shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzanite or Sapphire?

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I know there is no way to tell from a picture. But does this look like a sapphire or tanzanite? Thanks!img_20141117_144058.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
livannie|1416262886|3785381 said:
I know there is no way to tell from a picture.
You got it in one - we'd only be guessing. So my question is... why the question?

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks Starzin! Well I was told it was a sapphire but it just looks too blue and has a hint of violet in it. Sometimes it just looks like a tanzanite to me. I know sapphires can be many different colors and shades so I guess it could be a sapphire. Does sapphire and tanzanite get confused with each other often?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires can come in a purple blue colour and colour change as well. Take to a jeweller that can test it or examine it more carefully.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's a very pretty ring, whatever it is. From this photo I'd suspect sapphire, but it's really impossible to say from a pic, as noted.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be difficult to check, being that the stone is set in a halo but given that tanzanite is a strongly trichoric gem, try to see whether your stone shows different colours when viewed in different axis (one is most likely to be blue, another is violet and the last might be reddish brown or green).

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
livannie said:
Thanks Starzin! Well I was told it was a sapphire but it just looks too blue and has a hint of violet in it.
I agree with JF that it is a very pretty ring. So who told you it was sapphire? Do you currently own the ring or are you considering buying it?

If you haven't yet purchased it, request a lab report (AGL recommended for coloured stones if you're in the US) confirming that it is indeed sapphire and what level of treatment it may or may not have.

If you have bought or been gifted it, you could first try an appraiser (not a jeweller) who should be able to confirm whether or not it is a sapphire, though a lab report makes their job easier and it's unlikely they will be able to tell you anything about treatment.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I like the colour if it is a sapphire. However, if I were to get a Tanzanite, I would go for a stone that is a bit more saturated.

DK :))

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the advice and comments! Starzin, my grandma gave me this ring but can't remember too much about it but believes it is a sapphire. I don't know much about or own any tanzanite but when I happened to find pictures of some tanzanite jewelry on the internet, it made me wonder. The stone is not really purplish like some tanzanites I've seen but it glows and looks bluer than most sapphires I have seen in person. I will have to take it somewhere to find out for sure.img_20141118_092312.jpg
img_20141117_142218.jpg
img_20141117_144245.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if your grandma gave it to you, and it has been worn a lot, a loupe can usually tell. If there's lots of facet abrasion and micro pitting on the stone surface, it's probably a tanzanite. If it has minimal wear and tear, it's probably a sapphire, as they're much more durable and harder gems. Sapphires can have facet abrasion too, but someone would have had to be pretty hard on the gem. Sapphires can come in that color by the way. Tanzanite was first sold as a sapphire substitute. ;-)

Any competent gemologist should be able to tell with a refractometer. If it's a tanzanite, be careful with it, as they are subject to wear and tear quite easily. That's a lovely classic ring.

What year did grandma acquire the ring, as tanzanite was discovered in 1967. Sapphires have been around for eons of course. Has the stone ever been replaced?

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks TL. I think she got it in the 80s or 90s. I am pretty sure the stone has never been replaced. And the stone doesn't show any signs of wear or facet abrasion. My mother in law has a tanzanite and you can see wear on the stone. But the stone on this ring looks like it's in good condition. The only wear you can see on the ring is on the band. The only gemologist I know around here only has his shop open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, so I will try and take the ring in tomorrow. I am excited to see what he says.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
livannie|1416417197|3786511 said:
Thanks TL. I think she got it in the 80s or 90s. I am pretty sure the stone has never been replaced. And the stone doesn't show any signs of wear or facet abrasion. My mother in law has a tanzanite and you can see wear on the stone. But the stone on this ring looks like it's in good condition. The only wear you can see on the ring is on the band. The only gemologist I know around here only has his shop open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, so I will try and take the ring in tomorrow. I am excited to see what he says.

Sounds like a sapphire, but have him take a look at it with a loupe. Tanzanites look like a crater infested planet under a loupe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results