shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Design/Ideas Help

T

talamasca

Hello Pricescopers……long time!

I am hoping that some of you may be able to help me come to a decision on a ring that I'm looking to have made, probably next year as I'll need to save up first!

I have a lovely hexagon smokey quartz cut for me by Doug at Bespoke Gems (here's previous link - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-lovely-smoky.163905/) which has been sat in my jewellery box for ages patiently waiting to be set.

Anyway, I know I definitely want a rose gold (the pinker the better) right-hand ring for my middle finger, and since that finger's a bit on the chubby side I'd like something a little bigger than I would usually wear, but not too big as it will be worn every day.

My initial thoughts were set in a 6 prong trellis setting with trilliant side stones (not too sure on their colour, either D-L diamonds or light pink spinels/sapphires), but I just can’t find a design or come up with a complete design that I really love. I've found lots of elements I like, but can't make them work together! I've also seen a few bezel settings that I like, but I don't want to lose the flashiness of my stone. Oh, and how best to prevent/lessen tilt window (as seen in photo 6)? I'm struggling trying to decide what I actually want, which isn’t helped by the fact that I haven't been able to find that many hexagon ring designs LOL

So, below are a couple of pics of the stone and its companion rings!

Also below are some inspiration designs, one of which is BGD's Diana, which I absolutely LOVE, but as I think my stone looks better with points at North and South, the very elements of the ring I like, the open setting and heart in profile wouldn't work! I did wonder whether, keeping with the Diana design, could a thin bezel could go around my stone instead of having 2 more prongs for the North and South points and that way still keep the openness and heart…..?

Oh, and lastly, I'm not sure which Jeweller to use. I've only had 3 rings made previously and they were all done by DanielM on etsy, which after reading about the recent troubles, I'm sadly not overly confident with using again. Plus, I'm based in the UK and I know some don't ship internationally.

I think it's obvious, that I really don't know what I want LOL, so any other ideas or thoughts to help me come to a decision would be greatly appreciated, thank you

My Smokey:
sq1.jpg
sq2.jpg
sq3.jpg
sq4.jpg
sq5.jpg
Tilt window
sq6_tilt_window.jpg
sq7.jpg

Ring Ideas:

BGD Diana :love:
1_397.jpg

Love top, but...
2a_0.jpg

...don't like profile
2b_0.jpg

Love profile (c)danielm&kyme73
3_158.jpg

Nice profile (c) WF trellis
4_89.jpg

Love claw prongs and hearts for trellis
7_29.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the setting? Most of the pictures shown are custom settings from vendors that are usually in the $2K USD range.

T

talamasca

Hi, I was thinking about £1,600 including insurance, postage and import tax, which I think is about $2,500?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All right, with the budget concerns out of the way, let's throw some ideas around. I noticed that the depth is 7 mm, so do you want it set as low as possible since it isn't a particularly durable stone? I would first try out the quartz with actual rose gold settings to make sure that the colour/effect is what you want. Sometimes what we like does not make the stone look good.

If you cup the stone in your hand, does the tilt window become less dramatic? Unfortunately, quartz has low RI so it is unavoidable. If you want to play up the unique shape, you can bezel only the girdle, leaving the rest of the setting open to allow as much light in as possible. You'll need a bench with soft hands for that task though.

collet_bezel.jpg

T

talamasca

Hi, so I had a play with metal colours and I def prefer it with rose gold, I like that it goes a little darker/warmer in tone, or at least that's how it appears to me LOL

metal_colours.jpg

I emailed BGD who were very helpful and also informed me of the softness of the stone....I hadn't realised/even thought tbh so in view of that I think I'll go for prongs. I do like the profile look of that bezel, but from looking at others from above, I'm not as keen I don't think.

You can still see through a bit when cupped, and again the RI isn't something I knew about so I'll just have to live with it.

I've been scouring the internet and I'm liking trellis styles more and more and I've got over not having the heart in the profile as shown in Diana ring and if I went with trilliant sides I could have heart prongs like previous pic above. I measured one of the stone's edges and its 5mm, does that mean I'd want 5mm trills?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want the trilliants to be 4 mm if the sides of the quartz is 5 mm because you have to account for the prongs. If you go with 5 mm sides, the prongs will stick out above the it and break the flow.

T

talamasca

OK, thanks.

In the WF trellis above, do those lines of metal which the sidestones are sat in have a name?

I'm trying to find an example of that trellis but without those metal lines.....if you happen across a pic please could you post it?

T

talamasca

Yeah, I think it's going to be that setting, if it will work with my hexagon centre stone......just need to get saving now! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results