shape
carat
color
clarity

The Gem Trader uopdate"!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Gem Trader has just put up a large (36Cts!) cuprite. Lovely! The faceting pattern is very unique and I like it a lot, even though it is a trillion.

http://thegemtrader.com/Nov%2009%20Cuprite%20Page.htm

The rhodochrosite is also very nice, a pleasant shade of pink. The chrysoprase is sweet (I love the translucency) but I only wish it were a real cab, not faceted.

I am not sure about the Munsteiner citrine - I can''t quite picture qhat he did with the stone. I must get a Munsteiner someday...

Over all, I think Brad had some nice stones but on the expensive side. I don''t think I am buying ths time.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lady D. For some strange reason, I didn’t get an update email from him this time.

The cuprite is indeed lovely. Same with the rhodochrosite. The kyanite cab shows nice stripes. I’m not biting this time either because I might have another project coming up.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2009 11:25:38 AM
Author:Lady_Disdain
The Gem Trader has just put up a large (36Cts!) cuprite. Lovely! The faceting pattern is very unique and I like it a lot, even though it is a trillion.

The rhodochrosite is also very nice, a pleasant shade of pink. The chrysoprase is sweet (I love the translucency) but I only wish it were a real cab, not faceted.

I am not sure about the Munsteiner citrine - I can''t quite picture qhat he did with the stone. I must get a Munsteiner someday...

Over all, I think Brad had some nice stones but on the expensive side. I don''t think I am buying ths time.
The cuprite is HUGE, and definitely not something you should ever set. It''s way too soft, but a very neat collector''s stone. I have one, and the metallic luster is cool to look at. It''s looks like it''s wearing armour.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I thought of you when I saw it, TL
2.gif
A pity it is so soft... There are so many lovely minerals that can''t be worn as jewelry either because they are too soft, too brittle, water soluble or even poisonous.

Chrono - I am always glad to update PS. After I have scoured the goodies, of course
3.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad you posted this -- when I first got the email, I suppose I was getting an old cookie version b/c I didn''t see anything new . . . when I clicked on the cuprite link, THEN it decided to refresh the "New Gems" page. :)

The one that leapt out for me was the little Sphalerite -- it looks quite intensely orange. I don''t know anything about Sphalerite so I''ll have to do some research. I can''t buy anything b/c I have majorly splurged on some gems this week. Don''t know if a
39.gif
or
36.gif
should follow that LOL.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sphalerite is gorgeous: the colours are bright and saturates; the sparkle is unmatched. I have a 3ct trillion from gemline and it is beautiful in the full sun and the colour is still very attractive in low lights (orange - yum!). Unfortunately, it is way too soft to set... Not only would it be hellish to set, but I would be very afraid to wear it. I so want to set mine in a pendant!.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 3:00:09 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Sphalerite is gorgeous: the colours are bright and saturates; the sparkle is unmatched. I have a 3ct trillion from gemline and it is beautiful in the full sun and the colour is still very attractive in low lights (orange - yum!). Unfortunately, it is way too soft to set... Not only would it be hellish to set, but I would be very afraid to wear it. I so want to set mine in a pendant!.

Well boo, I''m sad to read that. Thank you for the info, Lady Disdain.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock

WIKIPEIDA says this

Cuprite as a gemstone

Though almost all crystals of cuprite are far too small to yield faceted gemstones, one unique deposit from Onganja, Southwest Africa, which was discovered back in the 1970s, rocked the gemological world by producing some crystals which were both large and gemmy. Virtually every faceted stone over 1 carat (200 mg) in weight is from this single deposit, which has long been mined out. Most crystals were immediately snatched up by the major minerological museums of the world, further increasing the rarity of faceted gems.

The number of faceted gems over 2 carats (400 mg) is difficult to estimate, but according to Joel Arem, one-time curator for the Smithsonian National Gem and Mineral Collection in Washington DC, faceted cuprite of any size is considered one of the most collectible and spectacular gems in existence, with its deep garnet coloring and higher brilliance than a diamond. Only the gem''s soft nature prevents it from being among the most valuable jewelry stones. However, it is still one of the rarest and most sought of collector''s gems, with gems over a few carats virtually impossible to find.

at 36ct, this must be mad rare

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are some really cool stones. No internet at our house yesterday so no buys for me. I do like the purple Spinel... hope a PSer got it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2009 3:00:38 AM
Author: haagen_dazs

WIKIPEIDA says this

Cuprite as a gemstone

Though almost all crystals of cuprite are far too small to yield faceted gemstones, one unique deposit from Onganja, Southwest Africa, which was discovered back in the 1970s, rocked the gemological world by producing some crystals which were both large and gemmy. Virtually every faceted stone over 1 carat (200 mg) in weight is from this single deposit, which has long been mined out. Most crystals were immediately snatched up by the major minerological museums of the world, further increasing the rarity of faceted gems.

The number of faceted gems over 2 carats (400 mg) is difficult to estimate, but according to Joel Arem, one-time curator for the Smithsonian National Gem and Mineral Collection in Washington DC, faceted cuprite of any size is considered one of the most collectible and spectacular gems in existence, with its deep garnet coloring and higher brilliance than a diamond. Only the gem''s soft nature prevents it from being among the most valuable jewelry stones. However, it is still one of the rarest and most sought of collector''s gems, with gems over a few carats virtually impossible to find.

at 36ct, this must be mad rare
My stone is around 5 carats, so that makes me happy!! At 36 carats, that thing belongs in a museum!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results