carat
color
clarity

TGT sunstone iolite--help me choose!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
After seeing the sunstone iolite that DK got I knew I had to have one of my own :love: I've never seen anything quite like it, and even though I am on something of a self-imposed ban until I set all of my blue-greens I emailed Brad to ask him if he had any other stones in stock. He got back to me really quickly with a bunch of pics, and now I'm struggling to decide between them. Need advice from the CS experts :)

SunIolite2.27ct.jpg this one is 2.27 ct, so would be most reasonable if I wanted to make it into a ring

SunIolite4.86ct.13.9x9.3mm.jpg this one is 4.86 ct

SunIolite7.07ct.13.6x12.1mm.jpg this one is the biggest at 7.07 ct

SunIolite4.05ct.13.2mm.jpg 4.05ct

Anyone have thoughts on which one looks the best? My initial "gut" feeling is that I like the trillion and 2.27 stones best, but I can only have 1 :)

S

SparkliesLuver

Always go with your gut! :D

The 2.27ct oval might be "easier" to set since ovals look great in just about any design. The trillion would also be on my list due to the colors it shows, but that one might be slightly tricky to set. Just depends what your style is and what you see in this ring. So I guess my vote goes for the 2.27ct!

Let us know what you decide. :D Doesn't look like you can go wrong though!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 2.27 and trillion best too but think the trillion has more areas of shiller.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are all lovely and fascinating - I could stare at them all day. My first thought is to ask what your plans are and the dimensions of each stone. This really comes down to personal preference, I'm afraid, but for me, the one that I would find easiest to work with if I were to set it would be the 2.27 ct oval. The trillion is gorgeous too. Honestly, though, you can't go wrong! If you do get the trillion, look at this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/shapes-you-like-in-cs-but-not-in-diamonds.215355/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/shapes-you-like-in-cs-but-not-in-diamonds.215355/[/URL]

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, schiller is an important point and might just tip the balance. They really are beautiful!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with your gut feeling :wavey:
I personally really like the 2.27 oval with its soft shape or that beautiful trillion, though these might be a challenge to set.
But it is all about the mm dimensions and depth. Do you know these? It might help you to envision the stones on your finger.
These stones are really something special. DK and you might have started a trend.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grrrrrrrrr, I never thought of contacting Brad to ask if he had anymore stones available after missing out on the first one.

Given all the choices posted in this thread, along with my own purchase, I would probably choose the 4.86ct EC instead of my oval as I like EC shapes more than ovals. :rolleyes: However, I am not bitter. :bigsmile:

Of the pics posted by the OP, I like the oval and the trillion in equal measure, after the EC.

I am sure you will not be disappointed, whichever stone you decide to choose.

DK :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good questions, Acinom!

The oval is 10.2 x 8.4. I dont have the full dimensions of the trillion--I can ask Brad, but I do know that one dimension is 13.2mm (I assume height?? But not entirely sure).

I wrote back to Brad saying I was conflicted, and asked him for his personal thoughts between the two. He was also kind enough to provide another photo of the trillion from a frontal angle (so I can compare more easily to the oval). Here are the two again from a more similar angle. I'm going to keep staring to help me decide, but I love both!!! Hopefully Brad's opinion can help sway me one way or the other...in the meantime keep your thoughts coming!

unnamed.gifSunIolite2.27ct.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1440456395|3918710 said:
Grrrrrrrrr, I never thought of contacting Brad to ask if he had anymore stones available after missing out on the first one.

Given all the choices posted in this thread, along with my own purchase, I would probably choose the 4.86ct EC instead of my oval as I like EC shapes more than ovals. :rolleyes: However, I am not bitter. :bigsmile:

Of the pics posted by the OP, I like the oval and the trillion in equal measure, after the EC.

DK feel free to grab the EC if you want! I prefer the other two anyway :) I'm sure if you put up yours on LT/preloved PS/DB it will be snapped up! Not to be a bad influence or anything.... :naughty: :naughty:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1440456558|3918712 said:
dk168|1440456395|3918710 said:

DK feel free to grab the EC if you want! I prefer the other two anyway :) I'm sure if you put up yours on LT/preloved PS/DB it will be snapped up! Not to be a bad influence or anything.... :naughty: :naughty:

I would be lying if I say I am not tempted, however, I really must stop buying more CS in order to concentrate on setting the ones I already have, as well as the ones I have yet to pay Jeff D!!!

BTW, based on the latest photos of the trillion and the oval, I would pick the trillion myself. :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the opinions everyone! I think I'm going to ask dimensions of each one to help with final choices (thanks to those who suggested that). I thought I preferred the trillion, but last night I couldnt stop thinking about what I could do with the oval, and how I like the more blue hue it has. So once again I'm stuck between them. I might ask Brad to send me both (if he would be so kind) so I can decide in person.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I also prefer the two popular choices, but I like the oval slightly better, enough that I would definitely choose it. Good luck :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a Sunstone Iolite from Brad about a year ago - 3.13ct. One of the things I found I wanted was a very good balance between the Sunstone and Iolite. Too much Iolite and the stone can appear too dark. Have a chat with Brad about which he thinks has the best balance. They're a nightmare to photograph so having his opinion is good.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, LD! I asked Brad about that, and he said they are both really nice and that it's really a matter of personal preference at this point since neither is clearly "better". So I asked him if he would be willing to send me both so I can choose in person. Hopefully he will say yes so that way I can have them in my hand when making the choice. Thanks everyone for your help! :appl:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with your choices and hope Brad will send you both so you can see them in person. :) I was leaning towards the trillion when you posted another pic of it next to the oval. The schiller looks a little more pronounced on it while it seems to be spread more evenly on the oval. But either one should be a great choice based on how you would like to set it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hooray! Brad agreed to send both so I can choose in person! :dance: :dance:

Now I just need to make sure not to let myself keep both and make 1 into a pendant. Hopefully I can control myself when they get here :naughty:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! That's great news. Looking forward to hear from you how the stones look when you see them in person.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THEY'RE HERE! woohoo!

Overall I'm really happy that I had Brad send both stones, as it helped confirm my "gut" feeling. I suspected I preferred the oval shape, but kept second guessing myself since there was more of the schiller on the trillion. But in person it confirms that I definitely prefer the oval. I love that it still shows some deep midnight blue instead of being only black, and I like that the schiller is more like dots than like big patches. I am 100% other people would likely prefer the trillion, so maybe one of you can snatch it up when I return it :dance: :dance:

They are both beautiful stones, and I now 100% understand what Brad was saying about them being hard to photograph!

ONTO THE PICS!

Trillion first:
20150903_190927.jpg20150903_190924.jpg20150903_190917.jpg20150903_190920.jpg

Oval:
20150903_190803.jpg20150903_190800.jpg20150903_190754.jpg20150903_190753.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Yes!! That's what I liked better about the oval too - the base color. They're both gorgeous but I preferred the oval too, so...yay!! ;-). Such a neat stone - well, both of them, really.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome! That oval is outstanding! In your pics I would have chosen that one too. Congrats! :love:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, it's great seeing people going for the more unusual stones, can't wait to see how you set this one.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm excited for you that you were able to see both at the same time. That makes a huge difference, plus then you don't have any doubts. Glad you chose the oval and listened to your gut. :) Can't wait to see how you set it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smart move on your part to see both, and I would've made the same decision to get the oval.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too prefer the oval, and shall look forward to seeing the finished ring.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous and elegant ring has been created for you Lovedogs. :love: :love:
What are your thoughts?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Acinom|1452490687|3974020 said:
What a gorgeous and elegant ring has been created for you Lovedogs. :love: :love:
What are your thoughts?

Oooh, link to the photo, please!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results