shape
carat
color
clarity

soo....wwyd?? (see inside)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soooo last night I saw this absolutely beautiful stone at africagems.

Its got a lot going for it;

The color is a really gorgeous vivid pinkish red
its got silk (yay! :appl:) which means its probably going to glow like crazy
and for the size, the price was good.
Oh and he designated it eye clean.

Well.....

I sent an email about it, obsessed about it for hours I saw the mark but had hopes it wasn't anything too terrible since he described it as eye clean. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger, I figured that if he tells me its something terrible well....I'd put on my big girl pants and deal.

I called him on the phone before I got the email, He's certainly lovely to speak to, and he explained the issue pretty well to me over the phone as well as in email.

This is from the email he sent me

I just loupe it and see that there is what looks like an inclusion that comes to the surface on a couple of the main facets.

:errrr: ;( Can you tell I haven't put on the big girl pants yet? ;(

Being that this is along a facet, I need some pointers as to what I should do and what, if anything could happen if Idecide to keep this and have this stone set (it would be prong set, not bezeled)

Or should I just throw in the towel and says forget it, and keep looking?

I told him to send it and I would take a look because maybe its not TOOO bad (at least thats what I'm hoping) but man... I just don't know. Y'all know inclusions don't freak me out but this does being its along a facet and at the surface already, would that type of surface inclusion that be considered a structural weak point in the stone? And even though I take care wearing my rings, we all know that nothing is impervious.

So your opinions appreciated! I already know some won't be popular but tell me anyway, its not about what I want to hear but what I NEED to hear.

the stone in question :
233spinel.jpg

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian,
Is it a spinel? I'm assuming so, but not sure. If a tourmaline, I would worry more, but you can never tell with surface reaching fractures. I just took a chance on a spinel with one of those fractures reaching the surface, and the jeweler set it no problem, but they even told me, "you never know, even the best jewelers can damage it on setting it." Use a good jeweler that is aware of the fracture, that's what I did.

Very nice color.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh sorry, yes its a spinel. here's the specs: 9.25x7.25x4.30 mm

Marc calls the color a vivid deep red which I have to really agree with. He didn't give me origin but for now I'm going to assume its probably a mahenge as those spinels seem to be the ones with the silk in them.

My setter retired, so I use Kismets people (T &C Jewelers in Arlington) they've always done really great job on setting stones for me, so no complaints there.

If I decide to keep it (considering the price on it + now the inclusion and where it is, its up for debate) I'd certainly talk to them about it so they're aware of the issue.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1297204624|2846904 said:

Marc calls the color a vivid deep red which I have to really agree with. He didn't give me origin but for now I'm going to assume its probably a mahenge as those spinels seem to be the ones with the silk in them.

My setter retired, so I use Kismets people (T &C Jewelers in Arlington) they've always done really great job on setting stones for me, so no complaints there.

If I decide to keep it (considering the price on it + now the inclusion and where it is, its up for debate) I'd certainly talk to them about it so they're aware of the issue.

-A

Nice size stone at a good price, with great color, heck, I would keep it. Nice find!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian|1297204624|2846904 said:

-A

Please keep it so I don't obsess about it... :twisted:

See if they can give you a price break since the inclusions reach the surface?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would walk away from it

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well brandy I'm going to hope that Marc will discuss it when I receive it. He said Friday /Saturday probably.

and yes, I do know the price is quite good, but I also have a lead one thats over twice the size as this one for a few hundred more that its only issue is silk in it. I do admit though its not as red as this one which kept me coming back to it. I think that type of velvet red dosen't come around too often, which is why I really want to see it in person (because its LUV :cheeky: )

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1297205718|2846923 said:
I would walk away from it

can you expand on why? Id love to know why. You know I wuv to hear your whys.

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get it, evaluate it and then decide. If you're obsessing about it, there's a reason. You're in :love:

TL's advice is exactly what I would give and that's if the price is good and you feel like taking a chance - then do it! Not all inclusions are problematic. Not all inclusions mean there is a structural weakness that will lead to the stone breaking. Yes, this one is surface reaching and along a facet but if it's not too deep ........

I'm presuming it's the one you can see in the picture at about 11 o'clock? What does the vendor say about how much it will affect the integrity of the stone? It's not where a prong will go (although I appreciate that during the setting process it's the pressure on the stone that's important).

Go for it hun. If you don't look at it, you'll regret it. Make a decision on whether it's a keeper once you've got it for a look see.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Well I wouldnt call that an inclusion; that I would call a crack, or if I were in a charitable mood, a fissure. I do not trust them. The combination of the slightest bit of torque applied to the stone from the prongs, with even a soft blow on the edge of a computer reaching for an iced tea that shouldnt be by the computer anyway but is, hey it's a hot day, and the crack runs through the stone cleaving it in half. Think how a glass cutter works. It doesnt really cut the glass. It suggests to the glass a line along which it might now prefer to break. The wheel of the cutter chrushes a groove into the sheet, but it's not a regular groove just a conglomeration of little jaggeds. These are the cracks or fissures. Sometimes all that is needed is a tap on the sheet to make the line run and snap the glass in half. I love the color and tone of the stone. But that would only make it more of a heartbreak when it crumbles.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LD. And yes thats the one. I kept lookin at it and thinking "maybe thats a hair?" After Marc told me what it was my stomach just dropped. ;(

The color is so TDF.. and man its so up my alley URG, why does God hate me man?!?!?!?

VL, thank you for expanding on that because you've voiced my fear to the letter. Even as careful as many of us are, life happens and you unintentionally smack your ring hand on something. It happens and its not intentional but its life, you know? Granted it can happen with a totally clean stone too and you can bust it all to hell, but I think if there's something that could happen, that may be the weakest point since it already reaches the surface.

I haven't asked Marc if the inclusion is structural, mainly because I kind of now need to satisfy my own curiosity about it and see it under a microscope to find out where the inclusion comes from, then talk to him about it.

Marc has an excellent reputation, and very honest which is why I went for it, but I this stone kinda fell through the...well..you know...

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
have you seen the gemfix one at $685?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1297208795|2846973 said:
have you seen the gemfix one at $685?

Yeah but its too small for the setting. If I though I could make it fit across a 9x7 setting. It would be a contender. Even the bigger one that I talked about earlier was a bit on the tooo big side (it sure is a hot stone though...lol)

-A

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not an expert, but it looks more along the lines of a blemish to me. But then again, I haven't seen the stone. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you because it's a gorgeous color!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is wonderful. Some of rubies on his website have a similar color. Can't comment on the fissure, I'd take a chance if I liked the color.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arc: good for you for buying it - only you can decide and you need to see for yourself. You're going to loupe it, scrutinize it at every angle, in every light condition, at different times of day, at different temperatures, with one eye, with the other eye, with both eyes, and you will decide. Either way, you will feel better. Good luck. Very pretty stone.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would move on. I don't trust surface reaching fractures not to break my heart latter.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If price is good and you love the colour, that’s the risk you’ll have to take. I’ll probably keep it but not set it into a ring. A pendant is a whole lot safer than a ring but if you want a ring stone… Did Marc give you an additional discount for the crack?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian,
This is one of my spinels, see the surface reaching crack? It's march larger and more precarious than the tiny one on the stone you're considering, yet my jeweler managed to set it. Now that it's set, I can barely see the crack, and just luscious color instead. I don't think your crack is anywhere near as bad as mine, but I did get a huge discount on this stone, it's 1.91 carats at I paid only $170. I just couldn't pass it up because I really liked the color and the price, especially for the size, which is the situation you're in now. This spinel is now in a bypass ring I made with a trillion violet spinel. I think these are settable, and I'm pretty sure yours is with the right jeweler who is aware of the crack and knows how to handle it. I would of course use high karat yellow gold to set yours (like I did mine) because it is softer, and will not stress the stone as much.

pinktrillionspinel.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all. Your opinions and comments do matter to me! This has been a pretty hard decision especially since I'm thinking of all types of scenarios. ugh!!! ;(

Aside from speaking to Marc yesterday about the the stone we've not spoken yet. I told him I would let him know once I received it.

TL, I'm so spoiled now that I only set in 18K and above :nono: :saint: They setter at TC is very good, so I have confidence in them if I keep the stone after I've examined it and spoken with Marc. I think anyone thats been to Africagems knows about how much I paid for it, and if I had known about its issue at the price, I wouldn't have bought it.

I will confess I've never set a stone that had any type of outside crack in it, because I know it can be problematic. Man I just don't know anymore.

Chrono, if I don't set it, I won't keep it and will just have to go back to Marc. I'm trying to cull myself from buying and never setting unless its a specimen stone. And this year with all the projects I have I'm setting only what I consider 'Diva stones'. So you know what that means...lol

Brandy, if it gets sent back you're gonna have to obsess :lol: I really am thinking hard about it through. Its really the perfect stone in terms of color size and the silk. if not for the other issue...

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and at least your surface reaching crack is not where a prong will go, so that's also good, and something to keep in mind.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian|1297259960|2847526 said:
Brandy, if it gets sent back you're gonna have to obsess :lol: I really am thinking hard about it through. Its really the perfect stone in terms of color size and the silk. if not for the other issue...

-A

:errrr: I've been on a gemstone buying/looking/searching/obsessing hiatus. :shock: That stone would send me back down that slippery slope.

I hope you love it when it gets to you. I think it's definitely worth an in person up close evaluation. Please post pics of it when you get it. :saint:

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Very glowy stone...bet that blemish won't show as much in person and I hope you can find a way to safely set it.

Laura

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Largosmom, I'm not really worried about it showing in as much as what it could mean for the stone. once I get it under the scope I'll be able to see how big it is, and THEN I may really worry.

at any rate, the color is sooo what I want! but in this case, I need to also be sure that if I set that puppy, it dosen't break on me.

contacted the seller and cutter of this stone and he still has it.

6ctredmahengespinel.jpg

I may end up going this route instead.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian, the above one is more orange than the one from Marc. It's cut better, but the color is not the same.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1297312230|2848242 said:
Arcadian, the above one is more orange than the one from Marc. It's cut better, but the color is not the same.

I know, which I'm fine with. The color on the one from marc is a rare thing indeed, especially at the size it is. However, the last stone I posted has no surface reaching inclusions at all, and does have a very nice cut indeed on it. Both iMO are gorgeous and appeal to me in different ways.

-A

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
oh both colors are so pretty! (but that surface feather would bother me. i chip a lot of gems really easily tho.)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my update;

I got Marc's stone.... and OMG! that color is crazy! Unfortunately its dark out, so any images I post won't look so good when I post them, but just think ruby colored velvet, thats what it looks like to me. IRL, no extinction. my big head is all in the way trynna look at it though :lol:

Now, as much as I love how the stone looks, the inclusion can be seen at certain angles... at arm length, it looks like a scratch on the side leading slightly on the table. Tomorrow I'll put it under the microscope just to see where it goes, but I do want to say I saw it under uv light and a loupe and it dosen't look like it goes all the way down, that I'm thankful for.

And speaking of, under my itty bitty flashlight, my pinks are much more brighter than this red. Hopefully I'll get to see it in some real sunlight soon.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the microscopic inclusions, it should diffuse light very well so you will see little to no extinction, big hair included. It has pink fluorescence?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes indeedy Chrono. with my big head in the way yes, its still a very pretty red. unlike the hard and sharp sparkle that most of my spinels have, this is very dreamy and velvety. So I find it to be different in how it reacts to light. Takes a bit of getting used to IMO.

The fluoro is not as intense as any of my pink mehenge, which I found to be really surprising. However, its still there and does fluoro pinkish red.

Marc and I did come to a solution that works for us both. I would work with him again not only based on that, but because I think he's just so freaking nice!

Though the stone looks good in white gold, I thinking that it would totally pop in yellow gold. I have a lot to think about

-A

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results