carat
color
clarity

Purple Spinel Feedback Please

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone!
This is my very first Spinel purchase and I'm super duper excited. Even though I did do my homework I am very inexperienced with Spinel and would love some feedback for some reassurance that I did a job.

The stone is described as follows: Ceylon 3.72 carat spinel, measuring 9.7mm diameter, VS1 clarity, completely untreated. The color is a medium-light purple, with a touch of pink or violet depending on the lighting conditions, no gray. It has been precision-cut in the U.S. for our store in an antique-inspired OEC cut.

I won't have the actual ring for about two weeks, so the photos are the jewelers photos not mine; but they did state that they were taken in natural light and not altered in any way.

_9021.jpg

_9022.jpg

_9023.jpg

_9024.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those pictures are kind of terrible for judging color, but it looks nice. I'd like to see what you think in person.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have returned a few spinels in my time and I will give you my criteria for bad or for good, event though I am a novice. The color should look pleasing in daylight, low light and fluorescent light. It should not look too dark or grey in sunlight and it should throw off nice color flashes from the facets. I look forward to your thoughts when you receive the ring.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on taking the plunge! The photos I find helpful in judging quality are your second and your last. The second shows what looks like good cutting and pretty, delicate color. The last photo in profile shows what looks to be good proportions with a fairly high table. It shows promise and I too look forward to your photos when you have it in hand! :cheeky:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Not the best photos for judging, but from the 2nd photo, it looks like the cutting is very nice, which is important. Color looks delicate & pretty -- the test will be whether it grays out in low light, which you won't know till you receive it. I love the setting -- is it Sally's? Rose gold? Anyway, very good combination w/the stone. I'm looking forward to photos of it IRL!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RissaLou,
Being that the stone is no longer within the return time frame, is there any point to garnering feedback on your spinel? Reassurance and feedback should be requested prior to setting the gemstone. Perhaps you also are aware of this but spinels are untreated and a handful might be heated but again, this is very rare. They are also generally eye clean so the VS1 clarity notation is a bit puzzling.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
I'm pretty sure this was being sold as a completed ring by one of the vendors who's taken to using DB as an Etsy adjunct, so it might still be within the return window. Looks like a pretty stone from the pics, but I haven't purchased from her and don't know anyone who has, so it's tough to judge. She was offering a 5% discount to PS and BTD forum members for a while...

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
cm366|1376915367|3505851 said:
I'm pretty sure this was being sold as a completed ring by one of the vendors who's taken to using DB as an Etsy adjunct, so it might still be within the return window. Looks like a pretty stone from the pics, but I haven't purchased from her and don't know anyone who has, so it's tough to judge. She was offering a 5% discount to PS and BTD forum members for a while...

Your correct :)

The seller is a wonderful woman named Julia who has been a joy to work with so far. She's letting me make two payments, one up front and one when it's done being sized and ready to ship, which is making things WAY easier on me. She does also still do the 5% off for PS members. She's lightening quick at responding to email. Since this is my first Spinel purchase I did ask a lot of questions and she said if I had any doubts that I could feel free to take the ring to AGL to get a full gem report and if anything was not as stated she would pay for a full refund including the cost of the gem report and shipping, so that really put my mind at ease. I just wanted some feedback to make sure I didn't miss some glaringly obvious issue with the stone that my untrained eye missed.

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback so far, my biggest worry was the cut since color can be hard to judge on computer monitors. I really fell in love with the OEC because my wedding set is an OEC diamond in rose gold and I wanted a RHR to match. But so far it sounds like the cut looks good. I can't wait to have it IRL!! She did send me another picture, one that was taken indoors on a piece of white paper.

icm_14.jpg

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1376889703|3505763 said:
Congratulations on taking the plunge! The photos I find helpful in judging quality are your second and your last. The second shows what looks like good cutting and pretty, delicate color. The last photo in profile shows what looks to be good proportions with a fairly high table. It shows promise and I too look forward to your photos when you have it in hand! :cheeky:

Yay! I like that you said it shows promise, thanks so much for your thoughts, makes me even more excited to see it IRL :appl:

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1376912188|3505828 said:
Not the best photos for judging, but from the 2nd photo, it looks like the cutting is very nice, which is important. Color looks delicate & pretty -- the test will be whether it grays out in low light, which you won't know till you receive it. I love the setting -- is it Sally's? Rose gold? Anyway, very good combination w/the stone. I'm looking forward to photos of it IRL!

--- Laurie

Thanks! I was also the most impressed with the second photo. It's not Sally's but I totally see the similarities now that you say that. It is 14k rose gold by JuliaBJewelry on ETSY. I can't wait to see it IRL, will definitely come back with photos.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The spinel is well cut so no issues there.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1376950847|3506189 said:
The spinel is well cut so no issues there.

Thanks! I lurk a lot and coming from you, that really puts my mind at ease :)

I did know about a little about Spinels being untreated and generally eye clean, I think maybe the seller made those notations for people who are not generally aware of that? I saw the same type of comments at some other vendor sites when I was doing my basic homework on Spinels.

Hopefully the color will turn out as amazing when I have a look at it IRL, can't wait to see :appl:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
The cut looks excellent, I really like that it has a culet. Personally I'd like to see more in colored stones.

The color looks very nice as well, I'm partial to lighter colored stones.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
GregS|1376964946|3506304 said:
The cut looks excellent, I really like that it has a culet. Personally I'd like to see more in colored stones.

The color looks very nice as well, I'm partial to lighter colored stones.

Thank you so much for your feedback :)
I really like the cut too, I hadn't seen a Spinel done in an OEC before so that's what really drew me in. I really do like the color as well, hopefully as much in person.

Thanks so much everyone, I'm feeling a lot more confidant and excited :appl:

So glad nobody said I made a horrible mistake and I must be crazy :cheeky:

alice87

Shiny_Rock
Is it taking too long to make a ring? It seems like it is ready to be shipped from the pictures.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is ready to be shipped, but I needed it sized, which only takes the seller one week, but I needed just a little longer to make the second payment, plus the shipping time, so that's why I'll have it in a little less than two weeks.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks really pretty and I love the setting! Looking forward to seeing pics when you have it in hand :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the colour, that's great, but I disagree with the vendor that the spinel has no gray. I see a lot of gray in it. It's not wrong to like the stone because it's a personal matter/taste.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1377031386|3506776 said:
If you like the colour, that's great, but I disagree with the vendor that the spinel has no gray. I see a lot of gray in it. It's not wrong to like the stone because it's a personal matter/taste.

I think I still like it even if it has gray, but just so I can learn, how can you tell? I don't really see it, would you mind horribly finding a comparison spinel with similar color but NO gray? Just so I can tell the difference, I really have fallen for these stones and plan on making future purchases and really want to know what to look for. I think the next project is going to be a blue spinel, it'll be awhile before I can do that though. I really appreciate the feedback :D

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, I think I can see the difference. Is it possible to find a Spinel that has multiple colors, such as violet in outside light and more pink inside light but no Gray? It seems like the stones with no gray have a more "solid" color, does that make sense?
Just wondering because for the future I'm thinking of a blue Spinel that is like a vivid blue with a hint of teal or green or even purple but mostly vivid blue, don't know if that even exists. I found a couple Google images of colors that I like a lot, just for an idea for color. I know it only matters if I like it, but from what I understand no gray is of more value and I'm looking at it as a heirloom piece so I want something of really good quality, color and cut (not outrageously expensive though, like under $2,000). Is that even possible?

dms110300090.jpg

__kgrhqf__qmfh-cizqhpbsdgo_hmfq__60_12.jpg

tanzanita.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one is very grey, the second is grey and green, the third has the least grey so the colour pops. Yes, there are blue spinels with minimal grey but they are not inexpensive, in demand and uncommon. The lighter the tone of blue, not to be confused with saturation, the more mixed purple and pink will be seen.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very cool, thanks so much Chrono! I think I'm getting it, takes some practicing to see the differences.

Since I'm on the subject though do you or anyone else out there (FrekeChild I know you've owned a lot, beautiful collection!) have any "leads" on any blue spinels currently listed for sale, just so I can get an idea of prices. I won't have the budget for a blue spinel for at least six months if not a year (just spent this years budget on this lovely purple ring) so I know prices will fluctuate quite a bit in that time, but just so I can start searching and preparing. I would really like something that has a really vivid blue color, but with some teal or purple to it, lots of sparkle, really good cut and preferably above 7mm, not sure on shape yet, leaning more to rounds or cushions though. Anybody know any good places to start?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are looking for what many other PSers consider their holy grail as well; it takes time and luck to find the right one. Tourmaline Lover seems to very fortunate in snagging at least 3 or 4 of these. She bought them very inexpensively too. I know a few other PSers have some nice shifters too but cannot recall their names at the moment.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOL, great just my luck! I guess I have lots of time to look :cheeky:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the tone of your new spinel stone, and the cutting, it's just the saturation of color seems to not be there.

Tone, the lightness or darkness of a stone, can be tricky with spinel. Many are very dark, but can photograph lighter than they look IRL, so you should always ask a vendor about that. You don't want it to go black or opaque looking in certain lights, with just a tiny bit of flash. At least your new stone is a lighter tone, and that, including the cutting, gives it great sparkle.

In a spinel, it's hard to find stones that are both light in tone, and saturated in color (less grey).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Rissa. I think you just have to luck out a lot. I know the only one I've seen recently was sold in just a few hours, and that's only because the seller doesn't do "drops" or really advertise. Jeff Davies is probably the best lead right now, but it's worth asking around to different cutters. I'd look to have an idea of what you want, and have available funds to snap one up if it pops up randomly before you're "ready".

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TL|1377060719|3507079 said:
I like the tone of your new spinel stone, and the cutting, it's just the saturation of color seems to not be there.

Tone, the lightness or darkness of a stone, can be tricky with spinel. Many are very dark, but can photograph lighter than they look IRL, so you should always ask a vendor about that. You don't want it to go black or opaque looking in certain lights, with just a tiny bit of flash. At least your new stone is a lighter tone, and that, including the cutting, gives it great sparkle.

In a spinel, it's hard to find stones that are both light in tone, and saturated in color (less grey).

Okay so don't make fun but I just had to look all that up :lol:

So hue is the overall type of color: red, blue, green, etc... and saturation is the intensity of that color...and tone is the depth of color lighter/darker. Did I get that right?

So basically my new spinel (going off of vendor photos until I see it IRL), has a purple/pink hue, low saturation, and medium to light tone? Which is okay as long as I like it.

But personal preferences aside a "desired" purple/pink spinel with high saturation would be more like these images I found on Google?

_9106.jpg

_9107.jpg

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1377063763|3507107 said:
Thanks Rissa. I think you just have to luck out a lot. I know the only one I've seen recently was sold in just a few hours, and that's only because the seller doesn't do "drops" or really advertise. Jeff Davies is probably the best lead right now, but it's worth asking around to different cutters. I'd look to have an idea of what you want, and have available funds to snap one up if it pops up randomly before you're "ready".

Your Welcome :bigsmile:

So since I don't have the funds yet I feel like it's safe to share this stone. I found it on ebay, the seller has perfect feedback and tons of sales which is comforting and a good sign, but if you look at the store and look at all the Spinels they all seem too "perfect" for the in my opinion lower prices, plus each stone only has one photo which they post multiple times. Is this seller too good to be true? Are synthetic Spinels common? What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290916020707?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

same seller...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-62cts-Superb-Neon-Splash-Note-Worthy-Persian-Rose-Spinel-Tanzania-5648-/290906412841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bb5f9729

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RissaLou|1377064547|3507112 said:
TL|1377060719|3507079 said:

Okay so don't make fun but I just had to look all that up :lol:

So hue is the overall type of color: red, blue, green, etc... and saturation is the intensity of that color...and tone is the depth of color lighter/darker. Did I get that right?

So basically my new spinel (going off of vendor photos until I see it IRL), has a purple/pink hue, low saturation, and medium to light tone? Which is okay as long as I like it.

But personal preferences aside a "desired" purple/pink spinel with high saturation would be more like these images I found on Google?

Yes, you are correct about hue, saturation and tone. :appl: Your stone is a purple hue, medium to medium light tone, and lower saturation.

You have to learn how to read spinel photos too. In my personal experience, I find that spinel photos tend to photograph lighter than they are, and also the saturation is stronger in photos as well. I suspect the top stone is slightly brownish (red spinels tend to show brown, and blue/purple/violet stones tend to show gray), and slightly darker IRL. I also suspect the bottom stone is very dark (another word for very dark is extinct). Many red/pink spinels also tend to shift to a more brown or orange color in certain lighting as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results