one... Thank you for the photo compliment, I appreciate it.
Smithsonite has a pretty interesting story. Found a nice link here loaded with info, will provide a better quick summary: http://www.rozylowicz.com/pdf-files/smithsonite1.pdf
Brad gems some unique gems in, and I've been waiting to find one in this shape. It's very unique, and I think pretty.

Thalite is Tanzanite, Zoisite, colored by Maganese. This one has quartz/calcite matrix in it, giving it the unique appearance. I appreciated it for exactly that reason. Just something a little unique and different, and it sparkles just a bit, almost like it is winking. ;))

TGT%20October%20Gum%20001.jpg
TGT%20October%20Gum%20002.jpg
TGT%20October%20Gum%20003.jpg
TGT%20October%20Gum%20004.jpg
TGT%20October%20Gum%20005.jpg

:appl: :appl:

Yum, Thalite chewing gum - a little bit hard to chew, but the sparkles make your mouth wink! (How's that for marketing copy? :bigsmile: )

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
as you can see, I got the montana agate

montanamurry.jpg

montanamurry1.jpg

montanamurry2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So cute! :)) Do you plan to do anything with it?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I had been thinking about cutting some Deschutes Jasper I have into pointed cones of roughly this size, thinking they would be unusual ring stones and great for self defense! I will try this first before I commit to sawing and cutting the jasper. That will have to wait though, since the holidays are nigh upon us and this elf has some work to do.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm liking your agate very much, but wondering upon whose head he is sitting? Is this a new addition to the carved animal menagerie?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
yes the agate is sitting on the head of another tiny animal sculpture I am carving, this one of a Pug I know quite well. the sculpture is Boxwood from high in the Pyrenees and will have Wyoming Black Jade cabochon eyes

2murrys.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1383708830|3551374 said:
yes the agate is sitting on the head of another tiny animal sculpture I am carving, this one of a Pug I know quite well. the sculpture is Boxwood from high in the Pyrenees and will have Wyoming Black Jade cabochon eyes

Yay! And might I say that I can already see just how delighted Murry is to have a namesake...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did Murry request this when he was jealous to see the chrysoberyl cat's eye carving? :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results