shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire update, and opinion on sapphire/diamond setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iloveblue

Rough_Rock

Hi all,

For those of you who''ve been following my sapphire hunt and providing such invaluable advice, I''ve been in touch both with Gary Dutton (http://www.diamondexpert.com/) and Matt at AJS (www.ajsgems.com). I''m focusing on them rather than NSC because I really don''t have a preference for unheated gems. (The draw of NSC is their mutiple photos and movie of the stone, along with all the specs right there for you to read.)

They''re both getting me additional info on some stones. The one Gary has is pretty but not quite the right size. I''m hoping to find one that is an oval, approximately 8X6 or 9X7 so that I can set it in a stock cluster setting that is fairly classic (i.e., why go custom)? Matt is steering me toward the following sapphire after reading the description of what I want, so I''ve asked for additional information. The price tag is mighty hefty for me, and there''s another one that is $1000 less, so I asked him whether the pricier one is indeed $1000 better in terms of color.

He said the following: "The sapphire you are looking at is quite lovely {mine is #2 below}, although it does have a small window, which should be hidden when the stone is set. Based on your preferences, however, I recommend that you consider SAP-00725 {#1 below}. This stone has an amazing vividness and a deeper saturation, the picture does not do this stone justice. Although the tone is slightly darker than the first, I think this is what you are looking for and will look perfect in a Princess-Diana style cluster setting."

Here are the two links to the stones:
http://www.ajsgems.com/product/1b99579c-5c07-4a34-8246-182bf3fd1c7b.aspx
$3800
Total Weight: 3.08 carats
Size: 8.50 x 6.90 x 5.80 mm
Origin: Ceylon
Clarity: Almost Loupe Clean
Treatment: Heated
Shape: Oval
Cut: Step Cut
http://www.ajsgems.com/product/9718b022-eb0f-49f4-ba4a-6a5f3273a576.aspx
$2700
Total Weight: 3.08 carats
Size: 9.20 x 6.60 x 5.30 mm
Origin: Madagascar
Clarity: Eye Clean
Treatment: Heated
Shape: Oval
Cut: Step Cut
And last but not least, just to confuse things slightly (although I really don''t think I''m going to change my course), I found a very pretty setting, below. I like that it''s kind of antiquey looking and has the cluster look, also. But, I wonder if it''s going to seem kinda trendy after a few years--the bezel/halo thing. It''s kind of unusual, and I wonder what you folks think about it. I''m going to try one on at a local jeweler. Unfortunately though, if I like it and switch gears, I''ll need to get a round sapphire, and that''s a bit harder, isn''t it?

Anyway, what do you think? Safer to just stick with the Diana-style cluster setting because it''s fairly classic? (Keep in mind this is an engagement ring, not a right-hand ring for special occasions.)

26169A.jpg

iloveblue

Rough_Rock
I hope I''m not posting this twice....

Here''s the side view of the above setting.

26169Bx.jpg

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
From the photos of the sapphires I definitely like #2 better. But if Matt is telling you that the other one is a nicer/better stone it might be worth getting them sent to you so you can decide in person, or if that is not a possibility at least requesting photos of them side by side so you can compare them better.

As for the other setting you posted, I like it but I think that the "Diana" style setting will be more timeless and classic (which seems to be what you are aiming for).

G/L with your hunt, I am looking forward to seeing the final product
1.gif

iloveblue

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input, PoshPepper. (And I like that cute little kitty slurping my screen!)

Yes, I liked the Diana-style cluster even when I much younger, so perhaps I should be gearing toward the ring that over at least 10 years, I''ve always liked. And it''s been around since Victorian times (which I discovered when looking into antique rings), so it''s a classic. I like it on my hand, too, which is important. (Some I just love in the showcase but don''t like on my short, stubby fingers.) A local jeweler has one of the others that I can try on, so I''m going to just to see.

Funny with the sapphires--I liked #2 (the less expensive one) better, too. I like that vibrant, electric blue. I''ve requested additional photos and am hoping they''ll show me the colors in different lights so that I can see what Matt''s referring.

Do people frequently order a couple of stones and choose? Seems kinda scary!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like you and Posh, I prefer the colour of #2 based on the picture, but the shape of #1. If you want a bezel, you don't want the stone to be too dark in the first place because you will have less light (or even none) coming in from the sides. So a dark stone will appear even darker.

I second Posh's suggestion to have Mike take a picture of the 2 stones side by side. He is recommending #1 for a good reason but I can't tell just from the picture, so a comparison of the 2 together (under the exact lighting condition) will help.

ETA
I like that setting. It doesn't scream the typical halo, it looks almost like a matured halo. And it certainly does not look like an engagement ring.

iloveblue

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Chrono.

And, well, this is why I''m on this site--it didn''t even occur to me to tell Matt to take side-by-side photos. Hello! What a doofus. I''m going to e-mail him and ask that he do side-by-sides, too.

To clarify--if I use the oval, it will be in the cluster Diana style setting. If I go with the bezel/halo setting I posted, though, it will be a round (which I haven''t even tried to look for--seems like it will be more difficult). And I''ll be using it as my engagement ring, so I definitely plan on wearing it every day. Good point about the bezel-set making it look darker. If I end up going that route, I''ll definitely keep that in mind.

I love your characterization of that ring..."a matured halo." Heh.
41.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Ditto-ing Chrono...that second one isn''t very well proportioned for a stock setting, but it does have lovely color. What happened with the $2800 2.49 ct (SAP-00781) you were looking at before? It''s $1000 less, and faces up the same size as the 3.08. Too dark?

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a photo of a setting similar to the one you posted, but has an oval stone in it. It might give you a better idea if you would like it with an oval. I came across it in my search for a new setting and in it went into my ring file. Here it is:

harvey&gore.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results