shape
carat
color
clarity

Purplish Sapphire

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Hello Ps,
Exploring the idea of a purplish stone above 2 carats and looking for opinions on colors within the purple family.
Colors that appeal to me: Do they lack saturation and too light in tone, therefore show grey?

_25749.jpg

_25750.jpg

_25751.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GMAC|1420265180|3811214 said:
Hello Ps,
Exploring the idea of a purplish stone above 2 carats and looking for opinions on colors within the purple family.
Colors that appeal to me: Do they lack saturation therefore show grey?

Cool colored stones (blue, violet, green) will show grey if not of vivid or strong saturation. However, just because a stone isn't vivid, that doesn't mean its not beautiful. The lighter toned gems you chose at the top are quite lovely, although they would probably be considered very slightly greyish (at least on my monitor).

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your quick response TL :wavey:
Should I consider the stones above? Would you consider them yourself? I feel I can keep looking, but there will still be a hint of grey. Would I be better off going with a more royal purple stone? I love this:

_25754.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GMAC|1420266521|3811217 said:
Thank you for your quick response TL :wavey:
Should I consider the stones above? Would you consider them yourself? I feel I can keep looking, but there will still be a hint of grey. Would I be better off going with a more royal purple stone? I love this:

Again, there's nothing wrong with a little grey, and in that case, you should go with what you love. If the gem were overly grey, I would ask you to look at or consider more saturated stones in the same hue family to make sure you would be happy with a much more grey gem. I actually own a spinel that light lilac color too, and I love it.

Another thing to consider are different lighting situations because some gems lose saturation in various light sources, such as incandesent, fluorescent, sunlight.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with TL, but to get back to your original question...to ask if a stone is not saturated enough and lacks grey, you can also ask the reverse; is it vivid? When a stone is saturated, and lacks (much) grey (for cool colors) or brown (for warm colors), it is vivid. Here is a diamond that was graded fancy vivid purple by the GIA.

The stones you posted are not what I would consider vivid, but they are beautiful. My favorites are the 2nd one (from Brad at the www.thegemtrader.com), and the one in the ring (owned by a fellow PSer) who bought her stone from Brad.

gia_vividpurple.jpg

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
GMAC, May I ask where that image is from of the pink/purple sapphire ring handshot that is captioned, "no grey, just beautiful flashes of color"? That is a unique stone!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1420433080|3811936 said:
I agree with TL, but to get back to your original question...to ask if a stone is not saturated enough and lacks grey, you can also ask the reverse; is it vivid? When a stone is saturated, and lacks (much) grey (for cool colors) or brown (for warm colors), it is vivid. Here is a diamond that was graded fancy vivid purple by the GIA.

The stones you posted are not what I would consider vivid, but they are beautiful. My favorites are the 2nd one (from Brad at the www.thegemtrader.com), and the one in the ring (owned by a fellow PSer) who bought her stone from Brad.

That is actually a photoshopped version of this diamond.

From here: http://www.gia.edu/fancycoloreddiamond-description

_25936.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1420433080|3811936 said:
to ask if a stone is not saturated enough and lacks grey, you can also ask the reverse; is it vivid? When a stone is saturated, and lacks (much) grey (for cool colors) or brown (for warm colors), it is vivid.

I really like this. So many posters get confused when we talk about seeing grey or brown, but conversely, know exactly what vivid means and how it looks. Its an easier way to grasp it: is this stone vivid? No? Well then you know it will be perceived as having some level of grey (cool colors) or brown (warm colors). However, the lighter the tone in the stone, the less likely one is to see the lack of saturation or, saying it another way, lighter toned stones with lower levels of saturation are often very very lovely and more palatable (at least to me). So I agree: the first stones are lovely despite a slight lack of saturation. But, like Preg, I like the Brad stone better as well.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
IntoTheMystic,
Thank you so much for the link!

Niel,
Thank you as well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results