shape
carat
color
clarity

Richard Homer Mandarin Spess Glowball!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Richard Homer has created my ideal mandarin spess glowball!!!

After much researching & searching, I reached out to him about a piece in his inventory, but it had sold, and so our correspondence began. I sent him a pic of my 'inspiration spess' - an ever so bright mandarin orange round concave cut stone. Not only was I looking for a gorgeous color that didn't brown out or shift to either a wonky yellow or red, but I was also looking for an eye clean stone in a large size, hopeful to one day find such an item at 8mm+

He was such a pleasure to work with and took a great deal of time corresponding about different potential pieces, answering my questions, and even educating me. After much correspondence and with a great deal of serendipitous luck, he searched through his inventory of rough one more time and happened to find a piece that was perfect for what I was after - an higher quality of color than I could have hoped for (perfect tone & without any red or brown), excellent clarity, and appropriate for a large round!

Having just received the spess, it exceeds my expectations in every way! It is a 2.78 carat round concave brilliant from Namibia and turned out to be a fantastic 8.4mm! The color is fantastic - a glorious, bright orange that holds in every way, shape, and form, regardless of the lighting environment (yep, spot on for Sunkist soda and even glows in shadows!). Its clarity is unbelievable for a spess - just a veil off in the periphery, which Richard's cutting camouflaged so well that I am beyond hard pressed to find it face up, even at just an inch or two away from the stone. And, I'm sure it goes without saying, but now having seen one of Richard's stones in person, his cutting is truly amazing! The stone just lights up and the radial pattern of the faceting is mesmerizing with the way that it mimics the sun! I couldn't be more pleased, and I would work with Richard again in a heart beat!

So, on with the pics! First up, the inspiration spess, then Richard's pics, and finally mine (I promise they're worth the wait!)

inspiration_spess.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I received Richard's email with details about the stone had turned out and his pics, I was beside myself and couldn't wait to receive this beauty! Here are just a few :)

7469manspessblkbackgrnd.jpg

manspessoutdoorcloudyblkbkgrndcloseup.jpg

manspessoutdoorcldycloseupwhitebkgrnd.jpg

manspessoutdoorcloudycloseup.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its beautiful!
I personally find his cutting so memorizing and I think medium to light tones like that look great with it

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I received the stone, I couldn't believe how beautifully it turned out. Talk about a stunning orange, orange - coupled with fantastic cutting, and I don't know how I could ever hope for more! First up, handshots!

on_hand_-_3.jpg

on_hand_-_lit_up.jpg

on_2.jpg

glows_in_the_shadows.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As compared to Sunkist soda, each closer up than the next!

(yep - I couldn't pick which to post, so why not all three? :rodent:)

sunkist_match_.jpg

sunkist_match_-_close_up.jpg

sunkist_match_-_super_close_up.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a fan of Richard Homer's concave cuts, and the stone is stunning, thanks for sharing!

DK :))

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1405797712|3716681 said:
Its beautiful!
I personally find his cutting so memorizing and I think medium to light tones like that look great with it

Thank you so much Neil - and, re: Richard's cutting and tones - I totally agree with you in every way!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dk168|1405798622|3716691 said:
I am a fan of Richard Homer's concave cuts, and the stone is stunning, thanks for sharing!

DK :))

Thank you, DK - I appreciate it!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Great colour, big size, fantastic cut. Ugh, it's another top gem that i'm jealous of on PS. :lickout:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Love the sunkist pics :)

Concave cutting works so well on a spess like this - it's really fantastic!! Enjoy your new baby!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1405799144|3716699 said:
I'm so exciting for you. It looks juicy!

Thank you so much Pregcurious! That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it, such a great word!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1405800574|3716710 said:
Great colour, big size, fantastic cut. Ugh, it's another top gem that i'm jealous of on PS. :lickout:

Ahhh shucks, you're gonna make me blush, but seriously, there are too many jealous-worthy stones on this forum for me to even count!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats....and welcome to orange world!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
katharath|1405800671|3716712 said:
Love the sunkist pics :)

Concave cutting works so well on a spess like this - it's really fantastic!! Enjoy your new baby!

Thank you! Those Sunkist pics were fun to take, and Richard totally hit it out of the ballpark - I'll enjoy this one for many years to come!

ephsea|1405802875|3716720 said:
It looks like a small sun :clap:

That's exactly what we were going for!

innerkitten|1405805811|3716736 said:
Ooooooh. Amazing glow!

Innerkitten - thank you - I'm still astounded by it!

movie zombie|1405806351|3716737 said:
congrats....and welcome to orange world!

OMG - I love the orange world - never thought I would, but your stone and others on the forum completely opened my eyes!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
That is incredible!!! Yummy orange, it looks like your name, endless summer sunshine!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1405807900|3716744 said:
Gorgeous! It looks like a really yummy piece of candy.

Zoe, thank you! I did, for a second there, debate whether it was edible ;))

woofmama|1405811821|3716767 said:
That is incredible!!! Yummy orange, it looks like your name, endless summer sunshine!

Woofmama - that is such a sweet compliment! I'm very happy to have a little sun and am so looking forward to wearing it!

mochiko42|1405818328|3716816 said:
That's one amazing rock. Love how glowy it is!

Mochiko, thank you! I'm convinced spesses really do have a special glow about them, and Richard did an amazing job bringing it out!

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have never been into concave cuts but it looks amazing with your stone! It reminds me of the sun! Love it! :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
endless, like you I never thought orange would rock my boat either!

have you decided how to set it yet? please Please PLEASE don't halo it....!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ilovegemstones|1405864339|3717015 said:
I have never been into concave cuts but it looks amazing with your stone! It reminds me of the sun! Love it! :appl:

Ilovegemstones - thank you sooooo very much! I thought I felt the same way about concave cuts until I saw LtlFirecracker's thread on her beautiful Richard Homer spess, and then I looked at every picture I could find…I have to say there was just something about Richard's cut and the way that it lit up the stone like a little sun that just amazed me, and that was that! I just feel very fortunate that he was so patient with me and took the time to go through his inventory to find a piece that would create exactly what I was after and, in reality, a piece that was even bigger and better than what I had even hoped to find - it was very clear to me that he really cared about education and that I would be happy with the stone. I can't say enough good things about him and how pleased I am with how the stone turned out - it was a great experience!

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Add me to the "never been a fan of concave cuts, but this stone is making me change my mind" group. This is gorgeous! :appl:

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1405867786|3717036 said:
endless, like you I never thought orange would rock my boat either!

have you decided how to set it yet? please Please PLEASE don't halo it....!

Isn't it funny how tastes can change? Or, maybe more appropriately what you think your tastes might be until you learn more and see some examples? :cheeky:

And, I hadn't even contemplated a halo for this stone! I really want to complement the fantastic modern cut with a modern setting, so I'm really thinking either the Sholdt bypass semi-bezel or the more classic semi-bezel (both attached). I'd love your (and anyone else's!) thoughts putting this baby in platinum and which one you like best. I thought about trying to go custom to create a two-toned semi bezel, which yellow gold around the stone and platinum for the shank, but I worry that going that route might disrupt the flow of the ring. I think the bypass has a lighter feel to it and also plays up the little sun, while the second has a bit of a heavier look, but seems more timeless & streamlined :) I understand that bezels make it impossible/near impossible to safely re-set a stone, but I wonder if the same holds true for the semi-bezels, especially for a garnet, which is durable but not diamond/sapphire/spinel durable. The inverse of that being that I figure the semi-bezel would help protect the stone while wearing it…such fun decisions!

bypass_semi-bezel.jpg

classic_semi-bezel.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VirginiaZee|1405870807|3717059 said:
Add me to the "never been a fan of concave cuts, but this stone is making me change my mind" group. This is gorgeous! :appl:

Thank you so much VirginiaZee!!! I had read that pics don't even come close to really capturing the effect of Richard's cuts and honestly didn't believe it - I tried my best, but they really are more fantastic in real life. The best way that I can describe it is that the faceting doesn't really turn on and off in the same way that flat-faceted contrast patterns do - instead, the stone lights up more evenly in that radial pattern and seems to want to stay lit up all the time :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, my eyes are burned from looking at it! Much prettier than orange soda.

I vote bypass bezel -- it would be absolutely killingly perfect! :love:

--- Laurie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the first setting....Lots!
I like the unique and a warm spess such as yours in white metal would be unique and in a simple bypass as you posted I think would be stunning.
and thank you for not even considering a halo!
your stone can and should be the star of this show!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results