shape
carat
color
clarity

SLP Gem Laboratory

LimitedGems

Rough_Rock
SLP Gem Laboratory is either fake or dont know what they're doing.
By my opinion, I think "SLP" are made by the traders. Or "SLP" is something the Gemsmarket produce themselfes. Actually NOT a Lab at all.

Both SLP Gem Laboratory Certificates provided beneath are made of one single stone (yes, same stone described in each SLP certificate) but you better look at the differences here.

Even if SLP is a real Lab, it looks to me that a person can tell them what to state in the SLP certificate to catch higher prices. First it was graded "Purple Pink". Then it was graded "Orangish Pink" (Padparadscha).

No no no, there's NO Orange or Pink in this gemstone at all! Yes, it's Purple!

slp.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SLP has been discussed in this forum before, and one cannot even find a true address for them in Thailand, so a lot of us have our doubts it's a real lab.

LimitedGems

Rough_Rock
TL|1388244293|3581868 said:
SLP has been discussed in this forum before, and one cannot even find a true address for them in Thailand, so a lot of us have our doubts it's a real lab.

Yes, I know. I just wanted to confirm it. Because I dont think anyone have shown any SLP certificates regarding their doubts. And I attached two certificates that probably shows that SLP is nothing but fake.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a phone number or a website on the lab report? Even if it is real, one cannot confirm the authenticity of the report with the reference number if you cannot get in touch with them.

LimitedGems

Rough_Rock
TL|1388244952|3581871 said:
Is there a phone number or a website on the lab report? Even if it is real, one cannot confirm the authenticity of the report with the reference number if you cannot get in touch with them.

71 Mahesak Road Bangkok 10500
Tel: 08-13508899

But the address is fake I think, because if you see the address provided above, it dont excist.

The real adress would be nothing but:
71 Soi Mahesak 3 Khwaeng Silom, Khet Bang Rak, Krungthep Mahanakorn 10500, Thailand

And SLP is NOT located there.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LimitedGems|1388245355|3581876 said:
TL|1388244952|3581871 said:

71 Mahesak Road Bangkok 10500
Tel: 08-13508899

But the address is fake I think, because if you see the address provided above, it dont excist.

The real adress would be nothing but:
71 Soi Mahesak 3 Khwaeng Silom, Khet Bang Rak, Krungthep Mahanakorn 10500, Thailand

And SLP is NOT located there.

Did you try calling the phone number?

If you google "SLP Gem Lab," you'll find lots of negative information about it I'm afraid.

It's really unfortunate that some sellers keep using this lab.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERTIFIED-NATURAL-UNHEATED-BEAUTIFUL-REDDISH-PINK-MOZAMBIQUE-RUBY-/380801165523?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item58a984a8d3

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is obvious that vendors who need a lab that prints whatever they request would prefer to use SLP. How many people actually verify with the labs? Unscrupulous vendors will continue down this path for as long as they can get away with it. :nono:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, knowledge that this lab is bogus or, at a minimum, very shady has been known for some time and has been a topic of conversation on this board for years. I am grateful you brought it back up, as its not readily apparent unless you google it. It makes me wonder whether we may want to start, as a companion thread to the recommended vendor's thread, one where quality is questionable, or whether actions appear duplicitous?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1388272182|3582137 said:
Yes, knowledge that this lab is bogus or, at a minimum, very shady has been known for some time and has been a topic of conversation on this board for years. I am grateful you brought it back up, as its not readily apparent unless you google it. It makes me wonder whether we may want to start, as a companion thread to the recommended vendor's thread, one where quality is questionable, or whether actions appear duplicitous?

At the very least, it would be nice to have a thread on gem labs, and which ones are best for certain kinds of stones. Sapphires, rubies, and diamonds are specialized gems with lots of treatment and/or synthesis, so highly equipped labs should be used for them.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1388276498|3582180 said:

At the very least, it would be nice to have a thread on gem labs, and which ones are best for certain kinds of stones. Sapphires, rubies, and diamonds are specialized gems with lots of treatment and/or synthesis, so highly equipped labs should be used for them.

Couldn't agree more, but I'm not sure that a thread as specific as on gem labs will get much traction. What do others think?

Just to make it clear, I think its a great idea to have a thread for less than positive feedback; its just that I worry that limiting to labs will result in a relatively inactive thread...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
I'm concerned a thread about vendors with questionable practice will be umpteen pages long; there are far more unscrupulous vendors than trustworthy vendors. :wacko: I would also prefer it if those vendors are given a chance to explain their side as well. It is an extremely serious matter when one question a vendor's name and reputation.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock

I think that this is a great idea. I would think that most of the traffic here comes from newbies looking for a good deal. Unfortunately, CS can be a lot more difficult to interpret than regular, colorless diamonds, IMO. Most people probably do enough research to get a general idea of what they're looking for, but not enough to make an informed decision on their own. This can actually cause more harm than good, because one might start looking for "buzz words" and end up getting swindled. Furthermore, it seems that shady vendors often use blatant lies and seemingly low prices to draw people in...and it works, in part, because the recommended vendors may have higher prices (for good reason) and people then go searching for a "better" deal. I think having a list of unscrupulous vendors/labs is just as important and helpful as the list of recommended vendors.

ETA: Chrono brings up a good point. It would be hard to prevent abuse/slander. Maybe there could be a way to lock the thread and have new posts "approved" before adding?

LimitedGems

Rough_Rock
I have also found a BAD thing regarding a vendor on eBay. I have tried to get them to get an AIGS certificate for the gemstones I have purchased in their online store. Every single time they tell me that it was a error in their listings, or that the item is no longer in stock, and a lot of excuses. But when I do not request an AIGS certificate there's NEVER a problem.

So I purchased couple of cheap gemstones from them without certificates because I have heard a lot of positive things about them at PS. Then I sent the gemstones to AGL. Their gemstones are TREATED and are not untreated/unheated as claimed in their listings.

The vendor (same owner of all):
gemcatalogue
vvs1gem
odysseygem

I can not understand they got so many positive feedbacks at eBay. People trust them and dont know what they're buying or what?

Regarding diamond delears from Thailand;
95% of all diamonds sold on eBay from Thailand are being sold by one owner. I have checked shipping papers from plenty of them and all are registered under one single name, while the eBay stores are registered in different names.

You can aslo see that if one diamond does not sell in one store they switch and sell it in one of their other stores. Sometimes there's even 3 stores selling the same diamond at the same time.

If you know for example:
gemglitz09
r.p.gems
jewelofthai09

All three of them has the same owner and you should stear away from these stores. They are nothing but rip-offs. They steal your money. They are selling the same gemstones over and over and over and over again and get paid by different buyers each time. They even emptied my PayPal Account, yes, they cleaned it out. I even have a Police Report to verify it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even with recommended vendors, the "trust but verify" mantra holds true. For often treated gemstones such as sapphire and ruby, I would not purchase without a lab report from a big name lab. I made sure the sale of the sapphire I purchased from Odyssey was contingent upon the result of the lab report. There have also been unintentional mistakes made by several vendors on the same list. The list is there to make the experience safer and removes much of the guesswork but we must still do due diligence.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1388283064|3582225 said:
Minou,
I'm concerned a thread about vendors with questionable practice will be umpteen pages long; there are far more unscrupulous vendors than trustworthy vendors. :wacko: I would also prefer it if those vendors are given a chance to explain their side as well. It is an extremely serious matter when one question a vendor's name and reputation.

Totally agree - I have no interest in creating some venue or forum for anyone who thinks they were slighted to come and whine. But that said, there are certain names that repeat over an over, and SLP is one.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
LimitedGems|1388284239|3582235 said:
I have also found a BAD thing regarding a vendor on eBay. I have tried to get them to get an AIGS certificate for the gemstones I have purchased in their online store. Every single time they tell me that it was a error in their listings, or that the item is no longer in stock, and a lot of excuses. But when I do not request an AIGS certificate there's NEVER a problem.

So I purchased couple of cheap gemstones from them without certificates because I have heard a lot of positive things about them at PS. Then I sent the gemstones to AGL. Their gemstones are TREATED and are not untreated/unheated as claimed in their listings.

The vendor (same owner of all):
gemcatalogue
vvs1gem
odysseygem

I can not understand they got so many positive feedbacks at eBay. People trust them and dont know what they're buying or what?

I've noticed they changed their photography methods and background. They used to display stone on a white background, now is on grey background with a very strong contrast. I can no longer read their videos accurately. Lately I bought a stone looks very saturated in video, when I receive it, it is 3 or 4 levels lighter in saturation. I don't see any of the strong saturation in video. Then I returned the stone. Another stone shows an ugly modifier which can't see in video. So I returned that one too. After that I bought two stones seperately and paid only to be told that both were sold last week twice. It seems like they are pissed off because of the return, which is due to misrepresentation of their videos. I can not say on the treatment matter since I didn't keep the stones in the end

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They even emptied my PayPal Account, yes, they cleaned it out. I even have a Police Report to verify it.

How was this done?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1388363924|3582756 said:
They even emptied my PayPal Account, yes, they cleaned it out. I even have a Police Report to verify it.

How was this done?

LD: I didn't catch this before, so thank you for following up and asking the question - I too, found this confusing.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think a list with labs that do their job is a great idea.

In Bangkok there is ample choice of 100% incorruptible labs. Nobody would send a 6 carat unheated pad to a no-name lab. It is just so silly.

If one cannot wait 6 weeks for a GIA report, there are a half dozen other labs (AIGS, Tokyo, EMIL, GGTL) that will give you a restraining order if you try to influence their results.

Yes, AGL or Gueblin are great labs but not for every stones all the time.

In any case a red flag should go up when a trader refuses to have a high value stone tested in a high value lab.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemglitz09, r.p.gems, jewelofthai09
All three of them has the same owner and you should steer away from these stores. They are nothing but rip-offs. They steal your money. They are selling the same gemstones over and over and over and over again and get paid by different buyers each time. They even emptied my PayPal Account, yes, they cleaned it out. I even have a Police Report to verify it.

Like the other posters, I would like to know how it is possible for a vendor to empty out one's PP account. I thought a vendor can only send you an invoice, which requires a person to log-in and click on several acknowledgement buttons before payment is made?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1388345755|3582598 said:
I've noticed they changed their photography methods and background. They used to display stone on a white background, now is on grey background with a very strong contrast. I can no longer read their videos accurately. Lately I bought a stone looks very saturated in video, when I receive it, it is 3 or 4 levels lighter in saturation. I don't see any of the strong saturation in video. Then I returned the stone. Another stone shows an ugly modifier which can't see in video. So I returned that one too. After that I bought two stones separately and paid only to be told that both were sold last week twice. It seems like they are pissed off because of the return, which is due to misrepresentation of their videos. I cannot say on the treatment matter since I didn't keep the stones in the end

This is good to know. I can understand a saturation difference of 1 level less than pictured but 3 to 4 levels is disturbing, to say the least.

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There are good labs in Bangkok for $10, so no one even remotely has a reason to use a shoddy one.
For instance, EMIL, which in my opinion is good (I wouldn’t buy a 5 figures gem based on it, but it still is a good one, you just don't expect the same level of diligence for the price, but I never had issues with it, unlike one pseudo-swiss lab) charges THB 300 (about USD 9).

Same as Ed. When you don’t know the lab, offer to pay just for a new lab certificate, and to pay the rest next. I don’t see a genuine seller who will refuse.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
colorchange|1388417716|3583014 said:
There are good labs in Bangkok for $10, so no one even remotely has a reason to use a shoddy one.
For instance, EMIL, which in my opinion is good (I wouldn’t buy a 5 figures gem based on it, but it still is a good one, you just don't expect the same level of diligence for the price, but I never had issues with it, unlike one pseudo-swiss lab) charges THB 300 (about USD 9).

Same as Ed. When you don’t know the lab, offer to pay just for a new lab certificate, and to pay the rest next. I don’t see a genuine seller who will refuse.

I think EMIL is good too. I have used them before, and it turns out pretty accurate. They even give you origin opinion on the small certificate which I really appreciate for $15.

Now what about GLC certificate? Some Thai sellers are starting to use this one

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1388424430|3583061 said:
colorchange|1388417716|3583014 said:

I think EMIL is good too. I have used them before, and it turns out pretty accurate. They even give you origin opinion on the small certificate which I really appreciate for $15.

Now what about GLC certificate? Some Thai sellers are starting to use this one

At least GLC has a website, and you can verify the report there.

http://www.glclab.com/

Not sure how accurate they are, but at the very least, a lab should have a place that you can verify the report.

Burapha is good too, but again, I wouldn't use these labs for rubies, sapphires, diamonds, or even emeralds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just so everyone knows, I had a lot of problems with AIGS and sapphires. They could tell me my stone was heated, but nothing further, because at the time, they had no way of testing for diffusion. They kind of beat around the bush when I asked them about possible diffusion. I think since then they obtained an LIBS to test for diffusion, but it's not as accurate as a mass spectrometer machine that AGL and GIA have access to.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The short of it is this; to verify that the stone isn't a simulant (or that it is what it is advertised to be), smaller labs do great for garnets, tourmaline, zircon, etc. For verifying that a stone is untreated or heat only (no diffusion) and any clarity enhancement of the big three (sapphire, ruby and emerald) or a for a stone of great value, I would only stick with the big name labs. I am not so confident a smaller lab is able to pick up on the newer synthetics and treatment methods.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1388505409|3583773 said:
Just so everyone knows, I had a lot of problems with AIGS and sapphires. They could tell me my stone was heated, but nothing further, because at the time, they had no way of testing for diffusion. They kind of beat around the bush when I asked them about possible diffusion. I think since then they obtained an LIBS to test for diffusion, but it's not as accurate as a mass spectrometer machine that AGL and GIA have access to.

TL: I have heard this too, but can you elaborate? I was hoping to be able to use AIGS in a pinch now that they have LIBS, but what does a LIBS miss that LA-ICP-MS catches? I was laboring under the (apparently false) belief that the mass spectrometer allowed testers to capture more specific data about origin, but that LIBS was enough to prove presence of diffusion? TIA.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
Check this out. This is a study by GIA. The answer you are looking for is in the last paragraph.
http://www.gia.edu/doi/10_5741-GEMS_40_4_314

ETA
I am having trouble linking to the LA-ICP-MS GIA paper. In short:
LA-ICP-MS- more accurate, smaller laser hole (less damage to the stone) and yes, able to detect more, thereby give a better guess as to the origin.

Found it. As usual, see the chart at the very end of the paper to see a side by side comparison of LA-ICP-MS, SIMS and LIBS.
http://www.gia.edu/doi/10_5741-GEMS_42_2_98

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1388512106|3583861 said:
Minou,
Check this out. This is a study by GIA. The answer you are looking for is in the last paragraph.
http://www.gia.edu/doi/10_5741-GEMS_40_4_314

ETA
I am having trouble linking to the LA-ICP-MS GIA paper. In short:
LA-ICP-MS- more accurate, smaller laser hole (less damage to the stone) and yes, able to detect more, thereby give a better guess as to the origin.

Found it. As usual, see the chart at the very end of the paper to see a side by side comparison of LA-ICP-MS, SIMS and LIBS.
http://www.gia.edu/doi/10_5741-GEMS_42_2_98

Yes, thanks! I am familiar with the articles and understood there to be differences between the two. Perhaps I was reading TL's statement incorrectly, but I *thought* she was saying that LIBS is not as accurate as mass spectrometry in identifying diffusion, which is why I was hoping she could answer. There are large differences in capabilities between machines, no doubt, but the one I would imagine most of us consumers care about is whether the machines can accurately identify introduction of foreign substances and any compromising of the crystal structure through lattice diffusion. TL, did I read too much into your answer?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results