shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible issue with a spinel that I just bought

rwillya

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking here for about a year while I have been looking for a spinel for my girlfriend to make into a ring. Last week, I finally decided to purchase a mahenge spinel from Andrew on gemfix. If you want to take a look, the picture and information are still up on the site, it is the Mahenge Spinel Modified Round Brilliant with the weight of 1.36 cts and is 11th stone and the middle stone in the 4th row on the spinel page. I just received the stone today and it is absolutely gorgeous. The color and clarity are phenomenal and it really sparkles in all types of lighting. However, I felt a rough spot on the girdle and I looked at it under a loupe. The rough spot looks like it could be an abrasion or a very small chip or even a bit of adhesive substance stuck to that spot. I paid a decent amount of money for the stone and I want it to be perfect but I don't know what exactly is going on with this spot on the girdle. I assume that this information would have been included and explicitly stated in the listing and the description of the stone. Should I take it to my jeweler to see what it really is? Like I said, it is pretty hard to see under the loupe but it is very easy to feel and notice while touching it.

Thanks,
-Rob

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would take it to your jeweler, and ask to look at it under a microscope. And depending on what you see and how you feel about it, I'd contact GemFix and go from there.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sapphire in my engagement ring has the same deal. Reaaaaally hard to see under a loupe, but there's some sort of nick on the girdle. No idea if it happened before setting or while being set. I asked about it, no one could tell me. I like the stone so I kept it. Three and a half years later it's still fine so. I agree with Freke's advice. I think in a spinel it probably isn't a dealbreaker if you still like the stone, but please do ask about it regardless.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The color is so yummy you could practically eat it! Freke's advice is good. Knowing that Gemfix is trustworthy, I'd be tempted to email them right away & ask about it. Can't hurt to take a peek through a microscope though -- and you'll be fascinated at what else you see.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's most likely what we call a 'natural' which is what we call a spot that didn't quit cut out. When cutting a stone you are often faced with this, and the options are:

1. Leave alone,normally it can't be seen face up.
2. Cut it out by making the whole stone smaller,
3. Cut it out by by just bringing more in that area, which will make the stone a little bit lopsided.

Normally the best option is 1

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I bought a garnet from them once with a similar issue and it did turn out to be one of said 'naturals.' Once set it was no issue at all, and I still love my stone. That spinel is to die for, by the way!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is one beautiful stone!!! Gene's explanation is awesome & you have great advice - if the natural doesn't affect the integrity of the stone (I have a stone with one too, and it's completely fine), then bonus - you got a larger size in such a nice color!

syd

Shiny_Rock
I'd love to see some photos of this stone!! I considered purchasing it myself.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a natural so I wouldn't sweat it as long as you love the colour and cannot see it with the naked eye.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results