shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for fairly inexpensive colored stone center?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I think this might be my first post here in the CS forum!

I'm considering changing around my ering, shown here. One of the options is to upgrade the center stone and reset it, while replacing it in the 3 stone setting with a colored stone. The setting was custom-made to the current diamond, which is 5.8mm.

What kind of options would I have? Suggestions for stones that are fairly inexpensive? I'm partial to blue sapphires- is royal blue the right term? The same blue color for the Florida Gators, if that helps. DH's and my birthstone is aquamarine while my kids' birthstones are diamonds (not helpful in this situation!) and emerald.

Thanks!

_11448.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LS,
Good you see you dipping in CS.

1. Will this be an occasional wear ring? The answer will help us suggest stones that are appropriate (more or less durable stones).
2. Define "fairly inexpensive" since that number will be different for each person. $100? $500?
3. Do you care about treatment or it has to be untreated? Heat only? Irradiated? Diffused?
4. Are you fussed on cut? Most posters coming from the diamond world tend to be picky about cut so I would presume you prefer precision cuts. This might limit your choices somewhat, depending on your budget.
5. Do you have the time to search or does this have to happen fairly soon?

A richly coloured medium dark blue tends to be rather expensive. Sapphires are the most durable, holds the blue colouration best but is also the most expensive. Heat treated is less expensive. Diffused is the least expensive. Pricing can go up as high as $2000/ct.

Aquamarine will be an occasional wear stone. They have a lower refractive index so it will not be a sparkly stone. Due to the shape of the rough, most are not cut as rounds. The darker the blue, the more expensive it will be, so light or pale blue aquamarine will be the least expensive. Most are heated.

Emeralds are usually treated unless you get something that is very light green. Some are oiled only but most are clarity enhanced with different types of polymers. Few are cut into round shapes due to the natural growth / shape of the rough. A high quality untreated or very lightly oiled emerald goes up to $6000/ct. A very light untreated emerald can be as little as a few hundred dollars.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1383231850|3548131 said:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/reduced-royal-blue-sapphire

Nice! I would follow up with a video request since she is open to it and the sale is final.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
1. Will this be an occasional wear ring? The answer will help us suggest stones that are appropriate (more or less durable stones). This would probably be a regularly worn ring, maybe not daily, but certainly several times a week and possibly more.
2. Define "fairly inexpensive" since that number will be different for each person. $100? $500? Good question! I don't know the budget at the moment- would think maybe around $1000 or less. I might sell some of my current items, which would help. Every penny helps!
3. Do you care about treatment or it has to be untreated? Heat only? Irradiated? Diffused? This might be sacrilege in the CS forum, but I just want something pretty and am less concerned with all the various factors that would increase the cost of a stone, other than making something look unattractive. Definitely do not need unenhanced! What do irradiated and diffused mean?
4. Are you fussed on cut? Most posters coming from the diamond world tend to be picky about cut so I would presume you prefer precision cuts. This might limit your choices somewhat, depending on your budget. Shh...don't tell the diamond forum, but am not fussed on cut either! With diamonds, I don't need a super ideal to make me happy. What is a precision cut?
5. Do you have the time to search or does this have to happen fairly soon? I have time :bigsmile:

A richly coloured medium dark blue tends to be rather expensive. Sapphires are the most durable, holds the blue colouration best but is also the most expensive. Heat treated is less expensive. Diffused is the least expensive. Pricing can go up as high as $2000/ct. If I recall right, isn't sapphire fairly dense, so that a sapphire of the same carat weight as a diamond would be smaller appearance-wise? I really do love those apparently expensive medium dark blues! I have a sapphire ring, but it is too light and I don't care for the color for myself.

Aquamarine will be an occasional wear stone. They have a lower refractive index so it will not be a sparkly stone. Due to the shape of the rough, most are not cut as rounds. The darker the blue, the more expensive it will be, so light or pale blue aquamarine will be the least expensive. Most are heated. Yeah, I had an inexpensive aqua, and didn't care for it. I definitely don't need aqua for the center stone.

Emeralds are usually treated unless you get something that is very light green. Some are oiled only but most are clarity enhanced with different types of polymers. Few are cut into round shapes due to the natural growth / shape of the rough. A high quality untreated or very lightly oiled emerald goes up to $6000/ct. A very light untreated emerald can be as little as a few hundred dollars.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LS,
You will be removing the ring once at home, right? You won't be wearing it to the gym, doing yardwork and the like, correct?

1. Possibilities for that dark blue include blue sapphire and blue spinel. Indicolite tourmaline and blue topaz might be too light, iolite and tanzanite might not hold up well.

3. It's not sacrilegeous to accept treated stones. There is a stone for every budget and for me, as long as the buyer understands the treatment and accepts it with full knowledge, that is all that matters. Irradiation means the gem has been bombarded with electron to enhance the colour. Almost all blue topaz are irradiated but the colour is stable and the stone is safe to handle, set and wear. Irradiated stones sold in the US are no longer radioactive. Diffusion is a process where sapphire is heated to almost melting point so that a mineral (beryllium is often used) can be infused into the corundum itself, thereby enhancing the natural colour. Diffusion is considered a very invasive treatment since it changes the internal structure of the sapphire greatly. Some even go as far as to compare it to a dye treatment. This treatment is permanent, stable and goes through the entire stone. The end result is a very beautiful stone that one can purchase at a very low price.

4. Precision cut is akin to ideal cut in the diamond world. Very precise pattern, excellent symmetry, meet points, polish and etc. There are plenty of badly cut coloured stones but there are also many well cut yet not precision cut stones.

5. Having time on your side is a good thing. :))

Yes, most coloured stones are denser so even though they have the same carat weight, they are often smaller than a diamond. In addition, coloured stone cuts need more depth so that they do not show a window (return light properly to the viewer's eyes). When shopping, go by the diameter, not carat weight to ensure that it will fit your setting. When all else is equal, a 1 ct round diamond measures 6.5 mm and a 1 ct round sapphire measures 6 mm.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that stone will be a medium dark to dark toned, with a slight violet modifier and strong saturation. It isn't precision cut but a decently cut non-precision cut. I try to avoid using the term native cut whenever possible.

As for Gene's website, do you mean the 3rd stone on the banner? That's a medium to medium dark toned stone. Looks to have a bit of violet too and the saturation is also strong. However, with it being precision cut, it will be more brilliant or flashy.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1383244577|3548259 said:
I think that stone will be a medium dark to dark toned, with a slight violet modifier and strong saturation. It isn't precision cut but a decently cut non-precision cut. I try to avoid using the term native cut whenever possible.

As for Gene's website, do you mean the 3rd stone on the banner? That's a medium to medium dark toned stone. Looks to have a bit of violet too and the saturation is also strong. However, with it being precision cut, it will be more brilliant or flashy.

I like the color of Gene's stone better, but I assume precision cut will definitely be more expensive.

The loop troop one is $650- is that reasonable?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Secondhand will be less than buying "new" and yes, precision cut tends to be more expensive. The LT $650 sapphire is a reasonable price. I, too, prefer the colour of Gene's sapphire. As mentioned earlier, I would request a video of the LT sapphire to see whether the colour is acceptable to you or if it will be too dark for you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrysoberyl is a stone you can find in good quality at reasonable prices as its not to popular. And its a good stone for daily wear like a spinel or sapphire.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1383248017|3548296 said:
Chrysoberyl is a stone you can find in good quality at reasonable prices as its not to popular. And its a good stone for daily wear like a spinel or sapphire.
I don't know that the OP is interested in yellow/yellow-green?

I love that sapphire. I'd snap it up if my money wasn't already tied up elsewhere!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had a look around and I think you may be constrained by price/shape/size/budget all coming together with the colour you want (which isn't far off being a top colour for a sapphire which inevitably means a higher price). However, I've found 3 that you may/may not like. One is under budget but the other two are just over. They should all fit your ring (as I'm assuming there will be a slight tolerance in mm.

The plus side to these is that they are heat only - so even though you're okay with enhancements these are probably a better bet.

I would just urge a bit of caution as I find this vendor's photos can make a stone look slightly lighter and brighter than they appear in real life. If you have space on your credit card I would strongly urge you getting all three for a look (AND before that, ask for handshots of all 3 side by side) - that's if you're interested in them of course!

Here's a link to the vendor's blue sapphire page and the ones I've picked are on that page.

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

blue_sapphire_for_pricescope.jpg

blue_sapphire_for_pricescope1.jpg

blue_sapphire_for_pricescope2.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
She did send me two videos in different kinds of light. I really like it! I like the color of the one on Gene's website better, but this one is very pretty. I guess I need to figure out two things- whether I want to replace the center stone or put my upgraded diamond in it, and if I do end up with a colored stone, will this one be too small for my setting.

Thanks for the great explanation, Chrono!

Ooh...LD- I just saw your posting. I'm about to head out trick or treating so will reply later. Maybe someone will drop a perfect sapphire on my kids' bags.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1383251489|3548330 said:
Niel|1383248017|3548296 said:
I don't know that the OP is interested in yellow/yellow-green?

I love that sapphire. I'd snap it up if my money wasn't already tied up elsewhere!

Just answering her original question about different inexpensive wearable colored stones. ::) she threw emerald in there's, so I thought green might be in the mix.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
An update: I did not get the LT stone; it actually sold as I was chatting with the seller (someone else had wanted it awhile ago and was finally able to buy it). She was honest and said that in her experience, that stone would've been too small for my setting. She couldn't have been nice or more responsive.

I was able to give some more thought to what I want. I do want a nice blue sapphire! I've always admired three stone rings like that and have decided that should I go this route (as opposed to using the same setting for a larger diamond), I'm going to take my time and look for a nice sapphire. I still don't want to spend a lot of money, but would probably increase the budget b/c after all, the setting does have meaning to me since it's my ering setting :bigsmile:

There's no rush, so I'm sure I'll be back here asking for your help again!

LD-

Is that site a good place to purchase from, assuming you can view the stones in person?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Would you consider (the color of) a Montana sapphire?

cheers--Sharon

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear that the stone sold, but it sounds like you are in a good place and with more time and the latitude of a bigger budget, will have no problem finding something beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemfix is a reputable vendor; no issues with returns and refunds. Picture wise, some have not been satisfied with the actual gem finding that the stone's colour does not look as intense as pictured. This is normal because most vendors photograph their stones under ideal conditions so expect any gem to look a bit less attractive in person.

To expound on Canuk's suggestion of a Montana sapphire, those are mined in the US. They come in a range of hues ranging from light to dark toned, most often with a greenish undertone but occasionally there are those that are a bit periwinkle or purplish. Consider it a different flavour of blue sapphire, if that makes more sense.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I like the bottom two that LD posted! I'm in discussions with my husband at the moment, who says he prefers to see things in person. So, I'm making my case to purchase, then return if necessary!

What about this one? I don't care for it as much in the one picture (looks dull?), but like the finger shot.

sapphire_blue_1078.jpg

sapphire_blue_1078_a.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like that one Logan. It looks too dark in the sales picture and very different in the hand shot - I suspect this has cutting issues and will look dead and flat.

You asked whether they are reputable and yes, they are. As I said and Chrono has confirmed, their photos do tend to make the gems look slightly better than they do in real life so go for something slightly lighter than you want to get the result you need! Definitely worth getting two and agreeing with Gemfix to accept one back. I prefer the two you've chosen as well btw!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1383329417|3548736 said:
I like the bottom two that LD posted! I'm in discussions with my husband at the moment, who says he prefers to see things in person. So, I'm making my case to purchase, then return if necessary!

What about this one? I don't care for it as much in the one picture (looks dull?), but like the finger shot.
This one looks like it is very silky in the glam shot. In the hand shot, the center looks odd.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1383332853|3548761 said:
Logan Sapphire|1383329417|3548736 said:

This one looks like it is very silky in the glam shot. In the hand shot, the center looks odd.
The center does look strange. Like the center is the only place with silk.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I bought the bottom 2!! I talked to Andrew and he was really helpful and nice. He brought out all 3 stones and went over them with me. The middle stone is the one he said he'd choose if he had to (brighter and sparklier) but does have some inclusions if you look hard.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1383334075|3548774 said:
I bought the bottom 2!! I talked to Andrew and he was really helpful and nice. He brought out all 3 stones and went over them with me. The middle stone is the one he said he'd choose if he had to (brighter and sparklier) but does have some inclusions if you look hard.

Cool! So you and your DH will decide when you see them IRL? How exciting!

cheers--Sharon

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah Logan! The middle one was my favourite too! Can't wait to hear what you think. Please will you post photos and a review? xxx

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1383334075|3548774 said:

Nice! If its possible, this is by far the best way to do it - to see multiple stones in hand at once to get a good comparison. It will be to hear what you think, but you have two good candidates there.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Great! You'll have fun comparing them in hand, too -- hard to stop looking at them once you open the box. The ring will be SO nice w/a sapphire center, much more lively & I'll bet you will be just thrilled. Waiting for an update -- & maybe pics of the one you choose? (or both!)

--- Laurie

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I'll definitely post pictures! I'm a terrible photographer, but will try my best to do them justice. He said he thought I'd get them on Tuesday or Wednesday; I have two major things at work both those days, but am teleworking . I hope I can concentrate!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results