shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire, Spinel or Amethyst for RHR?

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
Hello amazing gemstone experts! I guess I'm not a "newbie" since I've posted before but I don't know nearly as much as all of the experts on here so hoping for some advice and guidance. I am pregnant with my first child (baby girl) and as a push present, I really want a large (around 4 carats) light purple/lavender ring with a diamond halo that I would wear as a right hand ring. I'm not entirely decided on the shape of the stone but I'm envisioning oval. I'm not sure what stone would be the best . . . a purple sapphire, spinel or amethyst? It seems to me that amethysts are definitely the cheapest by far, but price isn't exactly a huge concern to me. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed in my search because I'm just not sure where to start. This wouldn't be a ring that I wear every day, and I'm also very careful with my rings, but I also understand that these 3 stones are all pretty durable for ring use, right? Aside from price, is there any compelling reason to choose one type of stone over the other for a right hand ring?

In searching for inspiration pictures online, I came across this ring on etsy which I really love and might even consider purchasing. I've also noticed that pricescope members have recommended this etsy vendor so that makes me feel good:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/196303644/holiday-sale-agl-certified-439-carat?ref=hp_mod_rf

Is there anything I should be concerned about right away with respect to this ring?

Thanks very much for your assistance and advice!

S

SparkliesLuver

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I thought I'd chime in on your link since I've dealt with Julia before and it was a great experience. I purchased a loose stone and unfortunately it was too small (it was the first stone I purchased so I wasn't very sure of the size (in mm) I was looking for). I returned it without hassle, and she refunded me the day she received it. So, honestly, if you're eyeing this one, I'd order it and see it in person because it might be "the one." And if it's not, it might give you some further insight into what you're after.

ETA: Her videos are usually pretty helpful: http://youtu.be/oILHa8iv8jI..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of durability cost, it goes down the list this way: sapphire -> spinel -> amethyst. That said, I find that amethyst does purple the best, especially those with both blue and red flash (not just the run of the mill amethyst). All are suited as right hand rings that are worn with care. I understand that Julia is an honest vendor but I'd still like to see the AGL brief report (just curious to see the depth measurement). Also note that the colour looks quite different in the last picture.

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
In terms of durability cost, it goes down the list this way: sapphire -> spinel -> amethyst. That said, I find that amethyst does purple the best, especially those with both blue and red flash (not just the run of the mill amethyst). All are suited as right hand rings that are worn with care. I understand that Julia is an honest vendor but I'd still like to see the AGL brief report (just curious to see the depth measurement). Also note that the colour looks quite different in the last picture.

Chrono! I'm so glad you replied. You seem so knowledgeable. :) I did ask Julia to send me a copy of the agl report. I also asked for more pictures in different lighting. Do you think there's a "best" light that she should take the picture in? Also did you have a chance to check out the youtube video? Here is the link, any thoughts? Again, I'm definitely not an expert, but this light purple color is what I am looking for.

Youtube video:
http://youtu.be/oILHa8iv8jI

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best light for sapphires is always diffused sunlight. The worst light is generally fluorescent or most indoor light sources where the stone doesn't look its best. The video is taken outdoors under the best light condition possible, so she is showing you the nicest side of the stone. I'd like to see the not so nice side of the sapphire as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While amethysts do purple well, I'm always keen to point out that they have a very low refractive index and they don't have the same luster as a sapphire or a spinel. IMO, a fine blue/violet spinel can radiate wonderful flashes of other color and amazing brilliance, but its really really difficult to find a good one. A nice purple sapphire can also be a challenge to find.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Do people have recommendations for finding amethyst with blue and red flash?

Is the stone windowed?

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
While amethysts do purple well, I'm always keen to point out that they have a very low refractive index and they don't have the same luster as a sapphire or a spinel. IMO, a fine blue/violet spinel can radiate wonderful flashes of other color and amazing brilliance, but its really really difficult to find a good one. A nice purple sapphire can also be a challenge to find.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. :)

Thank you TL! I know you're another super top expert on here so would love to get your specific thoughts, if you have any, on that ring from Julia B from etsy?

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
Sparklieslover, great to hear that you had a positive experience with JuliaB. Do you know if she cuts the stones herself? Just wondering.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think she cuts the stones herself.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chicago Girl|1415207788|3778043 said:
would love to get your specific thoughts, if you have any, on that ring from Julia B from etsy?

I think its pretty, but I worry about the color going very dull or unsaturated in fluorescent or indoor lighting, as Chrono suggested. You're not always going to be wearing it under a bright sunny sky under a tree, so you have to be careful that if you are in a certain environment all the time (say an office with fluorescents), it looks good there as well. Not all stones look great in all lighting situations, but you want to make sure the gem looks best in the lighting situation you'll be in the most often.

I will say that the things I do like about that sapphire are the tone, luster and the brilliance, although I think there is a small window which is masked by the gallery of the setting. With sapphires, you usually can't have perfection in color, cut, size, clarity unless you spend a fortune. There is also some grey in the stone, but I don't think it makes the stone look unpleasant at all.

I'm also glad it comes with an AGL report.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chicago Girl said:
Sparklieslover, great to hear that you had a positive experience with JuliaB. Do you know if she cuts the stones herself? Just wondering.

As far as I know, she does not.

S

SparkliesLuver

Found this, and thought I'd throw it out there. Might be worth asking about despite the tiny window.

4.26cts
10.5 x 8.6 x 5.7mm
VVS-VS
$2,950
"Lightest brightest lilac sapphire oval! Extremely brilliant and flashy. Tiny window may close in setting. Unheated with a GIA lab report included."

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

sapphire_blue_1213_a.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just looked at the pre-loved section and found a 3.15 ctw purple spinel that looks to be cut very nicely and is priced at a very reasonable 349.00. I also like amethyst. It is one of my favorite and I don't care if its price is lower than most.

You should look at that purple spinel. I'm surprised its still there.

Annette

Its MinewsB who knows her gems. Its listed on Loupe troupe.

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
I think its pretty, but I worry about the color going very dull or unsaturated in fluorescent or indoor lighting, as Chrono suggested. You're not always going to be wearing it under a bright sunny sky under a tree, so you have to be careful that if you are in a certain environment all the time (say an office with fluorescents), it looks good there as well. Not all stones look great in all lighting situations, but you want to make sure the gem looks best in the lighting situation you'll be in the most often.

Thank you for that advice, I will ask her to send me some pictures of the ring in other lighting situations. I do work in an office so am under florescent lighting a lot. I would also imagine I'd wear this ring out to dinner in dimly lit areas so I guess I could ask for pictures where there isn't a lot of direct light at all. Thank you!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I just looked at the pre-loved section and found a 3.15 ctw purple spinel that looks to be cut very nicely and is priced at a very reasonable 349.00. I also like amethyst. It is one of my favorite and I don't care if its price is lower than most.

Annette

I don't know if I'm not looking correctly, but I couldn't find it :(

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Chicago Girl said:
Hi,

Annette

I don't know if I'm not looking correctly, but I couldn't find it :(

I'm sorry... When I checked it looked like it sold awhile ago.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JD is a trusted CS vendor, and I have made a number of purchases from him recently, received the stones from one listing and waiting for the stones from 3 listings to arrive.

I looked at the video of the purple Spinel and it looked very sparkly to me, and could not observe the dark spots in the vid. However, I am still an infant in the world of CS and am learning from the other experts.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the purple Spinel myself, for its cut, colour and price!

DK :))

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the color of the sapphire over the spinel from JD, because of the gray mask. I very much like Julia's ring and have been eying that one for a while. These are all right up my alley as far as color goes.

Do you like more pink to your purple or more blue?

Chicago Girl

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1415227675|3778215 said:
I prefer the color of the sapphire over the spinel from JD, because of the gray mask. I very much like Julia's ring and have been eying that one for a while. These are all right up my alley as far as color goes.

It sounds like we have similar tastes in color! I've also been eyeing Julia's ring for a while! And when it went on sale I thought it was a sign that I should get it. :love: I think the JD sapphire looks cool, it almost looks florescent to me in the picture. Does he normally send additional pictures if you request it? His pictures look great but they're obviously not what the stone would look like from a normal bird's eye view.

Hmm, I think I would want more blue to my purple than pink. Although I guess I don't feel super strongly one way or the other.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chicago Girl|1415227947|3778218 said:
FrekeChild|1415227675|3778215 said:

It sounds like we have similar tastes in color! I've also been eyeing Julia's ring for a while! And when it went on sale I thought it was a sign that I should get it. :love: I think the JD sapphire looks cool, it almost looks florescent to me in the picture. Does he normally send additional pictures if you request it? His pictures look great but they're obviously not what the stone would look like from a normal bird's eye view.

Hmm, I think I would want more blue to my purple than pink. Although I guess I don't feel super strongly one way or the other.
I'd ask him for more pictures if it'll help you decide. His stones can tend to look a bit darker IRL, sometimes. I really do like Julia's. I would probably do Julia's, because of her 5 day return policy and because I like the color the most. Plus, it's already set! There isn't an easy answer, no matter what!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you live in the tropics where the sun is brutally strong and "on" most of the time, I would not get the spinel. It needs strong lighting for the colour to show or you'll end up looking at a mostly blackish stone on your hand. The sapphire is nice and bright from the good cutting. A thin strip of bowtie, if you can overlook it. If you really like Julia's ring, why not order it and see it in person to decide whether it's the right one for you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results